FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are Nascar drivers atheletes? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Nascar drivers atheletes?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or swimmers, or ice scaters, or gymnastics.

All of them are incredably fit and strong.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
kaioshin00: i <3 nascar
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what golfers do in the off season.

[ June 07, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Gymnasts have the most incredibly fit bodies. I've always been impressed by gymnastics.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be some consensus that there is a difference between "athlete" and "athletic," but the is no clear consensus on what is "sport."
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sport is anything that pits someone directly against someone else in a competition. Ping Pong is a sport.
Anything that pits someone's achievement against someone else's achievement is a game. Golf is a game.

To make golf a sport, there needs to be a well-padded person at the cup with a baseball bat, ready to defend.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Athletic" merely denotes someone who has trained physically for a competitive purpose. "Athelete" is a subjective description.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew me driving to work was a sport!
Now get out of my way! Move! Dang slow pokes…..

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Sport is anything that pits someone directly against someone else in a competition. Ping Pong is a sport.
Anything that pits someone's achievement against someone else's achievement is a game. Golf is a game.

To make golf a sport, there needs to be a well-padded person at the cup with a baseball bat, ready to defend.

But by that definition many video games are "sports", especially in this era of online play. Does that mean that chess counts as a sport as well?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Video games became a sport in the late 90s when Quake champions started getting paid for product endorsements. There! That's my new definition of athletes: You compete in something (sport, race, game, whatever you want to call it) and you get paid for product endorsements because of said competition. Nascar drivers are atheletes by this definition.

Oh, I suppose that should be "you or your peers can get paid for product endorsements." We can still count the less-popular competitors as athletes even if they haven't done their own endorsements yet.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary an athlete is "a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina".
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Note the dictionary does not specify to what degree any of those requirements must be met.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly defining athlete, athletic, game, and sport are hard.

Why should games and sports be two separate entities? Why can't they overlap?

For instance, traditional 'sports' like football, basketball, and baseball are also games in a sense.

But they don't HAVE to overlap -- like I wouldn't consider playing 'Mario' a sport.

The dictionary definition of 'athlete' earlier in this thread seemed pretty accurate, IMO.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
According to dictionary.com a sport is "an organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation". Normally in Nascar, if you want to find mutations, you have to look in the stands.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to stay out of this because most perspectives on whether someone is an athlete and what is a sport are subjective. I think that people are free to believe that NASCAR is boring, even though I find it exciting. It doesn't bother me (until I am berated for being a hick, which I'm not, or something else just as stupid). But I will get into this because I think they are athletes. Certainly not to the level of football, soccer, hockey, baseball, or basketball, but they are athletes, in my opinion. I agree with Chris Bridges:
quote:
They require endurance: they're in the car for hours, in 100+ degree heat, fighting their car every moment. They have to be hyper alert to everything going on around them and be ready at less than a second's notice, at all times, to react to changes in traffic at 180 mph speeds. I don't even want to know how they handle the 24-hour race.
It certainly requires years of finely tuned training, both mental and physical. I drove 46 miles in heavy traffic on the freeway today, in an automatic, without reaching 70 MPH. I felt drained, probably because of the mental focus I needed. Drivers go much faster, for much longer, in much hotter cars, and in manuals that can't be too easy to shift, especially when they do it 1000+ times a race. I can't do this. Athletes or not, drivers are real, tough professionals.

Jay, drop your insults and actually try racing something (I suggest Magic Mountain). There is a big difference between driving competitively and driving on the street. You might understand this if you try it.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the reason I don't like to consider NASCAR a sport is the huge impact their car makes. The greatest athlete will still be great regardless of the bat, cleats, ball, whatever he uses. Put a race car driver in a slightly substandard car and not only is he no longer the best, odds are he can no longer even compete.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
So...horseman are considered athletes in horsemanship competitions. They're even given medals for it, in the Olympics...so, why shouldn't competition drivers (not only NASCAR. F1 and other leagues too)?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so my first minor argument was weak. So what? However, as tired as I am of this argument, I stand by my drivers. Dodge Team One: Jeremy Mayfield and Kasey Kahne. I still wear my old Bill Elliott jacket. I support the event as a sport and do maintain that the drivers are athletes, although I will willingly let others disagree. Why? Because it is like a Harley Davidson. If I have to explain, you will never understand.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Driving of any competetive kind is a sport and the drivers are incredible athletes. That being said, I am not a NASCAR fan, rather I prefer Rally driving. But I have driven in races, I golf, I played competetive baseball and ice hockey too. Hockey was by far the most physically demanding, but golf is by far the toughest since it requires such precision. I have worked up a sweat playing all of these and have found myslef physically challenged by all of these.

I dare anyone to come out with me and play 18 holes and tell me that golfers are not athletes and that golf is not a sport. You walk 4-5 miles carrying 25 extra pounds on your back which is something many people couldn't do alone. But then to play a number of different shots under all kinds of circumstances, it is a challenge.

And the best part is, ALL OF THESE ARE FUN! [Big Grin]

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Stan The Man:
quote:
Ok, so my first minor argument was weak. So what? However, as tired as I am of this argument, I stand by my drivers. Dodge Team One: Jeremy Mayfield and Kasey Kahne. I still wear my old Bill Elliott jacket. I support the event as a sport and do maintain that the drivers are athletes, although I will willingly let others disagree. Why? Because it is like a Harley Davidson. If I have to explain, you will never understand.
That's how I see it. [Smile]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.