FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Car Names

Author Topic: Car Names
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 cars and still haven't named them yet. My last car that I named was when I was single and it was a 81 Toyota Corona named "Artemis". My husband when I was dating him named his car "Scotty" and we had that car for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas for a Toyota Camry and Honda Civic? I like to name them after cartoon characters.. my first car was named "Demona" (a character in "Disney's Gargoyles")

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend named his PT Cruiser "Pete". I thought that was really cute. [Smile]

I still haven't named my car yet though.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron the Camry?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, you could have your own Takeshi Honda! Not a cartoon character though... [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always set up an auction for the right to name your cars... see the other thread about naming the babies?? Why give away the chance to name your cars for FREE?!

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] hah selling the name for your car, my favorite is the lady that has a .com name.

My first car was a '77 Tbird with a 351 bored to 400, named Big Red,

Part of me thinks it hilarious that anthrapamorphize inanimate objects and the other part cries when your beloved companion goes to the scrap heap cause there is no other recourse.

My current car is a '99 Subaru Impreza RS named Scooby.

You have to drive a car before you can name it.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: calaban ]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We just purchased a Toyota Sienna this weekend, and I hadn't thought about naming it.

What do you guys think about Berndt?

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Berndt Sienna! I love it!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be where we posted the names of our own cars. [Smile] I will anyway. I have a Cavalier named Helen of Troy. When I was trying to name it, I asked my sister what she thought I should name it. At the time, she really liked a boy named Troy. So she said Troy. I said that my car is a girl, and she's very beautiful, so I named her Helen of Troy.

As for your cars, named after cartoon characters... there's just so many choices! Cogsworth, Sebastian, Kuzco, Darkwing Duck! The possibilities are endless.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I named my first car Otto.

(kind of a pun...)

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Our Bonneville is named Bonnie, of course. Haven't thought of a name for my little Nissan pickup yet.

Papa Moose, you just bought a Sienna? Did you compare different minivans at all? We're slowly entering the minivan market and I want to know the best ones.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everyone we've talked to says the same thing -- Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey. We compared various stuff online, but the only ones we test-drove were Siennas (Siennae?). And we bought the older, cheaper one (because we're older and cheaper).
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
How many does your Sienna seat? Does it have good storage capacity? Is it fun to drive?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
My '85 Camry, after Dan bought it from us, was named "Magical Girl Pretty Camry." I started referring to my Corolla as "Purple Butt" when looking for it in a parking lot, and it kinda stuck.

So.

We're dorks. [Blushing]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Seats seven. With seven seated, there won't be much storage space, but there are only four of us, so there's a good amount of room, and there'll be more if we actually take out the back seats rather than just fold them down. Maybe we've gotten a little spoiled space-wise, since our other minivan is a Grand Voyager.

The ride is smooth and excellent. We got the quad seating rather than the bench, but that's because the kids seem to do just a little better when they can't reach each other so well. In the long run, it probably makes it tougher to get into the back. But if/when we have another kid, we can leave one of the seats out, put the older kids in the very back, baby in the other mid-row seat, and have floor space for diaper changes.

The seats aren't as adjustable (location-wise) in this as in our Voyager, but overall I think we prefer this one.

And there are like 600 places for me to put a cup of coffee. *smile*

--Pop

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of naming cars until my wife told me she named her first car (a 1993 Nissan Sentra) Murphy.

Sadly, we had to sell Murphy a year ago when we bought our new van, which is, coincidentally enough, a Toyota Sienna, which has not yet been named, at least to my knowledge.

The Sienna is fantastic, by the way. We tested the Honda, the new Nissan, the Mazda, the Ford, even the Kia. We are thrilled with our choice. Ours seats eight, though with three car seats the most we can really fit is six.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
A high school friend named his white van "Vanna White"
Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never named my car, but my friend from high school named his car SPOC meaning stupid peice of crap
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread could be a "tell us your car's name thread". I actually made that thread back in 2000 (believe it or not) but it's time to do it again. [Smile]

I think cars should have names... boats have names why not cars!? When I was little my dad had a sailboat named "Lobo". I miss that boat.

My brother actually had a truck he named Tod, meaning Truck of Doom.

quote:
My '85 Camry, after Dan bought it from us, was named "Magical Girl Pretty Camry." I started referring to my Corolla as "Purple Butt" when looking for it in a parking lot, and it kinda stuck.

So.

We're dorks

Purple butt! [ROFL] That is hilarious. Is it actually purple?

As for our cars I'm considering naming our Toyota "Cammy".... but I don't think that is creative enough. Maybe "Slinky"? Because of Toyota... you know Toy....

UH.. [Embarrassed] .... nevermind. [Blushing]

[ April 25, 2005, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Montero is, Monty.

My best friend has a Camry called Yoda (Toyota...)

And another friend's car has been labelled "Stinky Pete" because, well, it smells downright funky.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Yoda, I love it!
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What would you name a VW Jetta?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing that came to mind was Jetson. Or Jet. Or something along those lines.

OK, that was probably not helpful. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Maybe "Wimpy"?

heh, I don't know, I just find the car to be really slow....

A 2.0 liter inline 4 cylinder engine isn't doing much for me.

I want more power under the hood. Granted, it's a lot faster than my old Subaru was, but still, I need more than 115 horsepower. [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:

And there are like 600 places for me to put a cup of coffee. *smile*

That's what I'm talking about. [Smile] mmmm coffee....

I'm going to get some. [Smile]

Nick
Member # 4311

get some COFFEE. Watch it you OOC freaks.
[Razz]

Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents just bought a new Toyota Corolla today...we named it 'Serenity'. Guess which TV show is one of our favorites?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Our car, a 2004 Corolla, is Oleen, after my wife's grandma. We plan to name all our vehicles. We also name kitchen appliances form time to time.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

((off subject)) Hey Wonder Dog.. were you on Hatrack back in 2000? I think I remember seeing you around. ((/off subject))

[ April 26, 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My car is a blue Renault Alliance. It's named Le Smurf.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The car I had before my current one (it was an 87 Mitsubishi Mirage with about 180000 miles on it) was named "You Piece a Junk", as in, "C'mon You Piece a Junk, you can do it!!"
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
The first car I really named was my tomato red Geo Metro--Crimson Tilly. After she got squashed, I got another Metro that I called Tilly 2. Now, I call my Outback Francine. [Dont Know]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
My first car was a beige 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme; we named it The Beigemobile

We bought a 1997 Hyundai Accent; named it the Go-Kart.

Next was a 1994 Ford Explorer; named (predictably) the Exploder.

We just bought a 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx wagon, since we are going to be having kids soon, we named it the Tot-Rocket.

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

uw, yes, my car is purple. [Smile] Misty Plum is the official color, I believe. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a used Corolla? And I got lucky enough to find a purple one!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my cars have ever had a name that is repeatable in public. [Frown] It might have something to do with the fact that my dad has taken me to the repossessed/towed car auctions to buy them, and I wasn't allowed to spend more than $200 on a running a vehicle.

My dad's truck however has always been called 'the beast.' It's a 3/4 ton ford diesel the original paint is long since gone and it has a gray matte primer that is beginning to rust in some places. However it gets its name from the fact that it can't stall out unless it's in 4th gear. I can come to a complete stop in first, second or third, gear, and the thing will keep on chugging. Not that I did it on purpose, but it was a good vehicle to learn to drive a stick in.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

We took Mooselet to the doc yesterday (103.5 temp, but he's pretty ok now). I checked in, then sat down and waited. Maybe 15 minutes later, I walked back up to the counter because I realized I hadn't paid the co-pay.

When the person behind the counter looked it up, she showed that we had two insurances, and I guess assumed that between them we'd end up paying nothing. I was pretty sure we had only one, and that we needed to pay ten bucks. She asked if it was Blue Shield, and I confirmed that it was. She showed two listed -- Blue Shield HMO, and Blue Shield POS. I told her I was pretty sure that we had the HMO, and that I didn't even know what a POS was, other than a fitting description for my car. That got chuckles from several of the people behind the counter.

This thread seemed a fitting place for such information.

--Pop

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I just bought a used Corolla. It's in great running condition, too. [Smile]

I was thinking of maybe calling it "Cory". I considered "Rolly", but that sounded dangerous and I didn't want to curse it or anything. [Wink]

Vána
Member # 6593

Congrats on finding a used Corolla! I imagine it will last you quite a long time. However, I would still advise against naming it Rolly. [Wink]
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the point in naming cars. I guess I just think it is a hunk of steel. I just refer to it as my car. Though, a few years ago, my then girlfriend used to always give me a hard time about the fact that my car didn't have a name. Her car was named "cookie monster." Evidentally the fact that it was blue, made that a good name for it. I told her that she could give my car a name...but she said that it wouldn't be the same. So finally, I relented and named it Bob. I figured if I had to name the car, I would be a smart ass and give it a generic name. I was far more amused by it than she was though.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a friend who just bought a Cadillac and named it Bernard. I though it was very fitting.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.