FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puter problems! HELP PLEASE!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Puter problems! HELP PLEASE!!!
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
You can also get some USB wireless cards for your desktop if you don't want to use up a PCI slot.

Just make sure your computer is near enough to the router for the signal to be ok (otherwise you'll get an intermittent connection or at best a slower internet connection), wireless G cards are faster but sometimes have a shorter signal range, wireless B is slower but may have a stronger signal.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The DSL modem/router is B. And fugu has convinced me that a PCI card is the way to go.

Distance shouldn't be a problem, as it will pretty much be just the other side of a wall.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think fugu's right; since the IP and Gateway are both correct, spyware's the next most likely culprit.

Are you familiar with the registry, babager? This next part can get a little tricky.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
No... not really familiar with spyware... I've heard of it... and I know there is something on my computer about it...I think I might have tested something that was called spybot???
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Find a local geek who can debug your computer. Far simpler than us trying to guide you through it over the internet (phone, even, would be easier).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

yeah, fugu... I am thinking you might be right. I thought it might have been something simple but I am thinking that is not the case. [Frown]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed; whatever it is, it'll take more timely interaction than a web forum can provide. Do you have a local geek to call upon (not tech support, but someone you actually know)? If not, say the word and I'll PM you my phone number and we can set up a time to go through this. I suppose I can't guarantee I'll actually be able to fix it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] This is a big part of what I love about Hatrack.

*sings* People, who help people . . . !

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

Well I fixed the problem... sort of.. I got sick of messing with it so I made recovery discs and wiped the system and started it fresh. May sound extreme, but I was very frustrated [Wall Bash] ...lol... anyway I can get online with no problems now, but I think I made the puter mad, cuz now for NO REASON WHATSOEVER... it will boot me and shut itself down and then restart... damn puters... [Grumble] ...lol
fugu13
Member # 2859

You haven't run your windows updates since you reinstalled -- you've been infected with a (fairly innocuous) virus.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

So if I run the updates that should take care of the problem???
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yes, if you manage to get them installed.
babager
Member # 6700

Are they difficult to install or are you just making fun of me???? [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

It depends on how often your computer is restarting.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They can be VERY difficult to install, in your case, because the virus you've acquired can restart your machine every thirty seconds -- or faster -- and the file takes up to ten minutes to download.

This is why everyone should own a firewall. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, in this case there's an easy fix for the restarting if that gets in his way.

Though this is a big problem with windows; if you don't get it protected pretty much right away, you will get infected when you install from the CD and connect to the net unless you have a very up to date CD, and most people do not know how to get it protected right away.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.