FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, It's Official (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay, It's Official
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies officially suck and are the height of lame.

Even ice cream, when overconsumed, becomes a force for evil. Dobies were never ice cream. There have been, maybe, five people in the history of Hatrack that could work a successful dobie. They have not been making dobies for a long time.

You are not one of them. For the love of all that is good and holy in the universe, please. freaking. stop.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most things that are good and holy in the universe don't care about Hatrack dobies.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yes, your opinion is very important.

Stop making dobies.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
When dobies are outlawed, only outlaws will have dobies.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

That's a very interesting point of view.

Stop making dobies.

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the word you're looking for is officious.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
Yes, your opinion is very important.

Stop making dobies.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
what the heck are dobies? (like doo-bees?)
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that your new signature, Ralphie? [Wink] You do realize that the response to this will probably be a whole boatload of new Dobies, right? (perhaps by mentioning this here it won't happen)
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yes, it's very important that all voices be heard.

Stop making dobies.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings* do be do be do
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Ralphie on this one.

Ralphie said it.

I heard it.

I agreed with it.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is that your new signature, Ralphie? [Wink] You do realize that the response to this will probably be a whole boatload of new Dobies, right? (perhaps by mentioning this here it won't happen)
Yes. Yes it will. And no, mentioning it here won't stop it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Stop making dobies, start making babies: It's a lot more fun.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There have been, maybe, five people in the history of Hatrack that could work a successful dobie. They have not been making dobies for a long time.

Not true. I still make one every once in a while.

But I agree with you in general.

Storm Saxon in particular should not make a dobie ever again.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ralphie, I know this has been asked before, but what is the chance of you dumping what's-his-name and joining me for some sweet, oh so sweet love making?

I'd be willing to pay.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Is that your new signature, Ralphie? You do realize that the response to this will probably be a whole boatload of new Dobies, right? (perhaps by mentioning this here it won't happen)
I hope so, Tick.

I've been trying to wait this stupid dobie thing out. There have been times in the past when a thread was particularly dobie-able, and a rash of dobies will come through in the tide, and then disappear. But this is thread after thread after thread.

They've just become lame. One post wonders, clogging up the front page and making it nearly impossible to tell solid threads - where people have put time and effort and thought into their words - from stupid crap. Oh, I know. If I lived here like I once did I probably would be able to tell it all apart. But I don't, and so I'm at the mercy of limited time.

If I was a newbie, however, upon seeing all the dobies I would give this board all of two seconds before I bolted.

edit:
quote:
Not true. I still make one every once in a while.
It's true - you were one of the five. Dobie (the originator). Bob_Scopatz can throw a dobie out. Papa Moose can turn a dobie. And there's assuredly one more... who would absolutely have to be Zalmoxis. (Love you, baby.) And Strider gets an honorable mention.

quote:
I think the word you're looking for is officious.
I3 - I know you're particularly sensitive to people being bossy, but c'mon man. You're smart, intuitive and have a good sense of humor. Even you have to admit this has gotten out of hand.

[ February 24, 2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Here's a crazy thought . . . why do people reply to dobies that are not funny?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

That's not as crazy as you led me to believe, Ick.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Because in-group, non-funny humor is a central component in certain types of communities, especially when there's been conflict that people are trying to cover over instead of deal with.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the list...

While dobies can be funny, it's gone too far this time. Please invest your creative energy elsewhere. Pretty please?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Oh and Ralphie, I'm going to take your silence on the love making to be a yes.

Where do you live again?

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Here's a crazy thought . . . why do people reply to dobies that are not funny?
Because, while it may not be funny, it can be mildly witty and people want to be a part of something witty.

But mildly witty doesn't justify the rampage. And once it gets on a role, I think people start to participate simply because it seems like the 'thing' of the moment. Forum version of black jelly bracelets in high school.

edit: Oh, and what Squick said.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Oh and Ralphie, I'm going to take your silence on the love making to be a yes.

If we run off together, we're going to live in Ireland. I won't budge on this one.
jebus202
Member # 2524

Oh damn! So you mean I have to have hot sex with you and I have to stay right where I am for it!?

That just sucks.

urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Storm Saxon in particular should not make a dobie ever again.

After all I do for you, Mr. Icarus!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Oh damn! So you mean I have to have hot sex with you and I have to stay right where I am for it!?
Yeah, but don't throw this topic off its course, man!

I'm staging a Down With Dobies protest, here, and I'm mean bidnazz. [Mad]

[ February 23, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I'm gonna get an ass-kicking for this one, but...

quote:
Yeah, but don't throw this topic off it's course, man!
Its.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The Rule of Dobie #1: Wait 10 minutes.

If your Dobie is still funny, see Rule #2: Only One Dobie.

The humor of a Dobie is inversely proportional to the number of Dobies.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie:

You've forgotten me already?

And here I was thinking that our love was forever.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Its.
In the spirit of self-policing, I have editted my post for you, Ryuko.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
. . . especially when there's been conflict that people are trying to cover over instead of deal with.
Hmm. That's interesting. You're undoubtedly onto something, but I find it interesting because I cringe most when the really serious or painful threads are dobied. I know the dobie-starter is not intending to mock the hurt that went on in the thread--perhaps the intent is even to alleviate it--but it tends to set off my discomfort alarm.

Except for "Good Cod, OSC." That was just too funny. [Big Grin]

-o-

And, since you mentioned Papa Moose, I must say I still smile every time I think of "Should we go to war with a rack?"

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Zal - I forgot thee only in a moment of passion for my cause. Forgive me.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I move we all adopt The Tick's guidelines.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Zal - I forgot thee only in a moment of passion for my cause. Forgive me.
Oh, you're just a tease.

Typical.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

As you wish.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie : the official cleaning product of the Hatrack River Forum.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I move we all adopt The Tick's guidelines.
I think they're solid principles. Sadly, nothing can be enforced. This isn't a call for rules, this is a call for common comedic sense.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I know. But maybe if lots of people endorse them, they will stick.

And yes, of course I mean Tick's. Whose did you think I meant? [Razz]

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the principle, but not necessarily the sentiment. You'll note that I could have dobied to accomplish the same goal.

And I wouldn't choose the word "bossy." That is clearly not a gender-neutral term and bears underlying connotations wiith which I strongly disagree. I prefer officious. [Smile] [Razz]

[ February 23, 2005, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

And, yet, if my officious manner is the end to this particular rash of dobies, I'll have felt it was worth while.

Are you this sensitive in real life? [Razz] [Smile]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

For the record I fully endorse Ralphie's campaign.

But also add that in the grand scheme of things I don't care one whit if people stop making dobies.

Why?

Because I know that one day they will be brought before whatever God(s) or memes they worship (or don't worship) and he/she/they/it/not-it will not ask them if they've been a good person or if they've followed all the commandments/rules/injunctions/whims etc.

No. He/she/they/it/not-it will simply say:

MAKE ME LAUGH.

And they will fail. And then experience some sort of incredibly painful (or perhaps just pianfully embarrassing) cosmic punishment.

EDIT: painfully -- or maybe pianfully. I suppose it all depends. Perhaps someone out there worships Pian.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

So, really, it's a kindness before they go to the great gig in the sky to smack them down now.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to add is:

Think of the kittens!

Otherwise:
Ralphie said it
I believe it
That settles it.

[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Think of the kittens!
Uh, what kind of dobies have you guys been making?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly witty? We must have different ideas of what "wit" means.

Dobies are down on the scale of humour with "your mamma" jokes. Once one person starts, everyone else seems to follow. Maybe you smirked despite yourself the first time you heard it, but after that all future tellings caused you to envy the deaf.

As to why people post on dobies that aren't funny, I think it's the same reason people post "lol" or "rofl" all the time. It has nothing to do with actual laughter, it's more like acknowledging that the other person has attempted to be funny. Or witty, if you will. "Oh look. You've posted something that was probably intended to make me laugh. Well, it didn't, not even on the inside, but I recognize that you were trying to be funny. Sadly it's too lame for me to muster an actual reply so here's an lol!!11!1 for you. I hope it keeps you warm at night you sad, sad, unfunny person."

And so on and so forth.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Dobies are more humorous than practically all puns (in other words, barely humorous at all), and those are encouraged on this board.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Dose this mean I can't make a "How would you react if your child came out as feyd" dobie?

*sniff*

But in all seriousness, I agree with the stong non-dobie stance. Looking over the first two pages is just depressing really; something about Hatrack's version of empty calories. Don't we have a thread we could quarentine these things in?

Feyd Baron, DoC

PS: The DoC does NOT approve of dobies. Any DoC member caught supporting or creating said threads will be flayed. Twice. Oh and hi Ralphie, remember me?

EDIT: Because with me, every post is guarenteed to have at least one typo.

[ February 23, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.