FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Insect Advocate (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Insect Advocate
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid's not the scientific sort, so she cant.

-Trevor

PS - I know nothing about Quid, but the comment set up a bad pun - she might be the greatest scientific mind of our time and if so, I apologize now.

I'll apologize for the pun later. [Big Grin]

Edit: Psst! Ketchup! Quick, flea!

[ April 04, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cats brought in fleas (they're not supposed to be out in the first place, but that's another story). My husband has about two bites. My flesh is covered in them. Fleas like me. My husband keeps saying "I don't think it's the fleas that are biting you, they prefer animals if there are any around". I tell him that he does not know fleas and me. Fleas have always liked me. I tried the oiling up, and that was a bust. I've told him he needs to find the Advantage and dose the cats, but he's taking his own sweet time about it.

In the meantime, I have discovered where the nasty little ants are coming into the apartment. An ant stake will be bought. I don't mind ants when they wander in the window now and then, but coming up through the wall is not playing fair. [Mad]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I'm telling you Terro works wonders. Also, as for the fleas, I hope you get them all before they lay eggs....

[Evil Laugh]

Besides these two issues, I hope your other insect encounters are positive.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

CDC has a collaboration with Orkin. Here is a brochure Orkin put out about pests. Not all of them are insects or even arthropods, but they're all nasty!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll notice that they are called "pests"...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on Saturday that we have what I think may be ladybug larva in our back yard (black bodies, six legs, a few orange looking slashes on them, and a very efficient search pattern). I'm thrilled to think that in a few weeks we could have lots of ladybugs around. I hope they'll find food nearby (the only aphids I've seen have been on weeds when we pulled them out) so they'll hang around. [Smile]

I haven't seen any geckos yet, which makes me sad. I've joked (but am actually half serious) about capturing some from my parents house (about 15 miles away) and bringing them to my house.

I'm pretty good about living with bugs, but there are a couple that I have a hard time with. For me, it's earwigs - they just look plain creepy and I can't get past it - and cockroaches - they're too dang fast and it weirds me out that you could step on them and they'd just get up and run away. Luckilly for me, I've rarely seen either in my space.

I usually try to take spiders found indoors outside - hubby has an intense visceral hatred of them. The exceptions are black widows - they get set on fire along with their webs and eggsacs - regardless of where they are. I've actually been rather pleased at the scarcity of bugs at our new home (since we are in a new development and border on a huge area of empty land - an Indian reservation). We'll see how it goes as it continues to warm up. I just hope we won't have to deal with scorpions. I kind of figured we'd have seen some in the winter time (when they're looking for someplace warm to be) if they were around.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I get along well with most insects, and even spiders. There is one very pretty gray one that lives under my bed, and sometimes when I'm doing homework he comes up to visit. However, other arachnids frighten me.

I'm trying to come to terms with my disgust for ticks especially. They just seem so revolting. And I was thinking today about chiggers. I don't know exactly what a chigger is, but it sounds bad.

So, I guess my questions are, what are chiggers, are they harmful, and can anyone say anything good about ticks.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiggers are little red bugs that burrow into your skin and sit there. And itch. And sit there. And itch. They only way I know to get rid of them is to suffocate them out by putting nail polish over the bite(?).

And that is my info about chiggers. Don't sit on things in the South. Like rock walls or logs. They will get in yout rear end and sit. And itch. Do you get my point yet? They also like to live in Spanish Moss.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Centipedes and millipedes are one of my phobias. I learned to tolerate, if not like, most bugs when I was a camp counsellor and had to act "cool" in front of the kids who were freaking out at the sight of a ladybug. But I cannot abide millipedes and will cower in the metaphorical corner. They are just gross and disgusting and *shudderSHUDDERSHUDDER*

I do kind of like stinkbugs, though. Or at least, I was told they're stinkbugs. They move slowly and they actually look cool compared to most bugs. This kind! I guess I'm pretty weird in that I'd rather hold a stinkbug than a caterpillar. Of course, I'd rather hold neither, and observe without touching (this was o.k. at camp because we stressed the "look but not touch" thing a lot anyway).

[ April 06, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it in the Mamma Bugga Bugga thread that I posted my centipede story? It would horrify you, EL, so you're lucky I'm too tired to either find the original post or repost the story here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jenny (and others who find insects fascinating), check out this article:

Killer Tree-ants Snare Prey in Gruesome Traps

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew!!!!

I hate ants!!!! HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE 'EM!!!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the only other insects known to do this are social spiders
Well, that's kind of an egregious error for a supposedly scientific journal to make. That's kind of like discovering a species of rodent that's evolved a hard shell for protection and saying, "The only other mammal known to have this is the turtle."
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.