FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, because we need a new one: Cute things my kid did recently (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Okay, because we need a new one: Cute things my kid did recently
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta's boys are adorable little munchkins, Robert and Liam(William).

Sunday night after most of the people at Wenchcon had gone home, we went to a Mexican place with a patio. We were the only group there so the kids ran wild, encouraged by Ben and Lyndsie (who scratches, btw).
I introduced myself to the boys as just Morbo, and asked if they remembered me from last year. They didn't, but Robert said, "Morbo, that's a cooool name!"
We stated playing keep-the-ball-away-from-Ben, or-nail-him-with-it with a ball of aluminum foil, then somebody was talking about friends , and I jokingly said "Morbo doesn't have any friends."
Robert looked at me, stricken, and missing a front tooth, and said,"Morbo, don't you want to be fwiends?"
(OK, he didn't lisp--but I totally flashed on those orphan kids that appear on the Simpsons occasionally.)
What could I say? I told him in his case I would make an exception. I was moved. [Smile]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia's kids are the best. [Smile] She's a great mom.

I had Daniel in the car alone with me, a rare occurrence. Hard when you're a twin to get alone time with Mommy. Anyway, we were running errands and passed the Healthsouth hospital that is under construction - it's a very modern building, lots of glass and steel.

Daniel says "Mama! Look at that building!"

Me: "I see it. What do you think it is?"

Daniel: "It's the aliens building."

Me: "Aliens? Aliens live there?"

Daniel: "Yes they do."

Me:"Are they good aliens or bad aliens"

Daniel: "All aliens are bad aliens Mama. Aliens are evil - don't you remember that?"

I guess I slept through that lesson. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of nights ago, Rainbow yelled for me from her room a little while after I'd tucked her into bed for the night. When I went in, she wanted me to pray night-night to Jesus. Since I'd already done that 15 minutes earlier, I asked her if *she* would like to do the praying this time.

She folded her hands like she always does, and said in her sweet little lisp, "Dear Jethuth, bleth Mommy and Daddy and Christhian and Lucky.

And bleth thith food. Amen."

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] When I dropped Thomas off this morning, he said 'Bye Bye! Love you!' without me having said love you first. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Not cute but made me proud nonetheless...

The kids and I went away for an organized stitching retreat this weekend in the Flint, MI area. Missy (the ADHD 8-yr-old) was amazingly wellbehaved and under control. I had several of the ladies there, many of whom had heard some of the medication horror stories from the summer, come up to me and compliment me on how wonderful she was. Considering the organizing shop's owner and I were both hesitant about her ability to survive the weekend, I'm EXTREMELY relieved and proud of her.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday we took Thomas to his first Circus, he loved it (especailly the elephants) after the show he rode one with his pappa. We were all standing around putting on our jackets and Thomas ran back in line and tried to get on the elephant again!
http://www.gamesmaq.net/gallery/album01/IM001543

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Psst Jen, I already posted about that in MY thread. [Wink] But I didn't link to the Elephant picture.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, but I wanted to make my own post - you always post everything [Wink]
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I just have to share the goodness that is my Thomas.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma has discovered that if you move your finger around in your mouth while making noise, the noise changes. We are treated to said noise at entirely unpredictable times. [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine gave Ryan some graham crackers for a snack the other day. He always wants some in each hand. After he ate the one in his right hand, he made the sign for more. Kristine told him "You still have some. I can't give you anymore til those are gone." Ryan took his last cracker, set it down on his table and came back and made the sign for more again.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That so sounds like something Emma would do. [Big Grin] We usually solve that problem by giving her the amount she's going to get, set out in front of her, then putting the box out of sight.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Every year they have a bike race called Tour de Georgia, and we've taken the boys to see some of the stages each year. It's become a tradition. We like to ride as a family, and the kids get a kick out of the sport.

We usually see one or two of the stages that occur in and around Rome, Georgia, because my in-laws are and we can visit with them afterwards.

This year we visted a bit long for a school night, and the kids were WIRED when we got in the car to go home. Plus, they had those little noise-maker clapping hand things that were, I assure you, much more fun at the races than in a closed, smallish car on the interstate.

Robert (7) had a clapper, but Liam's (5) had long since been put away. Liam was singing songs, which was fine since he has such a sweet voice, but soon it devolved into screetching and sound effects. I told them to keep it down, use their 'inside voices' (a term that really annoys me, even when I use it). Worked for a short while, and then it started again.

I put my hand in the back seat and said, "Hand it over." Robert had been warned. I said I'd take it away, so I did. Liam kept up with the verbal shenanigans, so Ron said, "Mama took Robert's clapper, Liam, but she'll have to rip you lips off to keep you quite."

That sounds horrible, but Ron is always making outrageous claims of beatings and so forth, which the kids usually find quite amusing, for some reason.

But Liam did not find it amusing THIS time. He said, "But without my lips I can't..." and the rest was lost in horrible, broken-hearted wailing. He was over-tired. It totally didn't help that Ron and Robert were both laughing.

I finally got him clamed down with multiple assurances that I would NEVER under ANY circumstances, remove his lips. I petted him and told him I love him and he just needed some rest, etc.

When it was over, I asked him what he was trying to say when he thought he was going to lose his lips. He said, "I didn't want to lose my lips because then I couldn't kiss mama anymore."

[Kiss]

I dread the days when they'll pretend they don't know me in public. They both know how sustaining I find their little hugs and kisses. *sigh*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awwww!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
AW. how cute that is!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

He's so sweet. Poor baby!

I know it is, Wes does the same thing, he's always joking with them that if they don't behave he's going to "lay the smackdown on them" and jokes and kids. Emily is always the one of mine that will take something literally and get upset.

I don't have anything cute that anyone has said recently, but I do have some pictures from Abigail's dance recital.

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/Abigails-performance-002.jpg

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/Abigails-performance-004.jpg

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/Abigails-performance-008.jpg

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

OMG, she's grown a foot taller since I've seen her! At least! So pretty...
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, she's beautuful! What was her role?

Funny story...a few nights ago I was reading Andrew a book about prehistoric mammals. When we came to "the largest land carnivore", he exclaimed "I'm that Andrewsarchus! I have big pointy teeth! I eat yummy meat!"

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

romany she was a mouse. In the performance she has mouse ears, but they confiscated them afterwards to keep for picture week. Apparently too many ears have been lost in the past. [Razz]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta say, this is one of my favorite threads on Hatrack.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I understand, Belle! At our "performance info meeting", Livvie's teacher told the girls, "When you get your costume, you get to try it one ONCE for your family, and then your parents will hide it until dress rehearsals".
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Having made ballet costumes and seen how much work goes into even the little, simple ones, I totally understand that. Those are adorable pictures, Belle! [Smile] I can't wait until Ems is old enough for Irish dance. I will, of course, let her choose any kind of dance she wants, or no dance at all, but she starts dancing whenever she hears any kind of Celtic dance music (as well as fiddling in general), and when we caught part of Riverdance on PBS and I allowed her to watch it, she was enthralled, and it just seems to run in the genes, so...

[ April 25, 2005, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

So, now I have to tell one on Robert. We recently saw the Simpsons where Homer hid inside a fake robot for Robot Wars, because he couldn't really build one for Bart. As the Simpsons go, it was a bit off, but it still showed what Homer was willing to go through to bond with Bart.

Robert REALLY likes the idea of building a robot. He was talking to Ron about it, and it went went something like this:

Robert: Wouldn't it be cool if you really could build robots to fight robots that other people had built?

Dad: People do it all the time! There's even a TV show where people go on and fight their robots.

Robert: 0.0 *runs off to get his sketchbook*

Hours later...

Robert: Mom, Dad, look at the designs I made for robots we can build! And on this page I made a graph, where you can vote for the ones you like best, using tally marks. Your first choice gets three tally marks, second choice two and third choice gets one. Please check your name off at the bottom after you vote.

Mom and Dad: O.O 0.0

So, Dad goes over the designs with him to see which would be most feasable (Super Chicken was the most fanciful, but least practical) and they come up with one last design together.

Then everyone got to vote, even Liam and Uncle Mark. Orbis, the last design that he and Dad worked on together, won.

So, I guess we're building a robot. [Eek!]

TheTick
Member # 2883

I have to share this one here...We went to the Toronto Zoo on Sunday and at one point our progress was stopped on a path by a couple of birds. Thomas, all by himself, honked the horn on his little steering wheel and said "scuse me! Birdies, scuse me!" [Smile] So polite.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Olivia, if you want some recommendations on good books on robot-building, my brother-in-law is on the robotics team at his HS, and has been building robots since he was about 8. I could ask him for some resources, I'm sure he has lots. [Big Grin]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie has been waking up about twice a night because of her congestion, usually at 1 and at 4.

I woke up at 1 last night to hear a very sweet baby voice singing herself back to sleep. It melted my heart.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Aww. I remember those days. *sigh*

kq- Could you email me some links, or something. Ron did a bit of Robotics, but it was a loooong time ago. I think this may be a truly fun summer project for us.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Brigham comes running in my room
"Mommy am I a person"
"Yes Brig you are a person"
"See Stephen I AM a Person!!!"

Later on we hear
"I am a person"
"But you aren't the person in charge"
"Mommy am I a person"
now we are catching on to his line of thinking....

"Yes Brig but not the person in charge..." Now when we say don't be bossy he says "But I a person" [Razz]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This morning, Emma was sitting in her high chair, eating her breakfast, and mine was cooking. Jeff asked, "Do you want your present?" I said, "Ooh, I get a present?" Emma, hearing "present" several times, pointed at me and said, "Birthday?" [Big Grin] Her birthday was a month ago, and her party a few weeks ago, and although we had talked to her about what a birthday is and that we give presents on birthdays, I didn't know she'd picked it up!
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, aren't we supposed to have some photos of a chocolate coated, cherub-faced little girl? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. They're still on the camera. [Blushing]
Belle
Member # 2314

I was registering the twins for kindergarten, and I asked the principal if they split up twins. He said yes, and I said good - I wanted them split. He said usually parents were arguing to keep them together.

I said no, Abigail is too domineering, she answers all the questions posed to Daniel and he'd never learn anything with her in the room. Then Abigail pipes up "But I only answer them because he gets them wrong!"

[ROFL]

The principal was amused.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
We were asking the kids if they knew who they are and why they are here.

Brig of course answers with his full name plus the attachments of Pan and Jack Jack then when we ask him why he is here he says

"Because you earned me at the store"

If only it were that easy [Big Grin]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my little sisters into Bollywood. We started withLagaan, and the 10-year-old decided she has a crush on Bhuvan. They watch it, with the subtitles, and then quote it in Hindi to each other.

Yesterday, we turned on the soundtrack for some nice background music, and next thing I knew, the two girls and their 6-year-old brother were all dancing the exact choreography from the song "Mitwa." It's cute, you see, when little kids dance, but it's even cuter when little kids, of their own accord, learn all the steps in Indian musicals.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, my step-father-in-law is from India, and brought back some of those little bell anklets and bracelets. I don't know if you can find them here, but they are beautiful, and make an amazing sound when danced with.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooooh. Neat!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Emily my 7 year old started gymnastics in September, in the Beginner class. In February she got moved up to the Intermediate class, which was very exciting for her to move up so fast in her first year. I was warned by other moms that the leap from Intermediate to Advanced was a tougher one that the one from Beginner to Intermediate and that it would take much longer. One girl in our class was already on her 2nd year of Intermediate.

Well, this week Emily was moved up to Advanced! In less than a year from starting. And, she is the youngest girl in the advanced class, all the others are 8, 9, or 11.

The next level after this is competition team, which starts on level 3. The coaches told me there was a slim chance Emily could advance quickly enough to qualify for the team this fall, however, since they have to order uniforms in June most likely she'll spend the year in Advanced and go to the competition team when the following year. But, if she progresses past level 3, which is expected, she'll start competing at level 4 or 5.

She is excited, and I'm happy for her, it's just evidence of her hard work and dedication (not to mention some natural born athletic ability) She enjoys it so much, and is having tons of fun, and I'm very proud of her. [Smile]

romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
Annie, my step-father-in-law is from India, and brought back some of those little bell anklets and bracelets. I don't know if you can find them here, but they are beautiful, and make an amazing sound when danced with.
Cost Plus! Brian got me some there a few years ago.

Andrew, with unfailing toddler grammar, has decided that the singular form of cheese is "chee". For example, a pile of grated cheese is cheese, but one strand of it is chee.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I sang Willie Nelson's Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain to my daughter last night. She grinned ear to ear through the whole thing and made singingish noises during the high parts. It was super adoriable.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

PC, wait until the wee one decides she likes a song well enough to ask for it. [Smile] Thomas asks for 'twinkle star' and will sing the first two lines. [Big Grin]
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the bathroom at the grocery store the other day and in the stall next to me was a mom and her daughter. I found their conversation hilarious

Little girl: Mommy why I on the toilet?
Mom: So you can go potty?
Little girl: but why ON the toilet?
Mom: I told you so you can go potty
Little girl: But why can't I sit in the middle?
Mom: pauses, well you might fall in
Little girl: oh... few seconds later... but why
Mom: Do you want to fall in the toilet
Little girl: it'd be like a pool party
The logic of three year olds [Smile]

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 year old will sit on my lap when I'm at the computer and put her head right in frot of mine so I can't see the screen. Then she puts her arms around my neck to give me a kiss. But it's mostly so she can be in the way, but in such a way that you can't get after her. I mean she is giving me kisses. How can you get after her for that? She is being really giggley when she does it so she does know that she is getting in the way. [Kiss]

She tries to count like this "1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2,..."

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I've got two stories for you. They involve the following characters: Hagan (6), Emarie (8) and Bonnie (10)

Hagan: My foot's asleep.
Me: Uh oh. Wake it up!
Hagan: Howcome they call it being asleep when it feels like that?
Me: I don't know. Maybe because it's numb.
Hagan: (silent pause) I know why.
Me: Why?
Hagan: Because it feels like someone's snoring in there!

Hagan: I watched a movie at Riley's house about Arnold Swarsaneger.
Bonnie: About who?
Hagan: Arnold Swarsaneger. He's a movie star.
Bonnie: He is not. You dummy - he's a president.
Emarie: Nu-uh. The President is George Bush.
Bonnie: Well, he used to be president. Or he's dead.
Hagan: He is not dead! He's a movie star!
Bonnie: He's the president!
Emarie: He is not! Papa told me he's the king of California.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I don't know if you all will think this is cute, but we thought it was adorable.

The other day, Emma had had her last drinkable yogurt (which she loves) that morning at breakfast. The empty container was sitting on the counter to remind us that we needed more.

Emma calls from the kitchen: "Mama! Mama! Here!"
I walk in.
Me: "Yes, Emsie?"
Emma (holding arms up and pointing): "Go dere now!"
I pick Emma up.
Emma (pointing to counter): "Dere!"
I walk with her to counter.
Emma (pointing at yogurt): "Want dat!"
Me: "We're all out of yogurt, sweetie."
Emma: "Want yogur!"
Me: "We don't have any. We can call Abba and he can get some for you, okay?"
Emma thinks.
Emma: "Abba geh?"
Me: "Okay. We'll call Abba, and he'll get some."
Emma (pointing to phone): "Abba!"

I call Jeff. He agrees to pick some up.
Me: "Okay, Emma. Abba will bring you some yogurt when he comes home."

Emma spends the next half hour playing, but periodically crawls or cruises over to check the window and see if Abba is coming. When he gets home and she hears the key turn in the lock, she makes a beeline for the door.

Jeff walks in.
Emma: "Abba! Yogur!"

[Big Grin] Hey, at least she's using words to ask what she wants, right? It could be worse; she could know what she wants and not be able to make us understand.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* That little girl has you both wrapped so tight around her finger!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes.

I think next we should work on "please".

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good plan. [Smile]

Besides, it's so cute when little tongues can't quite say it and it comes out "pwease" or "peas." [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Liam Graduated from preschool last night. Little paper graduate hats, Pomp and Circumstance and everything. *sigh*
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Heather (11) had her spring choral concert last night. Turns out that the 8th graders had done prep concerts at the grade schools in the last month, so Missy (8) was sitting in the audience with me singing along to the Motown songs that the 8th graders were performing. I of course didn't know about the prep concerts until they were about to perform their last song, so I had no idea how Missy knew these songs as well as she did on her first hearing...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.