FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Hatrack Exercise Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Official Hatrack Exercise Thread
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Hatrackers!

::Informercial voice::

How many of you out there wish you could exercise but just can't find the willpower to do it? Well you're in luck!

This thread will become your support system!

::Cut to testamonial::

When I started on the Hatrack Exercise Thread I wanted to be able to run a 10K. I got out there on my first day and found I could barely run two blocks before I collapsed, heaving, to the ground! Now, a month later, I'm running a mile every day, and slowly working my way up to that 10K! I'm even lifting weights, and have been slowly building up to higher and higher weights!

::Cut to Informercial voice again::

I'll bet you're wondering: What are the hidden fees and costs? And that's the beauty of it, there are no costs! Simply post to this thread and receive unlimited amounts of support and congratulations from fellow Hatrackers as you progress towards your exercise goal!

Don't delay! Post now before this offer expires!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Seriously though!

Everyone looking to meet a goal, or just get out there and get the blood pumping. Post here what you want to get done, and your progress with it. Hatrack is a support system for many other things, why not physical fitness?

Personally, like I said before, my goal really is to run a 10K by next fall (There's a local run, the Oak Apple Day Run). 10K is 6.6 miles. Currently I can run one whole mile, and then walk/jog another mile. But when I started a month ago, I couldn't barely run two blocks without collapsing, so, progress! My goal is also by Spring to be able to curl 120lbs. Currently I'm at 75.

I'm going from out of shape and weak to fit and ripped, who is with me! People of Hatrack unite for physical fitness!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to post in this thread, but I'll feel so ashamed after accomplishing few (none) of the goals I've set. I frequently set such exercise goals for myself, and am distracted by much more interesting things like...reading online forums. If I didn't have a dog to walk or classes to attend, I'd probably never go outside.

But hey, what the heck. I would simply like to lose 10 pounds, and get in shape to the point that I'm not out of breath after jogging for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the temperature rarely drops below the 90's here, so my goal might have to wait at least a couple of months. [Wink]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Join a gym? Get a stationary bike? or just turn your regular bike into a stationary bike. Don't let the weather stop you! Pretty soon the temperature won't rise ABOVE 40 where I am, and I hope to be out running.
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I will commit to running a 5K for Thanksgiving--a Turkey trot or something. My training schedule will be a minimum of 2 strength work outs per week and 3-4 runs a week. I would like the time on the 5K to be at 28-30 minutes.

Lyrhawn, how do you work on running for longer periods? I used to run about 4 miles a day but these days I get bored after 20 minutes or so. How do you work on speed? Right now I am at about a 10 minute mile.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like to run (always prefer the exercise bike to the treadmill), but I walk. I will commit to walking 4 miles a day...pretty much because I have to in order to get to school. [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunbun,

To speed up your mile and work on running long distance you must keep up with your training/exercise program. The most important thing is getting your heart in shape. Once your able to bring your heart rate up to about 75-80% of your max and then bring it back down within 1-2 minutes, your right where you want to be. If you are able to do that then you should be able to speed up your mile.

Long distance running is just about endurance and will. If you keep a steady pace throughout the whole jog and dont stop after 20 minutes b/c of boredom you could keep going. It is mostly your head telling you "your tired and you cant do it", your body can do more than your head can. When you get to the point where you want to stop think about how great you will feel if you could just make it the rest of the mile or another ten minutes. It is all in your head, you have to push yourself.

I used to be the worst at running. I would run ten minutes or 1 mile and be exhausted. My mile run varied from 10-13 minutes and there was no way I was ever going to run more than a mile. Now after working out and changing my mindset, I run just under and 8 min mile and I can run for 6 miles without giving up. I have never tried longer than 6 miles because of time, but when I finnish I am not nearly as winded as I used to be after 1 mile!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you keep from being bored while you run?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Music is how I do it.

Also, if you find the right pace, where you're not too winded and not too slow you can kind of zone out.

The other trick I play on myself is, when I get ready to quit I start "the next" game.

"I'll stop at the next telephone pole/stop sign/big tree"

It needs to be something big and fairly close that you can focus on. Then, of course, once you reach it, tell yourself "I'll stop at the next one".

This is a motivational tool that I learned from a Navy SEALs training manual.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The time I'm least bored during a run is right when I hit cruise mode. The first half mile alwas seems difficult, then I seem to settle in and everything seems perfectly fine.

But I get so terribly bored.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Um. KrabbyPatty and dkw and I have taken to each going for a walk or run in our respective neighborhoods every morning while on a three-way call on our cellphones, using headsets. Since we have unlimited calling between phones, it's free.

It keeps you from being bored, it's motivating, and it keeps you accountable. We all need windscreens for our mikes, though, because sometimes it gets loud. Plus, since we're all at different fitness levels, we can each go at our own speed. And there's some element of added safety, since we know the other one is out and would be able to hear if anything happened. We keep each other roughtly apprised of our whereabouts. It's not ideal, but it's better than me being out for a walk without anyone knowing where I am.

Anyway, we've been doing it for a couple of weeks now, and it seems to be going pretty well. [Smile] Sundays Dana, of course, isn't available, and Mom & Dad have been coming over with their bikes and we've been going for a ride instead. [Smile]

Added: I play the Next game, too. It really helps. When I'm running by myself, I usually repeat a mantra of sorts internally, too. What it is varies, but it's usually a line of a song butchered to fit my current circumstances.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's pretty clever ElJay.

To keep from being bored I either listen to music or jog with a friend if one is available. I don't always have the energy to talk to her, for the first half mile I'm trying to get into the "zone" and then I'm good.

As for increasing distance, it really is a mind game once you hit a certain fitness level. I start out each run with a goal. Like, "today I will run a quarter mile more than I did last time" and I don't let myself quit. It could be that I can run another half mile, but I don't try and force myself to do too much. So I make steady progress.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no real goals except to lose 30 pounds. I have barely been exercising, which I need to do. One of my goals needs to get an exercise DVD for rainy weather, as our VCR is shot.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I just kind of want to be toned instead of being the weakling that I am. I walk up a hill every day to class so that's kept my legs relatively fit (my calves are huge), but my arms are very weak.

The one thing I'd love to be able to do is do a long distance bike ride, but I'm definately not in shape.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had knee problems - I've been biking 10 miles a weekday for a month or so and my legs feel great. I'm going to start running again next week.

Ah, for the old days. Back in high school I was one of the few kids on the wrestling team who could run a mile under five minutes. Of course, I usually dry heaved for a while afterwards. And by no means did it make me a better wrestler. Now I've gotten soft and slow and it's terribly degrading.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is simple -- to exercise 5x/week. (exercise being either a Curves workout or a minimum 45-minute walk.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If anyone's goal is to exercise to lose weight, you should keep in mind that the first 20 minutes of most cardiovascular workouts your body is merely burning the sugars and carbohydrates you have consumed. Those are the easy to burn, first response energy source for your body. After 20 minutes your body starts to burn stored fat.

So, while a 20 minute workout will make you healthier all around, and is especially good for your heart, you might want to push it a little harder if your goal is weight loss.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to get myself to the campus gym. *sigh* I have no motivation. It's awful.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's what we are here for! Didn't you read the informercial post? We are your motivation! Post your goals and we will guilt you into them!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My first goal is to get some sort of home-exercise thingamajig. Stationary bike? Glider? Stair-stepper? Treadmill? I don't know.

Something that I can put away (easily) every time in a relatively small space would be good. Not more than $200, and less would be nice. Something that I can do while watching TV or a movie so I don't get bored. Hey, I'd love it to be something that I can do while online, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Any suggestions? Is it ok to have this in this thread, or would it be better to start another?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, just keep your eye on freecycle, those things go all the time.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I did read it, yes... ok, I guess my first goal is to actually make it to the gym on a regular basis.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, actually I *am* thinking of getting back into exercising more regularly, and perhaps start running a little. I'll make a "plan" and post it in here. Thanks, Lyrhawn, for starting the thread! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Hmm--Thanks very much. I guess a good starter work out would be geared at maintaining a certain pace for a given period of time? IE, I want to run 3 miles, and I want my heart rate to be XX during this 30 minutes?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

It is always better to pace yourself if you want to run long distance. If you start your run at fast pace you will wear yourself out faster, but if you keep a steady pace you can keep going. Usually the hardest part is the first 5-10 minutes once you pass that you get a second wind. After a while it will feel great to run, I get what is known as the "Runners high."

You want to get your heart rate up durring you workout and once you have finnished you want to be able to bring it back down within 1-2 minutes. Once you can do that your in good shape.

If you goal is to burn calories and fat it is good to bring your heart rate up and down throughout your whole work out. For example, start your work out at a low resistance and slowly bring it up ever 2 minutes or so once you have reached the highest your body can take bring it back down and repeat.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
finnished you want to be able to bring it back down within 1-2 minutes
I've heard this before but I don't think I know what it means. I assume it means your heart rate goes down to normal within that period; and that is the way that you tell that you've improved your heart's ability to perform at higher rates?

Maybe I should spend some time on an elliptical and do one of those pre-set programs.

Hmm216
Member # 8403

Here is a website that will help your calculate your target heart rate based on your age:
http://www.active.com/calculators/heartrate_calc.cfc

Depending on your level of fitness you want to work from 60 to 85% of your max. Once you finnish that workout you want to cool down and after 1-2 minutes you should be able to bring it down to 20% of your max.

Hmm216
Member # 8403

Sorry I think the website above is wrong, try this one...

http://www.active.com/calculators/heartrate_calc.cfm

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
I usually recommend something kind of elliptical machine, like the nordic track or the gazelle, for home use. The gazelle is shown here. At the bottom.

Thanks, Theca. Can you tell me why you recommend that sort of machine over other options?

[ August 28, 2005, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Thanks for all of your help, H!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka! You stretched the forum!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Err, I did? Not on my screen! I'll edit the post you must mean anyway - sorry!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, on my screen it's Theaca with the Gazelle link that stretched the thread
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to define an exercise goal now that the tennis season is over (by which I mean the two leagues I played in are finished for the year). I think step one will be to find out what I need to do to get my company fitness subsidy, and then step two will be to get that subsidy and apply it toward the cost of a membership at the local Y (the subsidy and the membership are roughly the same dollar value, which is nice).

The Y presents a number of options I'm interested in: tennis, badminton, swimming, karate, and trainers.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so here's my goal: Go swimming at least once a week, as long as my swimming buddy doesn't back out on me at first. I want to take scuba diving next semester so I want to be able to swim for longer than, I dunno, a minute.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Jerusalem it's swimming in a pool packed with 7 year-olds who tend to make the pool a cool shade but warm substance of gren.

*Buys more chips and beer for the next Cricket Test match (that will last 30 hours, hopefully).*

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been exercising this summer. I get past the boredom by mentally composing (1) live journal entries, (2) e-mails, and (3) angry letters to the editors of Atlantic Monthly. The only ones that do actually get written down are the e-mails, sometimes.

I'd like to run, just to change things up, and I've been shoe-shopping in order to do it. I did a little bit, and my cheap trainers which were fine for the stairstepper gave me blisters everywhere when I tried to run. As soon as I can find a pair of shoes that fit me, I want to try. My knees are only so-so, so I'm a little worried about them.

On the other hand, nothing burns calories like running on an incline. It burns them fast enough that doing any other cardio - since because of this summer my endurance is great - feels like I'm wasting time.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

This morning I did a 1o- minute ab video before we did our reading and headed out. My goal is to do that 3 days a week, at least.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Progress report from me!

I went jogging today and instead of jogging a mile then walking most of the second mile, I jogged a mile plus another block, then jogged another half mile after a short walk. I plan to be able to jog the full 2 miles, plus walking an extra 1/2 mile by the end of next week. Hopefully by mid October I'll be at the 5K mark, which is halfway to my goal of running a 10K.

Also, today I started curling 80lbs, 40lbs away from my goal of 120.

Quick question to any fitness crazies out there. Anyone have experience with protein powders or shakes, any of that stuff? Anyone in the medical profession out there with knowledge? Come forth now and be heard, please. [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, I did a really intense weight-lifting and diet thing two years ago, that included a strict diet and protien powders. I was eating three small food meals a day with two or three shakes in between them. I believe that with the intense workouts I was doing (An hour of weights 6 days a week plus cardio 5 or 6 days a week) with the intention of building muscle that getting the extra protein helped.

That said, they taste awful. Some are better than others, and if you're going to try them, I'll go check and find the name of the one I found most tolerable. And if you add a little almond extract, that really helps. But seriously, I think it's only worth it if you're trying to get to a very low percentage of body fat and are lifting a lot, so you're not taking in enough protein in your diet. For just casual running and lifting, they're not necessary.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

ElJay: I've always been taught that you have to rest a day after a weight work out. I'm assuming you alternated the areas you were concentrating on if you worked out 6 times a week, right?

In other news, I did my long run yesterday and I was pleased that I did not get bored and turn back after twenty minutes. This morning I am headed to the gym to use the weight machines.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I started small, with pushups and crunches. Maybe I'll start doing a bit in the morning, too. Then I'll be ready when I join the Y. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

bunbun, yeah, it was three different workouts:

Day 1: biceps, back, forearms, abs
Day 2: pecs, triceps, shoulders
Day 3: entire lower body

Although twice a week isn't really enough for abs, and since you don't use weight with them you can do them on consecutive days so there was usually a few extra abs workouts thrown in there.

What happened was I agreed to work with a personal trainer and follow a really strict schedule and diet, and got reduced rate training in exchange for letting him use my before and after pics in his advertising. It was fun, but not sustainable. . . I lost 36 pounds in 12 weeks, but was dying for ice cream by the time it was over, and didn't keep it up. But for awhile I was totally cut, and really skinny. [Smile]

I've put at least half of the weight back on, and while I'm not unhappy with my body I wouldn't mind losing about 10 pounds and starting lifting again, so I could have those pretty arms back. [Wink] That's why I've started walking and running in the mornings, after that becomes habit I'll start adding the weights back in. I'll probably just do the two upper body workouts, though, twice a week, and let the running take care of the lower body. Four days a week is enough. And while I will happily eat reasonable meals with occasional splurges, I won't be restricting my diet enough to plunge my body fat level again. For those three months I did not have any alcohol, no ice cream, no cheese. I think I spluged once and ate some bacon. Other than that it was egg whites, spinich salads, chicken breasts, fresh veggies, and protien shakes. Nothing else to drink but water.

I could do it for three months, with a definite goal in mind, but I have less than no desire to live that way. [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

Ok, I still haven't gone to the gym.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question - what the word on working out when you're about to get sick? I have been really busy and haven't slept much for the past several days, and I think I'm getting sick. I feel sort of achy all over, and my hair hurts.

I skipped excercizing this morning, and while I'm feeling guilty about it, I wonder if maybe that wasn't a good idea.

Does anyone know?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's definitely a good idea.

If you feel you're getting sick, slow down, sleep more, and get lots of fluids. Old news, I know, but it works.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Protein shakes are unnecessary for most people, especially those trying to lose weight. I used them when I played football and was trying to add lean muscle mass, but when I quit and wanted to lose weight, I avoided them like the plague.

You can get plenty of protein in a healthy diet.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm trying to add muscle and lose body fat, not lower my actual weight. I work out 4 or 5 times a week and jog 5 or 6 times, depends on how busy I am.

I do eat a lot of chicken though. I bought a whey protein powder that you mix with water (that actually doesn't taste all that bad, if you put it in warm water it's almost like hot chocolate).

Think I should be using the protein?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Check the nutritional information and see how many calories are in it, and how much fat. Then figure out how many other calories you are consuming and how many you are burning. Even if you are building muscle, you will probably need to cut calories to lose the fat. So if you add this on top of your normal meals, it's added calories and you're not going to lose weight. If you're working out hard enough that you're hungry all the time it might not hurt to add a shake or a half a shake even as a "snack," preferrably right after your workout. But at that schedule, if you're eating meat at least once a day you probably don't need the protein, and it's just more calories. Some of them are pretty high fat, too.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

130 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, per shake.

I have a hard time keeping track of my calories, and have no idea how many I burn per work out. I understand the basic principle, burn more than you eat and you lose fat. But I eat different things every day, and usually have no idea what is in them. Also, how do I figure out how many calories I've burned after a jog?

(Now you all see the REAL reason I started this thread, free work out advice [Wink] )

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.