FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I’ve been reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I’ve been reading the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wowbagger, it should be noted that Colour of Magic is one of Pratchett's worst Discworld books, which is why almost no one recommends that you start with it. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...wish I'd known that. [Wink]

I started with the Colour of Magic...and I haven't read any others, because I didn't think it was that great.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you tell me. (This is Wowbagger btw.) What book should I start with then?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people recommend Mort.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I certainly keep my towel handy, just to be prepared for those pesky interstellar relocations, and always wonder what really would happen if I fell and got distracted at just the right moment..

Hitch Hikers is my cure for the blues. Btw, anybody whose seen the trailer, why does everybodies favorite depressed robot look like the michelin man with an allergec reaction to a bee sting.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy" and most of the series. I got tired of it around the third or fourth book. The thing is, I don't even usually like British humor. OK, I was a fan of Red Dwarf as well and some of the same humor is in that series. One of my favorite comedies is Monty Python and the Holy Grail, another British Comedy. Then there is Mr. Bean, although I am not sure how "British" that show was, as sight gags are rather American.

Any other British Comedy I have seen was mostly boring. I know this is a strange question, but I wonder if Nepolean Dynomite could be considered Americanized British humor? It seemed to have the same low key absurdity.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
That list makes sense because Douglas Adams was with Monty Python for a time at least.

[ April 02, 2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: calaban ]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.