FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who would you have voice Aslan in the "Narnia" films? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who would you have voice Aslan in the "Narnia" films?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The latest rumors from usually reliable sources indicate that Liam Neeson and Russell Crowe are being considered for the part.

I've also heard Sean Bean mentioned as being on the "short list", as well as the ever popular "unknown actor".

Who would you cast, if you had the choice?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with "unknown actor". He's done such great work in the past. Unless I am confusing him with someone else...
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Unknown Actor" is usually confused with his cousins "Anonymous" and "Uncredited".
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how close they're cutting the voice work. . . the film is supposed to come out in Dec, for crying out loud.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Aslan has too many lines. So it shouldn't take too long

If he hadn't been Darth Vader I would go with James Earl Jones.

Patrick Steward does a lot of voice work, He would be good.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Well, they did originally have Brian Cox cast much earlier in the process....but his voice quality changed before they finished recording his lines.

They have more than a hundred and fifty days of post-production left. That should be enough time.

Aslan doesn't turn up until near the end of the film's second "act"...so there won't be as much work to do.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
James Earl Jones was also Simba's dad in The Lion King, and for that reason I think he shouldn't be Aslan.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the guy from the Aflak commercials?

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
LIAM NEESON!

Seriously, the man has a great voice. You don't usually notice because you get distracted by the over two yards of fine actor that comes along with it. But the voice is fabulous. Deep, comforting and gentle at times but also rumbling and godlike at others.

He read The Polar Express for an audio book, and I have the IMAX Everest movie, which he narrated.

Sean Bean wouldn't be bad either, but his voice isn't as striking as Neeson's.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you seen 24 on Fox, the voice of President David Palmer is very reassuring (he also does the latest bout of Allstate commercials). I don't know if he'd be a good Aslan, though, but I love his voice, so I thought I'd throw him into the mix...Dennis Haysbert.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
James Earl Jones!!! He's already played a lion once (Lion King), and you know that you're dying to hear him say "Diggory, The White Queen did not kill your father! I am your father!"
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Um, no. [Razz]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Deffinitely Liam Neeson, he needs to be known as someone other than Quigonn Jinn. [Razz] Because he's too good of an actor. [Smile]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Liam Neeson would be good, as long as Aslan stays away from midochlorians...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unicornwhisperer:
Deffinitely Liam Neeson, he needs to be known as someone other than Quigonn Jinn. [Razz] Because he's too good of an actor. [Smile]

He's done a lot-- he was Schindler in Schindler's List and Val Jean in one of the many Les Miserables movies, and was also in Love Actually (a great movie if you can find it edited). And he's slated to be Abraham Lincoln in an upcoming (like 2007) Spielberg movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000553/

Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I know he's done a lot, but like James Earl Jones has always been known as "The Voice of Darth Vader" Liam Neeson may always be known as Qui goon Jinn.... but something tells me he won't be cursed with that. [Razz]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I got Kinsey from my Netflix queue, but I've had it for weeks now hoping for someone to watch it with me. Ron isn't interested. *sigh*

Rob Roy was also very good. Esp the last scene with him hacking away with a... is it called a Claymore? A really, really huge sword.

He was in the first five miinutes of The Gangs of New York as Priest Vallon, father to Leo what-is-face. That was the only five minutes of the movie worth seeing, but he was good in it.

He was also in Gun Shy, but that sucked. Except for maybe the bit with him being thrown mostly naked over a table full of watermelon. No, actually, that scene sucked, too, but the image lives on in my brain.

Anyway, he's been in a lot of stuff, and deserves to be better thought of than as Qui-Gon Jinn (even though he was the only person in that film that made it bearable to watch - and this coming from a die-hard Ewan McGregor fan - no one else (except maybe Shmi) in that film seemed remotely human).

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Liam also does a fine bit of work in the latest batman... and he'd be an excellent choice for Aslan's voice...

it needs to be able to sound young and vibrant, and his can... that's an important point.

Sean Bean is a criminally under used actor. Patrick Stewart can certainly sound commanding enough...

all good choices...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

"Liam Neeson may always be known as Qui goon Jinn...."

I deffinitely misspelled that... but it makes sence doesn't it? Qui Goon Jinn. Ha ha ha ha ha! ...OK I feel as if I'm the only one laughing at that...

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. I vote for Sean Bean. [Smile]

It's funny, I just watched Legend yesterday and I was so impressed at how beautiful and fantastic Tim Curry's voice was for the Lord of Darkness. I think he could do it too.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Yeah, Tim Curry is another phenominally gifted voice actor best known for his live-action roles. Especially the ones where make-up is involved...

Great. Now I can't get that SONG out of my head!

ill malkier
Member # 8244

Tim Curry's mostly ever done the bad guys in a movie, though... I dunno if I could hear his voice as Aslan with the image of Lord of Darkness in my head.... [Wall Bash] Out darn spot, out!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Darn it!

Now I can't either.

Curry is good.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

*mumble, mumble, mutter, humm... TransylVANIAAAAA*

*Licks lips*

*resists sudden urge to apply super-oil-slick lip gloss*

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Don't make me picture Aslan wearing...no...*....NOOOOO!!!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Tim Curry? Seriously? I don't want to hear the butler from Clue every time Aslan speaks.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*heaven grant me patience*

He wouldn't do the SAME voice that he's known for as the Lord of Darkness or the muppet pirate or the butler from clue!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

MUAHAHAHA!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Tim Curry can do many different voices. Though it is true he usually does villainous/morally ambiguous characters.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Did you see Oscar? [Smile] He was so funny in that.

"You have a dangling participle."

ill malkier
Member # 8244

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
*heaven grant me patience*

He wouldn't do the SAME voice that he's known for as the Lord of Darkness or the muppet pirate or the butler from clue!!

What? You mean Tim Curry is a talented voice actor? I had no idea! [Wink]

Yeah, I know he can do a lot more than that, but still, I just can't imagine him making a good Aslan.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I think I'm leaning towards Neeson. He just sounds so warm, rich and..."not tame". Heh.
ill malkier
Member # 8244

Tim Curry = Aslan... uh no.

Check out his next production....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000347/

The Chosen One (2005) (post-production) (voice) .... Lucifer

hmmmmmm...... The voice of Lucifer AND Aslan..... ??????? [Evil Laugh]

[Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [No No] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

(and wasn't Aslan a metaphor for Christ?)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Not quite a metaphor. Lewis called Aslan a "supposal".

"Suppose there was a world of Talking Beasts, magic, and mythical nature gods. What form would the Savior use when visiting such a world?"

Or words to that effect.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Liam's voice is great, but it's just not...deep enough for me. I suppose James Earl Jones has spoiled me.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
James Earl Jones was also Simba's dad in The Lion King, and for that reason I think he shouldn't be Aslan.
Lucy.. remember who you are.

hee hee hee

I think I'll vote for Rowan Atkinson. No! Tom Hanks!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
[QUOTE]
I think I'll vote for Rowan Atkinson. No! Tom Hanks!

Mr. Bean as Aslan [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Liam's voice ISN'T deep enough? Wow.

Then I suggest CT's hubby. [Wink] His voicemail message makes Leonard Cohen sound likee a castrati.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Mr. Bean as Aslan?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You better believe it.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

Heck, as long as we're at it, what about Sean Connery... he did the voice of Draco in Dragonheart-- "Yesh, Edmond, I am the lasht... I mean, I am Ashlan."
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian Blessed would be perfect.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

Brian Blessed... he did a lot of Shakespeare movies, no?

I think someone who did a lot of shakespeare would be great-- they all seem to have royalty in their voices..... though I'd go for someone unknown, or less well known-- not Curry, Liam, James Earl, Connery, or Mr. Bean [Cry] Sad, I know.

Sean Bean or Brain Blessed (less well known) would be good.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for less well known Shakespearean actor too. That way when we hear it, we won't be thinking "oooh, that's Liam Neeson!"

I want to hear Aslan. Not an actor I'm already familiar with.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

I'm thinking of Blessed's portrayal of Exeter in Henry V (Branagh version)

When he delivers his message to the King of France he manages to have this booming/regal quality to his voice while actually speaking very quietly. I could definitely imagine him speaking gently with Lucy, etc. and then open a can of whoop ass when needed and not seem out of character.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert Gottfried.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

Hey, I know.... I've got it....

Leonardo Dicaprio.....

After all, he was in that Romeo and Juilet remake.....

And....

Picture it.....

Lucy and Aslan on top of a mountain. Lucy whispers, "I'm flying, Aslan, I'm flying..." Just as the Ice Queen shows up to shove her off the cliff.... Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Ryoko
Member # 4947

"Gilbert Gottfried"

Only if Pauly Shore can play Father Christmas.

ill malkier
Member # 8244

quote:
Originally posted by Ryoko:
"Gilbert Gottfried"

Only if Pauly Shore can play Father Christmas.

[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.