FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. It would never occur to me to use that term unless I was referring to shipping something using FedEx. Does anyone here use that term in a generic way?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
The new Scrabble dictionary defines it as "to send by Federal Express." I have heard it used in a more generic way once or twice, meaning, I suppose, something more like sending a package overnight. "Drat, my sister's birthday is Tuesday! I better go find something and fedex it by tonight!" But it isn't really clear that that is a generic usage. So I dunno.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'd be cool to be a lexicographer.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

Me, too.

Oh, and on my dream list of things to buy eventually? The OED. I want to be able to leaf through it, on the floor on my stomach maybe -- not on CD, not on-line... page by page, just filling my mind with the words.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I have a compact OED. It's the crowning jewel in my small book collection. And get this: I got it for free from work when we were cleaning out the office. They were going to donate it to a thrift store!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

I am very jealous! [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the book-form OED have entymology in it?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yup. Entymology is just one of the hundreds of thousands of words available in the Oxford English Dictionary.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*

*chokes*

*dies*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me that it doesn't have gullible.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
I am very jealous! [Smile]

Unfortunately, I don't use it as much as I should. First off, it's an enormous book. Second, you need a magnifying glass to read it—literally. Good thing it came with one, though. [Smile]
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*laughs*

*chokes*

*dies*

*Cheers.*
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*thumps Jonathan on the head with a compact OED*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

*that horribly sad-looking smily with the tears in its eyes*

I walked right into that one, didn't I?

But my question still stands: Does the book version of the OED contain the entymology of words?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Etymology. [Smile]

But yes, it does. That was the feature that set the OED apart back when they first started the project. The CD-ROM and website have simply carried that over.

Sharpie
Member # 482

I've looked at the compact one (for the life of me, I can't remember where) and really liked the look of it, magnifying glass and all. It's probably not a surprise that I have a shelf full of dictionaries already.

Tonight I played Scrabble (of course) with one of the guys who has been a major contributor to the Scrabble dictionary projects over the years. He told me before the game that although he wasn't as active in it this time around, he was responsible for adding several words to the current version, including "soulmate". I swear I felt a tingle talking to him.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the "Short Oxford English Dictionary" from 1959; it's STILL heavier than Webster's Lexicon whatsies that my father got in 1988.
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

When's the Third Edition of the OED coming out, by the way?
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Yup. Entymology is just one of the hundreds of thousands of words available in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Actually, no. It has it under the entomology spelling variant.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, HS, having it under something is the veritable definition of it being in there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, he got me!

Jonathan: 1
Jonathon: 100

Teshi
Member # 5024

*makes note of two different words, one about insects one about words* [Blushing]

Anyway the E-T-Y-M-O-L-O-G-Y is the bit I really like [Smile] .

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth Teshi, I had to mentally stop and make sure that I was using the right word with those two for *years* before I finally stopped having a problem with saying the one in place of the other.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:
When's the Third Edition of the OED coming out, by the way?

Well, they started it in 1990, and they're all the way to Paul right now. Maybe in another decade or so.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the correct form "entOmology"?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I thought so too, but just Google (the verb, correct or not) a string containing "entymology" and see what appears.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Why in the world would the verb "google" be incorrect?
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I don't know, I'm taking the safe road.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The road of linguistic ignorance, you mean! Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Teshi
Member # 5024

You should know you must always take the narrow straight path rather than the wide crooked one.

</theology>

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I should not be listening to you.

[/wisdom]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I feel you've been taking some rat poison with drug spicing.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. Those are all English words, and the syntax seems good, but for the life of me I can't figure out what you're saying.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

That's because you've been taking some rat poison with drug spicing.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

My trouble with the English language?!

*almost dies laughing*

*thumps JH on the head with the compact OED again*

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

*Thumps Jon Boy over the head with a shelf upon which the 32-volume edition of the [i]Encyclopædia Britannica lies bound and removed the words "almost" and "laughing" from Jon Boy's previous post.*

*Reports post for threat of violence* (not serious).

JH

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. This thread title is disappointing. I was hoping to catch my husband slipping up in some way with the English language just so I could tease him about it, and I come in here to find he's perfect as usual. [Kiss]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

*Reminds Jon Boy that "bind" is a strong verb and therefore it's form in the past-simple tense is "bound".*

His problem is comprehension.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
*Thumps Jon Boy over the head with a shelf upon which the 32-volume edition of the [i]Encyclopædia Britannica lies bound and removed the words "almost" and "laughing" from Jon Boy's previous post.*

There's that pesky nonparallelism again. So sad.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
*Reminds Jon Boy that "bind" is a strong verb and therefore it's form in the past-simle tense is "bound".*

His problem is comprehension.

*reminds JH that if you want to be possessive, it's just I-T-S, but if it's supposed to be a contraction, then it's I-T-apostrophe-S*

So, um, where exactly did I use an incorrect form of the bind? Or were you just trying to lecture me in a subject that I already know about?

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

*Alerts Jon Boy that "s" and "d" are very close on the QWERTY keyboard and it's a typo.*

*Reminds Jon Boy that strictly speaking - the possessive form is apostrophe-s, and therefore "its" should be "it's".*

I was - again - "just checking". One day I'll catch you again regarding one of your imperfect mistakes. We're all human.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
So it should be her's and hi's too?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

No, because those are Viking structures, not Latin.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
*Reminds Jon Boy that strictly speaking - the possessive form is apostrophe-s, and therefore "its" should be "it's".*

The possessive form of regular nouns is apostrophe-s. The possessive forms of pronouns are not the same thing. I remember explaining this once, but maybe you weren't listening. [Wink]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:

Neither of those are Viking in origin, nor are they Latin. They're good old-fashioned English, just like its, and thus they follow English rules.

Also note that the apostrophe-s ending is also not Latin.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*reminds JH that if you want to be possessive, it's just I-T-S, but if it's supposed to be a contraction, then it's I-T-apostrophe-S*
Scallawag.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

quote:
Not quite. They're all English, but the neuter possessive pronoun (his) began to be confused with the masculine possessive pronoun. For a while people tried different things (still using his, using thereof to avoid the issue altogether, using of it, etc.), and eventually the construction its won popularity because it declined like the other possessive pronouns.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I was, but you were not referring to "its". And the reason for some pronoun differences - so I've been told by my father (a linguist who studied and studies Latin, German, Italian, French, Gaelic and ancient Norse) - is because of Viking influence. He's sleeping now, though.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.