FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about Star Wars (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question about Star Wars
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool.

(I wasn't even born yet.)

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Little_Doctor. That came off a bit nasty, but that wasn't how I meant it.

I'm just getting paybacks for driving my mother crazy with Star Wars stuff when I was a kid.

Though, honestly, I don't think I deserve repeat veiwings of the prequels - that's just harsh.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think giving him the Skywalker name was intentional. If they had wanted to keep him hidden with just a name, Owen wouldn't have spent so much time holding him on Tatooine, he would have branded him a Lars and then let him do what he wanted without worrying.

That's why I think they place so much emphasis on holding Luke on Tatooine, against his wished to go out and adventure. I'm betting Obi-Wan and Owen were in communication behind the scenes for awhile, though not in the end. But I think it was intentional for many reasons. To give him a sense of pride in who he is. He isn't just some moisture farmer, his father was once a great starpilot and laaaaa.

If he had gotten to Obi-Wan's hut and Obi-Wan told Luke Lars that he was destined for something greater, he would have laughed him off and driven home, much as he did anyway. He needed that sense of knowing he was greater, and that some greater legacy awaited him.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 8107

- posted      Profile for Spaceman   Email Spaceman         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Raven: How many times. (I stopped counting at 54). It was a game when I was in middle school and high school...who could see it the most times. (I have some weekends where I was so nausiated with the movie I thought I'd throw up if I saw it again, but then I watched it again, just to rack up the count.)

Vader was too busy with his career (consolidating the empire, building a death star, learning the ways of the Sith) to have time for his kids.

here's a new question for you:

Obi-Wan: If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Later: use the force, Luke.

Luke fires the proton torpedos and they take a very sharp turn into the exhaust port. Does Obi-wan get credit for the assist? In other words, did Obi-Wan push the proton torpedos home?

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Luke Lars sounds so funny. I think it would make a cute alternate screen name.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not Luke Mars?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even think of a adequate reponse to that.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Think of the merchandising.

Luke Mars Bars!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, when is Luke's last name actually mentioned for the first time?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Vader ever know Luke's last name in ANH? And if Vader were looking for Luke, he would look under "Lars" right after not finding him under "Skywalker".

And it may be that Luke wanted to go by Skywalker once he got old enough to know the Lars' weren't his real parents. The Lars might have figured that if Vader didn't show up yet, it might be okay to let him go with it. And Skywalker might have been a pretty common name. Back then.

But I haven't seen Episode III. From the amount of Luke/Leia kissing in ESB, I'd say Leia being the sister was not decided until ROTJ was being written. I mean, she just kisses him to teach Solo in the beginning, but when they retrieve him from the cloud dump, she kisses him again.

I actually thought the closing visual of ESB, Luke with his arm around her and the two droids, reminded me of the wedding scene in Ep II. Lucas is a good director, even if he suffers from lack of boundaries.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm watching this now and when Luke tells Owen that R2 claims to be Obi Wans' property, Owen says Old Ben Kenobi is an old wizard who a) doesn't probably exist anymore and b) died about the same time as "your father". Luke says "he knew my father?"

There is a lot of interaction between Vader and Leia in this movie, and she seems to know him well, or his tricks.

Also Vader makes no notice of being at his home planet. It is a movie, and I haven't read the novelizations so who knows if he thinks anything of it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Given that the last information was the Ben Kenobi was dead, why is Luke glad to see him on waking from getting beat up by the sandpeople? "Am I dead?" would seem to be the appropriate question. I'll grant that maybe the legends of Ben Kenobi would have been the reason Luke recognized him. Oh, okay it looks like Luke was assuming Ben and Obi Wan were different. His regard for R2 is curious.

I also get the sense that Luke's dreams of his father were from Beru.

Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:

But I haven't seen Episode III. From the amount of Luke/Leia kissing in ESB, I'd say Leia being the sister was not decided until ROTJ was being written. I mean, she just kisses him to teach Solo in the beginning, but when they retrieve him from the cloud dump, she kisses him again.

It always seemed to me that she was kissing him on the cheek that time, not like a romantic kiss. Besides, by then she had already admitted that she loved Han, why would she cheat on him so quickly with Luke?

Edit: not that I'm saying you're wrong about them not deciding on it until ROTJ, that could very well be the case, but even assuming that, it doesn't make any sense within the context of the movie to have Leia fall in love with Luke.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
Given that the last information was the Ben Kenobi was dead, why is Luke glad to see him on waking from getting beat up by the sandpeople? "Am I dead?" would seem to be the appropriate question. I'll grant that maybe the legends of Ben Kenobi would have been the reason Luke recognized him. Oh, okay it looks like Luke was assuming Ben and Obi Wan were different. His regard for R2 is curious.

At that moment, Luke had no clue that Obi-Wan and Ben Kenobi were the same person. At the very best, he thought that perhaps they were releated in some way. He knew Ben was alive. It was just Obi-Wan he heard was "probably" dead.

I would also think that Vader probably doesn't think anything about being at his home planet. At the time of ANH, he's considering the Anakin part of him dead. Even if he did think something of being at Tatooine, he certainly wouldn't show it. Anakin doesn't start to reawaken until he meets Luke and realizes his child is alive.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

No, it's a kissy kiss. It may be that she's in the vicinity of his face and he kisses her. She takes off and he's still puckering. It's pretty funny. I also think one of the funniest scenes in ANH is when Luke and Solo are dressed as Storm troopers and they are waiting by the elevator. Luke bounces on his heels and Solo gives that "should we hold the door for you" gesture to some soldier passing by.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think the first time you hear his name is when he says "I'm Luke Skywalker I'm here to rescue you"

That's the first time I remember hearing it.

mothertree
Member # 4999

But he doesn't say that to Vader. If he did, that would be the funniest part of the movie. I think Obi wan mentions that his father was anakin skywalker.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the first time we ever hear the name Anakin Skywalker is in ROTJ, when Obi-Wan is explaining to Luke (on Dagobah, just after Yoda has passed) how what he told him about his father being killed by Darth Vader was "true, from a certain point of view".

And I caught another major contradiction (to go with the Leia- I remember my mother- one.)

Ben told Luke (just after he rescues Luke from the Sand People in IV) that his Uncle Owen 'didn't hold with his father's ideals. He thought he should have stayed home and not gotten involved.'

Actually, this line had led me to expect that in EpIII, we'd see Anakin on Tatooine, having been kicked out the order for marrying. After a number of years living there with Padme (in the vicinity of Owen) Obi-Wan would show up. The war is going badly and they need all the help they could get, even a former Jedi. So, after much soul searching, Anakin follows Obi-Wan on the 'damn fool crusade' and subsequent events eventually lead to a fall to the dark side. Or something like that, but taking into account Obi-Wan's statements.

Unless Obi-Wan is lying, which- considering that the truth is not even close to that account- not with any amount of 'massaging' the account- just doesn't add up.

I still like what EpIII did (especially Palpatine's seduction), but those two contradictions (partially understandable) bug me. Not huge (and he can fix the first in an extended DVD).

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Of COURSE Obi-Wan was lying: He was talking to Luke! Everyone lies to Luke. It's one of the major themes of the OT. The best part is when Luke's trying to leave Dagobah in ESB, Yoda and Obi-wan make a bunch of "predictions" about what will happen if he leaves, all of which are total BS.

After seeing ep 3, I realized there was a lot of lying to Anakin in the prequels, too. I now suspect that the name "Skywalker" actually translates as "Gullible Shmuck"

And just for the record, I love Star Wars. Of course there's plot holes. Of course there's bad acting. There always has been: It's Star Wars!

--Enigmatic
(wants a lightsaber)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

If you want to talk about an actual screw-up, the Return of the Jedi novelization from 1983 says that Owen was Obi-wan's brother. Lucas has obviously decided not to stick with that.

Well, half the fun in the SW fanverse is justifying every last screw-up Lucas made. In this case, Obi-Wan did say "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you." Or something like that. So, if Anakin and Owen are step brothers, then by some strech you could almost consider Obi-Wan to be Owen's brother, of a sort.

Maybe.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.