FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enough RotS complaining; time for ANH complaining (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enough RotS complaining; time for ANH complaining
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
That is something that I have always wondered about, why Vader seemed to be under Tarkin. Of course, it could have been that in regard to the Death Star (which is where Tarkin exercised authority over Vader), Tarkin was in command. A matter of territories. You'll notice that when Tarkin tells Vader to release his force grip on the officer who had been disrespecting his power, Vader replies merely with an "As you wish," almost as if he was doing Tarkin a courtesy.

And then comes the aspect of what people's feelings toward the Jedi were. I mean it's only been 20 years. It's not that far gone. But if there was already fear and suspicion of the Jedi, then I can see the Emperor not wanting to advertise to the galaxy he was a Sith lord and that Vader was a Sith. I didn't see any indication that people outside his inner cabinet had any idea. So perhaps place Tarkin in charge of the Death Star was the Emperor's subterfuge. After all, he had finally dissolved the Senate, after 20 years of imperial rule. So he had had to walk carefully even then.

Of course, one has to wonder if Anakin would go along with it. But when he broke he became Palpatine's lapdog. He had nothing left to live for. He viewed life casually, meaninglessly, which is why he killed so casually and meaninglessly. What did he care? He would just follow the Emperor, who obviously was not a kind master. I'm sure the Emperor continued to psychologically abuse Anakin throughout the intervening years.

The Leia thing bothers me, too. I truly hope that the DVD adds a couple months or even a year between the birth of the twins and her death. It would have made her giving up of Luke very poignant and I think seeing her being very affectionate and sad with Leia would have worked. Small, not really contradicting the big screen version, and yet would get rid of the inconsistancy.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Leia says she just remembers images and feelings, since she was "quite young when she died" so...
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one of my rants for The Empire Strikes Back

Why did the rebel snowspeeders attack the walkers head on? This angle of attack allowed the Imperials to project the greatest amount of firepower possible on the rebel ships.

No one in Rogue Squadron thought to say: "Hey Luke! Why don't we swing around behind that ridge there and hit the walkers from the sides and the rear where they have NO WEAPONS!"

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no weapons that we knew of. Think about what kind of a weapon a robotic elephant might have from the rear and I think that pretty well answers your objection.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this isn't a complaint about ANH, but...

I liked it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Exploding Monkey:
Here's one of my rants for The Empire Strikes Back

I thought this thread was supposed to be complaints about "A New Hope." [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.