FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So*… what do you all think of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060761288/ref=pd_sxp_f/102-0603810-0312904?v=glance&s=books

Interesting.

I found the list online:

1. Michael Moore
2. Arthur Sulzberger
3. Ted Kennedy
4. Jesse Jackson
5. Anthony Romero
6. Jimmy Carter
7. Margaret Marshall
8. Paul Krugman
9. Jonathan Kozol
10. Ralph Neas
11. Noam Chomsky
12. Dan Rather
13. Andrew Heyward
14. Mary Mapes
15. Ted Rall
16. John Edwards
17. Al Sharpton
18. Al Gore
19. George Soros
20. Howard Dean
21. Judge Roy Moore
22. Michael Newdow
23. The Unknown American Terrorist
24. Lee Bollinger
25. James Kopp
26. Dr. Martin Haskell
27. Paul Begala
28. Julian Bond
29. John Green
30. Latrell Sprewell
31. Maury Povich
32. Jerry Springer
33. Bob Shrum
34. Bill Moyers
35. Jeff Danziger
36. Nancy Hopkins
37. Al Franken
38. Jim McDermott
39. Peter Singer
40. Scott Harshbarger
41. Susan Beresford
42. Gloria Steinem
43. Paul Eibeler
44. Dennis Kozlowski
45. Ken Lay
46. Barbara Walters
47. Maxine Waters
48. Robert Byrd
49. Ingrid Newkirk
50. John Vasconellos
51. Ann Pelo
52. Markos Moulitsas
53. Anna Nicole Smith
54. Neal Shapiro
55. David Westin
56. Diane Sawyer
57. Ted Field
58. Eminem
59. Shirley Franklin
60. Ludacris
61. Michael Savage
62. Howard Stern
63. Amy Richards
64. James Wolcott
65. Oliver Stone
66. David Duke
67. Randall Robinson
68. Katherine Hanson
69. Matt Kunitz
70. Jimmy Swaggart
71. Phil Donahue
72. Ward Churchill
73. Barbara Kingsolver
74. Katha Politt
75. Eric Foner
76. Barbara Foley
77. Linda Hirshman
78. Norman Mailer
79. Harry Belafonte
80. Kitty Kelley
81. Tim Robbins
82. Laurie David
83. The Dumb and Vicious Celebrity
84. The Vicious Celebrity
85. The Dumb Celebrity
86. Chris Ofili
87. Sheldon Hackney
88. Aaron McGruder
89. Jane Smiley
90. Michael Jackson
91. Barbara Streisand
92. Kerri Dunn
93. Richard Timmons
94. Guy Velella
95. Courtney Love
96. Eve Ensler
97. Todd Goldman
98. Sheila Jackson Lee
99. Matthew Lesko
100. Rick and Kathy Hilton

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
In my not so humble opinion, any list like that that has Jimmy Carter in the number six slot is full of crap. He's a great humanitarian, a good Christian, among many other things, even if his term in the presidency was less than stellar. He is making the world a better place, not a worse one.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think I'll be buying it. Or going to the library to read it.

Many of the people on that list haven't done more than give their opinion on something - that shouldn't be considered "screwing up" anything regardless of how stupid their opinion may or may not be.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any prominent Republicans on that list. Surely at least one of them is screwing up America.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

quote:

The number one New York Times bestselling author of Bias delivers another bombshell -- this time aimed at ...

100 People Who Are Screwing Up America

No preaching. No pontificating. Just some uncommon sense about the things that have made this country great -- and the culprits who are screwing it up.

Bernard Goldberg takes dead aim at the America Bashers (the cultural elites who look down their snobby noses at "ordinary" Americans) ... the Hollywood Blowhards (incredibly ditzy celebrities who think they're smart just because they're famous) ... the TV Schlockmeisters (including the one whose show has been compared to a churning mass of maggots devouring rotten meat) ... the Intellectual Thugs (bigwigs at some of our best colleges, whose views run the gamut from left wing to far left wing) ... and many more.

Goldberg names names, counting down the villains in his rogues' gallery from 100 all the way to 1 -- and, yes, you-know-who is number 37. Some supposedly "serious" journalists also made the list, including the journalist-diva who sold out her integrity and hosted one of the dumbest hours in the history of network television news. And there are those famous miscreants who have made America a nastier place than it ought to be -- a far more selfish, vulgar, and cynical place.

But Goldberg doesn't just round up the usual suspects we have come to know and detest. He also exposes some of the people who operate away from the limelight but still manage to pull a lot of strings and do all sorts of harm to our culture. Most of all, 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America is about a country where as long as anything goes, as one of the good guys in the book puts it, sooner or later everything will go.

This is serious stuff for sure. But Goldberg will also make you laugh as he harpoons scoundrels like the congresswoman who thinks there aren't enough hurricanes named after black people, and the environmentalist to the stars who yells at total strangers driving SUVs -- even though she tools around the country in a gas-guzzling private jet.

With Bias, Bernard Goldberg took us behind the scenes and exposed the way Big Journalism distorts the news. Now he has written a book that goes even further. This time he casts his eye on American culture at large -- and the result is a book that is sure to become the voice of all those Americans who feel that no one is speaking for them on perhaps the most vital issue of all: the kind of country in which we want to live.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Savage is conservative. And deserves to be on this list.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

21. Judge Roy Moore
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Michael Savage the fellow who threatened to sue Bush over the term "companionate conservative?"
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reviewer: Joseph Schultz "Joe" (Ashland, OH) - See all my reviews
I was expecting to be entertained by this book, but instead I was educated. I voted for Bush in 2000 and have pretty much been a staunch Republican all my life. But over those first four years I quickly discovered that Bush is not a Republican - he's a NEOCON. I didn't vote in 2004 because I couldn't support neocons. Neocons are the Sith who are secretly controlling the Republican party and the nation. With Goldberg's book, it became crystal clear that the people he lists are not enemies of America, nor are they even enemies of the true Republicans that are still out there. These people are the enemies of the neocons in power and this book is designed to keep them that way, at least among the masses who've been successfully coerced thus far. If all it takes to get a book published nowadays is to list a bunch of people you personally hate along with some a page or two of your own ranting, facts-need-not-apply reasons for doing so, then I'm starting my book tomorrow and should have it and my book deal done by the following day. It's clear Goldberg used this exact method on his book.

[ROFL]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Al Franken is only on that list at all because he dared to debunk the b.s. in Goldberg's previous book.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Moore doesn't have enough power to be the man most responsible for screwing up America. Most of the other names I recognize are media celebrities. I'll agree that the media do have a lot of collective power to cause trouble. But I suspect that those in political power have more, and they don't get much of a mention.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, the funny thing about this thread, and this book, is that I am not a very "good" liberal, and half the people on that list are my idea of amazing Americans.

MM isn't one of them though... [Wink]

I also thought it very funny that I could have guessed about half of the top 50. . .

Just because this was your thread.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be a more amazing list if it had Dick Cheney, Bill Frist, Rumsfeld, most especially Anne Coulter, O'Reilly, and a host of other names on it.

As it stands, the majority of the people on that list hold little to no real power. They can't effect change on almost any level. Except for Jimmy Carter, who is a great humanitarian.

Sad, sad, sad little list.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] at kayla's quotation
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds about as stupid as the "Greatest American" show. Which is to say, very stupid indeed.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* What an incredibly useless list.

Remind me some time to make a list of the people I find vaguely annoying and write a book called People Who Should Be Taken Out Back and Shot to Keep Our Country Free.

The difficulty, of course, would be in finding enough to write about each of them to fill a full-length book. I'd have to include pictures, large text, and a bunch of white space before each entry. Or I'd have to tell some imaginary personal anecdotes. Whichever seems easier.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Have I mentioned what a hackneyed, tired, stupid concept the whole 'sticking up for normal people by labeling everyone you disagree with elitest' thing is?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's remarkably elitist of you, Stormy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to your list, I guess. [Cry]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But why are they considered bad Americans?
Because they question the idea that America is a perfect, flawless country?
Because some of them were against the Iraq war?
What about the people who are even more vicious and negative, who do nothing but project lies and stereotypes on a regular basis?
I have a lot of respect for many on the list, though Courtney Love and Michael Jackson irratate me, David Duke is annoying and Barbara Streisand did that horrible version of Stoney End and I will not forgive her for that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do people who donate to the Carter Foundation on a regular basis get to be part of the problem?

::hopes::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd think Donna Brazil would be on there before Al Gore, at least she still actively participates in the Democratic party.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lee Bolinger is the president of Columbia University. How, exactly does that screw up America?

Besides being the most ethnically diverse Ivy League school, Columbia is also swarming with liberal hippie intellectuals. What could be worse for America than non-whites learning?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Carter at #6?

Aaron McGruder, a comic strip artist at #88? McGruder is definitely biased, but he "screws up America?"

Paul Begala, but no Tucker Carlson?

No Ann Coulter, anywhere?

What an absurd, useless list. I'm not sure wheter to be ticked off, saddenned, or amused.

--j_k

[ July 10, 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I not listed?

I should be right after Noam Chomsky.

*shakes fist uselessly*

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

On the plus side, Courtney Love is apparently neither a dumb nor a vicious celebrity, or else has done so much more good than your average dumb and/or vicious celebrity that she -- along with Babs and MJ -- are in fact better than most dumb/vicious celebrities. This must come as a relief.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty obviously a quick money-maker that will get snapped up by smug neo-cons because it vindicates their own prejudices. Too bad he limited himself to the active ones, he could have complained about Margaret Sanger, Charles Darwin, Martin Luther King, Jackie Robinson, W. Mark Felt, Rosa Parks, Louis, Mary and Richard Leakey, the women who marched for suffrage... There are plenty of interfering, squawking people who simply did not know their place and who spoke out against the People Who Know What's Good For Us.

Not that I don't agree with some of the choices. You can keep Michael Moore, Al Franken, and Kitty Kelly if you'll also be honest enough to include Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Bill O'Reilly (of all the spiteful conservative commentators, only Michael Savage?). I agree about Michael Jackson, Courtney Love, and Ann Nicole Smith, although I don't know why the Hiltons are on there but their daughter isn't. The stack of celebrities whose only crime was to speak out against the war? Who cares? How much influence do they really have, anyway.

Eve Ensler? I gotta hear the reasoning behind that one. Is this guy that afraid of women?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, where's Jon Stewart? He's gonna be peeved...

Why is Ken Lay on there but Jack Abramoff isn't? Was Lay's crime willful corporate malfeasance and influence peddling, or was it being caught?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

oooo, I didn't think of that, but Stewart would be rather annoyed at that.

I hope he mentions it on his show.

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
By "Screwing Up America" he obviously means "talking a lot". Then the list makes sense.

Bill Moyers is screwing up America? Last I checked he is a retired interviewer for PBS. A liberal interviewer, but just an interviewer.

I'm sorta sad that Pat Leahy isn't on the list. Apparently being a senior member of the senate that the Vice President likes to cuss at isn't screwing up America. Damn.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

See, and it's completely rational for us to lampoon the list, the author's motivations, and the rationale for each person on the list, without so much as picking up the book! We're Americans, darn it! We don't need to see something to have an opinion about it!

So a conservative wrote a conservative book. Are we really going to wet our pants over it?

Michael Moore wrote a book that defined Stupid White Men, in part, as guys who ran large companies that provided needed products and gave jobs to hundreds of people. Nobody got worked up about his failure to lampoon people who agreed with him.

What's the suprise here?

This afternoon I picked up a book in the library about the greatest Presidents. Whoever had last checked it out had gone through the list putting question marks by all the ones they disagreed with (Carter low? Reagan high? Clinton just mediocre?) and exclamation points by the ones they liked (Rosevelt high, Kennedy high, etc).

Similiar marks were made throughout the book. Comment looks good for Democrats? Exclamation point! Comment looks bad for Democrats? Question mark! And the inverse for conservatives.

That's all anybody does, really. Wholeheartedly swallow anything that fits their world view, and question anything that would challenge it.

If you're interested in knowing why somebody would think somebody you respect is screwing up America, get the book from the library. If you're not, then there's probably still copies of Stupid White Men or Downsize This kicking around.

And before anybody accuses me of hypocrisy again, I have my copy of Downsize This! sitting three feet away from me as I type this. I saw every episode of TV Nation, and still have a few of them on tape kicking around somewhere. I've been a fan of Michael Moore's since his first film, despite my politics being completely the inverse of his. He can make me laugh like few others.

But I'm also looking forward to Larry Elder's film "Michael & Me," where he turns the tables on Moore.

It's all part of the dialogue in the media age.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey docmagik! How's it going? Yea comparing this to a Michael Moore book? Not the best way to convince people that it's rock solid.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael Moore wrote a book that defined Stupid White Men, in part, as guys who ran large companies that provided needed products and gave jobs to hundreds of people. Nobody got worked up about his failure to lampoon people who agreed with him.
Nobody got worked up over Moore, eh? You should get out more. I hear they've made entire movies debunking some of his claims.

quote:
If you're interested in knowing why somebody would think somebody you respect is screwing up America, get the book from the library. If you're not, then there's probably still copies of Stupid White Men or Downsize This kicking around.

And what if you're not interested in what spin and lies either of these idiots throw around?

I'll write both off as ultra-biased drivel, and if I'm concerned with the issue at hand, I'll get the truth rather than try and average both sides' spin.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Who's saying it's rock solid?

I haven't read the book.

I'm not defending it. It might be drivel behind drivel.

I'm just saying--the book was written by a conservative. The list consists of liberals and people who give conservatives a bad name. Where's the shock in that? Why's everybody so amazed the list is biased?

If somebody had made a big fuss over the fact that a Michael Moore book said bad things about the war in Iraq--not a big fuss over his actual claims, but just a big fuss over the fact that he didn't like the President, you'd think this person was from Mars and didn't know how political books worked.

That's what I'm saying here. I'm not saying nobody got worked up over Moore's actual claims--I'm saying nobody was terribly shocked that he took the political stance that he did.

Am I explaining the difference clear enough?

If a dog poops on your carpet, you're going to get upset over what it's done to your carpet, not that the dog could create poop.

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
That's what I'm saying here. I'm not saying nobody got worked up over Moore's actual claims--I'm saying nobody was terribly shocked that he took the political stance that he did.
So you think people are more annoyed because of the fact that he's a conservative with conservative views then what exactly his views are?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Yes. I'm saying this thread is about people being shocked that the list is made up of nearly all liberals, when that's the kind of book it is.

It's like when my brother tried to warn us away from seeing "Evita."

He said, "I heard it's just a bunch of singing."

So yes.

The only other explanation--if you want something a little more inflammatory--is that this thread is a bunch of people doing exactly what they're accusing the author of the book of doing.

They're dismissing someone out of hand because of thier beliefs. "His beliefs are different from mine, ergo he is dangerous and/or silly."

Most of them do not actually know the rationale for his beliefs, why he included this or that obscure reference, but they're able to make quick assumptions and judgements based on what motivation would fit their view of conservatives.

Their assumption is that this man is making this list irrationally, simply because these people are disagreeing with him.

However, they are acting just as irrationally. They are not refuting his logic or his evidence--they can't because none of that is presented since this is just a list. They are dismissing him and his list based solely on the fact that it is different from their own.

Not saying that's wrong. That's what a liberal would do, just like cranking out this list is what a conservative would do.

That's what bias is.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
So*… what do you all think of this book:

Right wing drivel. Meh.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Actually my assumption was based on the list and some extrapolation based on the common denominators. For all I know the title of the book is sarcastic and he likes them all. But it's clear, based on previous opinions expressed, that Jay believes this list is at least partially accurate, so I figured making fun of the list is fair game just to see how he responds.
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Yes. I'm saying this thread is about people being shocked that the list is made up of nearly all liberals, when that's the kind of book it is.
It's not shock, it's annoyance. People aren't suprised that someone would write a book like this, or at least I know I'm not. So it's exactly the same as the reaction one gets from Michael Moore.

[/quote]Not saying that's wrong. That's what a liberal would do, just like cranking out this list is what a conservative would do.[/quote]

Wow, you've drawn yourself quite a thick line there. "This is what Liberals do... This is what Conservatives do..." That kind of thinking will always lead someone to think one side is inherently better. Three guesses as to which side you believe is better.

docmagik
Member # 1131

Jebus, I was saying that, just like a conservative would make a list that categorized people who thought differently from him as bad, liberals would then use that list to categorize him as bad.

In other words, I'm saying both sides are doing exactly the same thing.

Which means there's not a side I was pushing as being better. I was just tilting the scales back to center.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

What if you're peeved at demagogues and rabble-rousers and crooked politicians from both sides?

It's not opposing opinions that bother me. If this country can't handle hearing ideas we might as well fold up now. What bothers me the most is the tactics and methods used, even if I agree with the ideal behind them, because extremists of any stripe are more inclined to damage the society they're in just to achieve their short term goals.

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Jebus, I was saying that, just like a conservative would make a list that categorized people who thought differently from him as bad, liberals would then use that list to categorize him as bad.

In other words, I'm saying both sides are doing exactly the same thing.

Which means there's not a side I was pushing as being better. I was just tilting the scales back to center.

You keep doing this Liberal/Conservative thing. I'm sure there are plenty of Conservatives who would dislike this list, aswell. Just like I know there are plenty of Liberals who dislike Michael Moore.
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. All the right and left extremists gots tah go.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Only one probelm with that, doc....

I am not either. I AM tired of people on BOTH sides throwing around labels and making absurd claims about their opponants. I won't listen to Rush or AC (and I don't mean the bands here.. [Wink] ) most of the time because I usually already know what they will say....it takes very little to guess what Al Franken and MM will say about the same issues as well.

I do like listening to Molly Ivans and Jon Stewart, and to O'Rielly sometimes, because at least they make some good points, even if I don't agree with ther conclusion all of the time.

There is a difference between hate-spewing and reporting, or even political commentary and humor.....and if I wanted to listen to a bunch of idiots spewing this type of crap I would just go listn to the a bunch of drunks down at the local bar talk about the Red Sox/Yankees games this year.

I guess you could say I am biased against poor attitudes, which is why I dislike MM and AC about the same amount. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
dogmagik reminds me of Mr Card for some odd reason, are you OSC in disguise? You argue an excellent point. And as for getting rid of extremists... then where will us old Bolsheviks go?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I wouldn't say get rid of anyone..I have learned a few things from even right-wingers and extreme lefties. [Wink]

I just don't thin that there is anything wrong with filtering out most of what some of these people think. I don't have to read through their crap to reconize the smell from a distance.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Well, no. That's the kind of book it IS. The kind of book it CLAIMS to be is a list of the Top 100 People Screwing Up America.

I think what we're doing is pointing out that it's regrettable that this particular conservative believes the two lists are apparently conflated.

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than the conservative bias of the list, I was more bothered by the fact that anyone has the stones to point to 100 people and declare that they're breaking a society that's been around for more than 200 years.

Last time I checked these people haven't shot anyone, or started antigovernment movements, or take part in burning down the White House. Most of them like a good hamburger like the average American. Most of them talk for a living, which just doesn't make the list for "Screwing Up America"-worthy professions.

I'd never say that Ann Coultier or Rush are screwing up America. I don't agree with them in the least, but they're just as right as the people I do agree with.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
To truely improve something you have to go beyond simply questioning and assaulting, it is always easy to be on the offensive. I can always come up with something you did wrong, no one is perfect. The difficult part is trying to construct, organize, and to keep something running smoothly on a day to day basis without any crazy abuse or perversion of power.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that the current America is not a society that has been around for 200 years, I'd say it was more developed from around the time of WWII on.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.