FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The All-Round Thread; Currently: Bribing Tom Davidson
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's possible.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm glad you think it's red. I spend much of my time trying to convince myself that it is. It's a very dark red.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*coughbrowncough*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to go with self-description. Anyway, I think it's a similar color to mine (or what mine was, back in the days it saw the sun) -- brown with significant red highlights.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just about every imaginable color of hair on my head, from blonde to brown (light and dark) to red to black.

I guess it matches my eyes. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchie, you know that a blend of all colours ends up white, right?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
And I repeat:

quote:
What about a tender scalet background with vermillion stipes and saffron spots?
It's imaginable.

(Heck, is this another hair thread where I will be tried for Freudian motives?)

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most people do describe my hair color as "dark blonde" or "light brown". So something of the sort. Of course, you're talking light, and technically, hair color is pigment. A blend of all pigment colors ends up black (if you're lucky.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

JH, two things. One, as Jonathon mentioned earlier, your harping on British spelling is both annoying and ridiculous.

Second, as hair contains pigments, a blend of all colors will most certainly not make white. (Darn it, kq! [Razz] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
as hair contains pigments, a blend of all colors will most certainly not make white.
Unless you spin it all very fast.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

... In which case you get hair like OSC's!
rivka
Member # 4859

How will spinning it help? Unless it makes you dizzy and you black out . . . nope, still black. [Wink]
Annie
Member # 295

I like my hair just the couleur it is, thank you very much.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

"Coulour" in Old French, if I'm correct.
quote:
Unless it makes you dizzy and you black out
Or white out!
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Die Farben in deiner Haare sind sehr schoen, wenn du spinnst!

(German speakers: Yeah, I know. *giggles*)

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*patiently* Two kinds of white out: to correct written mistakes, and when snow-blinded.

Are we supposed to coat you in correction fluid or snow?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

JH: What exactly does Old French have to do with anything? Other than trying to show off, that is.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Wow, rivka's kinky. *adores from afar*
Annie
Member # 295

Don't mean to seem presumptuous, Monsieur Silhouette, but I'm not gonna take your language expertise seriously for a while. If'n you don't mind.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And anyway, color is the original Latin (and Old French) spelling. Colour and coulour came later.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
quote:
What exactly does Old French have to do with anything? Other than trying to show off, that is.
What a chest of gems you people are! (*Self-mutter*: more like a mound of sulphur.)

White out in the sense that you go crazy but have white flashes in your eyes. I speak from EXPERIENCE.
Since I checked it out in the [i]American[/quote] Heritage Dictionary, it's a sign of pluralism.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You scorn Merriam-Webster's, but you're okay with American Heritage? Ha!
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Colour and coulour came later.
"Χρομος" came before that, so we should spell it "chromos"/"xpouos".
And צֶבַע came even before that, so we should all say and write "ṣeṿaʔ".

rivka
Member # 4859

[Roll Eyes]
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
You scorn Merriam-Webster's, but you're okay with American Heritage? Ha!
The best way of facing a phobia is by gradually getting over it; getting over something you hate is done at one point, just like the way my father quit smoking 25 cigs a day and a pipe twice a week.

Aside that, Webster is responsible for American spelling in the first place, AH is just the HERITAGE.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

older ≠ better

Anyway, those aren't even etymons of color. And if you transliterate the Greek into English, you get chromos, not xpouos. Just 'cause they look like Latin letters doesn't mean they are.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You obviously don't realize that many American spellings are variant British spellings. Also, American Heritage is a relatively new dictionary. Merriam-Webster's is far older and more reputable.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

But they all derive from the Mother tongue which preceded Proto-Semitic and Indo-European. And why are you justifying the phonetical changes some people made based on Latin spelling, which is not the reason the changes were made? It's all phonetical.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Merriam-Webster's is far older and more reputable.
quote:
older ≠ better
And I'm younger than you, too.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:
But they all derive from the Mother tongue which preceded Proto-Semitic and Indo-European.

So?
quote:
And why are you justifying the phonetical changes some people made based on Latin spelling, which is not the reason the changes were made? It's all phonetical. [/QB]
I don't know what phonetic changes you're talking about. Spelling follows pronunciation, not the other way around.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
quote:
Merriam-Webster's is far older and more reputable.
quote:
older ≠ better
And I'm younger than you, too.
And older word-form is not a better word-form. And older dictionary, on the other hand, is probably a better dictionary. Context, my friend. And yes, I'm very much aware that you're younger than me. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I use the Oxford English Dictionary, although I don't get access except when I'm at University [Frown] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Luckily, I can still access it from anywhere, but I imagine that I'll lose access pretty soon, now that I've graduated.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Context, my friend.
I know, but it was still worth it!
quote:
Spelling follows pronunciation, not the other way around.
Which is what I meant and yet I have no idea why I wrote it the other way round.
quote:
So?
Which is what I meant; don't base your spelling on Latin, since that is not how it came to be in this case.
quote:
And older word-form is not a better word-form.
So don't use Latin "color".
quote:
And older dictionary, on the other hand, is probably a better dictionary.
Is Webster older than Oxford?
quote:
I'm very much aware that you're younger than me.
Then the argument-odds are in your favour.
Annie
Member # 295

I'm gonna give you a little advice here, Jonny H.

Do not go up against Jon Boy in a grammar war when death is on the line.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I was being facetious with the Latin thing; I was just one-upping your Old French comment. Color represents the actual pronunciation slightly better than colour does, though.
quote:
Is Webster older than Oxford?
Yup. Webster's dictionary goes back to the 1820s, I think, while the OED wasn't finished until a full century later.

Here, why don't you read a little about your nemesis?

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
I'm gonna give you a little advice here, Jonny H.
Thank you! I feel hopeless these days.

[quote] Do not go up against Jon Boy in a grammar war when death is on the line. [quote]
You don't fight - you don't win. Learn the Hard Way, and always have your English teaching father to back you up in technical language. I am JB's fired apprentice, so I am free to do whatever I want.

But thanks! If I die, my will is all dedicated to you, since you were the one who almost saved me.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
your Old French comment.
Which followed Annie's modern French comment... Oh, right!
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
great man
Bias!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

[Roll Eyes]

Dude, chill.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Aha! You can't handle the truth! (Or does that belong on this thread...?)

In any case, add the "y" to chill, and get my status. I knew Webster was 19th century, but I thought Oxford was 19th too.

Ah, whatever, there were older dictionaries, older than Oxford! Older than Webster! And they were English, by the way.

JH

[ June 23, 2005, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Haloed Silhouette ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The OED was started a couple decades after Webster's was finished, and it took about eighty years to finish it. The first good English dictionary was Samuel Johnson's in 1755. There were others before that, but they weren't very comprehensive.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

But Oxford is still the biggest, most extensive, and having the oldest-looking print.
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Declaration: A Dead Thread.

[ June 23, 2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Haloed Silhouette ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
But Oxford is still the biggest, most extensive, and having the oldest-looking print.

Ack! Non-parallelism!

*dies*

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yeah, that was a bit like fingernails on a chalkboard for me too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
*dies*
*Cheers.*
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
*dies*
*Cheers.*
[Razz] How sweet.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ha ha. Hoping for an easy win, eh?
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
A Scrabble list I'm on is a little riled about this: The lexicographers for Random House Webster's College Dictionary have determined that "to fedex" (lowercase) has become widespread enough in its use to justify an entry in their dictionary. (This is why "fedex" has been added to the new Scrabble dictionary, along with other fun stuff like "grok" and "meme".)
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.