FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ich haben in mir hertz das urge to construct mein own sprachens words.
It should be habe, not haben. And "in mir hertz" should be "im meinem Herz".

[Razz]

Or what Jon Boy said...

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But you lose those points for having to ask.
Darn.

All I can say in German, bad spelling: Enschuldigensibitte, wo ist der dome?

(Excuse me please, where is the church?)

Chokalade Kuken

(Chocolate Cake)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Gedechtnichtkirchie! (Sp? I only heard it said.)

Think of it this way: the core word is "dobie"; add to that the prefix "en" such as enforce, enrage, empower; add to that the adverb form and get "endobily". It means "in a way of becoming a dobie but not at own (i.e., thread's) choice".

JH

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think when you make up words, other people have to get it. [Smile] Like potlucky, my own illustrious creation. Everyone gets potlucky at one time or another.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Except that en- turns a noun or adjective into a verb, but -ly turns an adjective into an adverb. You're combining affixes that don't work together.

I hate to say it, Jonathan, but you're making me wonder about this whole training-you-to-be-my-apprentice thing.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Empotluckability?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Stop. >_<
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating read, JB. I had heard of Dvorak, though not much more beyond that. Now I get to be a smartass whenever someone brings up the Dvorak keyboard again.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
I hate to say it, Jonathan, but you're making me wonder about this whole training-you-to-be-my-apprentice thing.
Hey! I'm bilingual! So what if my conditionals aren't FLAWLESS? You cannot expect me to be you!
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Hey! I'm bilingual! So what if my conditionals aren't FLAWLESS? You cannot expect me to be you!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The Secret Fraternal Order of Linguists does not accept flawed applicants. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it just isn't going to work out.

*sticks papers back in briefcase and snaps it shut*

*smiles tightly and turns to leave*

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

*Shoots.*

See, I at least punctuate my "*...*"s and I use capitals in them.

*Takes over the SFOL and fires Jon Boy.*

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
If you want to be a language nazi...
Nazi needs to be capitalised, it's a name.

quote:
The Secret Fraternal Order of Linguists does not accept flawed applicants.
Fwahaha.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You use capitals in your ellipses? How does that work?

Oh, and it's a fraternal order. You can't fire me from it.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:
quote:
If you want to be a language nazi...
Nazi needs to be capitalised, it's a name.
Check a dictionary.

Also, your comma splice is showing.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Then fire yourself.

I punctuate it just as if it were quotes, in the method I chose to accept.

And "*...*" are not ellipses. When I write "*thinking*" I do not mean "...thinking...", I mean an action. The fact that you enclose it somehow gives it the right to be punctuated properly.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You could try using words instead of an agglomeration of typographical characters. I thought you were referring to the ellipsis points and not the asterisks.

I say "Ha!" to your willy-nilly punctuation rules.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I do not accept Webster Dictionary. The fact that you Americans take liberty does not mean I lower myself to your standards.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I say "Ha!" to your willy-nilly punctuation rules.

quote:
I said to him "get lost."
Who ever heard of such crap?! And since when can you spell "practice" (the NOUN) with an "s"?! You people are pathetic sometimes.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Dude, stop being such a jerk and a snob.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I'm sorry. I can't hel. . . wait. You're not talking about me right now. Odd.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Hey, I didn't call you anything remotely associated with Nazism. *Thinks back to the days of the bitter fighting with AntiCool over the subject.*

Not that it is justification - but the weak spot was shown.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see a battle of grammer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I didn't say that you did, Jonathan. I'm referring to your obsessive and ignorant prejudice against American English despite your claims of being such a language guru.

Porter: To the death?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see John vs. John in a grammer battle.

edit: *nod*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Thinks back to the days of the bitter fighting with AntiCool over the subject.*
Isn't that a sentence fragment?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Porter: Only if you promise to spell my name right.

RRR: "Sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment. Oh, wait.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
I want to see a battle of grammer.
Bad memories of Dagonee vs me?

quote:
your claims of being such a language guru.
For the circumstances I'm in - yes. Other than that, I do my best of understanding. And yet, when reading American English it catches the eye differently, and it slows me down. I'm not blaming you for using it, as you wre taught it, rather I'm critical of the original notion.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*adjusts JB's sarcastometer*
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

*Twiches.*
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*adjusts Pohrtehr's name*

Jonathan: See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. There is nothing inherently wrong with American English and nothing inherently right with British English. They're simply different.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ich haben in mir hertz das urge to construct mein own sprachens words."
Ich habe den Drang in meinem Hertz, um meine eigene Sprachwoerte aufzubauen.

"Enschuldigensibitte, wo ist der dome?"
Entschuldigung, bitte, wo ist der Dom?

"Chokalade Kuken"
Schokoladenkuchen -Germans don't believe in having two words when you can ram them togeather and make one. [Smile]

"Gedechtnichtkirchie!", Haloed?
I have no idea what you're shooting for. Maybe Gedaechtniskirche, which would be a church that's kept around for memory's sake. I think some of the cities in Germany have old, bombed-out churches that they refer to as Gedaechtniskirchen.

For further German butchering: http://dict.leo.org/?lang=en&lp=ende&search=

Please continue, this is getting interesting to watch.

~your friendly German Spelling Nazi

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Oh, so now my heated criticism won't go? *Bangs on wall, crashes building down.* Fine, I'm sorry.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Thanks, Jhai.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Secret Fraternal Order of Linguists"

I applied to the order. I saw my application on the net 3 months, attached to an article titled: "Grammar Nazi's Have a Gas, Die Laughing"

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Except that we didn't use an apostrophe in "Nazis."
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Going to sleep! Night!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean 'we'? You guys died laughing. Quite literally.

It's a shame. A perfectly good joke ruined by bad grammar and explanation.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I am stepping in and imposing a temporary word ban here. No one in this thread will be permitted to use the word Nazi, or any derivation thereof, for the next 231 posts.

Thank you.

The Tired Cliché Prevention Society

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You . . . you . . . McCarthyist! [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Be careful, son. That one's next on the list.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
RED!

(I was looking for something good to post on for 14000 . . . and then I forgot. *sigh*)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, are we shouting colors now? GREEN! ORANGE! PINK! BLUE! YELLOW! BROWN! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, BROWWWWWN!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

What about a tender scalet background with vermillion stipes and saffron spots?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that scalet is much too fishy a color. I prefer scarlet.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Granny Smith Green
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Random color shouting?

Um, ok . . . except for the fact that Annie has red hair, and it went with the McCarthyist comment . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Annie has red hair?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka has beautiful hair. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Annie has red hair?

At least one or two.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.