FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about Star Wars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question about Star Wars
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
If they were trying to hide Luke and Leia, why did Luke go around with the Skywalker name? Wouldn't that be a red flag to Darth Vader and his spies/minions?
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, how did Luke find out Leia was his sister? (It's been so long since I saw it, I can't remember.)
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with Luke. Why didn't he take the name of the people who adopted him, like leia did. As for how Luke discovered how Leia was his sister he did a DNA test. Actually the Force told him.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
1,000's of Skywalkers in the Galaxy.
Owen only had so much of a clue of what was really going on

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Luke already had the name of the people who adopted him. He was adopted by his aunt and uncle Skywalker. His uncle was Anakin's half brother, I believe.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoda and Obi Wan know about Leia, so that's how Luke found out.

To answer your question: Lucas is stupid?

Or maybe they wanted Luke to eventually be found. Maybe they knew that Darth Vader was going to discover him anyway (I don't remember him being surprised that Luke was his son--though you'd think he would be surprised with how ep III ended.)

Maybe they *didn't* want Leia to be found, though. She was the "secret weapon" and Luke was the full on assault. Luke was the distraction to keep Vader away from Leia.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, or KarlEd's answer makes a whole heckuvalotta sense.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Because Owen was the son of Anakin's mother. Owen's last name was Lars.
I think

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no. Owen's father was Cliegg Lars, making his son and daughter-in-law Owen and Beru Lars. Not Skywalker.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Uh, Luke already had the name of the people who adopted him. He was adopted by his aunt and uncle Skywalker. His uncle was Anakin's half brother, I believe.

They didn't have the Skywalker name. They were "Owen and Beru Lars", I believe.
beverly
Member # 6246

Carrie!!!! [/Luke]
Jay
Member # 5786

Wow... Carrie and I agree again. Sweet.
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, strike that theory. [Smile]

I guess you are left with the two I provided. [Big Grin]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, since his Uncle Owen was named Owen Lars, after his father.

I think it's simply that he thought the baby had died with Padme. Notice how she looked way more pregnant dead than she had when she was living?

Then, in ep IV, Vader comes in contact with Skywalker, and the opening crawl of EPV tells how he has become obsessed with finding Luke.

So he didn't know he had a living son, and when he found out, he went out of his way to find him.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

OB1 handed them a baby said it’s Anakin’s kid Luke. So Owen assumed the kid’s name was Skywalker. He obviously didn’t adopt him as his own since he had Luke call them aunt and uncle. Might not of thought much of Anakin after the whole thing with their mother.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

And how did Mark Hamill get so ugly? He started out cute in EP4, but he was ugly by the end of EP6.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Oh, and Owen introduces himself to Anakin in Ep II as "your stepbrother" which means he wasn't Shmi's son, either.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I stand corrected. However changing his name wouldn't have satisfied the spirit of the original objection. The family that took Luke in was family of Anakin's mother and was the same family that Anakin himself stayed with when he went on his "kill the sandpeople" rampage in episode II. If Darth Vader were really looking for his kid, he'd have been relatively easy to find. If I had to come up with a plausible explanation I'd say that Vader probably believed the children died within their mother and didn't realize Luke existed until he showed up on the Death Star in Episode IV. It wasn't until he (Luke) began being exposed to the ways of the force that he was able to cause enough of a ripple that Vader felt it and explored it enough to figure out who Luke really was. YMMV

[edit: Or what Olivetta said. [Wink] ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He was in a very bad accident - motorcycle, I think.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, Googleing is a Light Side skill.
They are the White Pages, not the Dark Pages.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

That makes sense. (KarlEd's explaination)
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Mark Hamil smashed his face in a car accident between Ep IV and ep V
Dagonee
Member # 5818

BTW, Karl's last post represents exactly what I always just assumed was the case. I never thought much about it because it made so much sense to me.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Ouch. Well, that explains it then. That's kinda sad.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I heard, Mark Hamill was in an accident between EpIV and V. So they jazzed up (or added) the Wampa monster scene to explain the scars. His face is not so smooth in Empire (V).

As for the Skywalker name, yeah, I chalk that up to GLs not quite thinking that one through.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think Obi-Wan wanted Vader obsessing about Luke once he was powerful enough to be noticed. And the name helped in that regard.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Realistically, it doesn't make any sense to have Luke keep his name. If he was supposed to be hiding, the simplest thing to do would be to change his last name to Lars and pretend that he was Owen and Beru's biological son. After all, Vader actually held Leia prisoner and had no idea who she was. If her name had been Leia Skywalker, he probably would have investigated the matter. So a simple name change may have offered Luke some protection. But it is just a movie, and doing that would have made things more confusing for the whole, "I am your father" revelation.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta:

He introduces himself as Luke's Half-Brother, not Step-Brother.

Everyone:

Can't we jsut own it all up to Lucas making a writing mistake? I'm sure he wasn't planning on making the prequels when he first started Ep V.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I watched the dang movie last night (kids are on a real Star Wars jag right now). I know what he said.

I re-played the scen on my dvd to be sure.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

You're mistaken, Little_Doctor. Owen is never introduced as Anakin's (I assume you mean Anakin and not Luke) half-brother. He was the son of Cliegg (sp?) Lars and his first wife. When Anakin returns to Tatooine in Eps. II, Owen says, "...I guess that makes you my step-brother.

If you want to talk about an actual screw-up, the Return of the Jedi novelization from 1983 says that Owen was Obi-wan's brother. Lucas has obviously decided not to stick with that.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Plus, ep II was ten years after ep I, so Owen was real big for nine-year-old. [Wink]

Yeah, i had heard about the Owen/Obi-Wan brother thing. That's just weird.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I remember hearing that he was related to Obi-Wan, and I wondered what happened to that.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What I'd like to know is why Obi-Wan says "Your father wanted you to have this" when he gives Luke the lightsabre in IV. I can't remember Anakin ever referring to that in the prequels.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

He's manipulating the truth. In a sense, assuming Anakin knew his son, he'd want him to follow in his footsteps, either when he was good or even as a Sith.

It's true, "from a certain point of view."

Interesting, that line, since chronologically, Palpatine is the source of that observation. Looks like Obi-Wan had broken out of the Jedi mindset by ROTJ and recognized the truth of that.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Another funny continuity slip-up is in the "A New Hope" novel, which was supposedly written by Lucas himself, but was actually ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster. It claims that Luke was 18 in ANH, while Leia is 16! Twins with different ages... Not to mention the fact that we now know that they were both 19 in ANH.

As for, "your father wanted you to have this". Do you think that Luke would have trusted him if he had said, "I took this from your father as I left him limb-less and burning to death"? Yeah, it's just manipulation. But Obi-wan probably figures that Anakin would have been proud to have his son carry his lightsaber if he had remained good.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I think he just said it. Maybe because Anikin would have wanted him to have it, even if Darth Vader didn't. (If that makes any sense.)
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Well, Old Ben is definitely a master of the careful omission and not a truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth kinda guy. It could have been more like "Your father would have wanted you to have this" If he hadn't gone all homicidal and evil and stuff. [Wink]
IanO
Member # 186

Plus, didn't Foster write the "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" novel that came between IV and V? I heard it had some squicky romance between Luke an Leia, much more than the kiss in V.

I guess the novelizations aren't worth much, expecially considering your other example of Obi-Wan's brother, Lars. There's also the part in ROTJ (novel) where Anakin, as he takes the mask off for Luke, remembers his wife. I think there were a few contradictions, there, at least by ommission.

That's what happens with an 19 year gap between trilogies. Understandable.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Yeah, Foster did write "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" I haven't read it, but I have heard that it has some Luke/Leia romance, and a Vader/Luke fight prior to ESB.

The novelizations aren't all bad though. In fact, they contain some of the earliest references to things which occur in the prequels. The prologue in ANH talks about Palpatine's rise to power and the corruption of the Republic. I think that the RotJ novel was the first place it was mentioned that Obi-wan and Anakin's duel took place over lava, and that Anakin received most of his injuries from burns. And Palpatine even mentions having known (or at least known of) Yoda, and asks Luke if he was the one who completed Luke's training.

IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, I do remember that, especially Palpatine's mention of Yoda. For a story that would expanded on (and somethimes contradicted) nearly two decades later it wasn't bad at all.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[ [Grumble] ]Proven wrong again![/ [Grumble] ]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
The ROTJ novel was how JaneX and I knew what was going to happen in that lava pit. We were clinging to each other and cringing during the whole scene.

We enjoyed reading the novelizations of Ep IV, V and VI, but the guy who wrote ROTJ was really in love with his own prose. He goes a bit overboard. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the simple explanation for Luke not changing his last name was that it was his last name first.

He was Skywalker before Vader was
I don't think Lucas knew that Vader was Luke's father until he was writing ep. VI. It was unfortunate, but when you don't fully explore the backstory of your characters, stuff like this happens. So Vader didn't have the same last name, until he did, and then it was too late to change it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah. I seem to remember that he tried to wax poetic when Vader's mask came off. Something about water on lips and fields of flowers. Was kind of bad. (Wow, I can't believe I remember that.)
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't really many satisfactory answers to these questions. Just 'Vader wouldn't come looking' doesn't really suffice-if they'd wanted Luke to remain hidden, would they have left that to chance? You don't hide by plopping down on your father's homeworld, near his hometown, with people he's spent time with, while still using his name.

The explanation given in the EU (which can be thrown out at Lucas's whim) is that possibly Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted Vader to come looking for his son. Especially when Luke was going to apply to the military Academy, did Obi-Wan and Yoda imagine that name would go unnoticed?

If, however, Vader's spies and agents had noticed that name, he might have come looking entirely on his own, without the Emperor being involved at all. This is in fact close to what happened-Vader tried to seduce Luke to the Dark side and have them both betray Palpatine. In that situation, Obi-Wan could've confronted Vader again.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
El JT de Spang speaks the truth. During Episode IV vader was in fact not Luke's father. IIRC, the idea for this came from writer Lawrence Kasdan.
Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In 1977 would you have gone to see some silly space opera with a hero named "Luke Lars"?

That is assuming you are an old fogey like me who was alive in 1977.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Sources for that?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
<---Was present at the original showing of Star Wars. Was 4 years old. Did not know much of what was going on.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.