FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Protein? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Protein?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
According to that science show with Alan Alda it is.

BTW, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
True. Although the respiration would be direct, and any protein synthesis would be indirect, neh?

*mutter* I taught yeast yesterday. You couldn't have told me this Tuesday? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I had better information for you. But the yeast has to grow a body in addition to energy, after all.

We teach about how plants do photosynthesis and respiration, but when do we explain where cellulose comes from?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* All God's critters -- even itty bitty bacteria -- synthesize proteins. [Big Grin] It's the "while bread is rising" part I was having difficulty with. But as the yeasties will be rapidly growing and budding, I imagine they must be doing all kinds of synthesis. It's silly, but I somehow am used to only thinking about the process making the bubbles. [Wink]

Since cellulose is just chains of glucose, I talk about it the first time when we discuss polymers, and compare starch and cellulose. (And then when we talk about cell walls, and when we talk about nutrition and fiber, and . . .)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because it hasn't been specified, and you can never tell...

We're talking about BROWN rice here, folks.

Actually, beans and white rice together make a complete protein. Brown rice on its own is a more complete protein than white rice, and you get more overall protein if you eat brown rice with beans than white, but it's not necessary to eat brown rice with beans to make a complete protein. Any rice will do. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm searching through the dusty reserves of my mind here, but I'm drawing a blank at this super animal and seaweed nutrient. I mean, it's approaching a decade that I've been vegan and I should totally be in the throes of some disease or another if that were the case, shouldn't I?

Unless people have been slipping meat into my dishes for a long time now. Which would be kind of cool, that they've been able to do it without me noticing for all these years.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Vitamin B-12 might be a greater concern to vegetarians than protein intake. Vitamin B-12 is only found naturally in animal products. B-12 supplements are added into many vegetarian products and most breakfast cereals, but these supplements are sometimes synthesized from animal products.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head there exists not a single animal that can synthesise its own B12. They get it through a symbiotic relationship with single celled organisms in their intestines. I agree, B12 is probably *the* issue for vegans, and in the past it was probably excruciatingly difficult for them to get it.

But I digress. Animal products are a source of B12 because B12 gets incorporated into their tissues, which you then eat. However, there is an infinitesimal amount of B12 in most meat. Consider that a teaspoon of it will provide ~100 people with all they'll need for their lifetime. The point, then, is that most supplements are harvested from bacteria. Particularly P. shermanii and P. denitrificans. A fact that's important to those vegans that are vegan for ethical reasons. This is because it's much cheaper to have several vats of expendable bacteria growing concentrated B12 than grinding down several tonnes of meat to get enough B12 for a single shipment of vitamin pills.

While we're on the topic, it's important to note that if you're relying on Red Star or Twinlab nutritional yeasts to remember that B12 is light sensitive. If it's stored in clear baggies in the store much of the B12 will have been destroyed and you're not getting what you think you're getting. Store it in the fridge in a dark container.

Also, B12 fortifications help everyone, carnivores and meat eaters alike. B12 is not particularly stable and decomposes at ~120 degrees Celsius (240F) which generally translates to all the B12 being destroyed during the process of cooking your meat.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The yeast ain't there for our benefit, it's there to survive&grow&reproduce. And the survival&growth&reproduction necessitates a synthesis, an increase in proteins used to create those new yeast cells as well as other vitamins and complex nutrients -- which aren't originally present in the flour -- for the purpose of the yeasts' own survival, growth, and reproduction.

Those newly created proteins, vitamins, and other complex nutrients just happen to be stuff that humans also need which either isn't present in flour or at least is there in only a far smaller amounts.
And so humans enter into a symbiotic relationship with the yeast. We provide them with transportation to, easier access to the food&water they need. And they provide a better mixture of nutrients, higher quality food for us.

Editing in: Sorry, didn't notice that there was second page before posting. And so, didn't see what was posted here already.

[ March 24, 2005, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We put Red Star nutritional yeast on our popcorn. Lots of it. Like, we're probably getting too many of these nutrients. [Big Grin]

But it's so tasty!!

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.