FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls aren't made of plastic... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Girls aren't made of plastic...
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this sounds somewhat crude, or if I'm breaking shocking news....

But girls are people too.... We have skin... and.. wait-wait! Get this: On the skin.... we grow hair! That's right... hair just like you, fellas!

So tell me... why is it that we have to shave and you don't??? I mean.... what's the big deal about hairy legs? Everything these days makes it sound so unnatural.....

And we can get acne just like you! So why do we have to cover it up and you don't?

And while I'm up here embarassing myself... PUT DOWN THE DAMN TOILET SEAT!! thank you.

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm best friends with 6 girls. Not one of them ever puts down the LID of the toilet when they come over. There's germs a plenty just flying all over my bathroom now.

I, on the other hand, always put the whole thing down.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about societal beauty standards is that you don't have to buy into them if you don't want to. We don't have to shave. I shave my legs maybe once every-other month, if I feel like it. I get zits regularly, and I don't cover them. If it bugs you, don't do it. If people give you crap about it, look them dead in the eye and ask how they figure it's any of their business. *shrug* Things change because you decide to change them, not because you decide to vent about them. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
We'll put the seat down, if after your done, you put it up so that it's easier for us when we come in next.

[Razz] [Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only are you not made of plastic, you have hands, too, which are perfectly suitable for changing the position of toilet seats. [Wink]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I check the seat. Every time. Even in the middle of the night. I have this vague memory of sitting on the rim once because one of my brothers left the seat up.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I just check the seat. So does my husband. And sometimes he leaves the seat up. And sometimes he doesn't. Eh. Whatever.

I simply don't care. Well, I care just a tiny bit. I wish we'd both remember to put the lid down all the time.

And I hate shaving my legs, too. But I much prefer the look and feel of when they're shaved... I just rarely bother.

I happen to think that all people should shave under their arms, definitely including guys. It would be a lot less smelly if they did.

I like wearing a little makeup. I like being girly every once in a while.

A little concealer now and then on a guy would probably be a good idea.

Sometimes I go out without any foundation, letting all of my varied blotchiness, dark circles, etc. show. I just shrug. Eh. I'm taken anyway. I don't need to impress YOU.

[Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope that a raised toilet seat is not a deal breaker in a relationship. If it is...hmm.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
How about this, I never even put the seat up, so I don't need to let it down. [Big Grin]

And as for the rest; You hereby have my permission to not shave and to not wear makeup.

I hope this makes you feel better.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why is it that we have to shave and you don't???
[ROFL] We just had this exact conversation at lunch -- six other ladies and I went to lunch together.

*sigh*

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get laser hair removal.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why is it that we have to shave and you don't???
I heard on NPR that leg shaving originated with prostitutes. Then regular woman wanted to be more appealing to their men, so they started to as well. Now it's expected.

I hate shaving my legs. When I go swimming, I shave. Other than that- I generally don't. I just wear pants. It's one of those things that society has so deeply entrenched in us. Intellectually, I think, "hey, this is ridiculous! Women shouldn't have to shave their legs when men don't." But any time I see an unshaved girl wearing shorts or a swimsuit, my first thought is, "eeeeeeew".

[Frown]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
But any time I see an unshaved girl wearing shorts or a swimsuit, my first thought is, "eeeeeeew".

[Frown]

Luckily, I am wearing a skirt. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love how girls' legs are so smooth and soft after they shave.

The same reason a lot of girls I know like clean shaven guys.

When you're close to someone, it's a lot nicer when everything is smooth.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't shave either.It's such a silly idea.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend won't shave. it annoys me to death. I mean, sometimes he does. But he didn't shave before we went to prom. I'm thinking, "If I spend $300 bucks to get hair done, buy a dress and shoes, put makeup on.... why can't you shave?" I mean, guys dont even buy the tux. they rent it. Is there a rent-a-gown anywhere in ohio? But on the concept of shaving... hmm, do you think if I told him I wouldn't kiss him unless he shaved every day, he'd do it? It might work...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, a decent tux rental often costs more than many girls spend on the dress . . . [Wink]

But he should have shaved.

As for girls shaving their legs, I think both shaved and unshaved legs are attractive, and am all for switching it up between the two.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, if girls were made of plastic they'd be even MORE smooth! Sweet!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So tell me... why is it that we have to shave and you don't??? I mean.... what's the big deal about hairy legs? Everything these days makes it sound so unnatural.....

Back at you. Why do you feel the need to shave? It's not because of pressure from me.

quote:
And while I'm up here embarassing myself... PUT DOWN THE DAMN TOILET SEAT!! thank you.
No. You leave it up. [Mad]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tinros, only do that if you're willing to break up with him over the issue. Ultimatiums are something to be very, very careful with. Only use them if you mean it.

(If a significant other refused to kiss me for an arbitrary reason, I would consider that the end of the relationship.)

Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
It all just comes down to what we as a society are taught is "sexy" or "appealing". I can't give any good reason why I perfer the look of shaven legs or shaven underarms on girls, I just do. I have a few friends who go for the "all natural" look, and I just don't find it attractive. If you are looking for a mate, then it helps to be conventionally attractive, just to get that initial attention. Once that has been accomplished, then I think other things like personality become more prominantly important. However, physical appearance is still a factor in any relationship. If you aren't attracted to someone, you aren't going to want to be physical with them, unless you are truly altruistic (and who can really claim they are).

So I suppose what I'm saying is that if it was considered attractive in our society to be 400 pounds, most people would strive for that weight, and skinny people would complain that they just can't put the pounds on, etc. So don't blame us men, we're all just big tools.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Back at you. Why do you feel the need to shave? It's not because of pressure from me.
Maybe not from you individually, but you have to be joking if you're claiming there's no societal pressure for girls to shave their legs.

And I'm not just talking about from potential mates. I could name, for example, two -female- high school teachers who gave lectures to the class, while staring straight at non-shaving me, about how it was gross and unhygenic for women not to shave their legs. (This was in Spanish and World History, by and by, not health class or anything like that.)

I was mortified. I'm a stubborn woman; I still don't shave. But I do wear opaque pantyhoes whenever I wear a skirt. . .because it's easier to hide than to deal with other people judging, especially when those people are surprisingly unhesitant to make their judgements known.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It all just comes down to what we as a society are taught is "sexy" or "appealing".
No it doesn't. It comes down to what you personally decide to consider sexy and appealing.

quote:
Maybe not from you individually, but you have to be joking if you're claiming there's no societal pressure for girls to shave their legs.

I'm claiming that I have never exerted pressure on anyone to shave their legs ever.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we are brainwashed from our childhood on what we find attractive.

Imagine finding this attractive, or the stretched earlobes of Borneo or the stretched necks of Burma attractive. You probably would were you raised in those cultures.

Edit: I like what Porter has to say on the subject. People should be able to decide what they find appealing in spite of what culture says rather than being "slaves" to it.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I shave my face every day because my wife hates it when it's scratchy.

Total altruism.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm growing a beard because my wife likes me with a beard.

Total altruism.

ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm claiming that I have never exerted pressure on anyone to shave their legs ever.
No one ever claimed you did, though. . .
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm a stubborn woman; I still don't shave
What color is your hair, ambyr?

I can get by with not shaving for a very long time, because I'm a redhead, so my leg hairs are very light, few and hard to see. But I know some women with very dark hair that feel they must shave constantly.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I guess she doesn't really care what an old married guy thinks about her legs.

Or you will be old tomorrow, anyway. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So if I go to my male friend's house and find the toilet seat up I return it to that position when I leave. *shrug* I figure it's just a courtesy.

Also a lot of girls around here don't shave. I prefer to shave my legs personally. Once I started there was no going back. Hair just doesn't seem to grow back the same way once it's been shaved. I find that hair on my legs tends to itch so I shave in the winter too. I think it should be noted that it is my preference though. I don't like getting those looks that say "oh no *she* bought into the social norm. Ugh conformist" In fact I also paint my toe nails *gasp* But it so I don't have to worry about them looking dirty all summer long not becaue I'm trying desperately to get guys. I do other things to do that err umm...*runs away

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I have very very dark hair and very very light skin. If I don't shave, I disgust *myself*. >.<
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think most of the societal pressure on girls for various "beauty" issues comes from other girls more than it does guys.

I do prefer shaved legs* but most am fine with girls who don't shave, as well. It's the stubble transitional point that isn't very good.

--Enigmatic
*didn't say whose legs.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

sarah, just so you know, if you wait it out the itchiness and the stubbliness goes away. Naturally, if you choose to shave your legs, that's cool, just wanted to let you know that you can pretty effectively "go back" to not shaving after you start. [Smile] You might find it worth it for the winter, at least.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like shaving, but I do it because I don't like the way it feels when the hair is growing and stubbly. I also have dark hair and really pale legs so it's very apparent when I don't shave; I don't like the way leg hair look on guys or girls who have pale legs and dark hair, so why would I like it for me? In my opinion it just makes the person look hairier, which is neither good nor bad, just an observation.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have very dark leg-hair which basically means I have to shave all the time (or I would have to). Because my hair is so dark I prefer to shave my legs although I'm not obsessive about it- to shave my legs every day (Which would be the only way to actually have the "hairless" look all the time) would cross the line for someone who doesn't wear makeup [Wink] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband likes it when I shave, I don't mind doing it, and I like it when he shaves, so it seems like a small sacrifice to make to be as attractive to him as possible. *shrugs* I don't see the big deal.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Both genders have a lot of stigmas.

I have a somewhat hairy chest that many women I've talked to are very turned off by (which isn't fair, it's not bad at all). They want smooth chests, or not too much hair. Most girls only have to worry about their legs and underarms. Many guys have to worry about everything above their waists. How's that for a trade off?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I like when my girlfriend shaves her legs because it is the opposite of what I am. I have really hairy legs she doesnt. If I wanted someone with hairy legs I would date a guy, and im not up for that.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy for a second that only guys put pressure on girls to shave their legs. It's absolutely rediculous. If anything, girls put more pressure on girls to do it. I hear much more about how not shaving "feels gross" than I do about how it "makes boys not like me." So, give it a rest.

And seriously, quit being selfish about the toilet. We have to pick up the toilet seat to pee after you leave it down. You have to put it down after we leave it up. Since guys never complain about having to put the seat up, who's being the insufferable jerk? And really, who gives a crap? Just move the seat.

And don't give me the "it's a matter of consideration" crap either. That's just a BS line you feed us because you need something to justify your anal-retentive behavior. If it were a matter of consideration, you would consider for a moment that both people have to shift the seat around to fit their personal hygenic needs and that demanding the toilet be in one position at all times is rather small-minded.

And don't try the "but I'm afraid I'll fall in at night." Here's an idea: turn the GD light on. We have to- unless you want us to pee all over your precious toilet seat in the dark since you left it down and we couldn't tell if it was up or down in the dark. Another alternative would be for us to feel if the toilet seat is up or down. There's an idea! Why don't you try it?

Seriously, the whole toilet seat thing is easily one of the most idiotic arguments in the world. It is easily solved by both people just shutting the toilet lid down after they are done. I'm talking about both the seat and the cover. That way both people have some kind of action needed at both the beginning and the end of their bidness. In the end, you both lose, but that's America, right?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You might find it worth it for the winter, at least.

Because there's nothing like a good, thick coat of glossy fur to keep a woman's legs warm in the winter?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're really annoyed by having to shave all the time, the obvious solution is to get a skin transplant with one of those spiffy new plastic fake skins. No hair, no fuss, no muss! All plastic and smooth! Don't wait, buy now - it's the American way!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

"But now that my girlfriend's moved in, I do my part to keep the apartment clean too. Now, when I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I turn on the light.
I used to just go by sonar."
--Comedian whose name I can't remember right now, but have on tape.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Girls aren't made of plastic...
. . . yet.

*rereads Chobits*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Of course, when you have a toddler, you have to keep the toilet *closed*. [Razz]

Equal-opportunity inconvenience.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that everyone should strive to get to a point where they don't care what anyone else thinks about their appearance. I know it's hard, but it gets somewhat easier with age. I'm at the point where I don't care how almost anyone thinks I look (the exceptions being Andrew and my mother).

I'm not saying that I don't like it when people think I look good, but it doesn't matter unless I think I look good. And I'm always going to be true to my personal idea of pretty - if not shaving your legs and wearing high-waisted capris came into fashion, I would keep right on shaving and wearing my lowrise full-lengths.

Instead of being upset about shaving and using cover-up, ask yourself why you feel the need to. Why do the opinions of others matter more to you than your own preferences?

As to the toilet seat - both the seat and the lid should be down when not in use. It's more sanitary. That's how we do it in my house and everyone wins because we're all cleaner.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure that girls always need the toilet seat down, and guys sometimes need the toilet seat down, so if the sexes are in equal number, the toilet seat's natural resting place is down.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
And that's why nobody will ever truly love you.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I'm not sure how that follows, but if you insist... [Dont Know]

(I suppose I can always get a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend, and then there will be no more squables about the toilet seat.)

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Jhai: Best reason for lesbianism EVER.

--Enigmatic

Jhai
Member # 5633

Oh, I can think of at least one other: smooth legs! [Razz]
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
So girls aren't made of plastic, but how about skinlike silicone?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.