FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hitchhiker Movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hitchhiker Movie
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go see it anyway. That review seemed to be from the will it be a good adaptation of the book point of view. Who knows, it may be a good movie but a bad adaptation of the book. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY does Zaphod have only one head?????
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! [Cry]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I was so looking foward to this... there was so much promise in that "other" trailer. But I read the detailed review and it sounds just plain bad. I don't understand how it could have been so completely missed!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
WHY does Zaphod have only one head?????
I thought he had two heads, but it wasn't in the way people probably envisioned someone having two heads. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I can believe in a Zaphod with one head.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

He does have two heads in this movie only one is apparantly hidden in his throat and rather angry, only popping up occaisionally.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think it would have been better if they just gave him two heads.
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
It would have also been more expensive while not contributing that much to the plot.

This bad review may actually make the movie better for me personally. When Webber's Phantom of the Opera was coming out I got pretty excited before a rash of bad reviews killed the hype I had built, and I forgot about it for the weeks coming up to release. Due to strange circumstances I saw it opening night, and I loved it.

Don't Panic?

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to this movie, until one review claimed it made Phantom Menace look good.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That is probably just the reviewers opinion. They probably hadn't read the book and didn't want to see it.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying not to panic..... but I think I need a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster to help me relax. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Or send you over the edge.... [Razz]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

It's times like this that I wish I'd listened to my mother.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Why, what did she say?
urbanX
Member # 1450

I don't know. I wasn't paying attention.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I think I'll have to see it, just to see if the reviews are right...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my preview at 8am this Wednesday, so I'll let you know after I've seen it.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I have one question, are we going to hear the thoughts of the whale and the bowl of petunias as they plummet towards their doom?
urbanX
Member # 1450

It looks like it. I saw the whale in the trailer.
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

The Aliens

The Universe

The Robot

[ April 12, 2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Lord Solar Macharius ]

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just got back from the press screening:

I personally thought they did a much better than MJ Simpson believes, but then Simpson has a hell of a lot of emotional investment in Hitchhiker's Guide.

However, not quite as good as I wouldv'e hoped. It's a bit of fun, not as Douglassy as true fans would like but there were some really great moments.

[WARNING --- SPOILERS FOLLOW]

OK, that's enough space. If you're still reading, you want to know. Having said that I'm not going to give away too much. That's mostly because the screening was at 8am and I'm a bit shattered.

A *lot* more guide entries that I'd been led to expect, given the MJ Simpson review.

The whale is there, and with the exception of the one little thing mentioned by Simpson, complete as written by Douglas.

I think that the one thing Simpson got right was that they did seem to remove a lot of the punchlines from setups and setups from punchlines....

Zaphod was just entirely weirder than expected - but then the book did allude to weirdness.

Some nice expansion of Trillian's character.

The Vogons are just great.

[/SPOILERS]

That's all I can be bothered with at the moment.... [Big Grin]

ZZzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz*snork*zzzZZZZzzzzz........

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

quote:
Zaphod: Freeze
Marvin: Freeze? I'm a robot, not a refrigerator.

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
So Troubs, does the Marvin from the TV series have a cameo, or is he just in that last video clip that Macharius posted?
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

Spoilerish:

I've heard tell that he has a pretty good cameo.

Troubadour
Member # 83

There are a couple of cool cameos.

Take 3D glasses if you can find them.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
The whale is there, and with the exception of the one little thing mentioned by Simpson, complete as written by Douglas.

I have not been failed! Do we hear what the bowl of petunias thinks?
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no. Not again. [Taunt]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
After a few days of trying I finally found the review... and this:
quote:
Characters just happen to be where they need to be and have what they need to have, even if it makes no sense for them to be there or to have that.
Convinces me the reviewer has no clue. The whole *book* was that way... and it was on purpose, too, because of the infinite improbability drive.

I'm resting a little easier. And besides, the "ain't it cool" guys review and this review pretty much cancel each other out, don't they?

Edit: perhaps this is a little harsh of me, but it's awfully silly to criticize the movie for one of the source materials obvious flaws... (if you're going to view it as a flaw)

[ April 14, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Some will never get it. Some never got Python either.

After seeing a few more commercials, I am again hopeful.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The author of that negative review can hardly be accused of not "getting" the book. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

Here's a new clip: THE WHALE!

Remember people, the MJ Simpson review complained about that "Hello ground!" line at the end. Did it actually bug anyone? I personally loved it, and thought it was delivered beautifully. If that's the kind of changes they made, I'll be quite happy.

urbanX
Member # 1450

DON'T PANIC!
Here are two positive reviews of the movie
Review 1
quote:
DON'T PANIC, fervent Douglas Adamites. This movie adaptation of the TV adaptation of the novelisation of the radio series is about as faithful as you can get. Yes, it's been tweaked and twizzled, with a romance inserted here, a new character plopped down there, but everything you love about The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy remains intact - not to mention reinvigorated by its big-screen reincarnation.

review 2
quote:
If you've never encountered The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy before then this is as good a version as any to use as your introduction, and you're in for a treat. And if you love this film as much as you should, then go out and track down the original radio show, because there's more, much more, where this film came from.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Maybe I'll see it after all...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to see it...Troub, would you take an 8 year old?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I never doubted the fact that I wanted to see it. I'll freak the people there out with my towel. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.