FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices Near You (Page 11)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Gas Prices Near You
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I got gas here (Beaverton, OR) for $3.55 yesterday. It's been going down a few cents at a time for quite a while now! *crosses fingers that this won't change any time soon*
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $4/gallon on Tuesday, which was down from $4.30 at thte same station on Sunday. After the fact, I found out that I was lucky to have been able to get gas at all. A lot of the stations didn't have power, and those that did had had sold out, for the most part.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that speculators know that UncleSugah is gonna cover their bad debts from making bad bets on the mortgage market, they are taking the money set aside to cover those bad debts and sinking it back into betting up oil.
Since the mortgage bailout announcements, the price of a barrel of oil has gone up from $91.23 to $104.55 for a 14.6% increase in less than 3 days.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Now that speculators know that UncleSugah is gonna cover their bad debts from making bad bets on the mortgage market, they are taking the money set aside to cover those bad debts and sinking it back into betting up oil.
Since the mortgage bailout announcements, the price of a barrel of oil has gone up from $91.23 to $104.55 for a 14.6% increase in 2days.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
This bodes well:
quote:

Oil prices leaped more than $25 (U.S.) a barrel Monday — the biggest one-day price jump ever — as anxiety over the U.S. government's $700-billion bailout plan battered the dollar and touched off frenzied buying of safe-haven investments including crude.
Crude has gained about $40 in a dramatic four-day rally that has at least temporarily halted oil's steep two-month slide below $100. At this rate, crude is within striking distance of its all-time record of $147.27, reached in July.

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080922.woilprices0922/GIStory/
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Time to gas up.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
$3.27 here (has steadily dropped all week)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Shortages all over in my area. I paid $3.95 yesterday.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
No gas to be had here [Frown] (Atlanta)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas dropped like a stone for the last two days. It's down to $3.59 now in some places.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
It was $3.37 today. With the grocery store 10 cent discount we paid $3.27 a gallon. Its hovered around that for about a week now.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Due to hurricanes Gustav and Ike shutting down refineries and pipelines, there is a gas shortage panic in the South causing long lines and high prices .
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's been pretty difficult to find gas around metro-Atlanta lately. Took nearly half an hour to find a station with gas the night before last. The stations that did have gas were charging $4.29/gallon or more and limiting purchases to $25.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.95 !!! Whoo hoo! Finally dropped below $3 per gallon here today.

(Kansas has the benefit of having several different providers - so more competition, and not the problems like the South is having with gas shortages since they get all their fuel from one area)

(of course - clear back when this thread started, in 2005, gas was still lower than this [Frown] )

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
$3.51-$3.55 'round here,
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yesterday when I was out and about I spotted one station selling gas for $3.07. The next cheapest was $3.34, and the most expensive I passed was $3.66.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Farmgirl, where does Kansas get its oil? If I had to guess, I'd say Alberta and North Dakota.

$3.29 seems to be the average going rate around here. Nothing below $3.20, and nothing above $3.40 that I saw.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the first page of this thread is depressing and funny at the same time.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.85 today in Lexington, MA
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Three-Ninteen out here in the Great American Desert.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.75 in Minneapolis this morning @_o This can't last...hope my tank gets low enough to fill up before prices start climbing again.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We're at $2.89 here in metro Detroit. I can't believe how fast the price has dropped. It was down to $2.75 earlier in the week then popped back up to $3.09 and back down again. Word on the street is prices are in the $2.40 range for cash downriver. Crazy.

I'd love it if it came down to the $2.50-$2.75 range and stayed there all Winter.

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.49 in Springboro, Ohio this morning.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really? Nice. I'm starting to get low. I was seeing $2.75 to $2.83 when I was out yesterday evening (in Dayton, OH)
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas dropped about 10 cents overnight last week from $4.32 to $4.22. It's still exactly the same at pretty much every station on the island, but at least it's down a bit.

According to my friends in Honolulu, it's between $3.22 and $3.80 over there.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It dropped about 25 cents here in three days, down to $2.93
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was surprised when $40 nearly filled up my tank.

-o-

Hey Kwea, do you like Sugarland? Would you be interested in seeing them in concert?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Down to $3.25 today (but $.10 more per gallon if paying by credit card, which I thought was not legal?).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I do like them, but I don't know if I can afford to see them. I have a hearing regarding my unemployments soon, and if they decide in favor of JCPenney I have to pay thousands of dollars back. [Frown]

Where are they playing?

JenniK said that a service station had $1.99 gas for a day, but they sold out in about 4 hours. I think it was some sort of promo, because they usually aren't a cheap place to buy gas.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Lowest I've seen it here in northwest Atlanta area is $2.89. About a dollar lower than it was a few weeks ago.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.52 was the lowest that I saw last night in Minneapolis.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Where are they playing?

Kissimmee in early November.

-o-

Have you gotten a lawyer? I know it's expensive, but remembering how my father got screwed around with when he applied for Social Security benefits without one, and how smoothly it went with, I'm inclined to say you probably can't lose if you get a lawyer.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My regular station is down to 3.36. However, I was out and about in areas not normal to me today and was able to fill up for 3.19 instead. Less than $30 to completely fill the tank!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
We were down to around 2.19 here in OK today, too. It was nice. I still miss being able to pay $5 in gas to fill my VW's gas tank for two weeks.

[ October 18, 2008, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: BelladonnaOrchid ]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by BelladonnaOrchid:
We were down to around 2.19 here in OK today, too. It was nice. I still miss being able to pay $5 in gas to fill my VW's gas tank for two weeks.

$2.19?
Or is that a typo?

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that was a typo. I paid $3.32.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
2.19 seems pretty low, but it's believable. It's 2.38 here in Minneapolis.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Hey Kwea, I was looking at Google maps, and I figured that the intersection of the turnpike and US-27 near Leesburg and Howie-in-the-Hills is about exactly between us. It'd be less than an hours drive for each of us--more like 45 minutes. I don't know if there's anything there, but I figure there must be a bar or something, if you wanna hang out sometime without either of us having to drive 90 minutes.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sure...I'll give you a call. I would have been in town this evening to pick up my friend Pete...he had a job interview up here but his car is in repairs....but on the way there I blew an electrical circuit and had to get a $175 tow into town.

All for a $25 dollar repair. [Frown]

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I can beat the $175- I just got a $260 tow. There might have been better options, but late at night 60 miles from home with a sleepy toddler, it seemed like the best choice.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Sure...I'll give you a call. I would have been in town this evening to pick up my friend Pete...he had a job interview up here but his car is in repairs....but on the way there I blew an electrical circuit and had to get a $175 tow into town.

All for a $25 dollar repair. [Frown]

Will your car insurance reimburse the tow? Some will do that without having to pay a deductable.
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea-nope, not a typo. That was the price at the local gasohol (up to 10% ethanol) down the road from me. Non-gasohol places were at 2.29. I was talking to my Mom on the phone today and she said that it was 2.34 where she is in Wichita.

Cost of living is really low in Oklahoma, however in turn, jobs pay less.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Where Kwea and I live--well, maybe more where I live--wages are low but prices are high, thanks to the tourism.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't have towing on my insurance, and my AAA had expired two months ago (which I did not realize).

It could be worse...at least this is a repair I can do myself.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
We're down another 0.09 to $4.13 as of this morning. Still quite painful, but better than the $4.70+ it was all summer.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Down to $3.67 in the Detroit burbs.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! I paid $2.59 per gallon today! (DFW)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We paid $3.39 Sunday night (Camarillo, CA).
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
0.967 yesterday (Waterloo, ON)
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.69 in Atlanta.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.