FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I deleted a thread

Author Topic: I deleted a thread
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry.

I really hate it when other people do that.

But I started a thread and half the people who posted thought I was pointing at THEM, and I wasn't.

I forgot how touchy that subject is.

I apologize to all who lost posts that they liked in there. And especially to those who posted thinking I was talking about them personally. I wasn't.

Thought it was best.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear...

You deleted it because of me, didn't you?

[Cry]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ether_ore
Member # 7844

- posted      Profile for ether_ore   Email ether_ore         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie... how is a 'troll' defined?
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly, someone who posts things purely for shock value, or otherwise to get a reaction. However, it is often applied to people who are just rude or unpleasant, without necessarily having any intention to shock.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka [ROFL]

ether_ore: Great screen-name, by the way.

That's the other reason I deleted it. Every time someone posts about "that behavior" we get into a huge discussion/argument about whether someone is or is not a troll.

It's not worth it.

Basically, the real situation is that I got ticked off at two people who make joking responses in threads that I was taking seriously. So, is the offense theirs or mine?

In the final analysis, they really didn't say anything THAT terrible, it was just that I thought they were acting inappropriately and ought to know better, when, in reality, there was not earthly reason they shouldn't try to be funny if they had it in them.

The fact that their humor was lost on me doesn't make them trolls.

Ah well.

A troll truly is a mythical beastie.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I know the thread you mean, unless it was "God, you say". I could see half the people on hatrack thinking that was directed at them. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

But I meant to say maybe you could have posted that you were going to delete it if anyone wanted to save their stuff. I consider everything I post on hatrack dust in the wind. If I want to save it, I copy it to livejournal at the time I post it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

mothertree -- I did give 10 minute's warning, but by then I truly wanted the thread to die before the whole "troll/not troll" debate started up again.

It was a thread about trolls and their proper care and feeding.

It's gone. Dust in the wind indeed.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

KoM: I'm shocked! Shocked I say!
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
So when you apply a troll, is it topically or internally?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I use the roll-on type myself.
ether_ore
Member # 7844

- posted      Profile for ether_ore   Email ether_ore         Edit/Delete Post 
ty... ty...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that worries about how they come across <grin>.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, it was me.

Bob was just kind enough to delete the thread in order to spare my feelings.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Trevor, I wasn't trying to spare your feelings. I was trying to stop you from exploding like a troll-bomb all over the frequin' place.

<boom>
<splat>

We just got this place cleaned up from the last time.

Sheesh!

[Roll Eyes]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky's "just ignore the trolls" thread (his point was more complex - that's the brief summary) was bumped recently, too. I guess I'm skipping the problematic threads lately. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I call that sparing my feelings - going *booom* and *splat* wouldn't feel all that great. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason for the deletion is obvious.

Bob's a controll freak.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

:groan:
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who hears this when reading the title of this thread:

"I deleted a thread
And started the whole world deleting
Oh, but I didn't see
That the deletion was on me
Oh, no"

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one who hears this when reading the title of this thread
Sadly, no. And I'm glad I'm not the only one either. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I hear it now.

Um...thanks.

LOL.

controll freak. ha!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks for that, Speed.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft.

I think all these issues would disappear if people would exercise a little self-controll.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I'd gotten here earlier so I'd know what y'all are talking about. *sigh* This place moves too fast for me.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
Troll. 1) that great big stupid thing in Harry Potter that got the magic wand up the nose. 2) those great big stupid things in LotR that excelled in running away or falling down dead like a ton of bricks when shot in the mouths by very gorgeous elves. 3) Perhaps you get the point by now. [Wink]

Hyperflow, here I come!

~Ele

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.