FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Famous and gone too soon (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Famous and gone too soon
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Henson made awesome movies and his Storyteller series and Amazing Adventures were awesome. I borrowed the Storyteller DVD and totally watched the whole thing... which was probably close to 4 hours long.
Here are some interesting facts I found out about Jim.

quote:
Died the weekend he was going to sell his company to Disney

The Processional music at his funeral was the theme from "Sesame Street" (1969).

Was a good friend of George Lucas, who originally offered him the role of Yoda in Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980). He declined and suggested Frank Oz for the part.

Had been ill with walking pneumonia for several days before his death but never told anybody, not even his family, because, true to his character, he didn't want to be a burden to anybody. By the time he finally sought medical help, it was too late to do anything.

Now I remember hearing that he did go to the doctor but the doctor told him he was fine... of course I remember hearing that a looong time ago...

I'm excited about the New Dark Chrystal Movie coming out. [Smile]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought about it, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bob Marley yet.

Or maybe I missed it.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, I am sorely tempted to edit Bob Marley into my post, but I will not.

By the way, I must alert you to one of the neato-est musical groups i heard at grassRoots: Tinariwen, from Mali. Yowza!

http://www.eyefortalent.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/artist.detail/artist_id/59

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I made a choice earlier, but upon reflection, I'd like to reconsider.

Frank Zappa didn't die that early. At nearly 53, he had nearly twice as long as people like Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain. But considering the fact that he was one of the most prolific, versatile and gifted musical minds of the 20th century, any extra time he would have been granted would have been worth it. He'd still be alive today, and there's no telling what he'd have done in the last 12 years, other than the fact that it would have been revolutionary.

The ironic thing is that rock stars that die early usually die as a result of fast living. Drug overdoses, drunk driving, suicide, or some other effect of lives gone out of control. But Frank never did any drugs, including alcohol. He was an enigmatically sober and intelligent family man, a rock star whose wild ideas came totally naturally. He was politically and socially active, improving the world with more than just his music. And after living a remarkably healthy, happy and sane lifestyle, he was taken by cancer. Life is, truly, a bugger.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

By the way, Elizabeth, those dudes sound very interesting. They kind of remind me of X Plastaz (not so much with the music as with the background). Ever heard of them?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, I haven't heard of them.

When the recordings come out, I will send you a Tinariwen.

I am becoming more and more intrigued by African music these days. Oliver Mtukudzi, Samite, Mamadou Diabate. Now these guys.

It is amazing listening to African music, because its roots are the roots of so much of our music, yet it is so different.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oooh, I like them.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.