FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cops Raid Home of Fast-Food Finger Finder (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cops Raid Home of Fast-Food Finger Finder
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Cops Raid Home of Fast-Food Finger Finder

No way. If this turns out to be a money grab. Wow.. I guess there isn’t anything people wouldn’t try to do for a buck though…..

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That just made a nasty story twice as nasty.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not making a judgment on this woman's story, but no matter what, I respect how aggressively Wendy's is pushing for an investigation of what happened. If it happened in their supply chain, they need to know where. If this woman is faking a claim, then I appreciate that they're not simply cutting a settlement check.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a story suggesting the finger came from a dead aunt.

But it doesn't surprise me - my father used to work for Coca-Cola in quality control.

You'd be amazed at the kinds of things people toss in drink containers and try to make a quick buck.

If they'd seen the bottling process, they'd realize what kind of uphill battle they faced.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

TMI
TMI
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Yes?
Yes?

Oh...TMI....gotcha... [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So are you saying that the bottling process is solid and hard to get things by or that things happen.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It is amazingly difficult to sabotage Coca-Cola's production line and accidental flavorings ala mouse are equally unlikely.

Coca-Cola invests a great deal of time, energy and resources into a secured production line - any hint or challenge is thoroughly investigated.

I can't speak to the quality controls of other manufacturers, however.

-Trevor

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, like a mouse would last long submerged in Coca-cola. [Razz]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you raise a baby mouse in a beer bottle until it's too large to crawl out, though, it's your ticket to a lifetime of free beer. It's foolproof!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, they’ll steamroll you, you hoser!!!
TMedina
Member # 6649

*snicker* Actually, it's not.

There are quite a few tests to determine the nature of the contaminant and how long the contaminant has been present.

I don't know if they do a rodent autopsy to look for cola in the lungs or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

-Trevor

Edit: Not that I think Noeman was serious, but I felt the need to be obnoxious. [Big Grin]

[ April 08, 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On Thursday, Wendy's announced it would give a $50,000 reward to the first person providing verifiable information leading to the positive identification of the origin of the finger.
I dont know why, but that made me laugh. Out loud.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

In the spirit of this thread, it'll be far too funny if one of the woman's relations rats her out. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, since this thread is beyond nasty as it is, I am going to add the nastiest story ever.

My mother in law went into the fridge one day and took out a half-finished Coke. She took a sip.

EW! she cried.

Something was in her Coke. My husband was sitting right there, and wondered what the problem was. His mother started to say she was going to sue the Coke company. She poured the Coke into a glass to see what was in it.

My husband quickly jumped up and poured the Coke into the sink. His mother was furious. He was destroying the evidence!

He didn;t want to tell her, but he had to.

It was...

chew spit.

Yup. He had spit into the can and absent-mindedly put it back in the fridge.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh.

This is why you never, ever take a drink from a container you didn't personally open and keep in your immediate care, custody and control. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Especially when you go to a college in Vermont, where everyone is too healthy to smoke, but unhealthy enough to chew.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the nightmares, Elizabeth.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Even worse than the finger, The Pixiest?
TMedina
Member # 6649

Mmmm...tastes like chicken! Fingers...

-Trevor

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Parts is parts....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Chew spit. Yuck. Bet she never drink from another open can in the fridge again!
I laughed pretty loud in the office when I read that one…. Fun!

Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrmmm soda stories!

Picture it... a nice beautiful day at the pool, you are about 14 years old. Its sunny a little hot, and it is break time so you can't swim. Good thing you bought that orange soda the last time you got out of the pool...

You take a nice big swig... but something isn't right. There's a lump of something in your mouth now and you're sure its not supposed to be there!

Bleh! You spit out the soda/lump, and what do you see on the pavement?

A big fuzzy yellow BUMBLE BEE.

Yeah it happend to me once... it sucked.. but at least it wasn't alive enough to sting my mouth [Razz]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Note to self. Never try to run a scam where EVERYTHING IS LOADED WITH DNA.

Gee, don't these folks ever watch CSI?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Assuming, of course, the finger belongs to a family member and not another family's...member. So to speak.

But even so, the woman had to be aware that she would have been investigated just to make sure it wasn't a hoax and, as noted earlier, Wendy's is really motivated to find out the particulars.

-Trevor

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
50 Gees to finger a de-fingerer? I would roll over on my brother for that much.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they nail whoever is responsible.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Is that what they call an in-groan joke?

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Apparently the partial fingerprint didn't generate any matches.

DNA tests are still pending.

-Trevor

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth: A finger is really really really really really gross.

However, coagulated, chilled saliva? Just kill me now. EWWWWWW!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

They need to get the Murder She Wrote detective on this. That should fill Angie's week.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I remembered when they found a rat's paw in a bottle of Coke. I think one of the city coucil men stated that "if this is just a paw, I wonder where the rest of the body is."
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It could be anywhere - there's just no tailing.

-Trevor

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Very cheesy, T.
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
The link won't load. [Frown]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cops Raid Home of Fast-Food Finger Finder

Friday, April 08, 2005

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Investigators searched the Las Vegas home of a woman who claimed she scooped up a mouthful of finger along with her chili at a Wendy's restaurant last month.

City police, working with their counterparts in Las Vegas, served the warrant Wednesday as they investigated how a finger ended up in Anna Ayala's (search) bowl of chili.

"We are looking into every aspect in this case," San Jose police spokeswoman Gina Tepoorten said. "We are talking to people she knows as well as the finder of the finger. ... We want to determine who this finger belongs to and how it ended up in a bowl of chili."

Police would not say what was listed in the warrant.

Ayala, 39, was at the San Jose restaurant March 22 when she claimed she scooped up the 11⁄2-long fingertip. She later filed a claim with the franchise owner, Fresno, Calif.-based JEM Management Corp. (search)

"Just knowing that there was a human remain in my mouth ... it is disgusting. It is tearing me apart inside," Ayala told ABC's "Good Morning America" on March 28.

Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini would not comment on the police investigation.

There was no answer at a home phone number listed for an Anna Ayala in Las Vegas. However, she told the San Jose Mercury News she would like to know what police were looking for in her home.

"I've been dragged through the mud," she said. "We've been treated like animals. I've been through too much."

On Thursday, Wendy's announced it would give a $50,000 reward to the first person providing verifiable information leading to the positive identification of the origin of the finger.

"It's very important to our company to find out the truth in this incident," said Tom Mueller, Wendy's president and chief operating officer.

Wendy's maintains the finger did not enter the food chain in its ingredients. All the employees at the San Jose store were found to have all their fingers, and no suppliers of Wendy's ingredients have reported any hand or finger injuries, the company said.

The Santa Clara County (search) coroner's office, using a partial fingerprint to attempt to find a match in an electronic database, came up empty. DNA testing is still being conducted.

Is this better?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I can't imagine why this woman is mad she's getting a...chili...reception.

-Trevor

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Tmed: ::AAAAAGGG!!:: ::Runs screaming from the room!::
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Aw, Pix doesn't like puns. That's so cuticle.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I love puns. Running screaming from the room is VERY high praise.

::puts on her headset and listens to Dido::

TMedina
Member # 6649

Nah, she's just bean cuticle.

Edit: By now, she's probably stewing.

-Trevor

[ April 08, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Whatsever.

[ April 08, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

You gotta hand it to Wendy's...they normally have great severice, but when they give you the finger...

I realize I'm cutting in on Dag's puns, but I've been chopping at the bit all day.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Although I have to give Dag credit, I'm not nearly as cleaver as he is.

-Trevor

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nonesense! You're chucking them out faster than I am.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, this is what is bound to happen in the digital age!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

However it came about, it sounds like she really has a bone to pick with Wendy's.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder who'll knuckle under first....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think Wendy's will thumb their noses at her for a while.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe. But then, I thik she'll give Da man a cure!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.