FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm sick of the tyranny of daylight saving time (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm sick of the tyranny of daylight saving time
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason to abolish it, at least in the state of Alaska. Some say it's outlived its usefulness, but frankly, it never made sense here to begin with.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is a strange notion. A summer trip to Alaska would cure you of that. Or make your head a splode.
Undoubtedly, my head would just go pop and make a horrible mess. [Wink]

Actually, I wouldn't mind visiting just to see what it's like. But it would probably be like Las Vegas is for me. I love Vegas for three days; any longer than that and it makes me absolutely insane.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I love living in AZ this time of year. [Big Grin]

Then again, I also hate it because everyone else I know has to add an hour to their clock and that royally screws up how often I get to talk to them. [Grumble] [Frown]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Las Vegas will do that to anyone. Any city that puts slot machines right next to the ATMs at the bloody convenience stores is just asking for trouble.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told that even Indiana is going to do Daylight Savings Time starting next year(I've been trying to verify through further research with no luck), if this is true, it is a step in the wrong direction. Every state should be getting rid of Daylight Savings Time, instead of the few tates with the good sense not to be on it, going to it just to conform.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana has always had Daylight Savings Time, except for the corner of the state that Gary is in and the southwest corner. So for half the year, the whole state is on the same time; and the other half, the state is divided along the timezone lines. It's weird, but when I lived there, people seemed happy enough with it.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I'm really mourning is that I lost an hour of Hatcrack time!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I like DST. So many people forget to set their clocks ahead that I can actually find a parking spot at church.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you meant Indiana has never had daylight savings time. Of course, as usual, there are people trying to get it through the legislature.

-----

Edit: while I return to correct mistakes in your post, I must also confess to mistakes in my own.

Mine first:

Indiana did have daylight savings briefly during 1918, according to an article in last Sunday's Greater Lafayette Journal and Courier (which, regrettably, wants to make you pay to view it).

Yours continued:

There is never a time that the whole state is in the same time zones. Counties near Chicago follow Central using DST and counties near Louisville follow Eastern using DST. The rest are Eastern without DST, which means now I don't have to wait as late to call the West Coast.

[ April 03, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Cow-Eating Man ]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I enjoy daylight savings. In the summer the sun rises at 4:30 am and doesn't fully set until 10 pm. Without daylight savings it'd rise at 3:30 in the morning! Personally I have a difficult time sleeping when the sun is up, so with daylight savings I at least have a chance to sleep in until 5 or so in the morning before the sun, birds, and heat begin to wake me up (yes, I have blinds; no they are not effective at keeping the sun out), and with 18 hours of daylight a day, there's plenty of time after work to go for a nice long hike, or even go for a swim in the river before it cools off. It probably doesn't hurt that my internal clock is messed up by the three time zone shift that I experience when I go home for the summer, so I am actually tired at 10 pm, unlike during the school year when I go to bed around 1 or so.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Southern Indiana does not have Daylights Savings Time.

Hatrack River, according to Alvin Maker, is in Southern Indiana.

We are in Hatrack River right now.

Hence--we are immune to Daylight's Savings.

on an unrelated Indiana Question---

With the Native American Groups requesting a more PC labeling of sports teams and anything else that uses their likeness in an innappropriate way, do we need to change the name of Indiana to Native Americanna?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I like living in Arizona for the same reason. Of course, this year I had to be in Iowa when it changed, on a night when the loss of that hour meant one less hour to spend with other Hatrackers. Grrrr.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Seize the Daylight

quote:
From Ben Franklin's era until today, the story of daylight saving time has been a fascinating and sometimes bizarre amalgam of colorful personalities and serious technical issues, purported costs and perceived benefits, agendas of interest groups and policies of governments, pushes for uniformity and pulls for regional differences. In fact, the sunlight that stole through Ben Franklin's window on that Paris morning has preoccupied the thoughts of more than a few scientific minds, and the energies of numerous political leaders, in a host of intriguing and unexpected ways in the two hundred-plus years since it awakened Franklin.

Excerpted from Seize the Daylight by David Prerau. Used by permission of Thunder's Mouth Press.

Interesting trivia tidbits for the history buffs . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Dan_Raven, I think we need to change the name of Indiana to "East Chicago."

OK, so maybe it would be better just to name it Wabash - or Wobbish, the way we spell things here.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
This was in Indianapolis monthly a few years ago. I still laugh when I look at it.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm not particular what it's called; I'd just be glad to have another option to call the state's citizens beside "Hoosier."

...though there is something kind of amusing about the school's sports teams having the same name as the state's inhabitants. It'd be like the UGA Georgians or the UNC North Carolinians.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
This has nothing to do with DST, I just wanted to say I like the 'head a splode' phrase. I don't hang out on the net much these days (a wife, toddler, and upcoming baby cured me of that), and so if i'm behind on the slang, forgive. Head a splode is almost, almost, as good as my sign off acronym (which still hasn't caught on). Here it is. Plast. Abbr of 'Peace, love, and Souuuuullll Traaainnn." Learn it, love it, use it!

Plast,
Crotalussssss

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe all you people whining. Am I the only person who actually enjoys having some daylight left to do something outdoors when he gets off work in the afternoon? I would prefer that we keep it like this all year long. Who cares if the sun is shining when I get up and go to work in the morning? I want the sun shining when I get home.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, I agree that if I could change it, it would be to keep DST year-round. It depresses me in the winter when it gets dark aroun 4:30pm!

Of course, if we kept it, the sun wouldn't rise above the mountains till 10am. That would be weird.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Dan. Though I like your theory, southern Indiana in fact does follow daylight savings time. I was quite relieved to discover this, as Mr. Opera works in Louisville. [Smile] I'm not sure how far the DST area extends, though.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, OSC and I actually agree on something for a change.

[Angst]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Hoosier, and I like not having to change my clocks. I'm forgetful enough as it is. I'd hate to have to remember to shift the times I do things. I'd inevitably be an hour late or early. I'm too old to change now. I can change timezones, that's okay, I get why that happens. But in my own home? Nope, not gonna happen. And I'll be crotchety about it, too!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana is what you might call "patchy" in terms of observing DST. The southwest tip and the northwest corner both observe central time year round including DST. The sections nearest to Louisville and Cincinatti both observe DST as well as Eastern time.

Here's a really poorly designed map, but it gives you a basic idea of Indiana's current situation.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Energy Bill Would Extend Daylight Savings

So ok, let me get this straight. We’d switch in November and again in March? Why not just make it all year round? If it’s good for two more months, why isn’t it good for 4 more or all 12!!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Kansas that extra hour of daylight just means one more hour for the summer sun to burn up lawns.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

From the article.
quote:
"The more daylight we have, the less electricity we use," said Markey, who cited Transportation Department (search) estimates that showed the two-month extension would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

The country uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day.

That would be a savings of 0.05%. As much as I would like to keep all year long, I don't think this is a valid reason.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

And you know that God is offended when we reject the majesty of his creation and fiddle with time.
zgator
Member # 3833

Why would you want the extra hour in the morning?
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
My main problem with DST is that, unlike everyone else, I'm awake when the time changes. For the last two years (but not this one) I was also at work, struggling to finish an eight-hour cleaning job in six hours. (An additional hour is lost because the restaurant closes late on weekends.) So I work harder for less pay.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
So we could get up early before the sun burns up lawns and fiddle?
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Did God invent clocks? I'm all for going back to the old sundials.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So why change them for end of November to end of March. Basically that’s 4 months. Why not just leave it like it is for the rest of the year? Who likes it being dark at 4:30 PM in the winter. Yuck. Who cares if it’s still dark at 9 AM. Big deal. Plus no hassle of changing sleep patterns and clocks.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
And you know that God is offended when we reject the majesty of his creation and fiddle with time.
We're keeping the 7-day week.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but until we figure out where Eden was and what time it is there, we're just messing with it anyway, right?

Does anyone else find it amusing that it is just days after OSC complained about DST and the legislators are trying to fiddle with it even more?

I'm telling you, if you say it on Hatrack, the world takes notice. You can go to lesser known forums and say whatever you want but if you say it here, expect congress to act, or David Kelley to write a script about it.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want strict geography Eden was at the intersection of the Tigris and Euphraties and another river that doesn't exist anymore.

We could go by Eden Mean Time instead of Greenwich.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh!

I just realized that's what the Iraq War was about...the government is trying to locate Eden!

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I chime in and say, "Thanks anyway, but I disagree. I enjoy my time off work when there's some daylight. The more, the better.

Now, I'm not sure about extending daylight savings time. I kinda like things the way they are.

<inflammatory>
You can't remember to turn your clock ahead/back? Are these the same people who forget to file their taxes? The same ones who don't change the batteries in their smoke detectors? Jeez...some people.
</inflammatory>

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't change my clock. At least, not the one in my truck. For the summer it's 15 minutes ahead, for the winter it's 1 hour and 15 minutes ahead. No problem. My other clocks either change themselves or I set them to the correct time the first power outage after the switch. If I don't have to reset it 'cause it's blinking, it stays the same.

Ha!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I can understand the usefulness of daylight savings time when understood in the context of farm life and little or no electricity. However, since there are very few people in the US still living on farms or living without electricity, I think it's an idea that has long outlived its usefulness. With our flourescent lighting and multiple shiftwork and late-night tv, I think we have no need to continually fiddle with our clocks. That said, I'm really glad I live in Arizona, where the last thing we need is more daylight, but I still end up messing with my alarm clock because it automatically adjusts for daylight savings time. [Razz]

[ April 07, 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Notice how much energy its anticipated we'd save by a switch to longer daylight savings.

That's hardly an idea that's outlived its usefulness.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a thought. You know how your clock has been programmed to change itself for daylight savings? If they extend it, won't we all need to get new clocks? Or VCR's. My VCR's are programmed already. I doubt there's a downloadable patch for those.

I can understand the downtown areas wanting to extend it so people will shop. I know in the winter here, it's dark by 5:30.

I just wonder if the extra fuel savings won't be spent making new VCR's and clocks. [Wink]

Also, what time is it at the intersection of the Tigris and Euphraties? That's the real time. Right?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we just switch permanently then?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Accidents in the dark. Particularly accidents related to school children in the dark, waiting for the bus.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Bahh…. So switch the kid’s school by an hour then. Don’t switch everyone else.
I wonder if this is a way to slowly get to so it stays the same year round. Ya know wean us into it slowly. Have it this way for a few years, then move it again in a few years. Then finally everyone will be sick of switching at the beginning of the month and back at the end of the month that they finally say ok, we’ll quit.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.