FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, America, feel free to NOT drop your rockets on us. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hey, America, feel free to NOT drop your rockets on us.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Word, Pod.

And FWIW, Canada is exceedingly diverse, and growing even moreso by leaps and bounds. Pretty international feel to the big cities. (Not that this makes a point in itself, just a fascinating article about the topic.)

[From the March 23, 2005, edition of the Tornonto Globe and Mail:]

quote:
The number of visible minorities in Canada is expected to double by 2017 and form more than half the population in greater Toronto and Vancouver, according to new projections that highlight the country's growing diversity.

If current trends hold, one in every five faces will be non-white in 12 years when Canadians mark the 150th anniversary of Confederation, Statistics Canada said yesterday.

"Canada's ethno-cultural makeup, especially in large urban areas, is changing rapidly, bringing political decision makers . . . a number of challenges and opportunities, particularly in the areas of urban development, labour market integration, health and social services, and public institutions," the report says.

The findings come as a "bit of a reality check," said Ratna Omidvar, executive director of the Maytree Foundation, a Toronto think tank.

"It means that there are issues we need to resolve faster. We need to be a little bit more mindful about issues of social cohesion and social inclusion and ramp up the efforts that are currently under way to ensure that, in fact, the new Canada works."

Minister of State for Multiculturalism Raymond Chan said the government is working to improve employment opportunities for visible-minority immigrants, who face more challenges than Caucasian newcomers.

"It's a good challenge," he said. "The Canadian population has always been evolving. We're a land of immigrants, so diversity is not something new to us and, so far, we've been able to take advantage of our diversity and become a very strong nation."

Jeffrey Reitz, head of the ethnic studies program at the University of Toronto, noted that immigration policy has "produced constant demographic change over time," as waves of people have arrived in Canada from every corner of the world.

[ April 11, 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, few things are more likely to get me to post, like people complaining about America, and few things are more likely to get Ted to post than that, plus a mention of China to boot [Wink]
*scribbles notes for when Rakeesh stops posting again*

[Big Grin]

quote:
And FWIW, Canada is exceedingly diverse, and growing even moreso by leaps and bounds. Pretty international feel to the big cities. (Not that this makes a point in itself, just a fascinating article about the topic.)
[Smile]

Here's an interesting tangent: the Conservative party is courting the "ethnic" vote over the gay marriage issue, while simultaneously advocating reducing immigration. It's a double-whammy of irony!

(I laugh, but I'm actually scared, because since Parliament is full of old white men there's a chance the gay marriage bill won't pass the mostly-free vote.)

Edit: Anyone know how we can bring Pierre Trudeau back from the dead?

[ April 11, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing i love about canada is that they collect statistics on everything. None of this "Oh, i'm John McCain and i want to cut spending for scientific enterprise" stuff. If it's out there, and it can be counted, Canada's doing it. (Disclaimer: this statement is largely hyperbole, except the part about Canada. they do collect alot of statistics).

Jeff:

Brazilians pride themselves on how diverse they are. Granted my first hand experience visiting Sao Paulo was brief, but it totally bore out what i'd been told. Granted there are other rampant problems in Brazil, but diversity is certainly not one of them.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

Oh, and Twink, US conservatives do the exact same thing.
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

quote:
Finally, nothing is ultimately done, and the conversation peters out without so much as a second thought.
Oh-ho, the irony...
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
StatsCan is indeed awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brazilians pride themselves on how diverse they are. Granted my first hand experience visiting Sao Paulo was brief, but it totally bore out what i'd been told. Granted there are other rampant problems in Brazil, but diversity is certainly not one of them.
Diversity in race works completely different in Brazil than in America. From it's beginning, inter-racial marriages were relatively accepted. In fact, in their Pocahontas-style story (her name was The Virgin with the Lips of Honey), she married the Portugese prince. Their children, the mixing of the blood, were the first Brazilians, according to the story/legend.

I'd say that it's fair to say that over half of the Brazilian population has some African blood in them. Also, having a black parent doesn't make you black -- having dark skin does.

And even though they consider traditionally African features unattractive, they believe that to be a true beauty, you must have some African blood in you.

It's pretty different.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as though ethnic diversity is vibrant and accepted in Brazil, then. I am glad to hear it. I wonder about other sorts of diversity, though? Political and religious, in particular?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there were not rockets here....Stupid Bush.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pretty international feel to the big cities.
Toronto is considered one of the most diverse cities in the world. I never go through a day when I do not hear at least one other language other than English, and usually I hear several. And from everywhere too, not just Asia or Europe.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

South America almost entirely is Catholic, this isn't particularly surprising given Brazil's specific history. I know there isn't any overt religious discrimination but i can't actually attest to the emergeny properties of brazilian society, neither having spent much time in Brazil nor being Brazillian.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was referring to, Ted. There are many types of diversity.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.