FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Rape Prevention Device (yes, device - owie!!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Rape Prevention Device (yes, device - owie!!)
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That ranks right up there with 'making a pope', Mrs. M. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the previous mention of the user discussing how it's like the dentata in SnowCrash. I'm a huge fan of Neal Stephenson, and I think this particular "invention" in his tale has very real practical application.

For those of you who don't know, the dentata was essentially exactly like this device, with one small exception.

It was also a spring-loaded hypodermic loaded with an industrial-strength tranquilizer. Suffice to say the assailant would penetrate, have about five seconds to realize that HE had just been penetrated and that it hurt really bad, and then the warm fuzzy darkness of unconsciousness would greet him before he really had a good idea what had happened.

I think it's a great idea. Too many of the girls I know feel uncomfortable walking around alone at night, and some of them have taken to arming themselves, and that's a dangerous precedent. I'd much rather have someone I know be able to say "I'm not going to resist, he's going to get knocked out cold, and I'm going to press charges" than get involved in a potentially fatal encounter.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy - arming themselves with what?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people asked how incapacitating it would be.

If that thing went off on a guy, the last thing he would considering is sex. For a very, very, very long time.

After that...

Not as incapicating as a good kick in the jewels.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Large knives. Firearms.

This would be more like an implanted tranquilizer gun!

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.