FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 1st Annual Hatrack Six Rejections Game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 1st Annual Hatrack Six Rejections Game
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. This is going to be awesome. And this time you won't even have to clean up my vomit! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

So we have Paul, Boris, and rivka all tied at one apiece. We're off to a rip-roarin' start! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked, but did not get a rejection. It was for a second date, so I'm not sure if that counts, but I don't think I want it to go anywhere. Can I still play?

[ February 18, 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you dump the guy, Katie, it doesn't count.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
She can't count that, but if she keeps asking guys out she can keep playing until she finds on she does want it to go somewhere with, though. I think that's what she was asking... it's not like she got disqualified 'cause someone said yes.

But are there penalty points? [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I want to play. But--

1) I'm too chicken to ask anyone out.
2) All the guys I know are either too young, too old or taken, except for one...
3) ...and that's a delicate situation (i.e. I'm too chicken).

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know the rules for online dating sites.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
This game scares me.

If history is any guide*, I could easily get to six in a row, but the problem is I meet someone I would like to date about once a year. And each one raises the bar for the next, since I only want to date spectacular women.

I've tried lowering my standards. Didn't work well.

*This data reflects past performance and is in no way a guaranteed indicator of future results.

[ February 18, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not gonna play. I mean - which guy could possibly reject me?

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I just realized that this game will most likely cause me to break Kat's Rule of Life #6: Do not discuss love life or lack thereof on Hatrack.

Then again, maybe it's time. If I date someone y'all know, though, it's back in force.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a terrible thing to do to someone. I mean, if you couldn't BRAG that you were dating Kat...
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
well, actually, the guy could brag, but kat couldn't talk about him.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Blushing] You're very sweet.

Added: I think. Depending on what the last half of the sentence was going to be. [Razz]

[ February 18, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

twinky
Member # 693

Here's what I'm thinking for online dating sites: they count if it's your only reasonable option.

A possible alternative rule is: they count if it's your only reasonable option, to a maximum of five points.

quote:
I'm too chicken to ask anyone out.
fiazko, the whole point of the game is to overcome the chicken complex. [Smile] So. Ask him!

Katie, of course you can still play. Getting a "yes" does not disqualify you.

ElJay
Member # 6358

But what about penalty points?

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

quote:
Added: I think. Depending on what the last half of the sentence was going to be.
Doh! I was hoping that would pass unnoticed. [Cool]

The sentiment was intended to be sweet and a little funny. [Smile]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, I read this and the competetive part of me says, "Hey! A contest I could totally win!" Then the rest of me says, "But, dude man, you've been single for the past few years because of a genuine disinterest. Sure there've been some cool girls, but really, who has the time? The inclination? Besides, if she says no you'll ruin your 100% record "

And, really, it's all about keeping that record.

Pish. I had a ten year no dating streak going when Bob asked me out.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

That's because Bob is the only guy cool enough to have a chance.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an nearly nineteen year no-dating streak.

...wait...

[Sleep]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Confused]

That almost makes sense... if it wasn't for the [Sleep]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I invited someone to come see me play tonight and she declined... am I on the leader board now?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

That's not a date.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there. The streak is that I've never been *turned down*, not that I havne't gone out on dates. Just thought I'd clear that up lest someone think I was less of a man.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
ah! cruelly hampered by narrow limitations which prevent me from exploiting my inherent Dallas Male advantage in this contest!

*goes off to try again*

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It's not much of a streak if you measure it the *right* way, which is absolute number of attempts, rather than taking a time basis.

Just thought I'd, um, throw that one out there.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Curse you and your game of numbers! *shakes fist*
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It isn't too late to join the game. And I imagine it won't be too late to join the game when you're done with finals, either...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading the title of this as "Sex rejections".... [Big Grin]

[ February 19, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming it's not legal to tell the person you're asking out that you're playing to see who can get to six rejections first?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to decide if that would (in most cases) make you more or less likely to rack up a point.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*bump*

You people are supposed to be entertaining me! Ask more people out. [Razz]

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I need the social life. Tomorrow I will pursue my first rejection!
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yay!

[Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
That almost makes sense... if it wasn't for the [Sleep]
I'm almost nineteen years old. No date. But mainly because I don't try (hence the [Sleep] ) I think.

[Sleep]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

So you're in the same boat as Shigosei, then. *nods*

After discovering today that every single one of my immediate co-workers is either married or in a live-in relationship, and that everyone who isn't after a couple of years here typically leaves for somewhere else, I have resolved to remain single indefinitely. This has the added benefit of not changing my existing plans. [Razz]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Heh, you're only broadcasting that because the unattainable is so desirable.

Heck, *I'm* starting to want you.

twinky
Member # 693

Come down this weekend, then. Bring flowers. [Wink]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Have the tables turned? Is this a BtL booty call? [Wink]
twinky
Member # 693

[Big Grin]

Sure. I'm ready. Bring it on. [Razz]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Oh, it's already been broughtED!

(Incidentally, this means you're at -1 in the six rejections game. Sorry).

twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]
Teshi
Member # 5024

O.o
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Hmm...went on said date, everything was fine, NO chemistry, no connection, but not boring, so all in all, a positive experience that will not be repeated.

And...I'm out. There's no one else around here I'm even close to wanting. If I am to play, I need ideas.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Heh, you're only broadcasting that because the unattainable is so desirable.
In all seriousness, I was broadcasting it because I was pretty disturbed by it. If there's really so little to do around here that the only thing people can find to occupy themselves is marriage, I'm going to have a long couple of years. Time to dust off the ol' resume, I guess... not that it really had time to get dusty.

It's like people come here, and within a couple of years they're either married and buying a house to settle down or they're leaving. I may not even last the three years I need to get my P. Eng.

---------

Katie, do you limit your dating pool exclusively to fellow Mormons?

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Woah there. The streak is that I've never been *turned down*, not that I havne't gone out on dates. Just thought I'd clear that up lest someone think I was less of a man.
This almost makes me want to start a conspiracy among askees of wherever you are to crush your pride a little. [Razz] [Wink]

Edit: I've decided this sounds really mean-spirited. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited. I'm just joking.

[ March 15, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Twinky...well...it kind of depends what the point is. Just for fun, no problem, that sounds wonderful. Anything serious, though, and him being LDS is actually very important to me, so it doesn't seem quite honest to date anyone without saying that in the beginning.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes two.

Details available to twinky by email, if requested. All I'm saying here is it was online, but not via a dating site.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sorry to hear that, rivka, although it does mean you're winning. [Wink]
twinky
Member # 693

That puts rivka at two. And "not via a dating site" is a step in the right direction, rivka! Good stuff! [Smile]

So, do we have updates from anyone else? Paul? Boris? Katie? I hear Jim's happily out of contention... [Big Grin]

Also, BtL, go back and look at your post at the bottom of page one. Now try to tell me that it wasn't a dirty rotten lie. You lying liar.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.