FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite break up song? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What's your favorite break up song?
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheryl Crow My Favourite Mistake
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Does "Good Bye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks count?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* (to Tinros) That's more than a break up song. That's a total revenge song ending in DEATH!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

still, if it makes you feel better... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a creepy one, there's also the Foo Fighter's Walking After You (yes, I'm listening to alot of Foo Fighters these days).

If you walk out on me
I'm walking after you...

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
kojabu- "The Hardest Part of Breaking Up...is getting back your stuff" is by 2gether. They were an MTV created boyband for a mockumentary, and their music was so popular that I heard they became a real boyband after that. Anyway....

I second that nomination, and add:
"You're Pretty Good Looking...for a girl" by the White Stripes. It's just a good I don't need you anymore kind of breakup song.

For the more bitter breakup, anything by Brand New, especially their album that starts with "the Bullet or the Chapstick." It's very bitter against girls, but it works for general breakup rage against guys, too.

A great one in general is "Swing Swing" by the All American Rejects

For the I feel used breakup *ashamed to admit I like this song* "Behind These Hazel Eyes" by Kelly Clarkson

And my favorite breakup song of all time:
"Why Bother" by Weezer
quote:
Maybe we can get together.
Maybe you can break my heart next summer.

Why Bother? It's gonna hurt me.
It's gonna kill when you desert me...

[ August 04, 2005, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: not hansenj ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Haligh Haligh a Lie Haligh by Bright Eyes
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more, for when you know its your fault as well:
VAST - Pretty When You Cry
"I didn't really love you. Didn't really love you, baby. But I'm pretty when I lie."

Korn - Trash
"I tell my lies and I despise every second I'm with you.
Then I run away and you still stay, so what the f*** is with you?"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hit the Road, Jack
Don't You Ever Come Back
No More, no more, no more, no more . . .

or what about

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover . . .
(slip out the back, Jack
make a new plan, Stan
don't need to be coy, Roy . . . )

*evil grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Bowling for Soup's "Life After Lisa" is not so bad at all...

"And now there's
No more
long hair clogging up the drain
No more
mountain climbing in the rain
No more
life'll never be the same
Life after Lisa is not so bad at all..."

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm amazed at how many of these bands I have never heard of. Hatrack's listening practices are very eclectic. I like it. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Song for the Dumped by Ben Folds Five

Wish I hadn't bought you dinner
Right before you dumped me on your front porch
Give me my money back
Give me my money back, you b----
I want my money back
... and don't forget my black T-shirt

At concerts, they throw black t-shirts at him. Hilarious!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remembered one! "The Old Apartment" by Barenaked Ladies.

Broke into the old apartment
Tore the phone out of the wall
Only memories, fading memories
Blending into dull tableaux

Actually, I haven't done purposeful break up songs for a long time, but last time I did, it was Jagged Little Pill for three or four days. That was pretty effective.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I skimmed through the thread and I don't think this has been mentioned.

Tina Turner: I Don't Wanna Fight

I don’t care who’s wrong or right
I don’t realy wanna fight no more (too much talking babe)
Let’s sleep on it tonight
I don’t really wanna fight no more (this is time for letting go)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
My new favorite artist, Anna Nalick has a great one called "Wreck of the Day."

Love doesn't hurt,
So I know I'm not falling in love.
I'm just falling to pieces

My husband loves the Weird Al ones. Not that he needs them anymore! But he's still amused by them.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh... "Good" by Better Than Ezra
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always TMBG's Twisting, or the Beatles' I'm Looking Through You and For No One
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
My husband loves the Weird Al ones. Not that he needs them anymore! But he's still amused by them.
That's what's great about the Weird Al songs. Even if they don't fit your situation any more, they're still hilarious.

In fact, I wouldn't find them funny if I was actually breaking up. They're only funny after the fact. [Big Grin]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about this one:

Jim Croce: "One Less Set of Footsteps"

If that's the way that you want it
That's the way I want it more
There'll be one less set of footsteps
On your floor in the mornin'

::A fan of Croce's from back when he was alive and playin'::

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Skunk Anansie - Weak as I am
Scooter - Break it up
Sinead O'Connor - Thank you for hearing me

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh yeah! And then there's ABBA. [Big Grin]

Take a Chance on Me A pathetic way to say 'you can come back whenever you get tired of your NEW girlfriend.'

Knowing me and Knowing you Because we just have to face it, this time we're through.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
ABBA! Love it! My roommate once wrote a sonnet about her favorite Swedish pop band. Guess what the rhyme scheme was? [Big Grin]

And I was listening to one of my neglected Shakira albums this morning and realized I had forgotten what a fabulous break up song "Si Te Vas" is. Its basic message is "you're leaving me for that hag?"

Here's the best of it:
Si te vas, si te vas, y me cambias
Por esa bruja, pedazo de cuero
No vuelvas nunca mas
Que no estaré aquí

Toda escoba nueva siempre barre bien
Luego vas a ver desgastadas las cerdas
Cuando las arrugas le corten la piel
Y la celulitis invada sus piernas

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the most heart-wrenching break-up songs I've ever heard are ABBA "Winner Takes It All" and Barenaked Ladies "The Wrong Man Was Convicted".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Annie, of course Shakira can write a song like that. [Smile] Everyone's a hag compared to her!

Ah, I forgot about that one beverly:

Tell me, does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?

Good one!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot my post college breakup songs by Erasure - Oh L'Amour and Who Needs Love Like That.

Plus there was always Tainted Love when I knew I should break up but hadn't.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah, I love Erasure. [Smile] There's I Love to Hate You and Don't Say Your Love is Killing Me by them. From the latter:

You thought I was nothing
Before you stepped into my life.
I thought you were clever
But love's gonna take a man
and you haven't got it in ya!

I just remembered Brand New Lover by Pet Shop Boys. Probably the cruelest and rudest break up song ever, but I love it!!

elviiis
Member # 7382

- posted      Profile for elviiis   Email elviiis         Edit/Delete Post 
Girlfriend in a Coma. Do you really think she'll pull through?

-Smiths

I put this one in the "hypothetical break-up" songs. I would brake up with you, but you're in a coma. I'm not sure where that puts our relationship.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Gabrielle - Rise

I know that it's over
and I can't believe we're through
they say that time's a healer (yeah)
and I'm better without you
it's gonna take time I know
but I'll get over you
(chorus: look at my life
look at my heart
I have seen them fall apart
now I'm ready to rise again
jus look at my hopes
look at my dreams
building bridges from these scenes
now I'm ready to rise again)

Mornful and hopeful all at the same time!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Eamon - F*** it (I don't want you back) [ROFL]

Has a lot of bad language, but hey, break-ups are rarely fun, so what the heck?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Devine's You think you're a man

You think you're a man but you're only a boy
You think you're a man but you're only a toy
You think you're a man but you just couldn't see
You weren't man enough to safisfy me.

Truly the king of 80s drag queen music.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
John Entwhistle:

When I'm feeling blue
I just stick a pin in the picture of you
and I feel better.

The all time best, though, is by Harry Nilsson. So straight and to the point:

You're breakin' my heart.
You're tearin' it apart
So f*** you!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Bob, if you look at Eamon's lyrics you'll see he's as direct as Harry Nilsson's song. And now I have to get that one too! [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine would be "I Know Him So Well" from "CHESS", the musical. Wow... a great song. Two women singing about a man they both love but can never have. Music by ABBA and lyrics by Tim Rice. Totally my song.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Boyfriend #1: "Where were you when I needed you" by the Bangles. "The feelings I felt I don't feel any more for you, this time I'm leaving open the door for you.."

Boyfriend #2: I'll set you free. Also by the Bangles. "I remember words that fell like coins into a wishing well."

Is "I know him so well" sung by two women? I thought the show was about one woman trying to pick between two men. I've heard it live at an Elaine Page concert. I don't know the title, but I like the other one from Chess that winds up with "And if that girl I knew should ask my advice, I wouldn't hesitate she needn't ask me twice: 'Go now' I'd tell her that for free, trouble is the girl is me."

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck ya Mothertree! I actually performed in CHESS back in '94, Dearborn Players Guild. Time of my life.

CHESS is about the US vs the USSR, just before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Florence, woman from the US Chess Team falls in love with Anatole from the Russian Team. He defects from the USSR to join her and she leaves her abusive lover Eddie, the US chess champion...a copy of Bobby Fisher. When she leaves Eddie she sings "Someone Elses Story"/"And if that girl I knew should ask my advice..." But then we find out that Anatole is actually married....and that Florence's long lost father is being held as ransom to get Anatole back. The US champion, Eddie, secretly joins forces with the KGB & CIA to sabotage Florence and Anatole's relationship. Finally Florence sees some bad traits in Anatole too.. his obsession over Chess and winning... culminating in her visiting his wife, Svetlana... and together they sing "I Know Him So Well".

Things go downhill from there... it's kinda like Les Miserable... everyone either dies or is rent apart from each other. Florence and Anatole break up... Eddie tries one last time to blackmail them both using CIA and KGB info (both governments don't like Florence and Anatole's actions) and also try and win Florence back...only to have them both cast him away (there are some bi tendencies in Eddie) to his despair. Anatole leaves his wife for good...only to sacrifice the final Chess tournament to try and get Florence's father back as part of a deal with the Russian government. Turns out it's all a ruse by the CIA and KGB... the man who was supposed to be Florence's father is actually an American agent and Anatole is taken back behind the Iron Curtain... leaving Florence all alone.

[ August 18, 2005, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. I love the music from Chess but I had no idea that it was such a complex story...with such a crappy ending!
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Mulvey's "If Love is Not Enough"

If love is not enough then what's enough? can you hear me?
I'm sick of the burns I've got on my body from all the perfectly good loves exploding near me
What else can I say? what else can I say?
If love is not enough then we will go on loving anyway

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthrax - NFB

quote:
You left me standing in the mud
Crying to myself
A heart so full of pain
But we fell in love again
This time forever
True love prevails over all
She got hit by a truck

and

The Mr. T Experience - My New Girlfriend

quote:
My new girlfriend is better than you
she's got bigger breasts and a higher IQ

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Is it sad that I went and downloaded half these songs after reading about them? I'm pathetic...
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. It's healthy. Wallow in it for awhile, and then get over it. Trust me, I've been through a lot of break-ups. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp! You were in Chess! OMG I Hate you! I listened to that eeeeendlessly in high school. I could probably sing it from beginning to end now (if I could sing anyway.)

I always wanted to see it performed... and never did....

Pix

(note: This is my 3004th post. 3004 was my phone number at my first job where I had a phone. Too bad I JUST did a landmark.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
"stupid kid"
by alkaline trio

"remember when I said
I love you well
forget it I take it back
I was just a stupid kid back then
I take back every word that I said"

"fine without you"
by alkaline trio

"I'll be just fine without you"

and the top break up song

"she took him to the lake"
by alkaline trio

"but then she went away
and she's not coming back
and I'm pretty sure that boy's stayin in tonight"

I HIGHLY recommend download these songs and tons of others by alkaline trio

they are my favorite band ever
and I believe them to be incredible

some songs do use harsh language

but they're amazing

ok I'll disengage fanboy mode now

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
In Sadding Around

quote:
Sleeping off the last five years takes another five.
Recovery in lieu of being here right now.
When I throw myself at your feet,
You know it's to be walked on.
We're breaking up every single night.

Fireman

quote:
Dreamed I was a fireman.
I just smoked and watched you burn.
Dreamed I was an astronaut.
I shot you down like a juggernaut.
Dreamed we were still going out.
Had that one a few times now.
Woke up to find we were not.
It's good to be awake.

Sluttering (May 4th)

quote:
I'd saw through your wrist to find a better trap that fits.
I'd saw through your traps to find a better you.
A part of you that lasts.
I saw through your trap and into my own wrists.
Saw we were through, red ribbons spill to blue:
A sight to sore your eyes.

Sea Foam Green

quote:
We met in rain, you asked me in.
Seemed like a good sign.
Now I need a guillotine
to get you off my mind.

All by one of my favourite bands, Jawbreaker.

I also really enjoy Stupid Kid. It is very appropriate for a relationship I had in high school.

Alkaline Trio have been pretty influenced by Jawbreaker in some of their older stuff so if you like them, you should check out Jawbreaker.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "I will always love you" by Whitney Houston?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you're not already broken up with that one, you're about to be! {shudder}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Misunderstanding - Phil Collins (Genesis) actually "Duke" is basically a breakup album.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
It is definitely "Separate Ways" by Journey.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really about breaking up, per se, but I always think of The Cure's "Burn" from the Crow Sountrack:

"'Just paint your face,' the shadows smile,
slipping me away from you..."

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Positively 4th Street by Bob Dylan

"You've got a lot of nerve
To say you are my friend.
When I was down you just stood there grinning."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The Beatles - Run For Your Life

quote:
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.