FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm sick of the tyranny of daylight saving time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm sick of the tyranny of daylight saving time
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sick of "spring forward." I never get that hour back again. I'm haggard with sleep deprivation all summer. It's the main reason the bursitis in my shoulder bothers me and it also causes me to gain weight and have itchy eyes.

So this year, I'm making a change. A drastic one. I'm setting my clocks 23 hours BACK and if the rest of the world doesn't like it, TOUGH NOOGIES!

(Actually, some of my clocks I'm only setting back eleven hours. That's the way I choose to live - on the edge.)

[ April 03, 2005, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be easier to just move to a non daylight saving time state.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
That would mean moving to a place like Arizona.
But I'm curious now. Are the "set back 23 hours" clocks all military style and the rest normal?

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well they don't have to be military. Most alarm clocks(or at least mine) have a little dot that shines in the pm.
quote:
That's the way I choose to live - on the edge.
Hahaha! That's just what I needed, a good laugh. Whoops, I think I woke my roommate up. [ROFL]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Daylight Saving Time because it's gibberish. Especially in Alaska where the sun doesn't play by your silly Lower 48 rules anyway. I'd like to see it abolished altogether.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Why are we saving daylight anyway? I think we need two days every year where we just set the clock back an hour. Maybe more than two days...Maybe 12 would work well. Then we could have a full half day of extra sleep each year.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
The sun should not rise until noon anyway. Screw it all. (note: Stan is not a morning person)

It can go down the same time it always would, just rise later.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I like that idea, Stan. In fact, I think we should draft a bill and submit it to congress.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, is that time change whole clock thing happening tonight? I forget.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's tonight. Set your clock one hour later. Then, when you wake up, wonder if you already did it and then set it yet another hour ahead. Then be really early to everything.

Just another public service of Hatrack River online.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

thanks, my computer automatically did it. I now have half an hour (it's 3 am where I am) to get ready for work. Good thing I write the watchbill.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always move to Saskatchewan. No Daylight Savings Time there. Or Sri Lanka. None here, either. And there would be an added bonus. Well, more for me than for you, sadly enough. I'd get to pick yer brains!

Yeah, I knew it. You're never coming here, are you? [Grumble]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if you're going to pick at my brains.

Yuck. [Razz]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That was actually directed at OSC himself. You know, the master of sci-fi. I'd love to pick his brains. Well, only if it wasn't messy or grossed me out, cuz if it did, ugh! I just don't have the stomach for blood and gore. [Grumble]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You could move to southern Indiana, where we just say to hell with the whole thing despite being smack dab in the middle of it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

quote:
I never get that hour back again.
Think of it as investing an hour of your sleep time. Choose to save, and all that. I hear there's a payoff when you retire. . .

quote:
I'm haggard with sleep deprivation all summer.
You make your own schedule. You work for yourself. Why in the WORLD are you sleep deprived? You don't even play Civ 2 anymore!

Just sleep in.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... I must be the only person on Earth right now who is liking this spring forward thing. I just got off work early! Hahaha! Ahhh... feels so nice. Sometimes the midnight shift really pays off.
[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep] explains why I am so sleepy and lagurchedy.
*longs to make own schedule*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Uncle Orson, you could also move (back?) to Indiana. We don't have daylight savings time, either. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't move to Indiana so fast. There is a very strong likely hood that Indiana will be going on daylight savings time in the very near future. The bill has already passed through one house and is sitting in the other's rules committee in preperation for the vote. We may be going on daylight savings time as soon as 3-months from now (Although we are adamant that we don't adopt it until our Indy 500 is over. [Roll Eyes] ). Soon only Arizona will be fighting the good fight on the continental United States for keeping us lazy people from having to change our clocks.

<---Highly considering the move to Arizona upon graduation from colege.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
News Article:

Today President Bush announced his new Personal Time Accounts For Daylights Savings. The idea is that each of us really set our clocks back 55 minutes every year instead of the full hour. We then invest those extra 5 minutes in a governmentally approved time investment plan where it has been shown they earn a higher rate of time over interest.

"By the time a 20 year old today is ready to retire," said a spokesman for the president, "he will have earned and saved, on average, three and a half years."

Opposition leaders argue that such an investment scheme will increase the national time-debt to well over 2.5 centuries. "Though our President would love that" joked the Democratic Representative from Montreal. "That would put him right smack in the middle of the era of heraditary kings named George."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Friggin' brilliant, Dan.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
For years, every spring Porter would grumble about Daylight Savings and threaten to "rebel" by--gasp--*not* changing our clocks! That would show 'em!

I don't like this idea because I don't do conversions well in my head. I am one of those people for whom setting the clock 5 minutes fast actually works, because whatever time the clock says, I believe it. So while *not* changing clocks with the rest of the country wouldn't make anyone outside our home suffer much, *I* would be seriously messed up. I got so tired of the yearly "rant".

So this year I was thankful that Porter went to bed early and I could change the clocks in peace. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Say thanks that we're on Earth.

On Jupiter you have no seasons.

On Venus every day is two years.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got used to getting at up at 5:45 to go to the gym in the morning. It was getting easier because of the sun being up.

Aaaaargh!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sick of "spring forward." I never get that hour back again.
It's our age. [Wink]

I hate that daylight savings time starts earlier and ends later than it did when I was a kid. (For one thing, it makes Passover seders start rediculously late at night.)

On the other hand, I love "fall behind." Ah, that extra hour of sleep.

I love sleep. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that bothers me about daylight savings time now is that it makes some of the shows I like on cable tv come on at different times. [Razz]

Otherwise, since we don't change, I have no opinion.

I do think, though, that the Indiana state government spends ENTIRELY too much energy trying to decide whether or not to have daylight savings time. [Razz]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
You can look up Sunrise-Sunset times to find out what they will be in June. For my town in Iowa, in June, the sun will rise as early as 5:38 a.m.

Without DST, that would be 4:38 a.m.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think is bizarre is how when DST begins, the days are already far longer than at the time it ends. What is the sense in that? Why does it extend into October? Why not instead extend it into March? Does it have to do with farmers and crops?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it must.

I have a lot of relatives in AZ, and it's always hard to remember that until now, they've been one hour behind me, but now they're two, like my relatives in CA... Argh.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Personally, I think Indiana has the right idea.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that originally daylight savings times was designed for more efficient production, which is why daylight savings time was started in world war I and, after its elimination soon after the wars end, world war II. After world war II people in the buisness sector had learned that it was a great way to increase profits; therefore it was adopted on a state-to-state basis.

As far as farmers are concerned, those in Indiana have no desire to adopt dayight savings time. They do have some justification besides being too lazy to change all their clocks twice a year. In the case of dairy farmers, cattle must be milked on a very specific schedule, and by switching to daylight savings time the farmer has to ignore the change in time as far as milking the cattle is concerned, otherwise it would be much more likely to get bad milk. I don't know why crop farmers seem to have such a islike for daylight savings time, because I thought that it was for farmers that Ben Franklin had thought up the switching of the clocks. Imust assume that they are like me, and they would much prefer to be lazy. [Razz]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever read the Anne Shirley books, it's implied in Rilla of Ingleside that the Germans originally came up with DST, and there was some opposition to adopting it, but I've never done any research to back that up because...

*whispers* I don't care.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

I couldn't agree more, adam. I think thats the secondary reason for most of the state wanting to petition the federal government to have our time zone changed to central if we are forced to adopt daylight savings time by those nasty little legislators.
[Mad]
The primary reason being that a large portion of Indiana is essentially a suburb of Chicago, and it would make more economic sense to tie our time zone with Chicago.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For one thing, it makes Passover seders start rediculously late at night.
Ah! So fun to be in Israel.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Well, yes, holidays occur at the right time in Israel.

So you don't sit in your sukkah in overcoats (like those in northern climates do here) or try to figure out how to install a ceiling fan in your sukkah (if you live in Florida, where it's usually uncomfortably hot and humid for Sukkot). [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ela, the solution to that is to move to Southern California. The temperature isn't quite right every year, but every time I was in a sukkah, it was temperate and nice. [Big Grin]
Ela
Member # 1365

I fear earthquakes too much to ever live in California. [Eek!]
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So this year, I'm making a change. A drastic one. I'm setting my clocks 23 hours BACK and if the rest of the world doesn't like it, TOUGH NOOGIES!

(Actually, some of my clocks I'm only setting back eleven hours. That's the way I choose to live - on the edge.)

I feel much the same way - I wasn't getting enough sleep already and now I have to go ahead and deprive myself of another hour. [Grumble]

I applaud this principled act of resistance. It makes me ashamed, because I'm wimping out on it, even though I agree.

Three of the clocks in our house I have to reset are mechanical - they have to be turned by hand via a tiny nob on the back. Bottom line - I'm too dang tired (a polite word for "lazy") to do the principled thing. Setting those clocks ahead one hour instead of back 11 is just so much faster and easier.

*hangs head in shame*

[ April 03, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Eh, they're not as scary as hurricaines.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Setting your clock back 23 hours, hmm? So that means you're living in the past, but getting a preview of things almost a day before they happen.

That must be useful.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad that my cell phone (which I use as an alarm) automatically sets the time...otherwise I would have missed church this morning. As it was, I was rather confused when I looked at my clock after I got out of the shower...as I thought I was up an hour early. I had to think about it for a while before I remembered that the government had jacked an hour from me.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Eh, they're not as scary as hurricaines.
What, earthquakes? How could a hurricane be scarier than a massive earthquake? With a hurricane, you know it's coming. You have enough warning before it arrives that you can take shelter. Those who live in hurricane-prone areas and have the foresight to built underground shelters are safe when a hurricane blows through.

Earthquakes can strike at any time, with no warning whatsoever, and there is no shelter you can take. When the ground itself opens up to swallow houses whole, there is no safe place to be.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How could a hurricane be scarier than a massive earthquake?
There is something spooky about seeing it coming for you a week ahead of time. Sort of like in the horror films how the bad guy chases the victims around for a while before killing them.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I'd rather have the bad guy chasing me, so that I can at least have some time to think and maybe find a way to stop him, than to have him appear out of nowhere and slit my throat before I realize there is a bad guy.
Ela
Member # 1365

Exactly, Verily. [Smile]

Besides, even though the California climate might be right for Sukkot, I am willing to bet Californians still have to start Jewish holidays at inconvenient times of the day. [Wink]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you exactly why I don't like daylight savings time. You see, I have this strange notion that when it gets to be evening, it's supposed to get dark. But around the summer solstice, even at the mid-latitudes where I live, it doesn't get full dark until after nine p.m. That's way too late.

Now, understand, I don't like it when it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon around the winter solstice, either. That's too early. But after seven p.m. or so, in my universe, it's supposed to be dark. In fact, the only thing I hated about England when I was there was that, since I was there at the end of June, beginning of July, the sun didn't go down until something like ten p.m. and then it got light again around four or four-thirty a.m. That's just too much sunshine for me.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it also causes me to gain weight
I new there had to be a reason, other then a sedentary job, Civ 3, and TV, that caused me to gain weight! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
You see, I have this strange notion that when it gets to be evening, it's supposed to get dark.
That is a strange notion. A summer trip to Alaska would cure you of that. Or make your head a splode.
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hate the hour of sleep I lose. In Alaska the sun is always messed up, so daylight savings time does nothing. Two months ago it was pitch black till 10, and now the sun is glaring through my window at 6. I swear, we have to be getting 20 more minutess of daylight each day.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.