FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite break up song? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's your favorite break up song?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're on the theme of romantic movies and songs, I thought I'd ruin it by asking about your break up songs. (I watched VH1's '100 most Awesomely Bad Break up Songs' the other night, so I have a few in my head.)

We all have them. Which songs did you listen to over and over and over and over...which songs did you wish you had written because they perfectly described your broken relationship?

Mine?

Foolish Games by Jewel. I know, give me a break. I was in college in the late 90s.
Take a Look at Me Now Phil Collins
Always Be My Baby by Maraiah Carey. For those in denial.
To Love you More Celine Dion. For the jealous types who are also in denial.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Song for the Dumped by The Ben Folds Five
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Oingo Boingo's "Go Away"

Everytime I see you now it makes me feel so bad
Reminds me of the memories I wish I never had

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That whole entire Chicago album that I promised myself I would never listen to again after an unfortunate weekend my sophomore year of college.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al's "One More Minute" [Razz]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I had an entire mix tape that I had pathetically made full of love songs and break up songs that reminded me of this one guy.

Wait. I did that twice. Two different guys. For some reason I just liked to wallow and wallow and I'd listen to tapes like that over and over again. Yuck.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I love Weird Al relationship songs. "Melanie" and "I was Only Kidding" are two of my very favorites. [Smile]

When I told you I loved you, baby
When I said that I really cared.
When I told you that I can't live without you
that I'd follow you anywhere...

I was only KIDDING!

[ROFL]

beverly
Member # 6246

Heh, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I had a tape that was all about being happy to be out of a bad relationship. I would listen to it all the time after getting out of the *really* bad one.

Songs like "I Saw the Sign" and "Victory" (by some 80's alternative band I can't recall.)

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
No Need to Argue by the Cranberries
Lover, You Should Have Come Over by Jeff Buckley

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

See bev, I guess you're just a more positive person. My tapes were always meant to help me 'think of that person' *barf* and they ended up depressing me. [Big Grin]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Not specifically a break-up song, but more generally about not being able to get/keep a relationship: Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend by The Mr. T Experience.

He was the worst guy ever,
Reviled and despised.
But even Hitler had a girlfriend
So why can't I?
Why can't I?

Oh! And for people asking about your sig.other after a break-up there's The Vandals' My Girlfriend's Dead.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hardest Part of Breaking Up is Getting Back Your Stuff - I forget who

Engimatic, My Girlfriend's Dead is a good one.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Vandals have a lot of good relationship songs. The New You is also appropriate for this thread.

Every time I call the Old You,
The New You answers the phone.
I just want to talk to Old You,
But New You says you're not home.

I also second the Weird Al songs previously mentioned.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Narnia, there was no need to wallow over that particular relationship. I ended it, and I never regretted ending it once.

But I also tend to hate myself when I am wallowing, so while I may wallow in some ways, I don't do it musically for some reason. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Here I Go Again on my Own" by Whitesnake.

I know, give me a break. I was in college in the late 80s. [Wink]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Heart by Phish
I Feel Free by Cream
Both are very liberating.

Also two excellent breakup albums are Led Zeppelin I (for the "good riddance; women are evil" type of breakup) and "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" by Derek and the Dominoes (for the wistful "please come back to me" type of breakup). After each of my two most major breakups of my college years I went on a roadtrip, and I just happened to have Zeppelin I on the first trip and Layla on the second. They fit the mood perfectly, and are still on the top of my list for perfect musical choices.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
How about I'll Stick Around, by the Foo Fighters?

*sings* I don't owe you anything, I don't owe you anything...

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Untouchable Face by Ani Difranco. Great song by a great song writer that was in my cd player all the time after my last break up and will most likely be played alot through my divorce as well.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a breakup. But while a really, really close and important friendship was falling apart, I listened to Guster's "Either Way" quite a bit.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Song for he Dumped by Ben Folds.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
"Gunning Down Romance" by Savage Garden. Hey, I was born in 88, I have a right to like things like that. But it's true...

I'm gunning down romance
It never did a thing for me
but heartache and misery
ain't nothing but a tragedy

etc., etc., about how love is only a chemical reaction in your brain and stuff like that. For those who are in denial but are masking it with the tough person attitude.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The most classic breakup song ever: Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."

The most cheesy, overplayed breakup song ever: Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird."

Edited to add: bev, Ace of Base?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
"Did you ever really love me?" as sung by Nikki French.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I Saw the Sign was definitely Ace of Base. Not sure about Victory, though.

I like Jamie Cullum's version of Lover, You Should Have Come Over. I've been listening to his Twentysomething album the last few days.

As for my songs, Hit the Road, Jack and I'm Still Alive rank pretty highly.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. Good calls, Goody.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie Lennox is always good. . .

The Saddest Song I've Got - "There's nothing left to say/said it anyway"
Pavement Cracks - "I would have done anything/for happiness to bring"

. . .or Tori Amos. . .

Northern Lad - "I love his secret places/But I can't go anymore"
Baker Baker - "Well I ran from him in all kinds of ways/Guess it was his turn this time"

. . .or, for humor and sarcasm, Barenaked Ladies.

Told You So - "I had myself fooled into needing you/Did I fool you, too?"
Leave - "How am I supposed to remember you/When you won't let me forget?"

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Matchbox 20 songs work as good breakup songs.
"Push"
"Bed of Lies"
"The Difference"
ect.

But besides that I've gotta say "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Guns and Roses ranks pretty high.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
"Die Die My Darling" by The Misfits
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
"I will survive" Good old Aretha Franklin (spelling?)
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie Nicks "Silver Springs" -- just enough bitterness!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
"Clear to You" - Innocence Mission
"You Know What I Mean" - Phil Collins
"I Think I'll Disappear Now" - Crash Test Dummies
"Taking Over Me" - Evanescence
"I Can't Make You Love Me" - Bonnie Raitt
"Ghost" - Indigo Girls
"Go It Alone" - Beck
"Let 'Er Rip" - Dixie Chicks
"How Beautiful You Are" - The Cure
"I Don't Mind At All" - Bourgeois Tagg

...to name a few.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
"Broken Hearted Savior" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters...
Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fly" by Moxy Früvous came immediately to mind.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

arevoj, "Ghost" doesn't seem to be a break up song. *sniffle* That one's so sad, I love it.

I've listened to U2's "All I want is You" as a break up song. I love the lyrics to that.

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, as far as pissed-off "I'm glad you're gone" kinda break-up songs, I've always been partial to "Overwhelming", "Now That It's Over", and "The New Disease" by Everclear. *grin*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Break, break, break by Tennyson.

I never broke up with anyone, I never had anyone to break up with. But thanks for the ideas! [Smile]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Just about every song these two guys ever sang:

Dwight Yoakum and Chris Isaak

I swear if either of those two ever have a relationship that works out, then their career will be over.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's spelled "Gloria Gaynor."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" is Poison, not GnR.

Obscure Break Up Song Choice: "Tea and Sympathy", Jars of Clay

Weird Al suggestions are greatness, as is "Love Stinks" by the J Geils Band

Jo Dee Messina's "My Give a Damn's Busted" can be very liberating

Keri Noble has several excellent ones for every situation from "I can't believe you have to move away" ("Piece of My Heart"), to "I really regret letting go" ("Dream About You"), to "I'm glad you're gone" ("Let It Rain"), to the only really tender "I'm just not sure I'm ready for a serious commitment" song I know of ("About me")

But my favorite is a little self-serving: I helped write a very good one called "Somehow". When we played it just right live, there would be several seconds of dead silence (the good kind) followed by wild applause. It was cool.

Somehow
Lee Caropresi and Jim Scott

I've been thinking 'bout
A girl that I once knew
She said I was the only one

And I can't figure out
What I'm gonna do
'Cause it seems the light is gone

But I will make it through, somehow

I remember when
I last saw her face
It keeps me hangin' on

But it's so lonely in
This cold and weary place
I feel I can't go on

I've been driving by
The place we used to live
Feels like holy ground

I've pleaded with the sky
Gave all I could give
To make her come around

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always burst into tears whwn I listen to Billy Joel's "And So it Goes." It's absolutely beautiful and absoultely sad. So, good if you're into melancholic break ups.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Empty Chairs and Empty Tables," from Les Mis.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me, you can't post a whole song on this forum! There's a dude named The Analog Kid that's going to sue us now!
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Apparently strict copyright adherence isn't being practiced here any more. [Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] at Speed

If he hadn't taken a copyrighted name, he might have a leg to stand on [Razz]

Annie... very good choice.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
"O Haupt" by JSB.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Figured You Out by Nickelback
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
created a playlist with The Cure, Bright Eyes, and Dashboard Confessional with some additional songs from The Ataris and Jimmy Eat World and then hit the random button. - However, these songs don't exactly make me feel ecstatic about life, so I have to use in moderation.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the: "I've been driving by / the place we used to live" bit. That's nice.

The classic for me is Pearl Jam's Black: "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life / I know you'll be a star / in somebody else's sky / buy why, why, why can't it be mine?"

Also Tool's H: "The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been / my blood before me begs me open up my heart again."

Ben Folds' Gone: "I know that you went straight to someone else / while I worked through all this s*#%! here by myself."

A Perfect Circle's Passive: "Why can't you turn and face me? / You f@#*ing disappoint me / Passive-aggressive bulls*#%!"

I actually find the first Linkin Park record decent for this purpose. Once after a breakup I found myself living alone in the middle of nowhere, so I learned to scream along to some of the songs on that record. It was very theraputic. I like to listen to angry music after breakups.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's spelled "Gloria Gaynor."

*laugh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.