FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you had to change your name (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you had to change your name
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
To Treason- I could never relate to John Galt. It seemed so dumb and random the way that she went for him over Francisco or Reardon (sp?). He was so poorly developed. Once I learned more about her life and relationship with Nathaniel Brandon, it made way more sense.

Maybe I'm a loser, but my favorite character in her last two books was Dagny's sister-in-law. I found her much more heroic than Dagny.

Second favorite, of course, is Howard Roark.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should make an Ayn Rand thread...
I don't want to hijack this one.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagny's sister-in-law was a good, although very minor, character. [Smile] I'm a Roark fan as well.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
I think we should make an Ayn Rand thread...
I don't want to hijack this one.

Oops. You're right; my bad.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Kamila Tannini

[Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
eeh..I suppose treason doesn't know that galt is swedish for boar?
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the man's name "Cameron," with "Cam" for short. And we really need more guys named "Pete."

I'd like to go by "Tess," but I never have. Probably because my real name isn't "Therese."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I legally changed my name. In real life. [Big Grin] I like my newish name. Well, I kept the first name, but ditched the rest. The first suited me. The others . . . sucked.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I legally changed my name. In real life. [Big Grin] I like my newish name. Well, I kept the first name, but ditched the rest. The first suited me. The others . . . sucked.

My last name used to be Aaronson. Now it's Liel (pronounced lee-EHL) The second time I moved to Israel, I changed it. I got tired of it being misspelled.

Choosing your own name is very empowering.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Exactly.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
It may be normal, but it's not common.

Would you pronounce Ayn like Ann or like Ayn Rand does (Ein)?

She actually pronounced it to rhyme with "pine". And despite her later claims that she got the name from a Finnish novelist, someone who knew her well once told her that her father used to call her Aynele when she was little, and Rand said that her father did the same with her.
Oh yea, that's what I meant. I was thinking of the German pronunciation of the Ein.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably change my name to Katarina, and people could call me Kat. Some people already do.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I don't like my first name, but I think Corwin would be nice! [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a woman in college named Dagny, although I think she spelled it Dagney. Not sure. Yes, it was after the character, and she was fabulous. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about actually changing my name, though I suppose I wouldn't mind Marlena, which is my middle name. However, I also think it would be nice if more people called me Jules. It's such a pleasant nickname, but hardly ever gets used.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Swede said "eeh..I suppose treason doesn't know that galt is swedish for boar?"

That's pretty funny since I am part swedish, but who else but you is really going to know that?

[Smile]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm been seriously thinking about changing my name for several months. there are a couple of names that I'm looking at, but my current favorite would be either"Adam" or "Elvis". And I'm dead serious about the Elvis bit. Maybe.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

I like the name Elvis.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. [Dont Know]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my last name the way it is. It has a really cool history to it (it deals with persecution from Arabs, moving to Israel, then to America). My first name I'm not so crazy about, though. Jaime is my English nickname. I think I'd steal my little brother's name, Arik, if he didn't have it. He was named that for my cousin who literally sacrificed his life to save others when fighting in a Israel-Lebanon battle.

There's a small history lesson for you of my family which you probably didn't need to know [Smile]

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it be cool to have a kid whos name is just a sound.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I would change it to "Tinros Dagorfea", my nickname.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:

If you name your child "knock" or "vroooom!" don't be surprised if they grow up to hate you [Razz]
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:

What, like an armpit fart?

Although it would be amusing when they called his name at graduation exercises.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents almost named me Colleen,so I think Colleen would be nice.

I also like Lydia. One Christmas when I worked retail and there were two Jessicas (Jessica is my given name), I changed my name to Lydia and developed an Irish accent to answer the phone with. It worked almost too well. For months after my little trick, there were people calling the store asking for that nice Irish salesclerk named "Lydia."

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Lydia the Tattooed Lady
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Whenever I hear the name "Lydia", I either think of the Marx Brothers or I think of the girl from the hygiene poster, "Lydia, who has Clamydia".
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents considered naming me Solveig (Norwegian; pronounced Sool-vay). Decided against it for the obvious pronunciation problems. But I kinda like it, maybe I'd choose that.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I told my wife that if we every have a boy, we'll have to name him "Randy," after his father (my name is Mike [Blushing] )
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pretend my name was "Heather" because it was pretty and not as unusual as "Olivia" was at the time. When I got to college there was this girl in choir named Heather whose eyes didn't look the same direction. We were about the same size, height and hair style/color, but I had much better hygene. She had a solo in the Christmas performance, and she blew it.

People kept telling me how good my solo was, and I kept telling them it was Heather. I would never have gone for a solo. But, from a great distance in the choir loft, she looked like me. I was a bit more visible in campus life than she was, so I guess it was an understandable mistake.

By then, I was glad my name wasn't actually Heather, and I'm happy with my name.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

Solveig is on of the names in a trilogy of the dragonlance books. I think one of them is called "Dragonlord of Mystara." It's a cool name.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.