FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Insect Advocate (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Insect Advocate
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky, sometimes ladybugs overwinter in houses. Especially the recent Asian ladybugs (orangeish, rather stinky). We get them, too. Most ladybugs get through the winter in leaves and things outside, but these Asian ladybugs have a predilection for coming indoors. You can feed them if you wish by leaving apple slices out for them.

But, if they become a nuisance, feel free to shoo them outside or vacuum them up. That's about all you can do. But be aware that they will make a great stink if you disturb them. It's one of their defense mechanisms. And they CAN bite (it feels like a pinch).

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the problem is that I drink Coke and I always have a lid on and they still like it.

The yellowjackets that swarmed me *were* yellow jackets. Their nest was a hole in the ground, between our house foundation and the rosebush next to my front door. Fortunately we don't actually use that door very often, but use the door on the other side instead. I was pruning the rosebush when they attacked. I understand that I disturbed them, however I did use spray to kill the nest because we have neighborhood children that often play in that space between the two houses, and I would have hated for them to get swarmed too. Not to mention any sort of salesperson coming to the door. (Though in that case attack yellowjackets could make things interesting <grin>)

I managed to make it in the screen door as they were boiling out of their nest. I only got stung twice though there were 5 yellowjackets in my clothing that we had to dispatch.

But yeah ever since then I've been much more fearful of the creatures, even if I know it is irrational.

Any ideas on the spiders??

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, King of Men, I just meant you have to be picky and particular. There are several wee beasties that like to share our kitchens with us. Some are weevils, that prefer seeds like dry beans, lentils, peanuts, and the like. They look like they have long snouts. Some are beetles that enjoy grains - flour, cereal, crackers, rice. I'd advise checking your dry goods for signs of infestation (holes chewed in things, fine powder from chewed-up grain, creepy crawly larvae). I keep my grains in Tupperware or tins that seal tightly. Sometimes I keep things in Ziploc bags. If you can, capture a sample critter and get it to your local agricultural college or cooperative. They can help you identify the bugger and let you know if it is harmful or not.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Harlequin ladybugs: Not much you CAN do, except create habitat and encourage the native types of ladybugs. And don't feel guilty about killing off the invaders. Obviously there's plenty of them to go around.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Gryphonesse! Please, please don't run! That sort of behaviour only encourages insects to chase and sting you. The best thing you can do is stay still, calm, and non-threatening. Move slowly away from the insect or nest area. Running and swatting is very threatening to a little insect. They are MORE LIKELY to sting you or go after you if you run.

I taught my own three-year-old to be still around stinging insects, and now she proceeded to teach all her friends. We haven't had any stinging incidents (she's now 6), although she and her playmates often play in our gardens where wasps frequently buzz about doing their business.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Verily,

Like I said, the Earwigs want to work with you. See what you can do with them on a spiritual level.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What troubles you so much about them?
Legs.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
And so he says to me, you got legs, baby, you're everywhere…you're all over the place! Yeah!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
What bothers me about bugs? That they can crawl into my orafices. That they have exoskeletons and lots of pointy parts. That they invade my house.

On the other hand, I do have a tendancy to respect all life. Often I will choose to take a bug outside rather than kill it, and often I won't go out of my way to do anything if they are minding their own beeswax. It is when they "get in my way" that I take issue.

What about ants invading one's house? Jenny, out of curiosity, do you find it unethical to use ant-spray to keep them from coming in? If you had ants in your house, would you leave them be? When I spray them (as I did just the other day) I think, well, I am killing a few drones, but the colony lives on. The spray's remaining pressence then discourages any more from making their way into my house. It is a big "do not enter" sign. It's kinda like the bugger perspective from the Ender series.

Ooo, ever since my young teens I've had an irrational revulsion towards "silverfish" and "craneflies". With the silverfish, I found it so alien that when you crush them they disintigrate into powder--as though they haven't a molecule of fluid in their bodies. That just creeped me out.

ith craneflies, I didn't like how big they are and what clumsy fliers they are. I felt like they were going to bump into me as they circled about aimlessly, and that really bothered me for some reason. Also, I liked to walk barefoot in the grass in Washington state when we lived there, and they would "hide" in the grass, not having the wits to fly away. I didn't like the idea of stepping on them. I had this same issue with the banana slugs that lay in wait. I'm sure it was much more unpleasant to be stepped *on*, but still. I did say it was an irrational feeling. [Wink] And sprawled on the wall, they look like giant mosquitoes, even though mentally I know they don't suck blood at all.

[ March 31, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
*chants* six legs good, two legs bad! six legs good, two legs bad!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*throws spiders at JNSB*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
*screams*

*tries to duck and cover but it doesn't work*

*stops, drops, and rolls*

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Jenny. Not sure I'm capable of following it, but I'll try. You have the most unique take on bugs of anyone I've ever known!

And Bev, I had to look up Crane Flies - those are what we call Mosquito Hawks down here... Too funny.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Huh. Never heard the term. I guess it is a regional thing, like "crawdads" vs "crayfish" or "pop" vs "soda". [Wink]

They do *eat* mosquitos, right?

That's weird. How often in nature does one creature exclusively eats another creature that looks like a smaller version of itself?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to point to Mormons as another example, but then I remembered that you also eat jello.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A pediatrician once told me that so called "spider bites" are almost never from spiders. They're usually mite or bedbug bites. (I know, ew! Like that's better?)

Link

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like I said, the Earwigs want to work with you. See what you can do with them on a spiritual level.
Perhaps now would be a good time to mention that I'm not a spiritual person, and I'm not inclined to believe it's literally possible to "connect" with an insect and make an agreement with it. I'm pretty sure the only thing they want from me is a warm shelter (this is Alaska after all, and it's been snowing this week) and rotting plant matter.

The latter they won't find in my apartment, but of course they don't know that. Believe me, if I could tell them there's no food here, like Alvin in Seventh Son, I would gladly do so. But I really don't believe there is a way I could make them understand.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, I'm not allergic to bees, so far as I know. I just have an irrational fear. I had it long before I was stung for the first time. I guess it's not totally irrational, as I've held drones without panicking. If you have any ideas on how to alleviate this fear, I'd love to hear them.

Also, I looked up pictures of mason bees and that does seem to be what's flying around here. Thanks!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergice to every single type of identifiable insect that has ever bitten me or landed on me, so I just assume I'm allergic to the rest and stay way way away.

I hate ants. I hate at least 6 types that regularly invade our home, including termites that eat on the wood doorjambs and window frames. The ants will make nests in hollow metal tubes that form the frame of furniture, they'll nest in cardboard, styrofoam, the walls, in the floors under the tiles, behind the tiles in the bathroom or kitchen, between the kitchen cabinets and the wall, in the UPS, in Fahim's secondary laptop, and just about anywhere I can think of.

They'll eat their way into packages of noodles (plastic ain't that durable) or other things. They'll take away my cat's food piece by piece. The red ones hurt when they bite.

Sometimes, I'm lucky, and I don't have to kill an ant nest for days or a week at a time. Some days, I end up killing upwards of a half dozen nests in a day.

I hate them. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

And while I know it's not an insect, I'm going to mention it anyway.

I scream like a little girl every single blasted time I see a gecko.

Still. [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Kama, for one who has such pretty legs herself, it's hard to believe you have a problem with them... [Razz] Actually, the legginess of insects and their relatives is a common revulsion amongst humans. Most critters we know and love have 2 or 4. More than that seems excessive. And they tickle when they crawl over you.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

beverly:

Every spring, I must deal with an ant invasion. In some years, chemical messages sent by cleaning off their trails with vinegar and mint essential oil (and cleaning up after myself religiously)has deterred them from making a long visit. In other years, I've had to resort to Terro ant traps, which basically wipes out the colony. If you see just ONE ant, that's a signal you need to begin cleaning with strong-smelling things (I use vinegar and mint EO because I have bad reactions to our synthetic chemical cleaners). This disrupts the scent trails. And I don't feel guilty about killing a few worker ants here and there. There are plenty of healthy ant colonies in my garden. So, I don't really have a problem with killing insects. My problem comes with people HATING insects and acting as if they are the worst threat in the world. We use too many pesticides unnecessarily, which get into our bodies and do nasty things to us. I'm a big promoter of Integrated Pest Management (IPM), which basically looks at all the ways insects can be controlled and lets you know when the most effective times to use chemicals are. It also brings in physical and biological controls. So, it's Balanced.

Silverfish are pests in the home. They'll eat virtually anything - including paste and book bindings. They enjoy damp places, like the bathroom. They like the dark. I don't know a whole lot about silverfish, but I do think they're kind of cute outside of our houses.

Craneflies are utterly harmless. They eat nothing but nectar in their adult stage. Many people fear them because they do look like giant mosquitoes, but they are quite innocent. They are also easily damaged or killed. Those long legs and wings are so delicate! Craneflies live near water, and their larvae live underwater. The larvae look like big ol' worms in the muck. Cranefly larvae make great bait for fishing. I always feel sorry for craneflies because they are so misunderstood. And they're quite pretty, really. Their wings catch the light in iridescent patterns. They are also more ecologically delicate than mosquitoes. Having craneflies around is a sign of a healthy water ecosystem.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

There are spiders that look like ants, or bird droppings, or flowers. Whatever helps them survive. There are flower flies that look like bees or wasps. Many creatures exist that look like something else. It's amazing.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

rivka, what a greak link! Thanks for clearing spiders of a bad name.

Verily, I don't mean trying to connect with insects the way I do. You're probably not a Bug Mystic. But you CAN use these earwigs as a springboard for some psychological self-examination. Meditation, if you prefer that term. Take some time to learn about the insects, and think about its symbolism to you and others. Perhaps you will gain some new insights and a new appreciation for these little creatures invading your home.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Shigosei, find some beekeepers in your area. Beekeepers are invariably passionate about their hives. Also, you can get REALLY GOOD honey! As you talk to a beekeeper, watch the glow on their faces.

Think about the good these insects do. They are excellent pollinators; indeed, some species of flowering plants risk extinction without bees. They are mostly harmless. They love each other, in a way.

Learn as much as you can about the insects you fear. Learn to respect their roles in the environment. The next time you see a stinging creature, don't allow your fear to put up barriers. Watch her for a while. Admire her dangerous beauty. What is she doing? See that stinging is only a small part of this insect's life.

When you are ready, you can begin to learn the beauty and value of the sting. Let me know when you get to that point. For now, though, learn who and what these insects are. They are NOT out to get you.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are NOT out to get you.
Shigosei, I agree. They're not out to get you. They're out to get me. [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

quidscribis:

RELAX. The insects are not out to get you. First of all, have you been tested for insect allergies? Perhaps you are allergic to their exoskeletons or something, if you are indeed allergic to every insect that has ever landed on you. How do you know you are allergic?

Also, many insects do not bite with venom. Many beetles, for instance, just pinch the skin. It's hard to avoid insects, so you may want to consult with your doctor about medications or treatments for your allergy, especially if you have extreme reactions.

It sounds as if you have a severe ant problem. It is definitely time to call the exterminators. Also, you'll want to look into ant-proofing your house. You might have some foundation problems that are allowing the wee beasties to get in. The termites are not ants, actually, but an exterminator will know how to get rid of them, too. I've used Terro antkiller with great success. You may want to look into that or something similar.

And the geckos? Honey, they are EATING YOUR ANTS!!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jenny, I know about the geckos. That's why I don't complain about them as much anymore. But I still scream whenever I see them - they startle me! (But then, I'm easily startled . . .)

Everyone here has ant problems like this. Or, at least, everyone who's living in a house older than a year or two. They're everywhere. And I sincerely doubt there's anyone here who even knows how to antproof a house.

Termites eating foundation is not a problem because wood is not used as a building material as such, more of just as a finishing material. Around doors and windows is about it, other than cabinets or furniture. Brick and cement are used to build houses. Wood isn't used because it wouldn't last here.

I've been tested for some insects, don't remember what. But I just do everything I can to not get bitten. (What the heck am I doing in a tropical country?????) When they bite me, I swell up really really bad. Sometimes, to the point that I can't bend a finger or a wrist.

It's pretty ugly. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Yikes! Whatever ARE you doing in the tropics? You'd probably feel safer in Northern Canada, or Iceland or something. I mean, there still are insects there, but they're much rarer. So do you live in places where there are Really Big Bugs?
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Geckos are awesome... we have tons and tons around the outside of our house. We usually have to rescue one or two a week that make their way inside. (Three cats inside makes it not gecko-friendly).

I got beaned by a June Bug last night. I wonder what they think when they're flying...

"HEEEEEY WOOO HOOOO OOH CRAP A PERSON"

Boompf

"WOOO HOOOOO HEEEEEY"

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"HEEEEEY WOOO HOOOO OOH CRAP A PERSON"

Boompf

"WOOO HOOOOO HEEEEEY"

[ROFL] Delightful. You capture the careeening so well.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to offend any bug advocates in here and I don't know if that title extends to arachnids, however...

When the silly bastard repels down his web from my bathroom ceiling tile first thing in the morning, only to pause a half-inch from my face...the sucker is gonna get squished.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

So is the crane-fly-eating-mosquitos-thing just a myth?
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Trevor - if the spider has the poor judgement to drop in front of your face, I don't blame you for squishing it. Spiders know better, or at least they should.

beverly - apparently so. I never heard of a crane fly doing anything predaceous. Now Robber Flies, on the other hand, they are excellent predators. I have heard Dragonflies called "mosquito hawks".

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful to find out what sort of ants they are before deciding to exterminate them. Quite often ants are voracious predators of termites and other insects which damage wood.
Get rid of the ants, and you're just welcoming the termites/etc.

I wouldn't use an exterminator under any circumstance other than whole house tenting&fumigation. And even then only if I intended to take a two-week vacation well away from there.

[ April 02, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I've personally never had a fumigation, but I've heard they're pretty nasty. You use them when the effects of fumigation are better than living with the insects. I suppose it's up to you to decide when fumigation is necessary.

On a happy note- yesterday, I saw my first dragonflies of this season! I'm sure they've already been out, but I hadn't seen them yet. Yay! I'm so happy! The bugs are back!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have a lot of chemical sensitivities/allergies, as does Fahim, which is why I haven't pushed for fumigation. That, and that I doubt anyone here has the actual know-how to do one properly. [Grumble] So I settle for tracking down ant nests and dream of the day we move to a nicer/newer house that doesn't have ants living in the floors, ceilings, and walls. In theory. [Mad]
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Well, on the plus side, you could probably submit papers to entomological journals about all your ant discoveries...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid's not the scientific sort, so she cant.

-Trevor

PS - I know nothing about Quid, but the comment set up a bad pun - she might be the greatest scientific mind of our time and if so, I apologize now.

I'll apologize for the pun later. [Big Grin]

Edit: Psst! Ketchup! Quick, flea!

[ April 04, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cats brought in fleas (they're not supposed to be out in the first place, but that's another story). My husband has about two bites. My flesh is covered in them. Fleas like me. My husband keeps saying "I don't think it's the fleas that are biting you, they prefer animals if there are any around". I tell him that he does not know fleas and me. Fleas have always liked me. I tried the oiling up, and that was a bust. I've told him he needs to find the Advantage and dose the cats, but he's taking his own sweet time about it.

In the meantime, I have discovered where the nasty little ants are coming into the apartment. An ant stake will be bought. I don't mind ants when they wander in the window now and then, but coming up through the wall is not playing fair. [Mad]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

kq, I'm telling you Terro works wonders. Also, as for the fleas, I hope you get them all before they lay eggs....

[Evil Laugh]

Besides these two issues, I hope your other insect encounters are positive.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

CDC has a collaboration with Orkin. Here is a brochure Orkin put out about pests. Not all of them are insects or even arthropods, but they're all nasty!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll notice that they are called "pests"...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on Saturday that we have what I think may be ladybug larva in our back yard (black bodies, six legs, a few orange looking slashes on them, and a very efficient search pattern). I'm thrilled to think that in a few weeks we could have lots of ladybugs around. I hope they'll find food nearby (the only aphids I've seen have been on weeds when we pulled them out) so they'll hang around. [Smile]

I haven't seen any geckos yet, which makes me sad. I've joked (but am actually half serious) about capturing some from my parents house (about 15 miles away) and bringing them to my house.

I'm pretty good about living with bugs, but there are a couple that I have a hard time with. For me, it's earwigs - they just look plain creepy and I can't get past it - and cockroaches - they're too dang fast and it weirds me out that you could step on them and they'd just get up and run away. Luckilly for me, I've rarely seen either in my space.

I usually try to take spiders found indoors outside - hubby has an intense visceral hatred of them. The exceptions are black widows - they get set on fire along with their webs and eggsacs - regardless of where they are. I've actually been rather pleased at the scarcity of bugs at our new home (since we are in a new development and border on a huge area of empty land - an Indian reservation). We'll see how it goes as it continues to warm up. I just hope we won't have to deal with scorpions. I kind of figured we'd have seen some in the winter time (when they're looking for someplace warm to be) if they were around.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I get along well with most insects, and even spiders. There is one very pretty gray one that lives under my bed, and sometimes when I'm doing homework he comes up to visit. However, other arachnids frighten me.

I'm trying to come to terms with my disgust for ticks especially. They just seem so revolting. And I was thinking today about chiggers. I don't know exactly what a chigger is, but it sounds bad.

So, I guess my questions are, what are chiggers, are they harmful, and can anyone say anything good about ticks.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers are little red bugs that burrow into your skin and sit there. And itch. And sit there. And itch. They only way I know to get rid of them is to suffocate them out by putting nail polish over the bite(?).

And that is my info about chiggers. Don't sit on things in the South. Like rock walls or logs. They will get in yout rear end and sit. And itch. Do you get my point yet? They also like to live in Spanish Moss.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Centipedes and millipedes are one of my phobias. I learned to tolerate, if not like, most bugs when I was a camp counsellor and had to act "cool" in front of the kids who were freaking out at the sight of a ladybug. But I cannot abide millipedes and will cower in the metaphorical corner. They are just gross and disgusting and *shudderSHUDDERSHUDDER*

I do kind of like stinkbugs, though. Or at least, I was told they're stinkbugs. They move slowly and they actually look cool compared to most bugs. This kind! I guess I'm pretty weird in that I'd rather hold a stinkbug than a caterpillar. Of course, I'd rather hold neither, and observe without touching (this was o.k. at camp because we stressed the "look but not touch" thing a lot anyway).

[ April 06, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Was it in the Mamma Bugga Bugga thread that I posted my centipede story? It would horrify you, EL, so you're lucky I'm too tired to either find the original post or repost the story here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, Jenny (and others who find insects fascinating), check out this article:

Killer Tree-ants Snare Prey in Gruesome Traps

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ew!!!!

I hate ants!!!! HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE 'EM!!!!

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the only other insects known to do this are social spiders
Well, that's kind of an egregious error for a supposedly scientific journal to make. That's kind of like discovering a species of rodent that's evolved a hard shell for protection and saying, "The only other mammal known to have this is the turtle."
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.