FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC reviews....Toilet Paper? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OSC reviews....Toilet Paper?
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo- good thinking with the "papers" response!

As far as the availibility of different products in Brazil, I found that in São Paulo certain Carrefour, Pão de Açucar and other stores carried American or European goods , it was just a matter of knowing which stores had what. Then Walmart came to Brazil, and I think their success inspired their competitors to do things like stock the same inventory in all stores and so on. When I was last in Brazil (2004) things were very different at the big department stores than they were in 1996.

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, I said: It`s a forum about literature. We`re discussing...papers.
*laughing out loud
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the recycled TJ's paper ( cheaper than 7th Gen, but with all the eco-benefits.) Over the top, of course. I hate lotion-y TP, if I wanted lotion there......
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
They do have everything in Brazil that you could wish for...but I was a missionary with an R$85/month mesada. We couldn't buy the best stuff. We built up tougher skin in certain places as a result.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Probably only half the households in Bulgaria used toilet paper (so we always made sure to carry around a little packet of tissues for those situations) and it was of the newspaper variety, the others used washcloths (or perhaps nothing at all - since I recall some times where there were no discernable wiping implements, not even seashells).
Seashells? [Eek!]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone use colored TP? My parents would get blue at times and it would always make me do a double take every time there was a new roll, especially after having had white for awhile.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Is colored TP safe? Is that really a region where you want to be rubbing highly soluble material filled with dyes?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Such as say . . . dyed white?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love toilet paper. It's so much better than using corn cobs or newspapers.
Even better is that wet toilet paper. Best stuff ever.
I don't bother with Charmin and stuff. An ad about bears using toilet paper is just...too...creapy. So I just buy the store brand.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Such as say . . . dyed white?
That's why it's worth the extra $$ to buy the undyed. White TP is bleached with dioxin, which is highly carcinogenic. Do you really want to rub sensitive tissue with a carcinogen?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Some institutions here use the sandpaper variety--schools, etc. Others use one ply stuff that, while not rough, falls apart at the lightest touch. We use Cottonelle ultra with ripples; it's one of the few things that I absolutely insist we buy brand name.

Oh, and I agree with whoever (Tom?) said toilet paper was a worthy topic of review. To quote Legally Blonde: "All those opposed to chafing, please say 'Aye'."

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
Is colored TP safe? Is that really a region where you want to be rubbing highly soluble material filled with dyes?

Who knows. I think they've stopped buying the blue kind, but I'm not home enough to know for sure.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's why it's worth the extra $$ to buy the undyed. White TP is bleached with dioxin, which is highly carcinogenic. Do you really want to rub sensitive tissue with a carcinogen?
Do you get this at a health store? I've never seen it at a grocery store.

[Edited to add "at".]

[ August 20, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seashells?
It's a reference to the movie Demolition Man with Sly Stallone and Sandra Bullock. I thought it was hilarious. Of course, pop-culture references are always funny to me in those rare occurrances that I'm familiar with what is being referenced--that's why I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so much.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too worried about getting cancer from my toilet paper at the moment.

Now those falling anvils... that's what you really have to watch out for!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
A fair amount of eastern cultures do not use toilet paper but cleanse themselves with water (or use a combination). In fact, growing up in Somalia, merely using toilet paper was considered most unclean and therefore unholy (i.e., you aren't clean enough to pray if you merely use toilet paper.) In the bathrooms would be a little kettle one would pour down to the area in question and then simultaneously rinse with the other hand...all of this of course to be followed by cutting that hand off.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Rico, I'd have been worried about rogue toilet seats from the space shuttle given the rest of the thread... =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I am dubious that toilet paper is carcinogenic. After all, use of the stuff is pretty common, and rectal cancer, while not unheard of, is not.

Feel free to safely use as much as you feel necessary to do the job right.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Most things we deal with daily have carcinogens in them -- its just that how they're used, the carcinogens don't get in us.

Of course, most things are carcinogens, period.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you get this at a health store? I've never seen it at a grocery store.

I buy it at Trader Joe's.

It's not just the slight risk of rectal cancer, it's that the dioxins used to bleach the...TP, tissue, paper plates, etc get into the water supply and can contribute to any number of cancers.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
A fair amount of eastern cultures do not use toilet paper but cleanse themselves with water (or use a combination). In fact, growing up in Somalia, merely using toilet paper was considered most unclean and therefore unholy (i.e., you aren't clean enough to pray if you merely use toilet paper.) In the bathrooms would be a little kettle one would pour down to the area in question and then simultaneously rinse with the other hand...all of this of course to be followed by cutting that hand off.

[ROFL]

Best. Post. Ever!!!

-o-

quote:
Originally posted by Shan:In terms of how the toilet paper flows from the roll, I was actually woken up at midnight by my dad (I was about 16) to change the direction from under to over.
Good for him! It is nice to know of parents committed to teaching their children to do things right! [Big Grin]

-o-

I posted this on the thread on the other side:

I think that people who are responsible for toilet paper decisions for institutions such as places of employment, schools, stores, whatever, ought to be forced to have whatever brand they choose in their homes as their personal toilet paper. Think of it as a perk: tey should just be able to take it home and never pay for personal toilet paper--but it must be that same brand.

Similarly, people who have toilet paper dispensers installed that have that little peg that makes it so that you can only get one quare at a time ought to have those installed in their homes as well.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- I just had to bump this because it was full of laughs, and laughs are good.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't believe that anyone spent that much time thinking about the stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.