FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I’ve been reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I’ve been reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So in anticipation of the upcoming movie:
http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/index.html
I’ve been reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”
So far I’m not enjoying it very much. Maybe I was expecting more since it has been touted to be such a great book. But I’m not getting into it much. What’s the deal. The humor is really out there. Maybe it’s that British humor that I just don’t seem to get. I feel like an Aiel who isn’t getting wetlander humor. Is it just me or is it a strange read? Things don’t flow really well and nothing makes much sense. It’s almost a looney adventure that you just never know what’s going to happen next. Guess maybe that’s the point. I just half was wondering if I’m missing something.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost a looney adventure that you just never know what’s going to happen next?!?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't lack of prediction a good thing?

I can't really judge. I heard the radio play first so I have voices when I read.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that, from my experience, British humor is sometimes tough to "get." Generally, you either like it or you don't. I'm not sure if there are any suggestions for that. It is high on the kooky scale, but it is actually very intelligent. Try to make it all the way through the first book, and maybe check out the movie, but if you end up not liking it, I'll forgive you. Can't speak for anyone else... [Wink]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It was one of my favorite series as a teenager, when it came out. Hilarious and unexpected and subversive and like nothing else out there, except maybe Monty Python.

When I reread it now, it's still funny to me, but not quite as perfect as it was. Now I can see problems with pacing, inconconsistencies, and stuff that was obviously shoveled in because it seemed a good idea at the time. Still in my top 50 books, but not what it was to me then.

It is very British humor, with the typical understated silliness. My wife has no interest in it whatsoever. See? Mixed marriages do work...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Listen to the radio show! That's how its supposed to be enjoyed!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Teshi. The graphics from the tv show (mini-series?) are priceless.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's very much a mood piece. Yes, I loved it when I was younger, but now, if I'm not in the mood, it comes across as stupid. But if I am, I still love it and howl. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well either. Just get the voices into your head. Its not nearly as funny to read Marvin without having his drone in the back of your mind. The clipped perfect accent of The Book is also important to hear out loud.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read Hitchhiker's Guide, I realized there were other people who found the same type of thing funny that I did.

It was such a relief to know I wasn't weird, just British at heart in my humor. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the series, but then, I usually enjoy "British humor", whatever that means exactly. Also, I was a teenager last time I read them. I don't know if that makes any difference, since I haven't read them since. But I suspect I'd still enjoy them, because I already know not to take them too seriously.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone, Jay. I read it and was bored. Never read the remaining books.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ahh…. Finally. I’m not alone in the universe. Now if I can just find a fish to put in my ear.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

See? You're already getting it! [Wink]
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike Game of Thrones, it's okay to not love Hitchhiker's Guide. The humor is British which doesn't equate with universal.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Hitchhiker series, but even more than that, I loved Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul.

And I do think that not everyone gets British humor. My mom doesn't, for example.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody's bitter.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're referring to me, then yes, I am, though not about my mom not liking British humor. She can like whatever makes her happy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just reread it and I, literally, said," And why do I like this book again? Oh right, because its funny." And then I put it down and lost that particular copy. Oh well it was my worst copy of four copies. [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a British sense of humor. Always. Reading THHGTTG was like turning the corner on a long driveway to find your house at the far end; it was like coming home to a place I hadn't realized I'd never been. [Smile]

There are people who do not find it funny. There are people who find very little British humor funny at all. I do not long associate with these people. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really "got into" that book either. I read it -- well about half of it. Had to check it back into the library because it was due, and never really missed not finishing it.

My son, however, loves all kinds of British humor -- he loves British humor on PBS and such. About the only British humor I have really enjoyed was Red Dwarf.

I really didn't even like Monty Python and The Holy Grail much -- although I find my self quoting from it ocassionally -- (the witch and the duck)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Tom, does that mean you don't want to hang out with me? [Cry]
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
"He's so unhip, it's amazing his butt doesn't fall off." [ROFL] And the cult of the sandwichmaker.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
MH was a major disappointment to me. It was too clearly DA's definitive statement that he was never writing about Arthur Dent again. It's also the only one I waited for - all the rest were out when I first read HGttG.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading it too. Actually, I am really enjoying it. I find it quite entertaining [Big Grin]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamui
Member # 7619

- posted      Profile for Kamui   Email Kamui         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep starting to read THGttG but then something else distracts me. Last time it was OSC's release of Crystal City. Battle lines were drawn and wars were fought in my head, fealings were hurt and I cried. but then I read Crystal City and forgot all about it. I wonder where it bloody went... atleast I'll always have my towel. if I'm anything, it's a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Jay. Not all British humor is like Douglas Adams. I personally think Douglas Adams was an extremely funny guy, and I find a lot of his writing hilarious, but I didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy all that much. Maybe I should reread it.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard the radio play first so I have voices when I read.
um... what do the voices tell you? Are they the same as mine?
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a classic, as explained to me by a film student in college: "A classic is something much more interesting to talk about than to read."

[Big Grin]

The logical jokes are always good to have in your hip pocket. If nothing else, keep the Babel Fish Paradox around for the next time someone tells you that you must believe in God through Faith, and not because of Proof. [Smile]

And remember, physicists don't get invited to those types of parties. (Important when making a career choice.) [Frown]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really dislike that book. I like some Brittish humor, but not most of it. I like Monty Pythin, but only in small amounts, otherwise it gets on my nerves.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

I plan on buying the complete hitchhiker's guide. I just finished reading the Shadow series and am looking for another good series to read. I want to get the complete guide because it has "Young Zaphod plays it safe"

either that or Long dark tea time of the soul

[ March 28, 2005, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dirk Gently books are, in a word, brilliant. They also require a certain level of intelligence from the reader -- especially the first, since the actual resolution is never in fact explicitly laid out. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first two books in the increasingly ill-named trilogy, but then it just kinda ground to a halt... I don't even remember if I finished the 4th book.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.. didn't like it...not one bit.
Took me forever just to trudge through it.

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Hitchhiker series . . . I am sure my father was absolutely sick of them before I finished, though, since every page I found something else I had to read to him and try to make him understand why it was funny . . . (insert wicked grin)
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the omnibus edition, and I'm currently about halfway through. To be exact (I just looked) I've finished through the end of "Life, The Universe and Everything", and tomorrow I'll start in on "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish".

I don't think I ever managed to read the whole thing before. And I totally hear Alan Rickman when I read Marvin now...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the More Than Complete Hitch Hiker's Guide. It includes Hitch Hiker's Guide through Life, the Universe, and Everything, and "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe."

It was released before Mostly Harmless, making it less than complete. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it [Dont Know]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Dirk Gently books are, in a word, brilliant. They also require a certain level of intelligence from the reader -- especially the first, since the actual resolution is never in fact explicitly laid out.
I can't find a copy of the first one. I'm very unhappy about it. [Cry]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok, I finished the book last night. What a struggle. I didn’t even know it was over. I’m thoroughly disappointed. The plot seemed to not even exist. Jokes were just……. Sad. And it seemed like every time you turned the page was like what? Ooie…. To think I got the complete version that has four more books. I’m really confused on how this because such a cult classic. But then again, people seem to like different things so to each his own. I’m seriously debating on weather to go see the movie now. Maybe I’ll just go get something to eat instead.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Out of interest, Jay, what kind of things do you find funny?
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, this. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I love british humour and was in tears throughout HHGtG, but somewhere in the middle of "Life, the Universe and Everything" I got bored with the jokes. They were very repetitive and predictable, but I finished "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" just because I felt it necessary.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Friends was a great funny show. So is Seinfeld, Everyone loves Raymond, and Joey. I like sarcasm a lot. Sci-fi shows tend to have that in there a lot. The Stargate series’ are very good at these. OSC is good with sarcasm. Let’s see… Calvin and Hobbes was always a favorite. Garfield in his early days was good, horrible now a days. Oh what else. I don’t know. I guess Letterman and Leno are pretty funny. The Blue Collar Tour is pretty funny too. Ok, I guess that’s a pretty good chuckle list.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! I got the 42nd post!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

I never really thought Raymond was funny, but I sort of see how it could be. But Joey is just all the charm, cleverness, and interesting characters that made Friends any good.

Jay, as far as British humor goes, you might like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Start from Mort.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

quote:
I can't find a copy of the first one. I'm very unhappy about it.
is this what you're looking for?
Jay
Member # 5786

I think I've had my fill of British humor for a while. Not sure I'll go looking for any.....

Plus I've got a pile of books that I want to tackle. Not sure weather to start Stephen R. Donaldson's Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant or to finally read OSC’s Rachel & Leah. Decisions decisions decisions.

narrativium
Member # 3230

Trust me, Pratchett is a much better storyteller than Douglas Adams. Keep it in mind for the future, when you're looking for something new to try.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just got the Color of Magic, by Terry Pratchett. On a side note, the Borders bookstore in Center City Philly has a large selection of signed books by OSC. I'd say 60% of OSC books on sale are signed copies.

[ April 01, 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.