FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adobe Dreamweaver CS... coming soon!

Author Topic: Adobe Dreamweaver CS... coming soon!
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Adobe just anounced its agreement to buy Macromedia for 3.4 billion dollars!

[Eek!]

I am still waiting for the anti-trust guys to come in. Although I am not sure if they will because it isn't like these two companies REALLY competed because they both had such a huge market share of their own niche (Macromedia had dreamweaver and flash for the web while Adobe has Photoshop and Illustrator for print).

Then again, this would be akin to microsoft buying out apple... where is the need to innovate, or a need to keep prices low?

I bought the macromedia suite of products for what it costs people to buy a single copy of photoshop =P

So we will see what will happen.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really really don't like this. Adobe has enough market control as it IS and they're expensive ENOUGH.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...Macromedia has an office here in Dallas. I wonder if they are hiring...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

What will happen to Fireworks?? Or Dreamweaver, for that matter??

I *love* my Macromedia suite, I'll be so sad if it goes away...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

I imagine it will go something like this

Adobe Golive -> Adobe Dreamweaver CS
Macromeadia Fireworks -> Adobe Imageready
Macromedia Freehand -> Adobe Illustrator
Adobe LiveMotion(which is defunct anyway) -> Adobe Flash CS

Just speculation though.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Hey Kat, what do you do for a living? And do you need a job in Dallas?
katharina
Member # 827

I'm a technical writer and sometime web designer. I have a job right now, but it's spring, and I'm restless, and I was just thinking. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Alright. =) I was just wondering because I too am in Dallas, and I work for a web design/web applications company, and we have been hiring lately [Big Grin] .

If you are interested, let me know and I will give you some more of the details of where / who you can send a resume to and all that [Wink] .

katharina
Member # 827

Cool - e-mail sent. [Smile]
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm glad, because I've always been interested in Flash, but Macromedia's stuff bugs the heck out of me. I've never been able to make peace with Dreamweaver, and the few times I have tried Flash, I've been underwhelmed.

Here's to changes for the better! [Hat]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

Dreamweaver isn't so bad, but I know HTML and I rarely if ever use it as a WYSIWYG editor. I mostly use it for its code completion and its FTP functionality (which is still lacking).

Flash does have a fairly steep learning curve if you aren't used to timelines. Once you get that part down, as well as the way their library and movie clips and such function, then it isn't so bad.

I am still not very concerned with adobe not wanting to inovate after this merge since they have always tried to move forward with their products, but I am concerned on what this means for the price of the software.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Macromedia was competing with Adobe on too many fronts. Dreamweaver and FreeHand were pretty much the main products that directly competed with Adobe products. With this acquisition, Adobe will be able to strengthen some of its weaker areas--namely web design and Flash animation.

Adobe has pretty much monopolized the rest of the design industry already. All the designers I work with are pretty happy about this move. It just makes the company they depend on the most even stronger.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh...I don't worry, there is always Kazaa...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See, in order for me to learn exactly how the tags and language works, I need a WYSIWYG editor, at least at first, and if I'm using a new idea or tag or something. Otherwise, I can code by hand.

I still need to learn CSS. Shhh.

But I did figure out yesterday while redoing my site to be run from my MovableType that I need to SEE what a template or template tag will do BEFORE I can really design and write it. So much trial and error, when all I needed was an example, and I could've done it faster.

*shrug*

It still got done. Just took way longer than I wanted.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Adobe has pretty much monopolized the rest of the design industry already.
Too true. Who else is there that can really compete with programs like Photoshop and Illustrator? Quark's being displaced by InDesign. Pretty soon, Adobe's going to have a completely unstoppable lineup of products. It sounds cool, but it also sounds a little bit scary.
quote:
I still need to learn CSS.
Yeah, you do. It really adds a whole new dimension to web design.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

quote:
Flash does have a fairly steep learning curve if you aren't used to timelines.
I think this was directed at me, and it made me smile. Which I've been needing to do all day. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

quote:
I think this was directed at me, and it made me smile. Which I've been needing to do all day. [Smile]
LOL. Well that was the hardest part for me (since I never used timelines before), The rest was mostly figuring out the way they used movie clips, nesting movie clips, and using actionscript to control the movie based on events.

Other than that I had some issues with how it handles drawing when compared to Illustrator, but that can be worked through by doing their tutorials [Big Grin]

Where did it give you trouble? Or did you just get perturbed at a lack of a certain feature or some kind of interface issue?

Zeugma
Member # 6636

It's been well over a year, so I'm sure a lot of these have been addressed, but I felt very limited overall. I wanted it to be more like Final Cut, with actual transitions and splicing tools, and I wanted it to be more like MAX and Maya, with graph editors and cameras and total control over the animation. It felt like every time I wanted to grab a tool to change something, the tool wasn't there. [Smile]

I've heard that, at the very least, Flash has transitions like dissolves now, so I'm sure I'd be happier with it today.

I say as I sit here trying to create a totally 2D animation in Maya, and grousing every step of the way. [Big Grin]

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I didn't know you were a web designer! I am too (actually went to school for it)! Unfortunately I am only working on one website now and hope to find more website work, but it is hard to find. I am also a Media Technician for my day job. [Smile]

Edit: Oh and I am not thrilled about this Adobe and Macromedia thing either. Adobe is too expensive.

[ April 18, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only reason they've done this is becuse I JUST got in the newest Acrobat, Photoshop CS AND Dreamweaver MX 2004.

argh.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.