FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does this make me a bad friend? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does this make me a bad friend?
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys, your support has meant so so much to me. [Group Hug]

I do have a hard time giving myself permission to "take care of me". I'm not used to it.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft - if you can't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, way to miss the point! Most women would strongly prefer NOT to have a c-section if possible. It's major abdominal surgery, and the recovery is no fun. Ever had your appendix out? The recovery is much like that (at least, like from the old-fashioned incision type; the keyhole surgery recovery is not nearly as bad). Only with a newborn and lack of sleep to deal with.

It is certainly not any easier than labor, and the recovery is a hell of a lot worse.

Now, getting a healthy baby out of it sweetens the deal. [Smile] (When I had my appendix out, all I got was a great big scar! [Razz] ) But it still IS a big deal.

romany, I continue to be amazed at how supportive of this friend you are being. I'm sorry so many other friends/family members are being so hurtful, though I'm sure they don't mean to be. (((((romany)))))

[ March 30, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
romany, everyone's already said what I would say, but i'm not oging to let that stop me. =)

You are NOT being a bad friend to this woman. And I'm amazed that you haven't completely bitten her head off by now, especially so close to everything with Brian. I'm going to guess that she's just so self-absorbed in her own pregnancy and her wishes for it that she's not even conscious of what she's putting you through. I'd hate to discover that it was somehow intentional. THAT would be truly hurtful and cruel.

My nonprofessional prescription is to distance yourself from this friend for a while. Let her deal with her own pregnancy issues on her terms, you focus on your own family and your needs, and when you feel up to it, then you can either approach her again or respond to her outreach, as you choose. I don't know if I would bring this up to her at that later date, though, in large part because I choose to believe that her actions are not those of someone out to "get" you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{romany}}}}}}}}}}}}

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.