FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beards and Respect (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Beards and Respect
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Men with faces more like women's?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one person described it as the youthful look being the initial cause of attraction to a smooth male cheek. Dunno if it's true or not.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, I don't see it as a laziness issue considering that the hair belongs there. It is the natural way of things. Shaving it, when I choose to do so, is the affectation.
Thank you! About time somebody said something sensible. You know, there was a time when a man without a beard would get no respect. It's such an obviously masculine feature, the vast majority of women being unable to grow one, that it was a sign of manhood. A man with a beard was a man; a man with a naked face was a girly man.

I keep a beard, not because I'm lazy, but because I bleeding well want one. I like the way it looks on me. (I'd like it better if I could get my mustache and beard to connect. Darn my Cherokee blood!)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to have light-colored hair so I don't have to shave every morning. Maybe it's my tender flesh, but shaving hurts like nothing else I do on a regular basis. It's not exactly positive reenforcement to continue the practice.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a funny dent in my skull. I'd look odd with a shaved head.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
When I reach my 60s, I'm going to abandon the beard and get me some of these. Man, talk about cool. [Cool]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A beard to really complain about!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked my husband because of his beard. I'll have to get a picture up some time.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I always wonder about pictures like that: What do they do when they decide it's time to get the bees off?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
GAH!

Thanks for the link, rivka. [Angst]

Jamie: With cranial restructuring, you can fix that.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
rivka, I always wonder about pictures like that: What do they do when they decide it's time to get the bees off?

I don't know. But I bet ScottR might have some idea.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am indifferent both ways about beards, but my favorite is a four-day stubble. If they could keep it at that, I'd be happy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o You like the Saddam look?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
A little more experience kissing would change your mind, kat. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey, this is based on experience. I had someone who only shaved on Sunday, and Thursday was my favorite day.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

True, I suppose with you, only the face area would be covered in a red rash. [Razz]

I was thinking more about my experiences.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Your faith in my innocence is sweet.

Four-day stubble

[ July 12, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
MMmmnghgahgjshlrrrRAaaaaawwwrr

I admit, though, that I like a bit o' beard better when the whiskers are of the blondish variety. I don't know why, unless it's that it is the same color as the skin underneath. Same reason I never wear my hair in cornrows (even thouiugh it WOULD match after a few weeks of being out and about - but that would risk the whole burning/peeling thing. Not good.)

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Beards are all about respect.

My plan is to grow a beard so amazing that I'll be elected president of the United States, this is coming from someone who isn't a citizen. Yup, it'll be that incredible.

But seriously if someone bases their respect on how much hair you have on your face then they have a problem.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't shaved in about 7 months, the only thing I've trimmed is the mustache because it gets in my mouth. I do wash and comb it though. Here are some pictures of me with the beard and without. Also I cut my hair fairly short and the only reason I get it cut again is because it starts bothering me, I do the same with my fingernails, they get to be about a half inch long before I cut them usually. Right now I dont have that much of a reason to make my self look neat because I'm just going to college. Some of my professors have beards and I haven't noticed that they treat me differnt when I have the beard then when I don't. Also one of my professors complimented me on my beard.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
My plan is to grow a beard so amazing that I'll be elected president of the United States,
Odd that you'd say that, considering it's been quite some time since we've had a bearded president at all.
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
My beard will be the beard that defines all future beards.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting link, Verily. (And Forsooth!)

Did you listen to this recording, of the first president to have something completely unintelligible/incoherent recorded?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Pretty interesting. Didn't catch a word of it, of course, beyond "president", and I'm pretty sure the end was "Benjamin Harrison".

But wow, check this one out. Actual audio of Theodore Roosevelt. [Cool]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>A beard to really complain about!

You know, I bet he's holding the queen in his mouth.

Eww.

[Smile]

No, really-- he's either holding the queen off-camera, or she's in his mouth.

They get bees off of them by releasing the queen, and then gently brushing the bees away.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
What gets respect is neatness, not hairlessness.

Frisco: I looked over details for being faculty at BYU once. Beards are forbidden. Can you believe it?

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
bmeaker -- you look quite nice in the top photo, with the medium-length, trimmed beard. I don't like the longer beard as much on your face. But I definately like the beard to the clean-shaven option. (but then again, that is my vote on most men).

edit: oh -- and your brother Jonathan should NOT have a beard! oh my.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
What gets respect is neatness, not hairlessness.

Frisco: I looked over details for being faculty at BYU once. Beards are forbidden. Can you believe it?

Well, students can't have them, either, so it's not much of a surprise. I seem to remember hearing that they make an exception for non-member professors, but I'm not sure about that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I can believe it, and always found it curious that facial hair was forbidden at a school named after a man with such a ginormous beard. [Razz]
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl - Thanks, right now its a little bit longer than that first picture but its still fairly neat. I haven't cut or trimmed it since that first picture was taken. My brother has a goatee right now, it looks ok, and he has short hair.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tonight at the signing I kept staring at male faces.

I blame Hatrack.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has also made me a bit more aware of facial hair on men.

Maybe it comes from being an Army Brat(where every man I came in contact with as a child was clean-shaven), but I have always felt threatened by men with beards. The longer/shaggier the scarrier. My mom used to refer to them as woolly-boogers. [Big Grin] When our pastor started growing a beard, she asked him if he'd mind coming over to our house, because our kitchen sink needed a good scrubbing. *snerk*

My mother was te only woman I have ever known who could get away with saying something like that.

And I love the word 'ginormous.'

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.