FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anyone know of anything we can do about this? (Situation Resolved.) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does anyone know of anything we can do about this? (Situation Resolved.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm also suprised by your position on the cats. It seems to me that if you didn't have them you could live with your mum for a bit and save 1 months rent and then have reduced your monthly outgoings in term of cat food / insurance etc. All in all a good thing. Also having cats with small children is a bad idea for medical reasons. So what are the options for finding the cats a new place? I really think you should consider this seriously. To me your loyalty to the cats as a priority has to fall much lower on the list than financial independence, housing, food, family, new job etc.
We have asked around. No one out there could take the cats; everyone we know out here who we'd trust them with either has cats already, is allergic, or doesn't have room. As I said, we will NOT allow them to be separated (they're very close) or euthanized. That amounts to animal cruelty in our eyes, if we're just getting rid of them for our own convenience. Anyway, the cats aren't a big expense if we're not boarding them; total outlay on food and litter for a month is about $12 (they eat Target brand food, etc.) My mom agrees with us on this; she would never suggest we separate them or abandon them to a shelter, having three cats of her own.

As for being bad for a kid's health, nope. Having pets can actually be good for a kid's immune system and allergies, and we've trained the baby to stay away from the food and water and litter, as well as to give the kitties "nice touch" (we have used that as a keyword since she was 4 months old; she will immediately stop being rough and pet nicely if you tell her, "Nice touch, Emma!") The cats, especially the older one, love her, and come play or cuddle with her, and have NEVER approached her with claws outstretched or even nipped at her like they do us; they seem to realize that she's just a "kitten".

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
KQ,
I'm glad to hear that your issue is resolved. I had no advice or suggestions to add and couldn't bring myself to post sympathies without adding something useful.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm suprised how hard Jeff is finding it to get a job. Sales / admin assistant sounds fairly broad ...

It is, and it's mostly not sales at all, but more kind of a doing-whatever-needs-doing position. Jeff has a wonderful skill set-- and little experience, and no degree. People don't seem to be able to look past that out here, but out there, they seem to be willing to. Go figure. [Dont Know]

quote:
kq, is the city in your profile correct? Do you still live in Richardson TX right now?

Are you close enough to Dallas that he can drive there for work? (I'm not familiar enough with Texas geography)

Doing a quick search on Monster turned up 689 jobs in the "Administrative" category and more than 1000 in "Sales" in and around Dallas.

Having worked in the sales and marketing industry, I am pretty confident that a job in some sort of sales can be had nearly anywhere, and helping my mom with her human resources consulting business has given me a pretty good handle on the job search and hire process.

The problem is that no one wants Jeff for an admin assitant out here (not enough office experience) and every sales position he's interviewed for either wants more experience (he had a half a year as a car salesman while we struggled and struggled and struggled) or pays commission only (which we've learned is not something that works for us.)

We really feel that this job is the answer to our prayers, and a direct result of our paying tithing, so we need to go with it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Also, when Andrew and I moved down here from NYC 4.5 years ago, we saved a lot of money on our move. We rented a U-Haul and hired movers to load and unload it. We probably had more stuff that you (I'm guessing - we have a ridiculous amount of stuff), so you might not even need movers. Maybe you could get people from your church to help?

That's what we're doing, but Budget, not U-Haul (which is freakin' expensive.) We're packing our own things and people are coming from the ward to help load the few big things we have and carry boxes downstairs. And Jeff will be towing the car on a trailer; it's only an additional $35 to tow the car, as opposed to additional costs of me driving it.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I'm glad you have things resolved. If it helps any, I know a bit how you feel re your husband's job situation. When Mr. Opera lost his job, some people in my family just couldn't seem to believe that he couldn't find a job near our hometown *despite* his degree. He works in IT, which as you know is a hugely broad field, but we also had specific salary requirements, etc. We ended up picking up and moving 2 hours away and it ended up being a good decision. Some people in my family still resent us for the move, but we were the ones who had to pay the bills, and Mr. Opera was the one who would have had to go to work at a job he hated every day. Good luck! [Kiss]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Seriously, you'd be leaving behind whatever support network you have to live in a place where you have no history.

Actually, um, I lived there for 20 of my 22 years, have all my family, and a big chunk of my friends out there, and have contacts through the Church out there.

SO, thank you for the understanding and support. That's it on the nose. (Not that Jeff hasn't done work that he hated before to make ends meet; we both have. But I'd hate to commit him to something that wouldn't allow him a chance to go to school again eventually.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Resolved? Wonderful! But, how?
God is good, He sent an angel to us, and we're moving on schedule.

quote:
I think you've been spending too much time with Katie, and dropped a word.
What? Who? Me? Where? *looks around flabbergastedly*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

On the church welfare issue:

We've been there before, and know the limits and regulations. Our bishop holds to them very strictly, because he does not have a very big welfare budget; a lot of people are out of work in our ward right now.

The things that the church can help with are:

-Food. This is the thing that it's easiest to get help with, food and basic hygeine supplies. The Bishop's Storehouse is there for anyone who doesn't have money for food. We have accepted this help in the past and "paid" for it by working at the Storehouse and assisting others.

-Employment. Jeff has already completed the course the Employment Center offers in job-hunting and had them help with his resume. While these techniques have helped him "sell himself" and perfect his resume, none of the opportunities listed with them have actually worked out, either being filled by the time he learned of them, or not paying nearly enough.

-Rent and utilities on an emergency basis. When there is absolutely no other option (you are supposed to go to family first, if possible) the Church can help with rent and utilities, but not other expenses. We have accepted this help in the past as well, but it's something that takes resources away from other people in the ward, so it's hard for us to do that.

-Fast offering funds can also be used to pay counselling fees at LDS Family Services for those in need of therapy who can't afford it, although the availability of the LDSFS program varies in availability by region.

Knowing how tight our ward's budget is, we know that ward funds won't be able to cover something like this.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad this is all working out for you and your family, KQ.

Having met Jeff, I know I was really impressed with his sincerity, his manner and his intelligence. If I were in a position to offer him a job (like if I worked in H.R. of some place) I would hire him in a second. He seemed like a really great, thoughtful guy.

Glad he found something out in California, and I hope it gives him a chance to move up and on to even better things, because I certainly think he can live up to that.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
I think you've been spending too much time with Katie, and dropped a word.
What? Who? Me? Where? *looks around flabbergastedly*
I was wrong. I thought you meant to add a "not," but I see now that I was mistaken.

Have I mentioned recently how excited I am that y'all are moving out this way? *bounce*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, rivka, I'm excited, too.

Now the Lock of Love can be nearer its sisters. [Evil Laugh]

rivka
Member # 4859

O_O

*shaves head*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What's next, sackcloth and ashes?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I probably shouldn't mention that among certain groups of Orthodox Jews, married women shave their heads regularly.

And it's so hot and humid this week, I've actually been thinking about it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I actually knew that. Makes it easier to cover the hair completely or wear a wig, right?

But that's the kind of thing your kids might tease you about. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

That's part of the reason, yes.

And they didn't tease me last time.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Was your angel a jatraquero/a? [Wink] You're just being so secretive and it happened so suddenly that it makes me wonder.

Of course, if that person doesn't want you to tell, you don't have to.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My angel would prefer complete silence, including on the point of where I know her/him from. I will respect my angel's wishes. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
And they didn't tease me last time.
Well, they obviously haven't been properly brought up. [Wink] [Razz]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I can never seem to keep up with the changing rules for head covering (especially since I'm not Orthodox anymore). I remember there was a huge controversy when wigs became much more realistic looking - a friend of mine had just spent a fortune on a wig that she was told she could not wear. She hung onto it anyway and the rabbis eventually allowed them.

kq, I'm so glad that things worked out for you!

I can really relate to the moving for a job situation. Andrew's parents could not accept that academics have to take jobs wherever they can find them. Of course, they never got over him moving out of NYC. Even now that he's thinking of getting out of academia and doing testing consulting full-time, there are a limited number of places we can live. My mother-in-law flipped out when Andrew told her we might move to San Antonio.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothin' wrong with short hair. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My angel would prefer complete silence, including on the point of where I know her/him from.

Okay, I'm going to assume you've been helped by a Hatracker, then, and not a mob boss. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're assuming the two are mutually exclusive?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, don't you know your mouth is for eating?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused]

That sounds like a quote. However, Googling "your mouth is for eating" brings up some seriously nasty stuff. >_<

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The standard Sicilian response when when asked about the Mafia is, "This mouth is for eating."

And I don't even want to know what you found in google. [Angst]

Sorry about that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!]

Let's not bring the wrath of the Family down upon us, huh?

rivka
Member # 4859

What Google brought up had nothing to do with the Mafia.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I didn't even want to go there.

Thank you. :|

rivka
Member # 4859

I was quite careful NOT to go there.

Or to click on any of the links. >_<

Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great that everything got resolved. Moving always seems to cost more than it should.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I hope that google search didn't cost $99.99 a min.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused] No. And I think that you think that the stuff that Google brought up was rather different than what it actually did bring up . . .
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I had to google "your mouth is for eating" to see what rivka saw.

See what you made me do?

(and it wasn't all that shocking. Or unexpected.)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think you have your Google filters at a higher setting than I do.

Either that, or I was mostly shocked because I was half-expecting something mafia-related. Not Phelps-related.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...Phelps?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen...I'm so glad you were able to resolve your situation. It's always good to have more of the group out here in California.

And this is for your angel, whoever he or she is... [Kiss]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Phelps
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

rivka,
Yup, that was the kind of thing I got. And expected.

Golly. I'm sorry about the whole derailing of the thread business. Can I blame rivka? Dagonee?

Oh. Me?

Apologies. Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Hooray for the Ketchups! And Hooray for Angels!

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very glad it worked out! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have to admit now, I also googled it just to see what rivka got. [Blushing]

It really wasn't what I was expecting. Naughty rivka! Making us think we're going to find something really bad!

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it distasteful (if you'll pardon the pun) that this cretin resides in my home state. It's too bad that Phelps doesn't use his mouth exclusively for the consumption of food. If he confined the use of his mouth to eating, as opposed to spewing excrement from that orifice, we'd all be better off.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I also googled it. [Smile]

And the links I got were "really bad" in my opinion. Crude, rude and bigoted.

[Frown]

Glad to hear your situation has worked out, KQ. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And the links I got were "really bad" in my opinion. Crude, rude and bigoted.
Precisely.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. Well, I didn't actually click on any of them, and sure, they were bigoted.

I was just expecting something else. [Blushing]

(Actually, one link was what I expected, come to think of it.)

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I didn't agree with the stuff -- I think it is horrible and bigotted. But I have come to expect that, so I wasn't shocked.

Sadly.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.