FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beards and Respect (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Beards and Respect
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think well-trimmed beards look classy.
Well, then you can go ahead and grow a classy beard yourself, honey. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beards take MUCH more attention.
I disagree. My facial hair grows really fast, but I still only have to trim it every three or four days to keep it looking neat. And all that takes is a few swipes with my clippers.

I do shave about 4 square inches on my cheeks and neck daily, but that takes 30 seconds and no shaving cream, 'cause I do it when I get out of the shower.

Very low maintenance. And cheaper.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that would take a heavy dose of testosterone....

I think that would be bad for the baby.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that not having a beard is in many ways lower maintenance for me.

I shave in the shower by feel.

But when I have a beard, I can't do it by feel. I have to do it when I'm not in the shower, which is so much more of a hassle for me.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
...and the Best Beard award goes to..........
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the guy is especially good looking, he can pull of just about anything
Yeah, don't fall into that trap. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and thought to myself "Brad Pitt looks good with a shaved head, I should shave my head."

In my defense, it's really hot here and I have thick hair, but the moral of the story is don't do something because it looks good on someone else. Especially when that someone else is a movie star.

*Note - I didn't actually shave my head, but I am seriously considering it, despite photographic proof that it doesn't look good on me.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I have suggested my husband try a beard after we've been on vacation and he hasn't shaved for a while. I think it looks good on him, but he said he didn't want to be "That fat guy with a beard." I don't think he's really fat, a bit over weight, yeah, but not FAT fat.

I have very long nails right now, because I won't cut them all until one breaks. I keep them even and well cared for. They're about half an inch long now. Is that freaky or not?

Anyway, trimmed and neatly edged is nice. Longish, curling facial hairs trailing down the neck into the collar or within a couple inches of the eyes is just freaky, in my experience. I admit that is probably a cultural thing, though.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I have to say that the beard really agrees with Frisco.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just as an especially good looking girl can pull off just about anything.
I second that. [Evil]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

If my nails are really long, it is usually due to laziness. I am *not* a manicure sort of person. When my nails are too long, they just get in the way and get broken when, you know, I actually try to use my hands for stuff.

I honestly don't know how girls put up with the claws in day to day living. I did a "girls night out" a few years back where I put on some press on nails. Just trying to get in my car and drive was a nightmare! I ripped those puppies off as soon as I could.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

:wub:
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's mostly superior genetics. [Wink] My nails are really, really strong. I use them to loosen screws when I don't have a screwdriver. I files around so I can neaten them up if they break. They actually make it easier to type on my wee laptop keyboard. I can dig a worm and feed it to my hedgehog without ever having to actually touch a worm. They are also handy when cleaning, because I used them to scrape stuff off my dishes or floors.

I wash my hands a lot, and scrub the nails, too. [Wink]

When I break a nail, I cut them all short to be even. I feel like my fingers are dumber, less nimble when they are short. I'm accustomed to using them, so when they aren't there it's weird.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Here you go. It's pretty big, but it shows you how slowly my facial hair grows.

Maybe that's why I don't like growing a beard -- the awkward inbetween stage lasts too long.

http://home.comcast.net/~cporter42/stubble.jpg

That's quite the smoldering gaze, Porter. You and Pat should have a male model face-off, just like in Zoolander. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well. I will admit I am relatively lazy when it comes to many things. I am by no means a tidy person (I don't live in filth, or anything like that, though).

But I'm not a particularly lazy person, in general. For example, this summer I usually spend a few hours a day doing housework (after my actual job). Two days ago I painted a room, yesterday I put down tiles (cutting tiles, especially around doors, is not easy!), and today I put a new light in my basement ceiling and re-cocked around a bathtub. My point is, if you looked up Sloth in the dictionary I wouldn't be last on the list, but I certainly wouldn't be first.

I've always been of the belief that you shouldn't get a haircut (including facial hair) because someone you know thinks you don't look right. I'm not the most handsome guy - I don't think a beard changes the quality of how I look much.

Now, assuming I am wrong and I look like some West Virginian mountain man - would a messy face be enough reason to glare and turn away from me? Or to think, "Hm, looks like this student doesn't keep care of his face. I bet he doesn't know a darn thing about the Behistun Inscription of Darius."? (yes, I''m being somewhat facetious)

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Hmm, that would take a heavy dose of testosterone....

I think that would be bad for the baby.

Whoa. Are you expecting? Have I missed something? Or am I just having one of those Mondays where I forget stuff and act dumb?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
You and Pat should have a male model face-off, just like in Zoolander. [Smile]
Oh! My aching sides!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
That's quite the smoldering gaze, Porter. You and Pat should have a male model face-off, just like in Zoolander. [Smile]
>.<
beverly
Member # 6246

Someone is paying attention!

But you didn't "miss anything" since this is the first time I've bothered to mention it.

You win the prize!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Instead of having a face-off like in Zoolander, how about we just watch Zoolander instead?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Everybody wins!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves Zoolander*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
re-cocked around a bathtub
*bites tongue hard to keep from saying anything*
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
*bites tongue hard to keep from saying anything*

Thank you. I suppose I should have typed that slightly differently. [Blushing]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me among those that are perplexed by those that consider a beard a sign of laziness.

My facial hair grows very quickly. I would have to shave twice a day to keep it clean-shaven, but my skin is also extremely sensitive, so that's right out. I also find stubble extremely irritating and uncomfortable. It only takes me about a week to go from clean-shaven to passable beard. I find trimming the beard to be less work than shaving. (My facial hair grows in a variety of directions, so there's none of that with- or against-the-grain debate: I have to shave each area in both directions or I will have baseball-field-like patches of stubble. Especially on my neck/bottom of jaw area.) Still, I don't see it as a laziness issue considering that the hair belongs there. It is the natural way of things. Shaving it, when I choose to do so, is the affectation.

As for respect, I always feel like I've gotten more respect with the beard. The upside is that parents are less likely to challenge me with a beard; the downside is that some kids are more likely to be intimidated by me with the beard.

Being able to buy drinks at 14 was pretty cool too. [Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
beards scratch.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Stubble scratches.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

They do get softer as they grow out.

:wub:

Kama
Member # 3022

okay. beard hair get in your mouth!

[Angst]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

The hair on my beard isn't nearly long enough to get into my mouth.
Kama
Member # 3022

i was not talking about a guy's mouth.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well then, Kama, you'll just have to trim your beard short enough that it doesn't get in your mouth.
beverly
Member # 6246

Other hair can get in your mouth too... and is far more likely to, in my experience.

[Monkeys]

Kama
Member # 3022

but at least not in public places!
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have, at one time or another, had every common beard variation and a few uncommon ones. Including: Full Beard(trimmed), Full Beard(long), Goatee, Half-Goatee(left), Half-Beard(left), Fu Manchu(proper), Fu Manchu(cheater), Soul Patch, Moustache, Pirate 'Stache.

The amount of respect each got (and deserved) varied wildly. The Half is the most fun though, for the absolutely fascinating reactions, and the fact that people can go quite a long time without actually noticing it.

--Enigmatic
(Saw Liam Neeson in Batman Begins and thought "Oh, there's a beard I haven't tried!)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the way long nails feel. I've had short nails due to playing the guitar and when it starts growing longer, I have to cut them because it gets irritating. For me, the nails get in the way of what my fingers can do on their own.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I can say without reservation that I have gotten just as little respect or admiration whether I was sporting a beard or not.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well. My old roomate (who had, and has, a very full beard) kissed me full on the lips at a convocation.

He had enough beard hairs to get some in my mouth. While the kiss wasn't erotic, it certainly wasn't entirely unpleasant.

My old girlfriend used to ask me to shave a lot. But she never mentioned anything about hair and kissing together...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to put in another vote in favor of beards -- especially well-trimmed ones.

IMO, very few men (I have met a couple) look better clean-shaven than with a beard. Also, beards are soft (or can be, if properly conditioned); stubble is nasty and scratchy.

Kama, hair in the mouth generally comes from a mustache than needs trimming. Or a beard that needs to be conditioned.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
See, now I'm jealous of y'all. I seem to be the one 18 year old in the state of Missouri who couldn't grow a beard if he wanted to. Heaven help me if I even tried.

Also, this is just curiosity--is the amount of facial hair you have genetic, or can it be a sign that something's wrong with you, or what?

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

*Could* be either....

Could your father/brothers grow facial hair?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, just to add to your list, Jeff looks much better clean-shaven than with a beard. He tried several styles-- taking off more each time-- in the past week or so. I was not impressed.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Human -- you have any Native American blood? Some tribes of Native Americans have very very little facial or body hair (like hair-clean chests), and that is genetic. I would say in most cases how easily you grow hair would be influenced greatly by genetics.

FG

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
rivka, just to add to your list, Jeff looks much better clean-shaven than with a beard. He tried several styles-- taking off more each time-- in the past week or so. I was not impressed.

I'm sorry, but he cannot qualify for the list unless I can see some pictures for comparison purposes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

IIRC, many Asian races can't grow a full beard either.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, some guys' beards just don't come in very well until they're older. When I was 18 I could sort of grow a beard, but if I did it was thin, scraggly, and didn't look very good. By mid-20s I'd have a thick, dark beard after only 2-3 weeks of not shaving. If you're getting any facial hair right now, there's still hope it'll be better later.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude on the far right. THAT'S a beard.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Whew! The flyaway hair just completes the look.

And the look says: "Old, crazy hermit".

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I look ridiculous with a beard. That didn't stop me from having one for a while, but it's not an experiment I'll be repeating.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I look ridiculous with a beard, too. But I look even more ridiculous without it.

It's silly for women to complain about men's beards, when their hair - short or long - is forever getting into men's faces during moments of even relatively casual intimacy. Undelicious. And your hair tickles, too. But we men don't insist you shave your heads. We just deal with it because we love you.

And for most of human history, the razor wasn't invented; yet somehow the species managed to reproduce itself.

Still ... what the world needs is a good depilator that causes no pain, doesn't smell, and doesn't irritate the skin.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Or maybe you deal with it because you like the look of women with hair better far better than women shorn? [Wink] Enough to put up with a bit of annoyance once in awhile.

I think if I shaved my head out of consideration for Porter's annoyance at it tickling him, he would be very, very sad indeed.

If all men have beards, and no woman knows differently, then of course they will take what is available. But you start giving 'em a choice... then you see what they really prefer.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.