FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls aren't made of plastic... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Girls aren't made of plastic...
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, so I'm not the only one who doesn't comform?? I really had no idea... And honestly I don't mind the whole toilet thing... cuz sometimes I pee without putting the seat down anyways >.>

Who the hell was it that decided that girls should shave anyways?? *shakes her fist angrily*

And Chobits aren't plastic.... I don't know what they're made of but it feels like skin...

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mrs. M on the position of the toilet seat and lid. It's more hygenic, and less likely that you will accidentally drop things in the toilet. Everyone has to lift something and put something down. Moreover, depending on where you live, if the lid is down less dust collects and sticks to the bowl, making it easier to clean.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As to the toilet seat - both the seat and the lid should be down when not in use. It's more sanitary.
Although it feels more sanitary to you, I am unconvinced that it really is.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm wrote:
quote:

Because there's nothing like a good, thick coat of glossy fur to keep a woman's legs warm in the winter?

Now I must wipe the coffee spray off my monitor.

As for Chobits, I'm sure they have plastic in em. They're robots after all. That anime reminded me of that identity theft commercial where the young man was talking out of the woman's mouth talking about how he got 10,000 dollars to finish his robot... his GIRL robot.

Back on the main topic... If you wax for a few years, your hair gets really fine and shaving becomes a breeze (and you can stop waxing)

I can never convence my hubby to leave the seat down, despite the fact he's the only one who needs the state of the toilet seat to change from one use to another. Maybe going lesbian is the solution. Who here was looking for a girlfriend?

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
As to the toilet seat - both the seat and the lid should be down when not in use. It's more sanitary.
We agree far too often these days, porter.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I really never understood the whole total seat thing. I grew up in a household where both the seat and lid were always down. Really, what's the point of the lid if it's never closed?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Studies have been done. If the seat is consistently closed before the toilet gets flushed, bacterial counts on exposed bathroom surfaces (not to mention toothbrushes) will be lower.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
This summer marked the first occasion in my 18 years of living with teenage boys. My roomies and I coexisted peacefully in the bathroom for awhile - I tried, unsuccessfully, to teach them to put the lid down, but after awhile I gave up. It wasn't worth the effort.

And then they stopped flushing. Apparently there's a saying floating around (and I apologize for the crudeness) that states, "If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow." They innocently repeated this to me, as if that was supposed to explain their behaviour, and somehow make it socially acceptable. I made my disgust and rage pretty obvious to them, and I haven't had much of a problem with it since. (Not trying to derail the thread here, but) ladies, have you had any similar problems with male cohabitants of your home?

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason men should put the seat down is because THEY are the ones who dribble on the rim, so THEY are the ones who should have to deal with lowering the seat . And GEEZ it'd be nice if they would WIPE UP the dribbles in the first place.

Actually I'm completely with the people who want the seat AND lid lowered when the appliance is not in use, preferably BEFORE flushing so miniscule bits of toilet detritus are not going everywhere... bliech

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My main bathroom cabinet is above the toilet. If I don't keep it closed, things fall out of the cabinet and right in there. That's disgusting. It is always fully closed.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Studies have been done. If the seat is consistently closed before the toilet gets flushed, bacterial counts on exposed bathroom surfaces (not to mention toothbrushes) will be lower.

Actually, they did this very test on Mythbusters and proved that it is, indeed, a myth.

The whole "there are studies" thing sounds just like something a bunch of control-freak chicks made up to get their way, since logic, persuasion, and ultimatums failed miserably.

Unless you'd care to document these "studies." [Razz]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm fairly certain that the toothbrush NOT falling in the toilet is more sanitary than the toothbrush falling in the toilet.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

And then they stopped flushing.

Um, icksville.

In certain desert climes, they have this saying:

"In this land of sand and sun, we don't flush for number 1."

Yeah, that pithy retort NEVER works for me. EWWWWWWWWW

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

well, on the local news they went into a new bathroom with a black light and showed viewers the bathroom. Then they added some extra phosphorescent stuff to the toilet bowl, flushed with the lid open and brought out the black light again. Their were bits of the phosphorescent stuff all over the counters and wall.

Good enough to convince me.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Nothing like local news to bring real science to the forefront of our nightly dose of sensationalism and general quackery.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sweet William:

Actually, they did this very test on Mythbusters and proved that it is, indeed, a myth.

The whole "there are studies" thing sounds just like something a bunch of control-freak chicks made up to get their way, since logic, persuasion, and ultimatums failed miserably.

Unless you'd care to document these "studies." [Razz]

Hmm. If I didn't have to leave soon for work, I'd try to track them down. I know I read one which did bacterial cultures over the course of a week or so, first under one set of conditions, and then the other.

Can you tell me exactly what they did on the Mythbusters episode you are citing?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:

I thought they proved that even a new toothbrush in a sealed container would end up with little bits of bacteria on it, not that the toothbrushes near the toilet didn't get anything on them. But I think the conclusion was that the bacteria was harmless, so putting the lid down before flushing didn't exactly save you from disease or anything.

Edit for rivka: They took a whole bunch of new toothbrushes and placed them all over the bathroom, and then they took one and sealed it in a container in a different room. I think the ones closest to the toilet had the most bacteria (though all the ones in the bathroom had some), but not even the one in the sealed container remained sterile.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There's no question that the vast majority of the bacteria that will be growing in your bathroom will not harm you. It's that 1-5% that cause mild (but avoidable) symptoms that I'd like to avoid.
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Well, now I must come clean. [Smile]

They tested whether a toothbrush left hanging, unprotected in one of those toothbrush thingys in the loo would have more or less e-coli than one left in a protected area (I think a closet or something).

The toothbrushes were both used daily (as a tool for brushing teeth, only) and returned to their respective "receptacles."

The in-loo brush had no discernible e-coli, likewise the control brush had no discernible e-coli.

Not exactly a refutation of the "there were studies" comment. But whatever, call bullshit on me if you must.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In certain desert climes, they have this saying:

"In this land of sand and sun, we don't flush for number 1."

And in the movie Meet The Fockers the saying was:
"If it's yellow, let it mellow; If it's brown, flush it down"

[Smile]

How on earth did we ge to this topic? [Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
Nothing like local news to bring real science to the forefront of our nightly dose of sensationalism and general quackery.
quote:
Hey if it is on the news it is real!
So you must be assuming it was a set-up and what they showed was false, since hey it was only the local news [Roll Eyes] Please show me where I implied it was real science vs a convincing demonstration?

Hey, they also did a spot using the same method with black lights and dust to show how effective or ineffective hand washing can be when someone simply rinses their hands, washes them briefly with soap, or takes time to lather and rinse well. But since it was ONLY the local news, clearly it was just a set-up, so I'll just go back to rinsing.

They also did a spot on how many children get into toxic substances when household chemicals are kept under the sink rather than in a more secure place like high up in a locked cabinet. But gee, it was ONLY the local news not REAL science, I'll just go back to keeping my bleach and liquid plumber under the sink. Clearly they had ulteriormotives and it was all a set up.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
The in-loo brush had no discernible e-coli, likewise the control brush had no discernible e-coli.

That's not what I remember. I remember them all testing positive for fecal coliform bacteria.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Link
quote:
The Myth: (in Adam's own words) "The idea behind this myth is the bristles of a wet toothbrush are an ideal collection surface for things like airborne bacteria."

The Experts:
Heather Joseph-Witham says that some people believe you shouldn't leave your tooth brush in the bathroom, particularly next to the toilet. Dr. Joanne Engel - Microbiologist from UCSF - tests all of the toothbrushes for Fecal Coliform bacteria

Quotable Moments:
Jamie: There's poo everywhere!

Action/ Results: Adam builds two toothbrush racks in the bathroom. They hang twenty-four toothbrushes in the racks. Then, every day for a month, Adam and Jamie go in, wash their hands with antibacterial soap, then wet each toothbrush, put toothpaste on each one, then rinse each one out with distilled water. They also leave two toothbrushes in a glass on the top of the toilet, and they actually brush their teeth with those. They also have two toothbrushes that they keep in the office, away from the bathroom. These also get the wetting, toothpaste, rinse treatment. They also keep track of how much business goes on in the bathroom for that month.

At the end of the month, Dr. Engel comes over and tests each toothbrush for fecal coliform by rubbing them on a Petri dish and in some broth. She incubates the dishes and the test tubes, and then shows the guys that all of the toothbrushes, including the two in the office, had fecal coliform on them. Myth true - fecal coliform bacteria do grow in toothbrush bristles.

However, when Adam askes if we should be concerned about this, Dr. Engel says no.

mimsies
Member # 7418

No I don't! I almost never watch the news, local or otherwise. Well, I hardly watch any TV. We have one local station with Deanna Sauceda. If she is scheduled to do an interesting spot, I usually try to watch it. She does lots of good bits on things related to health and safety.
smartguy
Member # 8451

- posted      Profile for smartguy   Email smartguy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard on NPR that leg shaving originated with prostitutes
False, leg shaveing originated during world war two. with all the men gone they had to find a new market.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
To the person who asked, my hair is a middle brown.

To all the toilet seat debaters: Personally I'm a fan of closing the lid, because I'm clumsy and drop things in there if I don't, but if you're not going to do that I can see both the male and female sides of the issue.

However.

Can anyone explain why the toilet seat in the women's restroom at my office always ends up left up? Men accidently wandering in? Space aliens?

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The cleaning staff. The clean the outside first, then the inside, and leave the seat up for it to dry off.
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
That would explain the morning, but in the middle of the day. . .?

Well, if they clean it that often, I feel much more sanitary, I suppose.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I run into the cleaning staff in the bathroom at all times during the day. It's kind of bizarre.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
When they clean they might leave it up?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by smartguy:
False, leg shaveing originated during world war two. with all the men gone they had to find a new market.

This sounds like a far more likely explanation to me.
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to shave or wax my legs religiously like my life depended on it. I have a lot of leg, and a lot of hair, so this was always such a chore. Now I just don't. I am way too busy, and barely have time to sit for a meal let alone spend an hour on removing leg hair. My boyfriend actually prefers au natural, which is a good thing cause I think most men would totally be grossed out with my leg hair situation.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hey Sandy.
NdRa
Member # 2295

Hey Glynn.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

How's it crackin'?
NdRa
Member # 2295

Good. I have a moment’s time to do whatever I want on the internet, so I figured I would publicly admit to having the hairiest pair of legs living along the California beaches. How you doin?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm fine. Did you know I'm married with child now? I can't remember the last time we chatted.

Speaking of hair. I have an asymmetrical patch of hair on my back.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Is it shaped like anything cool? And how dense is it? Is it just a collection of wispy hairs, or is it a swatch of man-fur?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
NdRa, good to see you!

I don't necessarily buy the WWII-Returning-GIs explanation of leg shaving. It could be where the practice came from in this country, but it's not like there isn't a long history of leg depilation (and body depilation in general, especially for women) in ancient Greek, Egyptian, and Roman cultures.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Definitely man-fur. It's dark and thick enough to see at a distance. It's shaped like a blob and only appears on the lower left part of my back (up about 4-6 inches from my butt). The hair itself is quite soft, actually.

Now my chest hair, that's shaped like an upside-down star. A little creativity, and I could be the antichrist or something.

NdRa
Member # 2295

I remember you were expecting a child. Congrats Glynn! I am now an apprentice at a private detective agency and my boss just walked in. I don't have nearly as much downtime as I did working as a web developer. Internet time is so precious now. induceATgmail.com Dude, shoot me an email.
NdRa
Member # 2295

*waves at Noemon*
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Email: Done

So, do you live in the guest house of a huge mansion and drive around in a cherry Ferrari?

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I (okay, my girlfriend) saw a flaw in their methodology.

They used the same tube of toothpaste, and touched the toothpaste tube to each toothbrush. All of their toothbrushes were cross-contaminated!

I like Mythbusters, but sometimes they miss stuff.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I now have the sudden urge to get a new toothbrush and preserve it in alcohol.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

I'm into cross-contamination.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I clean the bathrooms, so I think it's only fair that I get to dictate the state of the toilet seat and lid.

I also change our toothbrushes every month and boil them every week.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha!
quote:

Avadaru said:
"If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow." They innocently repeated this to me, as if that was supposed to explain their behaviour, and somehow make it socially acceptable.

Water conservation!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
The lid down/seat down/up discussion gets resolved really fast once you have young kids. I'm talking about that 2-5 age group that waits as long as possible to go to the bathroom and then runs headlong to use the toilet.

If the lid is down, they have an accident while trying to lift it. If the lid is down and they DON'T NOTICE, it gets messy. If the seat is up, they fall in. Seat down, lid up is the only way to go. [Wink]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please get back on topic.

Who here is a lesbian?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.