FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon is here, like, TODAY! Can I get a w00t? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DallasCon is here, like, TODAY! Can I get a w00t?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lurker-girl -- are the massages limited to women only?

I personally can not stand to have anyone touch my back in any way, except my son (the son that I'm bringing with me). Ever since he was a boy, he has had the "magic hands" that relieve the tension in my back when I've had a bad day. But he has had no training or anything -- he just knows what I need to relax my muscles, and my brain trusts him enough to let him do it.

I'd like to return the favor to him -- by having him get a massage, because he's never had one, nor has any idea what a professional massage is like. On top of that, he threw his back out (kinda) yesterday while "sword-fighting" with his brother (with sticks -- the guy thing, you know). *teenagers*!!

He may not be willing to let you do it. But I thought I would ask.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Massages are not limited to women only (just ask Jim-Me--he was one of my first lab rats, lol). Maybe your son can give me some pointers! [Smile]

If he's willing to let me work on him, I'm willing to give him a massage; am I remembering correctly that he's a minor? (This won't really make a difference--we're just supposed to have permission from parents/guardians when we work on minors).

Edited to say that it may not be a good idea to work on him if his back is really out--I'll have to check on that.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, we will see when we get there. Yes, he's a minor (17). However, I always forget that since he's 6'4" and 250 pounds. I figure his back will really be better by Friday -- just overexertion.
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. [Smile]

Edited to add that if y'all have music you find particularly soothing, feel free to bring it.

[ May 25, 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Lurker-Girl ]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does said junk food include chocolate?
No, but it's good nonetheless. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

See, you *almost* had me wavering.... [Taunt]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 2 days left!!!

Today's topic: "...You belong in the zoo..."

So, was anyone interested in doing the zoo? Who? How many? When? I figure Sat. might be good; we'll probably have cake around 5:30 or 6, but it shouldn't be hard to get back by then, considering the zoo closes around then anyway. [Smile] The train station we're by is blue line; the zoo is on the red line after it splits, so there would be a transfer. The ride on the train, with transfers, would be between 46 minutes and 1 hour 7 minutes, depending on when you caught the transfer. (You can plan this in advance at dart.org.) Or there are other options: drive all the way to the zoo, drive to a red line station and take the train from there (that's not too far, but would really just be a waste of gas, since it would take about the same amount of time), or, you know, not go. [Wink]

Who wanted to go? What are you up for? Or would you just rather hang around and hang out? [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lurker-girl, if you want ElJay rhubarb pie, you have to come Friday. [Razz]

Will saying that it's macadamia nut candied popcorn make a difference?

Or we can bring chocolate just for you.

We want you to come! It will be fun!

Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

I wasn't saying I wouldn't show up on Friday--if I want to fit all the massages in, I pretty much have to. I was just talking about the 'getting to know you game'. [Razz]

Rhubarb pie and candied popcorn are quite a lure....and I'm used to carrying my own supply of chocolate with me. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Really, it's a painless game! You just have to sit there and raise your hand. Really! (Okay, it's a little more involved than that. But not much. [Big Grin] )
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
On the zoo note, Dallas Zoo has a commercial that gets stuck in my head everytime I see it. I keep humming the tune. As for coming up, it won't happen unfortunately. Driving is my least favorite thing to do, so 4 hour drives don't appeal to me (which is why I only get to see my family on extended school holidays, i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer). Oh well.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's raining. [Frown]

It'll clear up, though... I'm sure of it! (It always does, around here.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, drat.

Forecast says thunderstorms through Tue.

I hope Jim-me's flight doesn't get in trouble. Rivka, you should be fine, though you might have some turbulence.

But we may want to plan to stay in on Sat. Everyone remember to bring games and stuff.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Note to self: when re-reading this, remember to bring a bag of rhubarb to DallasCon so you can give it to Katie.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bump*
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Rain's okay. I'm coming to see the people, not the weather.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, but it would be fun to see the people at the zoo or go out for a walk, no?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

It is supposed to be beautiful, perfect weather all weekend here in Kansas.

Maybe we should move Dallascon to Kansas.... [Wink]

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*sings* ..walking in the rain and the snow, when there's no place to go.... /*sings*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, the weather forecast has turned less dire; scattered t-storms, but lots of sun and warm weather in between. (Warm as in 80 to 95.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And so, on to today's topic:

What to remember to pack for DallasCon

Sunscreen is a necessary if you burn at all; even if you don't usually, you might want to bring some just in case, because partial cloud cover, like we're supposed to have, and humidity, like we always do, can magnify burns.

On the same note, you probably will want either sunglasses or a brimmed hat or both.

Bring light clothing; it will be hot. But you might also want to bring an umbrella and a button-up shirt or very light sweater or sweatshirt in case it rains and the wind picks up and it feels chillier than it is at night or something.

Bring a swimsuit if there's a possiblity you will want to go swimming.

Bring food if you don't want to go out every meal, and maybe some basic cookware if you'll want it; there are kitchenettes in the rooms, and you'll have access to a fridge and sink and all that jazz. Or just bring the cookware, and you can pick food up in town. [Smile]

Bring things to do that are fun as a group: games, CDs, movies (we'll have a DVD player, I don't know if there will be VCRs), maybe something else. If anyone has Scrabble Deluxe and would like to bring it, you're welcome to, but no need to bring regular Scrabble, we have that. Also, if anyone has Fluxx, please bring it!

Bring your appetite for Indian food! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

If you're up for "freak the normals", you may want to bring a costume or fun to wear, weird clothes, but that's totally up to you. (I am always up for this!)

But most of all, bring yourself! [Smile] We're looking forward to seeing everyone! Yay! [Party]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and you might want to keep your e-mail with phone numbers and addresses handy, too. [Wink]

I am soooo excited! *jumps up and down*

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey - KQ -- your email with all the info gives the address to the hotel, etc. -- but what is the NAME of the hotel again? I can't remember, and I can't find the original booking thread...

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Studio 6. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*adds name to paper*

THANKS!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're entirely welcome. That's why I keep all this handy, after all. [Smile]

*goes back to making pie crust*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Pies are in the oven... Mmmm, rhubarb pie...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Must...
Not...
Eat...
Pies...

But they smell so good! 22 hours is too long to wait! [Cry]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings* Only one more day, m'darlin', one more day! Come rock and roll me over, one more day!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, do you realize that if all goes well, you'll be here in less than 16 hours? [Party]

("Here" meaning Dallas in general, that is. [Wink] )

rivka
Member # 4859

Really?! Yikes!

I have so much to do before then!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I have so much to do, too! Somehow I just can't bring myself to do any of it.

<--slacker

Anyway, can't wait to meet y'all tomorrow.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I can't either! And eat PIE! And get CAKE! [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

I have successfully run errands AND actually gotten -- and used -- the phone number for my non-Hatrack friend in Dallas. [Smile]

Yes, that means I arranged things at the last minute (although I guess I could have waited to call until I was actually IN Dallas) . . . it's been that kind of week.

>_<

I should pack . . .

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

About that: What are you going to be doing? Tomorrow or Sunday? [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Tomorrow, if possible.

They're moving on Tuesday, so Sunday wouldn't be so good . . . but tomorrow is fine.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It's today! It's today! Yay!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Because I'm too lazy to send email . . . [Wink]

kq, I have confirmed my flights with American, and they are from/to American gates.

My flight out is awfully crowded. >_<

Next: making a cab reservation. Then I might pack . . . [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Looked at the email again . . . it says something about terminal C. Does that help?
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* You can tell this cab company has picked me up before. I gave her my number, and she knew my address, name, and that I wanted to go to LAX (although how many places would someone BE going at (gah!) 5 am?).

[Big Grin]

*bounces*

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm stuck here at work until 11 AM -- but they I get off, get to dash home and load the truck and HEAD SOUTH!

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
They're moving on Tuesday, so Sunday wouldn't be so good . . . but tomorrow is fine.
Okay, we can make it work. I'm sure being dropped off and picked up will work for you, right? We might need to go back to let people into your hotel room. [Wink]

quote:
kq, I have confirmed my flights with American, and they are from/to American gates.

That actually helps more than Terminal C; many domestic flights come into terminal C, but the name of the airline helps a lot. [Smile]

Not that you're going to see this; you're gone already...

*turns to FG* w00t! [Big Grin] [Party]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

wOOt!

[The Wave]

(don't worry Kama -- I'm going to wear my KamaCon shirt sometime during the weekend, just in your honor...) [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And everyone who signed my t-shirt at WenchCon will not be forgotten; that's what Ems and I are wearing today. (Jeff is wearing red for higher visibility. [Wink] )

And last I heard, Rivka was planning on wearing her Annie skirt. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

When we arrive, I should be wearing my Farmgirl shirt (that I made for KamaCon so people would know who I am) and MAYBE Ivygirl will be wearing her Ivygirl shirt. She doesn't like it much, so she may not.

And everyone has a new challenge -- my son (who is currently not a Hatracker) wants your input on a suitable screenname for him if he were to join Hatrack in the future. You have to kind of get to know him first, then see what you think fits.

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. And should it have "boy" in it, or does he not want to be in the family? [Wink] (Says the woman whose family has matching screennames.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka's plane is in the air, as of 6:47 am PDT. Yay! Good thoughts for a safe flight for her.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to think of a way to simultaneously express my gladness / envy that another Hatrack gathering is occurring while pointing out that I was in on the ground floor in a witty fashion, but I can't.

So...

Darn you! / Yay!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

If anyone is still around, I'll offer a w00t (but every time I do, I think of the Aggies--LOL).

KQ, I'm getting off work earlier than I thought--do you have any idea when y'all will be at the hotel? [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.