FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cocktail Party Questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cocktail Party Questions
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Among Harry Potter readers it's cool to ask people what their patronus animal would be.
Mine would TOTALLY be a huge dog! No other thing it could be.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Sopwith, I prefer to tell people that I'm a dad. That's how I identify myself and it is definitely my most important profession.

However, i also say I'm a writer, or a marketing writer, or a copywriter. That is always followed by the "Oh, what do you write?" to which I usually respond "Anything that needs to be written" which is a fair assessment of my job duties.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to just say that I don't work. Depending on my mood and the crowd, I sometimes said that I'm the CEO of the Marx family. Now I just say that I'm expecting a baby.

It's funny how different people react. I usually get more approval when I say that I don't work or that I'm a homemaker, than when I was the VP of a company. However, there are some people (mainly academics) who sneer when I say homemaker.

I'm at a point in my life where I couldn't care less what most people think of me, so I don't get upset. Also, I'm much happier as an expectant mother than I ever was as a VP.

imogen, I completely agree about stay-at-home dads. Andrew has decided to freelance this year so that he can be home with me during the pregnancy and then be able to spend time with the baby. Even though he's making a lot more money than he did teaching, some people are snide and unsupportive.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Lesseee.....

I'm a (mostly) single mother of two adorable little girls who loves to read and cross stitch, and I pay the bills by working as a legal secretary specializing in real estate and probate matters.

Oh, and my patronus is totally a unicorn. LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually answer with the vague "I'm an electrical engineer".

If the questioner persists, I follow with a job description containing words that Edison couldn't decipher and when they glaze over, I know I'm done.

I hate talking about my job. I has so little to do with who I am.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite questions and answers:

"What's your name?"
"Jonathon."
"Jon? Nice to me you."

"What do you do?"
"I'm an editor."
"Well, I ain't got no good grammar!" *nervous laugh*

I swear, I hear that one (or slight variations) all the freaking time. Are that many people really that insecure about their speech?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I also get tons of people obliterating my name:

"Hi, I'm JT."

"JC?"

"J-teeeee."

"JZ?"

"Nevermind."

It's only two letters, and I carefully enunciate when I'm introduced.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
When someone asks me: "and what do you do?" I reply:

As little as possible and get paid for it.

As for an opening line at a party try: "what's your claim to fame?"

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
Hey kojabu, I'm over enjoying a delightful salad in the Duffield atrium if you're in the area. Though I'll have to take off in about 10 minutes.

And I think one of my bridesmaids' father runs your department. [Wink]

Too bad I didn't read that until just now, I'm generally on campus from 10 until 3 at which point I walk home in the blithering heat.

Which department, CRP or Religious Studies (the CRP one could only be the chair as the director for undergrads is a woman)?

[ June 28, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: kojabu ]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"How's your world?" is great! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
CRP, I think.

I'm not usually on campus much right now, my job is way out past the airport, but I couldn't resist stopping by the new building on a free morning. It was nice. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Ahh. That would be Rearden.

Yea it's a pretty nice building. How long have you been in Ithaca?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Ha, long enough that the CRP department has changed hands, I guess! The guy I was thinking of is Forester. [Smile]

I graduated 2 years ago, so.... 6 years? Enough that I've about had my fill of "weather" and "seasons", and am starting to think about nice temperate California again... [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh dude, that's my advisor!

The turnover rate for the Chair of the Dept and the director of Undergrads is pretty high actually, due to sabaticals, professors going to Rome, etc.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are that many people really that insecure about their speech?
Yes.

You could say, "I'm an editor, currently off duty."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Heh, cool! Well, I don't know him all that well, so you don't need to mention me should the thought cross your mind, but it sure is a small world, eh? [Smile]

Maybe I'll catch you around town some time!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.