FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Favorite Russian Music

Author Topic: My Favorite Russian Music
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Katiusha:

Rastsvetali yabloni i grushi,
Poplyli tumani nad rekoj
Vyhodila na bereg Katyusha
Na vysokij bereg, na krutoj

Vyhodila, pesnyu zavodila
Pro stepnovo sizovo orla
Pro tovo kotorovo lyubila
Pro tovo ch'i pis'ma beregla.

Oj, ty pesnya, pesenka devich'ya,
Ty leti za yasnym solntsem vsled
I bojtsu na dal'nem pogranich'e
Ot Katyushi peredaj privet

Pust' on vspomnit devushku prostuyu
Pust' uslyshit' kak ona poyot.
Pust' on zemlyu berezhyot rodnuyu
A lyubov' Katyusha sberezhyot.

Rastsvetali yabloni i grushi,
Poplyli tumani nad rekoj
Vyhodila na bereg Katyusha
Na vysokij bereg, na krutoj

Translation:

Apples and pears were blossoming
Mist on the river floating
On the bank Katyusha stepped out
On the high steep bank

Stepped out, started a song
About one grey steppe eagle
About her loved one
Whose letters she cherished

Oh song, maiden's song
Fly towards the clear sun
And to the warrior on a far away border
Bring Katyusha's greeting

May he remember this simple maiden
And hear her singing
May he save our motherland
And love, Katyusha will save

Then there's Rider's March but I dont have the lyrics, but the National Anthm of the USSR is good:

Soyuz Nerushimyj Respublik svobodnyh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus'.
Da zdravstvuet sozdannyj volej narodov
Edinyj, moguchij Sovetskij Soyuz!

[Pripev:]
Slav'sya otechestvo nashe svobodnoe,
Druzhby narodov nadyozhnyj oplot!
Partiya Lenina - sila narodnaya
Nas k torzhestvu kommunizma vedyot!

Skvoz' grozy siyalo nam solntse svobody,
I Lenin velikij nam put' ozaril:
Na pravoe delo on podnyal narody,
Na trud i na podvigi nas vdohnovil!

V pobede bessmertnyh idej kommunizma
My vidim gryaduschee nashej strany,
I krasnomu znameni slavnoj Otchizny
Mi budem vsegda bezzavetno verny!

Kossack's Song, SOng of the Plains, and Ah! Nastasha are my considered favorites as well, all of which and more and be gleaned here at:
http://www.gridcogames.com/HOI%20Stuff/military_music.htm

Good work Rico does preserving old military music.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening a great russian music : Tchaïkovsky, symphony n°5, op.64 : Finale.

I love Tchaïkovsky, and with this piece, i stay glue to my chair !

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dmitri Hvorostovsky has a great version of that song...
And he sings the most beautiful version of Moi Genii, Moi Angel, Moi Drug by Tchaikovsky.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Borodin.
Tchaikovsky.
Whoever wrote Russian Sailor's Dance.
Rimsky-Korsakov.
Mussorgsky.

Although the Germans and Italians do have valid claims, I believe the greatest "classical" music came from Russia.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Glinka

Overture to Russlan and Ludmilla -- Very exciting. I had a chance to perform it a couple of years ago -- loved it.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sviridov.
You need some of him.
Dmitri sings whole CDs of Sviridov. I recommend Petersburg a Vocal poem.
If you want I can send samples.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

blayne.bradley@gmail.com send me send me!!!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

as for sailors dance I prefer the song of the plains unless I got em mixed up... hmm...,
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

oh ya I prefer songs with vocals, especially if its by the Red Army Choir though Song of the Plains *listening now* is pretty good.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

there
let me know if you like it.i'll try to send you more Dmitri.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

ok it was good I alrdy had another Katyusha but this one is good too, send me more S.V.P
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
heya, synthesia when you sending the other dmitri's [Big Grin] been 2 years now.

Also I found O'Canada prefermed by Red Arm Choir its teh awesome.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Katusha in my head now. I feel like dancing and shooting you at the same time. [Wink]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I know! its a wierd feeling, I also feel like the guy singing is holding a cigarete wierd..
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to Russian music off that website for the last year, I love it. I wish there was more.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne - Actually I meant I wanted to shoot YOU for getting it stuck in my head. But I did mean it in a very friendly sort of way. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Vladimir Viosky. If you've seen White Nights, he is the one who sings the song that Barishnikov dances to in the empty Bolshoi. Not all of the recordings are the best quality (hardly surprising if you're singing protest songs in Soviet Russia), but the passion in his voice . . . Gives me chills.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Sergei Prokofiev.
Piotr Tchaikovsky.

There are SO many, but those are the three wonderful Russian composers that I will typically listen to. My roommate is double majoring in Russian studies and violin performance, so she brings in a lot of absolutely beautiful Russian classical music too, and plays it... but I don't know what half of it is!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
heya, synthesia when you sending the other dmitri's [Big Grin] been 2 years now.

Also I found O'Canada prefermed by Red Arm Choir its teh awesome.

Oops
plus I had to reformat my whole computer....
I'll have to see...

Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see someone mentioned Prokofiev. He is a fabulous composer who wrote the music to Peter and the Wolf. His Lt. Kije Suite is one of the greatest pieces of classical music ever written. I am sure everyone knows some of his pieces, the just don't know they know it!
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Evil -- exactly. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His Lt. Kije Suite is one of the greatest pieces of classical music ever written.
That's strange. I've always found it a bit of a farce of a piece. I think that the bassoon solo in the later movements is super cool. The super coolness even comes out in the solo piano version.

I like his solo piano work much more than the non-piano instrumental works, some of the piano sonatas are awesome, and I like the first and the third piano concertos. I don't know the second, and while I've been part of an orchestra playing the third, when I hear it, I keep thinking of Amy Irving in The Competition, which is a good thing because in that movie, Amy Irving did a job playing the woman of my dreams.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
my favorite russian music
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm interested in the Russian-Japanese singer Origa.

Google it. [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.