FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puter problems! HELP PLEASE!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Puter problems! HELP PLEASE!!!
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in desperate need some help from some of the computer experts here. [Confused]
I just moved across town. At my old place my computer was absolutely the last thing I moved. I was hooked up to cable internet at the apartment. At the new place I decided to go with DSL. I unhooked my computer at the old place, brought it to the new place, hooked it up and downloaded the DSL stuff... no luck... I called the yahoo DSL helpline. After much time on the phone the guy tells me that the problem is not in the server it is somewhere in my computer. He says that it shows that I am connected but my computer won't open any internet pages. This doesn't make any sense to me because the internet was working just fine before I unplugged it and brought it to the new place. So I call the cable company and try and get cable internet again. I even pay the extra seventy bucks to have the technician connect me. Same results. When you go into my computer it shows that I am connected but I can not get a page to come up. The technician even used my Norton Go-back and still nothing...

SO.. any ideas as to what could possibly be the problem? I mean I literally made my last goodbye's on my IM and unhooked the computer. So the internet was working fine, and now.. nuttin' [Dont Know]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'm not sure how to fix that (but I'll bump this to the top of the page so others can see it). Just to get more information about the problem, you may need to try "ping".

For the moment, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. Open the start menu, go to run, and type
code:
cmd

and hit enter. A DOS prompt window should come up. At the DOS prompt, type
code:
ping www.google.com

and hit enter again. After a breif pause, one of three things should appear:

"ping could not find the host specified," (or something along those lines)

OR

code:
Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.167.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

OR

code:
Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.167.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.147: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=240
Reply from 64.233.167.147: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=240
Reply from 64.233.167.147: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=240

If you get the third option (the numbers may be different, but that's not important right now), it means you're connected to the internet, but there's something wrong with your broweser.

I don't think I can help you any more than that... so this is a *bump*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What type of DSL modem do you have, and what lights are on on it (give me the names of the lights), and what are those lights doing (color, any blinking, et cetera)?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess that you're not using a router between your computer and your DSL modem, in which case it's probably something to do with your DHCP/DNS settings.

Go to the command prompt (same instructions as for pinging Google above) and type:
code:
ipconfig /all

Copy and paste the output here, and we'll see what we can do. To copy from the command prompt, hit the icon in the upper-left corner of the command prompt window (in the title bar) and select Edit->Mark. Then just click and drag around the text you need to copy and hit enter.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
or if its your DMZ find out your machine IP is 192.161.X and goto your DMZ on the .X and click enable you should have no probs.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I am going to print out what you all have suggested and take it home and try it... or rather try and decipher it...lol

I'm not sure off-hand what the lights are on the front of the DSL modem... power, broadband, and somthing???

I do know that when I go into internet options and check LAN settings (I think???) it shows that I am connected... and both the DSL technician and the cable guy said that they were showing I was connected.

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. IPCONFIG /ALL is your friend. It will tell you whether you're getting an IP address, and whether you see any Internet gateway.

Copy this info as Bekenn suggests and we can start working through this one.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

If I remember right the cable guy did the IPCONFIG/All thingie.. and he said I had an address (thats the thing when all the numbers seperated by periods come up, right?)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. But it's important that we know what that address IS, and whether you're getting a gateway as well. Then we'll have you ping that gateway, for one thing. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

OK.. I'll find out the address but most likely it will be Monday before I'll be able to get back online to post it here... Thanks for all the help so far! [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have encountered this problem in the past and the normal solution is to release and renew the IPAddress. (there are a number of ways to do that, but in command prompt, just do:

cmd>IPCONFIG /release

cmd>IPCONFIG /renew

This works only if you're set up to obtain an IP address from the provider. If you have a static IP address in your TCP/IP settings, you have to unclick that. That's going to be in your network settings under TCP/IP properties, if I recall correctly.

I assume, however, that the tech who came to your house already tried that. It's the first step.

But really, your symptoms sound like the ones I have encountered before.

Just one more thing. You don't have this machine set up for anything like VPN do you? If so, you have to make sure VPN is disabled first. Also, I'd be really surprised if the tech didn't notice that.

Seriously, if those turn out to be your problems, you should ask for your $70 back.

In all probability, these comments will not lead you to a solution, but they are the only things I know on the subject and I just can't avoid posting in these "computer help" threads 'cuz it makes me feel like a real techno geek.

l33t

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The symptoms he has can, unfortunately, mean oodles of things.

Among other things, they can mean over an hour rooting out spyware.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...we had that one too!

Forgot all about that.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a winsock error.

When you do the ipconfig/all, if you get an IP address that shows 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, you've probably got a hardware issue. If you get 192.168.xxx.xxx address, you're hooked properly into a LAN with a router. Since it seems, from what you're saying, that you are hooked straight into the modem I imagine you should be getting a much different IP address. I'm not sure on that, since I've not done much work with DSL before. I can't tell you what the IP should be if it's not one of the above (or 0.0.0.0 which is, as you could guess, no IP address at all) since all Internet Providers use different IP's.

Anyway, go to the website above and download that program. Run it, and if there are any listings in the window on the right hand side, there's your problem. Click finish and the program will take care of things for you. There shouldn't be more than 3-5 listings in the left hand window. If there are more than five, you really should do a thorough virus and spyware scan on your system. I always recommend AVG for virus removal. Spyware removal is another thing, though. Ad Aware is good, but I've heard that it's starting to lose its edge. I read a magazine article recently that gave some good recommendations (with testing on a hand infected computer), but I have forgotten what they were. I'll see if I can find the mag and get the info for you.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

Ok.. I did the google ping thingy... got the request timed out message... I did the IP Config/ all and I have an address (all the numbers, right?) I couldn't copy and paste it here cuz I can't get online at home... I'll write it all down and copy it in here tomorrow... I tried a Norton Go-Back but it said I had no safe points but I know the cable guy did this the other day or said he did at least. I tried a system recovery from the start up screen, again no safe point.

What really has me confused is why it won't work when it was working just fine before I moved it???

fugu13
Member # 2859

Cable internet != DSL

More specifically, the install of Yahoo's DSL software (the PPPoE connector, usually), can have bad interactions with existing spyware that's been messing with the TCP/IP stack.

I used to work for SBC Yahoo DSL doing customer self install tech support; likely the same people you're talking to right now. Don't forget to tell me the sort of modem and what lights are on and what those lights are doing (color and any blinking). Make sure you check when the computer is on.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yep. Russell's thinking the exact same thing I'm thinking. The first time I hooked my wife's machine up to Yahoo DSL back in Champaign, I spent a few hours trying to figure out why her TCP/IP stack was giving me so much trouble. (The fact that you could no longer reinstall the TCP/IP stack without visiting the Knowledgebase was just salt in the wound.)

The info you give here should help us diagnose that problem.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I won't install software from ISPs any more. I tried getting DSL once and they convinced me to install the software when we were troubleshooting.

Turned out my house was too far away from the switch to support DSL, so I don't know why they had me trying the software, but we ended up reinstalling Windows to fix it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

Well, I downloaded the Yahoo DSL and it wouldn't work... so I tried to rehook up to cable... could something I downloaded from Yahoo be blocking something?
babager
Member # 6700

OH.. Dagonee.. I do know that the last people that lived in the house had DSL and it was extremely slow because they were too far away from the main lines... could this be part of the problem?

HOw do you re-install windows and will I lose all of my picures I have downloaded if I do this?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supposed to be installing SBC DSL next week . . . [Angst]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You shouldn't have to install their software - I've never had issues with either cable or DSL if I didn't, although I do always use a router.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Really? Tell me more.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If you plus the DSL (or cable modem) into the router, your computer should work with a default IP configuration. Tom or fugu should be able to tell you more than I can, but it's not hard.
rivka
Member # 4859

Excellent. I know I have been extremely unimpressed with the SBC repackaged-IE-browser when I have seen it on other people's computers.

But I believe my DSL modem is a router.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
HOw do you re-install windows and will I lose all of my picures I have downloaded if I do this?
I should note that we may not have had to reinstall Windows, but it got to the point where that was easier than more troubleshooting. We had imaged clean installs and very good backups around, so it was less traumatic for me than it may be for you.

Tom has suggested another way to clean it up; I would definitely try that first.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

babager, please give us the information we have asked for before asking more questions. You're just going to get confused by the answers if we're forced to overload you with info.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Can you connect your computer to it via ethernet? If so, then you're good to go. If you have to plug it in via USB, it may require a driver of some kind.
rivka
Member # 4859

Dagonee, I don't know. It will arrive at my new place some time early next week. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

*goes off to check SBC website* It says
quote:
Can I get a USB DSL modem?
We apologize, but currently we can only send you a DSL modem that connects to your computer's Ethernet card.

But that's good, you're saying. Neh?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes, it's good. Rejoice.
rivka
Member # 4859

*rejoices, in an exhausted, I-hate-moving sort of way*

Oh, but am I not going to want their firewall software? And, um . . . other stuff?

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope... ISP software in my experience is by far the worst you'll ever find. You can get better protection out there.

A few examples off the top of my head...
Sygate Personal Firewall

ZoneAlarm

I ave only personally tried ZoneAlarm but I've heard Sygate isn't bad. You can get free versions of both of them at their websites last time I checked.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. Thanks! [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

Rivka -- are you getting the 2wire dsl modem? That one's a router. The standard DSL modem is not a router.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm getting the more expensive one. Which they assured me would enable me to hook up a desktop and two laptops.

So to answer your question, I think so?

rivka
Member # 4859

This looks useful.
quote:
But what do I do with the old CD?
Microwave it, on low, for 5 seconds.

[Laugh]
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, you're getting a 2wire. I hope your laptops are wireless [Wink] .

Also, make absolutely certain you remember the password you put on your 2wire. SBC doesn't have access to that, so if you forget it, it makes things annoying. I suggest writing it down and taping it to the side of the 2wire -- unless you have large worries about someone coming into your house and taking a look at your 2wire password

rivka
Member # 4859

My laptops are wireless, yes. I know I don't know some things, but I know THAT! [Razz]

Good suggestion on the password. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks for all the help, guys. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Now we just need to help babager, who started the thread....
rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed.

So what are you waiting for?

*flees*

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Specifically? The results of his IPCONFIG /ALL. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. Well, yes . . .
babager
Member # 6700

OK... here is some more detailed info.

I have ethernet connection.

The lights on my cable modem are (from top to bottom) Power (Green), Cable (Green), PC (Green), Data (Flashing Green) and Test (not lit)

After I did ipconfig /all this was what came up:

windows IP Configuration
Host name.....:Main
Primary DNS Suffix....:
Node Type....:Broadcast
IP Routing enabled....:No
Wins Proxy enabled....:No
DNS Suffix Search list...:ks.cox.net
Ethernet adapter local area connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ks.cox.net
Description....:NVIDIAnForce MCP Networking Controler
Physical Address....: 00-0E-A6-58-25-7B
Dhcp Enabled....: yes
Autoconfigurations enable....:yes
IP address....: 68.103.150.31
Subnet Mask....:255.255.255.0
Default gateway....:68.103.150.1
DHCP Server....:172.19.121.13
DNS Servers.....:68.230.242.30
:68.230.242.25
:68.12.16.30
Lease obtained.....Monday, august 08 2005 #:14.30
Lease expires...... Tuesday, august 9 2005 3:14.30

Also.... I found a PC doctor on my computer so I ran it... 2 of the tests failed the Device: Agere Win Modem Description: modem dial tone test Code to tell the technician: MC932-1

and the device : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking control-packet schedulaer miniport Description: network communication test code to tell technician: nc315-1

I have really no clue what any of this means but hopefully it is what you all need to point me in the right direction...

Thanks for all of your help so far [Smile]

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
All your IP addresses look right to me. The first device failure on PC-Doctor doesn't matter. Second be something, but I've never used PC Doctor before so I can't be sure. I'm betting it's TCP or Winsock issues.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Lets play find the spyware!
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, IP and gateway look good, and you're configured using DHCP, which is also good. DNS servers seem to be located on the same general network, so (probably) no problem there. All the same, that's what we're going to test first.

Bring up the command prompt, and type:
code:
ping 66.102.7.104

That should be Google's IP address. If you get a response on the ping (as opposed to a "request timed out" message), then it's your DNS configuration at fault.

Hmmm... this could get pretty tedious, as it looks like there may be a certain amount of back-and-forth needed to get you back up and running. If you want, I can PM you my phone number and we'll set up a time where we can go into this in more detail.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Looks like my desktop is going to need wireless -- there's no phone jack anywhere near where the computer needs to be.

Should I ask questions about possible options here, or start a new thread?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Any 802.11b or g wireless PCI card'll be fine for your desktop, really.

You'll need to set up the 2wire with an ethernet cable attached, though.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.