FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon is here, like, TODAY! Can I get a w00t? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DallasCon is here, like, TODAY! Can I get a w00t?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thread where I get all my excitement out, and discuss one topic a day.

Today:

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot

Temperatures have been climbing, even with thunderstorms coming through. Make sure you all bring clothes for warm weather and plenty of sunscreen; highs are predicted to be in the upper 80's and lows in the upper 60's during DallasCon.

I got my first sunburn of the year yesterday.

The T-storms are supposed to have cleared out by then, though; hopefully that will happen!

I had never seen a thunderstorm actually literally pass through until I moved here; you can hear it coming, then it gets closer, then it's on top of you, then it rolls on off! I grew up in the land of valleys near the sea; we didn't often get thunderstorms, and when we did, they stayed and stayed and stayed all day. It's kinda cool to see them go on by.

[ May 27, 2005, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
blackcatwings (Ivygirl's friend) is NOT coming to DallasCon -- something about being grounded due to a poor grade in Chemistry. So our group is back down to just three (note for your dinner reservations).

I'm so exhausted after having just returned from five days in D.C. that I'm afraid to begin even thinking about DallasCon for a few days yet...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, that means they're down to 3 in rivka's room, then? (This should be in the planning thread, but what the heck!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that means only two people to fight over the other bed. [Wink] We should start a betting thread -- one is threatening to bring hardware, and the other is a mother of three. [Big Grin]

I'm sorry to hear that bcw can't come. [Frown] The irony is that I tutor chemistry . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

8 days to go!

Today: Eating Well in Richardson

Restaurant reservations are made. We made them for 9:30. Orders will have to be in by 9:40 or 9:45 so the people in the kitchen can go home. [Smile]

It was quite amusing, actually; forgot to leave a name, called back, and the reason they hadn't asked for it was because they have caller ID. [Laugh] Boy, I felt stupid.

Check out the menu if you haven't already. [Party]

[ May 19, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just one week to go! This time next week, we'll be on our way to pick up rivka!

Today's topic: Will anyone want to go swimming?

I'm thinking teenagers here, especially, who might get hot and bored and want to go.

That weekend the City of Richardson's public pools open, and on the 28th, there's free admission from 1-9 at all pools. Or if someone just really wants to go hang out alone, we're allowed a guest or two at our pool, and it doesn't get too much use. So that option's open. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:

I'm sorry to hear that bcw can't come. The irony is that I tutor chemistry . . .

Actually, the irony, rivka, is that Ivygirl has been tutoring this girl in chemistry as best she can. Ivygirl has an "A" in the class, and spends many evenings over at bcw's house trying to help. So Ivygirl feels bad too -- that her friend is struggling with chemistry.

Swimming? Oh my. We don't even currently own swimsuits that fit - it has been so long. And none of us know how to swim, and we all sunburn really really easily. But I'll mention it to my two and see if they are interested.

..now, if there is a hot tub...... [Wink]

FG

edit: I can't believe I wrote "swing" instead of "swim" and KQ didn't even tease me about my mistake! [Eek!]

[ May 20, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There's nothing at the hotel; I just thought that teenagers might be more interested in spending part of the day at the public pool (or our apt. pool) than hanging out with old weirdos and a bunch of kids. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

FG, I figured you were talking about being uncoordinated. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:

I'm sorry to hear that bcw can't come. The irony is that I tutor chemistry . . .

Actually, the irony, rivka, is that Ivygirl has been tutoring this girl in chemistry as best she can. Ivygirl has an "A" in the class, and spends many evenings over at bcw's house trying to help. So Ivygirl feels bad too -- that her friend is struggling with chemistry.

[Frown] I have some students like that in my class. Who are really trying, but just don't get it.

It's one of the reasons I base part of the grade on effort/participation, on their notes, and on effort shown on homework. Even so, I have had students who were really trying and managed to do so poorly on their tests that they got high Cs or low Bs.

I'm glad my parents were always more concerned about whether I was putting in effort than my actual grades. (Well, it wasn't true at the time, when an A- might get me more grief than a C.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Didn't do this yesterday because it was my birthday and I was away from the computer most of the day. [Big Grin]

Today's topic: Birthday Cake and Rhubarb Pie

We're planning on chocolate cake for the birthday cake. No objections, right? Good.

Now, I don't want to make rivka jealous, but she'll be getting her own rhubarb soon enough, anyway, so since ElJay is sending me rhubarb, and it should get here in time for me to bake it, I will almost certainly have some rhubarb pie that everyone is welcome to share on Friday. [Smile] I thought it would be kinda neat. And you'll also get to try my family recipe for pie crust. Yumminess! [Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yummy! I'm so excited! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bounces*

Ok, in order for me to be able to attend without feeling guilt, I need to get certain things done first.
  • Write physics final (currently about 90-95% complete).
  • Write chemistry test (deadline: Tuesday).
  • Write biology test (deadline: Tuesday).
  • Write gen sci test (deadline: Wednesday).
  • Get at least somewhat caught up on my grading (deadline: weeks ago [Blushing] ).
I also need to update my resume for the interview I have with Academy 123 on Wednesday, and it would be good if I made it into the office for a few hours this afternoon (edit: it's 4:30 already -- evening) to play catch-up there.

Encouragement, nagging, and other forms of tushie-kicking are requested. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, if you are a grump all weekend because you didn't get everything done, I'm not going to play with you. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

What about if I'm a grump because I did get everything done, but got no sleep?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. Did you ask for motivation to sleep?
rivka
Member # 4859

No. I try not to ask for the impossible. [Wink]

Update: Physics test now 98% complete.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cool. I asked you a question by e-mail; if you want a break, feel free to answer, but no pressure to answer if you're working. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and that company looks pretty cool. What are you interviewing for?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, and that company looks pretty cool. What are you interviewing for?

Yeah, it does. But if they cancel the interview at the last minute (as they did two months ago), I'm outta there. [Razz] They're hiring teachers to record stuff (like the samples) for other textbooks. It would be supplemental to my other job(s), not instead of.

Physics test is now 99% complete, and I realized that the piece I need (the extra credit reading I assigned them) is at school.

So I'm heading over there for a while.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Four days to go!

Today's topic: Check Your E-mail

I sent out an important e-mail to the following people:

Boon
Farmgirl
Jim-me
risuena
Lurker-Girl
rivka
katharina
Coccinelle

I don't have Fishtail's e-mail.

I feel like I missed someone, but I can't spot who it is.
If you are planning on attending and did not get this e-mail, please e-mail me at ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net to get it. [Smile]

[ May 23, 2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just keepin' it up. Rivka, I hope you're working!
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be really fun! I am looking forward to being able to put names with faces (well, at least screen names).
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed. Updated list:

• Write physics final (completed, xeroxed, distributed and collected -- I'll grade it some other week).
  • Write chemistry test (5% done).
  • Write biology test (5% done).
  • Write gen sci test (deadline: Wednesday).
  • Get at least somewhat caught up on my grading (Some progress made, but need to make more).
  • Update my resume for the interview I have Wednesday (not done yet)
  • go into the office for a few hours Sun evening (spent 3 hours there, was quite productive -- still have hours and hours of catchup, but it won't happen this week)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Too bad you don't have hours and hours of ketchup to do. We could help with that. [Razz]

You sure do cut it close. [Angst]

rivka
Member # 4859

Adrenalin junkie.

Two tests to finish (almost done) tonight. Then sleep . . . *yawn*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But hey, when you finish those, you'll be done with half the things on your list! [Party]

And in 3 1/2 days, you'll be stepping off the plane at DFW airport, and Ketchup Princess and KetchupPrinceConsort and I will be waiting for you! [Smile]

Which reminds me. Tomorrow I need to get with you on details about that. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, "almost" may have been an overstatement.

*props eyes open with toothpicks*

*goes fishing for more questions*

The internet-web-thingy is a wonderful thing. *yawn*

rivka
Member # 4859

Chem test done. *emails to self*
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll write your tests for you Rivka.

*grin

Y'know, I don't think it's fair that you all get to live near each other and I don't.

*hmmph*

I'll settle for re-looking at the Texas photos Katie sent me as my Hatrack christmas present. I'll be there in spirit!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*blearily* Too late. The only one left is gen sci, and I have most of the pieces of that -- it's mostly cut-n-paste.

Thanks, though. [Smile]

Boon
unregistered

All I have left to pack is my bathroom stuff. Everything else is in the van, ready to go. ::bounce::
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, you are excited! I never pack until the night before. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

3 days to go!
Today we discuss: Fun and Games

So, I'm planning on improv games; I love them, and they are so much fun! (I'm thinking Freeze, Questions Only, whatever you all like.) You could veto me, but what fun would that be?

Since card games are a Hatrack con tradition, we'll also want to play some of those, neh? We can bring Pit, Phase 10, Cranium... You all are welcome to bring whatever.

We can also bring a portable DVD player that'll hook to a tv, and some DVDs (you know, like Pirates of the Carribean, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Galaxy Quest...) You are welcome to bring any you want to share. In addition, someone had suggested a Bollywood flick or two; I'd be up for that. Maybe while we're out on Fri. we'll pick one up.

Any other suggestions?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

rivka -- I think my son wants you to teach him how to play Chrononauts (after I told him about it from our last gathering). You bringing it?

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think she is. [Smile]
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I get a possible head count on people wanting a full massage?
Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I could probably use some work on my neck and right shoulder...I dunno about a full massage though. And only if you really want to. [Smile]
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have offered if I didn't really want to. [Smile]

And I'm certainly willing to do piecework (for lack of a better term). [Big Grin]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

KPC and I are each up for a full massage, if you have time. [Big Grin]

You are awesome!

Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Yes, but will you still be saying that *after* I work on you? [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, heck yes. You understand "Ow!", right? [Razz]

I just finished preparing our "getting to know you" game. It will be awesome fun. We'll play it Friday night. [Big Grin]

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of wish I had known about this ahead of time. I go to college up in Richardson, but I'm home for the summer (meaning about 4 hours south). Oh well. I guess there's always next time (if there is a next time).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

KQ: Yep, but say it loudly, ok? Things tend to be muffled when you're face-down in a headrest. [Wink]

And um....yeah...did I say I was going to be there Friday night? <flees in terror of 'mingling' games> [Angst]

rivka
Member # 4859

Count me in for a full massage! [Smile]

I'm bringing both the original Chrononauts and Early American Chrononauts. By the time the weekend is over, you may never want to step into a time machine again. [Big Grin]

Can't find Fluxx, though. [Razz] I know it's around here SOMEwhere! [Wall Bash]

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in on a massage.

I guess I can expect a couple of new experiences at DallasCon - I've never had rhubarb (in any form) and I've never had a massage.

Now I just need to start thinking about what to pack (I'll do the actual packing Friday morning [Wink] )...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Four! Four new guinea pigs! Ah-ah-ah!

(Hmm--my Count laugh doesn't look right. [Frown] )

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could go, but Ron's grandmother (the one we like) is dying. [Frown]

The one who hates me, however, is out of the hospital and doing well.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I wish you could come, too, Olivia. [Frown]

quote:
And um....yeah...did I say I was going to be there Friday night? <flees in terror of 'mingling' games>
This one isn't a "mingling game". [Smile] It's played sitting in a circle, is almost entirely painless, and has food at the end. Good food. Junk food, in fact. [Big Grin]

quote:
I sort of wish I had known about this ahead of time. I go to college up in Richardson, but I'm home for the summer (meaning about 4 hours south). Oh well. I guess there's always next time (if there is a next time).
I don't know if there will be a next time or not. [Dont Know] On the other hand, I'm sure there are still hotel rooms, 4 hours isn't that long, and the hotel is only $44 a night + tax for a single... We'd love to count you in if you want to come and be instantly real! [Smile]
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Does said junk food include chocolate? [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.