FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The lying liars lied to me. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The lying liars lied to me.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the words on the box, the new Strawberry Milkshake Pop Tarts are not "exceptionally delicious frozen". They are, in fact, supremely mediocre, and they are so sweet it was actually a little bit sickening.

That is all.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad when their innocence is stolen. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the latest op-ed in The Onion regarding the abuse of the word "crunch-tastic?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
no?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Serves you right for eating pop tarts in the first place. American sweets are sugary to the point of nausea; you should avoid them at all costs.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Serves you right for eating pop tarts in the first place.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Ugh. Pop tarts.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Strawberry Milkshake? Is that flavor good?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about dark chocolate.
Lots of chocolate.
Endless amounts of extreme chocolate and not too sweet.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Plus, everyone knows you gotta toast your tarts so they're crunchy. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strawberry Milkshake? Is that flavor good?
In my opinion, no. I have now tried them frozen, toasted, and at room temperature, and they seem to be at their best at room temperature. Not that that's saying much.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had pop tarts.
They seem revoltingly sweet.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Plus, everyone knows you gotta toast your tarts so they're crunchy. [Smile]

Actually, crunchiness isn't something I look for in my tarts. I prefer 'em moist.

[Monkeys]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

If you were English... That would be slightly vulgar...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus is Irish, which is like being English without the money or self-respect. [Wink] *ducks*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I thought it was like being English, but without the stick up the butt or the natty clothes.

Hmm.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ailurophobic
Member # 8343

- posted      Profile for ailurophobic   Email ailurophobic         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the f--king Earth! The most wretched miserable servile pathetic trash that was ever shat on civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to get colonized by. We're ruled by effete a--holes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any f--king difference!"

-Trainspotting

At least you're not Scottish.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was like being english at all. I just thought Irish was a synonym for "insane people with incomprehensible accents."
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Isn't that like being English?
jebus202
Member # 2524

All black people (rich or poor) are criminals and they're usually unwashed.

::twiddles fingers::

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Potato eater.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting variation on Ender's "Hey, we can't all be n*****s" comment, Jebus. I appreciate you reminding us all that racism comes in many forms, regardless of the race, whether or not it's a quotation, includes a specific epithet, or is followed by a wink.

[Edit -- even to make a point, I'm uncomfortable using that word. Hope nobody else was too offended.]

[ July 10, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's worth noting that my wink hopefully denoted the fact that I was poking Jebus, not actually insulting the Irish.

As Christy and I liked Ireland -- and its people -- enough to seriously contemplate moving there, and ultimately decided not to primarily because we didn't want to inflict our hopelessly American selves on an unsuspecting country, and as we've said as much on this forum, I didn't feel it was necessary to explicitly indicate that I in reality hold the Irish in high regard. [Smile]

I am perfectly willing to play Devil's Advocate if the joke is good. *grin*

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

There is a certain irony in that the poster who basically has defined himself as a poster of sarcastic comments didn't catch that all the comments weren't at all serious, heh.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

What I find fascinating is that you guys took a thread that was meant as a meaningless fluff piece on Pop Tarts and turned it into an exchange of racist remarks. I knew Ratraquenhos had a talent for derailing threads, but wow! Did not see this coming.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
And I am just mad because I was going to make a naughty allusion to toasted tarts, and then Jebus beat me to it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

By the way, Verily the Younger, I think it is quite rude of you to refer to Pop as a tart. Sheesh.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

What I find fascinating is that you guys took a thread that was meant as a meaningless fluff piece on Pop Tarts and turned it into an exchange of racist remarks.

[Roll Eyes]
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with being Scottish? *picks up brick*

I hate poptarts with an intense passion, they're always waaaay to sweet and dry. Give me eggs and bacon for breakfast anytime.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
There is a certain irony in that the poster who basically has defined himself as a poster of sarcastic comments didn't catch that all the comments weren't at all serious, heh.
I did absolutely catch that fact, since I know Tom and digging well enough. And even if I didn't the comments only made me laugh anyway.

What I was doing, was making the generic racist comment (I hate Black people) to see if that would bring intervention from Pops. I just find the it interesting that a joking comment about Irish people will offend no one, but a joking comment about Black people is bound to offend someone (usually someone who is actually not black). Call it some kind of anthropology experiment and pretend I'm smart.

Or maybe it's jsut a big cover up for how hurt my feelings were. ::shrugs::

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop tarts-- blech. They're only good if you have pancakes and eggs and bacon to eat instead.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Eww... I hate poptarts. They so cardboardy and make me sick to my stomach every time I try to eat em. Eggo Waffles are so much better if you're gonna eat packaged crap for breakfast. But if I'm gonna choose... homemade eggs, cheese and bacon sandwich on a biscuit or english muffin. *rubs tummy* delicious.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pop tarts-- blech. They're only good if you have pancakes and eggs and bacon to eat instead.
*laugh*

I have never had a pop tart. Should I put it on the List of Life Experiences To Try Someday? Above making my own face cleanser, but below lobster trawling.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jebus, my statement above didn't include any sarcasm toward you. It was the Irish/English/Scottish comments I considered out of line, and though you pointed out what I would have in a different way, I thought you handled it rather deftly.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Well then, kudos to you [Smile] , but in all seriousness the Irish/English/Scottish comments weren't really that out of line and should be accepted. I was really just trying to touch on the sensitivies of people towards other races which are visibly different (such as black people).
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

I did absolutely catch that fact, since I know Tom and digging well enough. And even if I didn't the comments only made me laugh anyway.

Well, I guess you can still hang with the cool kids, then. Just make sure you bring enough tarts for everyone. [Smile]
jebus202
Member # 2524

...That's gross, you're like 40 or something... ewww.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Not quite 40, but so what?

Thinking about it, I suspect that you're used to the way Irishmen age. I'm sure after a decade or two of trundling bundles of rocks to and fro for your English overlords, you guys tend to age at three times the rate those of us in first world countries do. I mean, at 36 I can look forward to at least another three decades of being frisky, where I guess your average Irishman at 36 would be looking for the best place to hide his stash of Guinness before he keeled over.

(Note to the sarcasm impaired, above is not for real. It's a lark, poking fun, pulling jebuseses leg, goofing, etc., and does not reflect true feelings of poster.)

[ July 11, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

jebus202
Member # 2524

All I'm saying is that anyone who lives past 30 is clearly a lazy sh*t. Unions are for pussies.

(WOW I REPLACED THE I WITH AN ASTERIX, NOW IT'S NO LONGER OFFENSIVE YAAAAAAAYY)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Storm Saxon,
Jebus must be too young to realize the effect older men have on women. Too bad, that.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

All I'm saying is that anyone who lives past 30 is clearly a lazy sh*t. Unions are for pussies.

I think I speak for all right thinking people the world over when I say, wtf? :lol:

Elizabeth, yeah... [Frown] I mean, yeah! Now that I'm 36, I have to shoo women away! All the time! 24 hours a day!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, I am thinking more when you are 46, so give it some time!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* 46 year old guys are definitely hot.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, I guess if you douse them with lighter fluid and set them on fire....
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Great. So I only have to wait 22 more years to get a woman. That's a comfort. [Roll Eyes]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

'Your portfolio! It's so big! I never knew a man could get one like that!'
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Razz]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What I tell my frinds who are older and who have not met a "mate" yet is this: No problem, there's a new crop of divorcees coming in. They are handsome, they have learned from their mistakes, and they are already completely at peace with who they are.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I tell my frinds who are older and who have not met a "mate" yet is this: No problem, there's a new crop of divorcees coming in. They are handsome, they have learned from their mistakes, and they are already completely at peace with who they are.
And they have had plenty of experience with effete English frozen Pop Tarts.

I prefer to put butter on pop tarts, but only on the ones without iceing. It really takes down the sweetness. I don't eat them very often though, so I'm won't be at risk for heart disease by the time I'm 25.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Great. So I only have to wait 22 more years to get a woman. That's a comfort.
[ROFL]

...and no, I'm not laughing with you.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

I think I speak for all right thinking people the world over when I say, wtf? :lol:
Erm, I was going along with your joke.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.