FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, it doesn't say that they're the top 100 people. Just that they are 100 people that are doing a certain thing. There could be 5 million people doing the same thing, and these 100 were picked at random from among them, in no particular order [Smile]

Wheat, 200 years isn't a long time, and other vibrant cultures have gone into stagnation and decline in very short time periods in the past. I'm not saying this guy has the answers, but it's not completely preposterous either to consider the idea that America could make key mistakes that drop it into decline within a single generation.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Reagans military buildup, warz, pollution, sliding job markets.. etc etc. And as for burning down the white house us Canucks did that, in fact it wasn't even Canadians it was NEWFIES! You let newfies burn down the white house??!! Shame on you!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a dog poops on your carpet, you're going to get upset over what it's done to your carpet, not that the dog could create poop.
Wow. It's like a Zen koan. It seems so profound and yet it says absolutely nothing. May I quote this when I want to stun adversaries?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2788

- posted      Profile for Loki           Edit/Delete Post 
Anna Nicole Smith????!!!

Really, ANNA NICOLE SMITH??? [Big Grin]

Loki

Posts: 39 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't this list be more aptly titled "100 People That Largely Lack The Power To Either Improve Upon Or Screw Up America, Yet That Certain Radical Conservatives Like To Complain About Nevertheless"?

If there are liberals around who could be classified as capable of "screwing up America", they certainly aren't a bunch of
Hollywood actors - whose power seems to be more along the lines of being capable of making successful movies.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
If a dog poops on your carpet, you're going to get upset over what it's done to your carpet, not that the dog could create poop.
Wow. It's like a Zen koan. It seems so profound and yet it says absolutely nothing. May I quote this when I want to stun adversaries?
[ROFL]
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wheat, 200 years isn't a long time, and other vibrant cultures have gone into stagnation and decline in very short time periods in the past. I'm not saying this guy has the answers, but it's not completely preposterous either to consider the idea that America could make key mistakes that drop it into decline within a single generation.
This is true, although I doubt anybody on that list classifies as screwing up America more or less than their mirrors on the opposite side of the political spectrum, which is to say that I don't think either are doing any permanent damage to America.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still laughing at the author's need to include Matthew Lesko...

LOLOLOLOL

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
The author was on the Daily Show tonight. Jon Stewart ripped him apart. It was quite funny. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It was rather entertaining.

Stewart is right, why is he attacking people with little to no power, and totally leaving alone the people who actually control what happens?

Some of the music industry, hip hop only, really, was perhaps his best defense. The common "bitches and hoes" argument I think is a valid one, that this type of music degrades women and sends negative messages. Yes it does, but his book didn't address 50 Cent, it attacked people like Tim Robbins and Barbara Streisand, who I think everyone in America would agree have little to no power to effect social change on the scale this guy apparently thinks they do.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.