FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Hatrack Exercise Thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Official Hatrack Exercise Thread
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I cut sugar out of my diet. I've lost 10 pounds over the course of a year. (EDIT: just 80 more to go) I know that's really slow but it's amazing how much better a feel.

I would lose quicker if I did some cardiovascular exercise obviously but I tried it and it just made my back hurt even more than it already does.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back. I worked out, and it was no fun. But I'll feel better tomorrow.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*saves girly names for next time*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Spent an hour on the treadmill yesterday, but woke up too late to go this morning, and I have class tonight. So, tomorrow.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked out three times since Thanksgiving.

I have a wedding to go to in Montana, after Christmas. It'll be the first big get together since graduation (May '04) and I want to make sure I look the same. I don't think I have to worry, but I needed to get back into it anyway and this gave me a good reason to.

Plus I find that if I start my New Year's resolution early it's easier to keep up with.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so far behind my work out goals it's not even funny.

I was doing well for a few months, but I haven't worked out in the last month and a half. And I won't have time until after school is over in another week. Sadly.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And 3 months later I still haven't exercised really.

But it's spring now. So I plan to get back into walking and weight lifting. I have three months and change before the summer stuff starts to hit, that should be all the time I need to get back into shape, lose the pudge, and put on some muscle.

Who else has Spring fever?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
ME! [Big Grin]

I've exercised maybe twice or three times since I last saw this thread on the front page of the forum. Bad. Not good.

I also need to get back into it!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't run as much as I should, but I worked out today. Curled 40's with free weights, did some shoulder stuff. Benching a comfortable 185, hope to make the 40's 50's by May, and turn the 185 to a 205. And it would be nice to pull down a 11.30 on a mile and a half run. I'll give myself 'till August for that. Need to lose about 10 lbs of chub.

I've never written down my fitness goals before. Thanks Lyrhawn!

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I have to get some short term goals back down on paper. I was jogging two miles at a time last Fall. I think if I can get back to 2 miles by May, I'll consider my cardio a success. And if I can get back to what I was lifting by mid April I'll consider my weight lifting back on track.

Just means I have to start this week. Oy.

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that having a workout buddy that's more fit than you are really helps. You have one?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well I sort of do. He's WAY more fit than me. But we both work a lot and I have school, so we rarely have the same times free to work out. Plus, most of the time I work out at home, or go jogging near my house (though I really want an exercise bike).
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Update time!

So, almost exactly 2 months later, I've done absolutely nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nadda!

I'm making it my mission to purchase an exercise bike before this week ends. Then I'm going to start off a bit slower to ease myself into it. I think the reason I can't get started is that I keep setting my goals way too high and that spooks me off starting at all. So, exercise bike is step one, then I want to start pulling down some push ups and crunches for a simple start.

Next week I get back into some serious lifting.

I'm serious about it this time! If I don't post by the end of the week that I have a new machine and am working hard at it, I want you all to berate me for it!

Edit to add: I even made a bike thread to both help myself expedite the process, and to help anyone else here who might want to purchase their own bike that fits their own needs. Exercise Bike Thread

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And I'm back again.

On my mission to find a new cardio machine, I decided to buy a trainer for my actual outdoor bike. It was only a hundred dollars, which is much cheaper than the other options I was considering. This way I can use my actual bike indoors, and it has magnetic resistance on it for the rear tire, so it'll provide an increasingly challenging workout, and save me some money at the same time.

I'm going to miss most of my goals for the summer. But I think that by mid June I can get into the swing of a decent/modest workout/cardio program.

What I really want to try and change this time around is my eating habits. I pretty much eat whatever I want at the moment, I don't take into account really any nutritional information when I eat meals. But I think it's time I start paying more attention to this if I want to see better results. Starting off, I'm going to cut way back on fast food, maybe to just one trip a week. It's not so much that it's good food, it's just fast and cheap.

What is good work out food that is easy to prepare, and most importantly, won't cost an arm and a leg at the grocery store? Also, what is a quick and easy breakfast food to eat, just to get my metabolism going? I despise eating breakfast. I just want a quick thing I can unwrap and eat on my way to work.

I assume fruits, vegetables and meats are good. What else? Short of creating an Official Hatrack Nutrition Thread, I was hoping the more nutritionally minded people here could throw some cheap and easy ideas out.

And let's hear some goals/progress from everyone out there. How've you all done since last year? What're your goals for this year? Heck, anyone have any before and after pictures to show for motivation?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I believe we already have such a thread.

But I eat Oatmeal for breakfast every morning. It's the healthiest option that I can stomach, and it takes less than ten minutes total to prepare and eat it.

Grilled chicken is the preeminent workout food. It's cheap, easy to prepare, and has tons of protein and no fat. Course, it tastes like rubber and frankly, I can't eat any more of it.

You can eat a lot more than you think you can, but you need to be careful with portion sizes and fat content. There's a lot of discussion about protein/carb/fat mix, and I personally like a balance. Say 40/40/20 or so, with little of the 20 coming from saturated fats. Try to eliminate saturated fats and sugar, if possible. Those two are killers.

Keeping a food diary is a good idea, and eating a lot of smaller meals is also a good idea. Be warned; eating healthy is more expensive than not. I know I've typed a much more extensive writeup on this somewhere on Hatrack. I'm gonna go search for it.

------

Edit: Wow, it's definitely more extensive. Here it is:

I agree with Kristen. I know quite a bit about fitness and nutrition, and I can tell you firsthand that losing that kind of weight can't be accomplished by a diet. Diet is a word that implies a temporary change of eating habits until you reach a desired weight, at which point you go back to what got the weight on you in the first place. Doesn't work. You need to completely overhaul your eating and exercise habits.

Step 1: Track what you're putting into your body. Keep a food diary for a week, where you write down everything you eat or drink and the calories from them. And I mean everything -- you grab a handful of M&Ms, write that down. This does two things -- one, it helps you realize how many calories a day you're actually taking in (which is essential to forming a plan for how many calories you should be taking in daily), and two, it'll make you more aware of how often (if ever) you snack. A lot of people can lose weight just by keeping a food journal, because it helps you to stop eating just out of boredom or habit. You have to think of everything you put into your mouth.

Step 2: Identify and isolate bad eating habits. If you have a weakness for sweets, or salty snacks, or whatever, this is where you isolate those foods. Know that they're your kryptonite and prepare yourself. People tend to eat bad when they're tired, or stressed, or depressed, or in a hurry. Try to avoid those situations so you aren't tempted to backslide. Since you live at home, get your parents to help by not buying the things that tempt you.*

Step 3: Develop a fitness routine that's not overboard, and that you enjoy. If you like the outdoors, find a friend to walk with you every day. If you like to jog or bike, do the same. Find an activity that's not tedious and you'll stick with it because it won't feel like a chore. For me it's basketball. I can play for hours and it's fun. Don't kill yourself. 30 minutes a day of aerobic exercise is plenty(3-5 times a week). If you want to mix in some resistance training (i.e. weights), that'll certainly help, but find someone to show you how to break up a workout into days (workout one body area every day you lift, this is called a split).

Step 4: Track your progress. This is very important, too. Start a workout journal that records how long you exercise each day. If you use weights, this is where you write down how many reps/sets you do so you can keep track. It doesn't have to be in depth, just "Tues - 30 min biking" is fine. Start your new lifestyle by weighing yourself on your home scale (it's important that you always weigh yourself on the same scale, with the same attire, and preferably at the same time of day. I personally recommend you weigh no more than twice a week so you don't get discouraged by normal fluctuations). Measure your chest, upper arms, thighs, hips, and waist with a tape measure and write these measurements down where no one will ever see them. This is for comparison in a few weeks.

Tips:

Don't let yourself talk your way out of exercising. There'll be days where you don't feel like working out; do it anyway. Cut your workout short if you're really feeling sluggish. It's better to do anything than to do nothing. Even a walk around the block is better than sitting on the couch all night.

Be strict with what you eat, portion-wise, but don't feel like you can't eat all of your favorite foods. Diets are about giving things up. I prefer just taking control over my eating habits. I like pizza, and if I feel like eating it then I do just that. But no more than once a week, and I limit myself on how much of it I eat. So I don't get discouraged because I don't deprive myself but I doesn't kill my diet (different use of the word 'diet') because I eat in moderation.

Learn easy ways to cut out calories. Fat free cheese isn't bad. Some diet sodas are downright palatable. Learn the areas you don't mind eating healthier so then you know where you don't have to cut calories.

Always eat something for breakfast. It can be small, but breakfast gets your metabolism going from 'sleepy' mode to 'calorie burning' mode.

Watch late night snacking (especially carbs). You won't have a chance to burn it off before bed, which means it turns into fat.

Re: snacking. Fruits and vegetables are great snacks (vegetables more than fruits, but both are waaaay better than a snickers bar). Nuts are another great snack. Yogurt and granola bars are also pretty good. Rice cakes are overrated, because they have nearly no nutritional value and they taste like styrofoam.

It takes 3500 calories to equal one pound of fat. So, if you can cut 300 calories a day out of your diet and get 200 calories a day from exercise, you can lose a pound a week. In other words, cut out two 12 oz. soft drinks and walk about 1.5 miles and you're their without changing a single other thing.

Don't starve yourself. If you're hungry then your body is nearing the point where your metabolism shuts down to conserve energy, because your body thinks you're starving. In this case, you begin to metabolize stored muscle for energy. So that's a bad idea. If you eat 5-6 small meals, you should never be hungry during the day.

Water is your friend. Drink lots of it.

Set a reasonable goal. Don't expect to lose 5 pounds a week. Yes, you can do it, but no, you can't do it in a healthy way. Conventional wisdom is that the most you can gain or lose in a week and be healthy is 2 pounds. That's being pretty strict with your diet and exercise, too. You have a lofty goal, so if that's what you're set on I'd divide it into two or three smaller goals. Lose half the weight by the end of summer, and the rest by Christmas.

Weight is just a number. It's not unusual to not see a lot of weight loss in the first few weeks of a program. That doesn't mean you're not getting in better shape. Often, you'll lose fat but put on muscle at the same time. So the scale may not move, but you'll feel and look better.

Being skinnier doesn't mean being happier. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Skinny people have problems, just like rich people have problems. I fully understand wanting to look good in a bathing suit, but either way learn to be happy with who you are (not saying that you're not happy, just a cautionary tale).

I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, but this is all off the top of my head. The important thing is to get organized, develop a plan, and stick to it. There'll be people who don't want you to succeed, and people who try to talk you out of it and tempt you with things you shouldn't eat, but if you're committed you'll quickly learn to say no.

* I mean the royal you. Everyone has weaknesses, and the easiest way to not give in to keep whatever it is away from you.

[ May 29, 2006, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wow thanks, that was a lot of great information.

What is the nutrition thread called?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Hmm, I can't find an 'Official' nutrition thread, but this one has some good stuff, and this one contains the long post I reposted above, among other things.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I went to the park and walked on the track while the kids played.

Before I started getting sick last year, I was up to 2.5 miles of a brisk pace.

This time, after six months of chemo I managed one mile and was grateful to have finished that. [Frown] I'm just so weak - I have no stamina. It's frustrating, but I'm going to keep working and try to build back up slowly.

I lost a good bit of weight after I was diagnosed, almost 30 pounds, but I've put some of it back on thanks to a lot of inactivity and really good anti-nausea meds that encourage the appetitite.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Belle. I know how frustrating it is to want to walk, but to be too exhausted. Then, you get the "Oh, but walking will give you energy" comments. When I was sick and would go to Curves or for a walk, because it was my physical therapy, I would come home and dive into sleep. It just didn't affect me the same way. It was still good for me, but exhausting in the way it used to be invigorating.

I am still going to Curves for toning, but I may quit and just do basic boot camp stuff: lunges, pushups(well, wall-ups), and hand weights.

But the main thing is: squash. Not the vegetable, but the Forbes magazine-decided best sport for fitness, safety, and strength. What a workout, and what addictive fun! I love it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn-

Everything that was reposted by El de JT about diet is, just a couple of things I would add.

1) Preparation:

Get yourself a pair of body fat calipers (mine were $10 at GNC). Weigh yourself, measure your BF%, and set a BF% goal (or weight goal based on what a healthy BF% is for you're age group). Do NOT just choose a random number- I'd like to weigh X pounds.

Find someone to take pictures of you in just some short swim shorts or something that doesn't hide anything. Do this every week or every other week, same day of the week, same time. It will keep you motivated when you can actually see the progress you are making.

Lastly, if at all possible, get a gym membership and a gym friend. You'll want to change up your cardio every now and then, and they have a variety of machines. More importantly, it is essential for your weight lifting exercises. You're friend will keep you going and give you accountibility when you don't feel like going.

2) Diet

Multiply your body weight by 15. This is what's called your maintenance level (in kcals). Now subtract 500 from that number. That is how many calories you will eat per day while cutting fat (note I said cutting fat, not losing weight). This number is an approximation. Find what works for you. If you're losing more than 2 lbs of fat per week, you're losing muscle which is counter-productive. If you're losing less than 2 lbs for week, cut your cals by 100 and increase your cardio. Just find what works for you.

The info that El JT posted is fantastic. I'm just trying to add to it, because it's all correct and very helpful. The 40/40/20 mix of carbs, protein, and healthy fats is good (although don't freak out about it if you don't get it exact). Try to eat from 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Essential Fatty Acids (EFTs) actually aid in fat loss. You can find this in salmon, tuna, walnuts i believe, and there are suppliments you can take.

Eat 6 times a day. This keeps your metabolism going fast. You won't be hungry when it's time to eat- do it anyway. After a couple weeks you'll find you are hungry every few hours and it's no chore to eat then. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You're body has been starving for 8 hours. It's catabolizing your muscles, so you need to feed it immediately. The best thing you can do is give it a protein that breaks down very quickly. I drink a whey protein shake (powder + 1% or skim milk). I usually save the oatmeal for my second breakfast. Other good morning foods- egg whites, whole wheat toast, low fat/low sodium cottage cheese. No juice- a typical 16 oz glass of juice will be about 250-300 calories, probably a whole meals worth for you-also it's all sugar. Take a good multivitamin.

Get plently of sleep. 8 hours a night. Hormones are released that repair your body. Again what was posted above: keep a food diary, and exercise strict portion control.

3) Exercise

If you're planning on losing weight, after diet the #1 thing you can do that is overlooked is weight lifting. I'm talking push yourself weight training. As El JT posted, keep an exercise log. Push yourself in the gym. Muscle growth will speed up your metabolism even when you're not at the gym, to a much greater extent than cardio will. The process of tearing and rebuilding muscles will speed your metabolism up for the next 72 hours.

Exercise every muscle group. I do 4 day splits. Do 2-3 sets of each exercise, 8-10 reps. Here's an example beginner routine:
Monday- Legs
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Leg Hyperextensions
Stiff-Leg deadlift
Tuesday-Chest/Triceps
Bench Press
Tricep Pushdown
Incline Dumbell Press
Overhead tricep extensions
Wednesday-Off or Extra cardio
Thursday-Back/Biceps
Bent over dumbell rows
Bicep curls
Back hyperextensions
Hammer culrs
Lat pulldown
Friday-Calves/Shoulders
Military press
Standing calf raises
Lateral raises
Seated Calf Raises
Shrugs
Saturday-off or extra cardio
Sunday-off

If possible, split your cardio & weighlifting. For example, first thing in the morning do your cardio, about 30 minutes (you could even do it at home with your exercise bike thing). Then in the afternoon do your weights. This isn't essential to split them up like this, but it will help.

Don't worry about bulking if you don't want to. I always laugh when I hear people that don't want to lift say that it's because they're afraid they'll bulk up. Guys work for YEARS in the gym to get big muscles and are fanatic about what they eat. Females can do the above without fear- to really bulk the female bodybuilders need to take steriods. From what I understand it's a hormonal thing. Don't worry, you won't bulk, even if you're a man, if you are eating 500 cals under your maintenace level.

It's definately a time commitment-about an hour a day. But honestly, don't most people use at least an hour a day plaing video games, or watching TV? It's also a lifestyle change. Once you lose the weight though, you can relax your routine some, and increase your diet to your new maintenace level. Also you really feel great. I don't need coffee in the morning to get me going, I have a ton of energy all the time. It feels good to be strong enough to lift and move things when you need to, or sprint up a couple flights of stairs at work without sounding like a steam engine about to blow when you get to the top.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I don't have all the answers or anything, but for basic begineer fitness I feel pretty comfortable in giving some pointers.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a nutrionist, doctor, health care professional, personal trainer, or anything. I'm just sharing what has worked for me and others I know and what information I have gathered from multiple sources.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well it's March again. Another year has gone by. Personally, I haven't really done a darn thing since last time I posted in here, except in the last week I've gotten back into lifting. But I overdid it a bit, and I pulled the same muscle in my back that I did a couple pages ago in this thread. So I'm scaling back and doing lighter exercises to get back in the swing of things.

A big difference between now and last time is that I have a jogging buddy now, which should make it easier to get back into my cardio, and I bought an MP3 player, which should help ease the boredom of long runs. Before I had a "Skip free" cd player that skipped like a five year old at recess. To be honest, I'm only seriously getting back into this because I'm going on vacation in about four months now, and I want to look halfway decent on the beach. I don't have unrealistic visions of looking like a chisled frat boy, but I wouldn't mind slimming out my belly area a bit and toning my arms and chest.

My goal is simple but vague: Look good by August. I'm going to set more attaninable weekly goals than I did last time, and with my jogging buddy, it should help keep me motivated and honest. I'm also going to make a serious effort to add a diet component to my workout this time. Last time all I really did was cut my intake of soft drinks, and considering my weight has stayed constant for the last four years, eating all kinds of crap, I figured that'd be fine. After giving up pop and fast food for lent this year, I lost almost 10 lbs without even exercising, which I guess just goes to show how much of an impedimenet it used to be.

So from now on, I'll allow myself one Taco Bell and one McDonalds (and one pizza) trip a week, with greatly reduced portion sizes than I used to have. And soft drinks only once, three times a week. That's still cutting a lot out of my diet, and after having given it up for Lent, it should be pretty easy to restrict myself like that. I find myself missing those things less and less, but I still have cravings from time to time.

My biggest nemesis is where I work: a restaurant. Full of very, very bad, very, very delicious food that I eat on an almost daily basis. From now on, no fried food, no breaded foods, none of those yummy pasta dishes or burgers. When I eat there I'll get the grilled chicken dinner with veggies and a romanine salad with low cal italian dressing, which is about the only healthy thing I can think of that they can make. I'm also going to focus on reducing portion sizes in general when I eat. I just can't eat six meals a day, sometimes I barely get two in. I'm going to try and cram in some health snacks in between meals, as that's the best I can feasibly do.

Hopefully these changes, many of which are small but together equal something greater, will get me near or at where I want to be in four months. I need to lose some body fat, and tone up a bit.

Anyone else have spring/summer work out goals? How've you all been doing in the last year?

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 72" tall and weigh 265 lbs. My max weight was 285 lbs. I don't know how I lost the 20, but I am glad. I'm not supposed to be a fat guy. When I joined the Army at 17, I had to have a waiver to get in because I was too thin. I weighed 135 lbs. At the end of basic training, I had an additional 20 lbs. of muscle. By the end of AIT, I had put on an additional 35 lbs. of muscle. I looked good and felt great. I was always active.

By 2001 I had put on about 20 lbs. of non-muscle. I was still pretty active and looked ok. In 2001, I moved to Houston and had a job with a lot of travel and a lot of eating out. Plus, I was married to my wife that year and she is an awesome cook. Within a year I had put on 55 lbs.

I am determined to get back to 200 lbs. I am joining the YMCA this week and I am coaching my daughters softball team.

My biggest downfall is sweets. I love candy and pop. It is not difficult for me to drink 6-8 Dr Peppers a day. Diet Dr Pepper does not cut it for me. I guess I'll have to make it work.

Wish me luck.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Luck!

Coke Zero. Tastes like Coke, not diet Coke, and 0 calories.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Diet Pepsi is seriously just as good as regular Pepsi after you get used to it.

But the ultimate best is Sprite Zero. It tastes 10 times better than regular Sprite. Then again all it really is, is sodium and fake sugar.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Dude, cut out the soft drinks and you're halfway there.

Each Dr. Pepper has 150 calories. You drink 8 a day and that's an extra 1000 calories in your diet. Just switching to water or diet drinks should allow you to lose 2 pounds a week, if you do nothing else differently.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a run today for the first time...oh the PAIN! And it was only 28 blocks!
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm going jogging for the first time in a few months later today. I'm still sore from working out the other day. Sometimes you don't realize how out of shape you are until you try to do things you used to do all the time a year ago.

I was doing 20-25lbs dumbbell curls (maybe not a lot, I don't know, but it was a lot for me at the time) at the height of working out last year, and yesterday I did 15lbs and I'm soooore today.

Hurts so good, I guess.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finally scheduling to see my trainer again. Tomorrow, 4pm. Hopefully this will motivate me to get back to really, really working out. I need to tone. AUGH! It's just really hard to stay motivated when you can't check your progress.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I went to Best Buy today to get some stuff for jogging. You wouldn't think that Best Buy is the place to go jogging shopping, but I got new earbuds for my MP3 player and an arm strap so I could listen to music on the way, and though the earbuds hurt my ears rather much, and didn't stay in as well as I would have liked, they worked A LOT better than the last pair I had.

Overall I'm satisfied with it, and after an hour or so of combined jogging/walking, I feel good, both about the money I spent and the fact that I'm actually getting back into a rhythm. Sadly I'm back to only being able to job a couple blocks before my chest constricts into a tiny oxygen depleted ball, but that'll get better, like before, over time.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got help for gaining weight? I've been the same weight and size for about a year now, despite lifting wieghts for nearly an hour and a half everyday. I guess metabolism is the reason but is there anyway to override it or something?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Eat more. If you burn more calories than you consume every day, you're going to lose weight. You have to consume more calories to put it on.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Dude, I eat like 5 dinner-sized meals a day. I don't put anything on at all. Not even fat.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

We could do a fat transfer. I'll be the donor.

BTW, I did not like the Coke Zero. I guess I just have to give it all up.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jeez, how do you pack that much food away? I barely have an appetite for two meals and a snack every day.

The only other thing I could suggest would be a protein shake. I honestly don't know as much about bulking up, but there's other people who've been on this thread that probably do. My focus has always been on muscle building and body fat reduction, but I've never had a problem with putting on weight.

Try Diet Pepsi? Tastes almost the same as regular. And Pepsi is better than Coke anyways.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

I'm 16 lol. I know everyone says 'you're body is still growing' but in reality, I haven't gained a pound in about 6 months, and I haven't grown an inch in like 2 years either.
Brojack, drink Iced Tea.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, around that age you should be having some major testosterone dumps going on, which should make it easier to put on muscle mass. My weight stayed pretty stable all through high school. After I started marching band, I weight between 135 and 140 for four straight years, before putting on 10lbs when I graduated. And my weight has been mostly the same for the last four years.

Everyone is different.

brojack17
Member # 9189

So SoaP, I guess that's a no to the fat transfer.

I have to have sugar in my ice tea. Probably not gaining anything there. I've had nothing but water and milk today. No headaches yet. I know their coming. I don't drink coffee so I am going from a lot of caffeen to none. Today I was sluggish. Softball practice helped me.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Man was I ever sore today. Anyone know anyway to make the soreness after a workout go away faster?

I've read that both Vitamin C and E have a lot of anti-oxidants that destroy free radicals, and cut down on recooperation time between workouts. I'm less concerned with being able to work out more, as I think 3 times a week with intervening cardio workouts is enough, but I'd like to be able to go to work the next day without being barely able to move.

brojack17
Member # 9189

An ice bath is supposed to help with soreness.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Man was I ever sore today. Anyone know anyway to make the soreness after a workout go away faster?

I've read that both Vitamin C and E have a lot of anti-oxidants that destroy free radicals, and cut down on recooperation time between workouts. I'm less concerned with being able to work out more, as I think 3 times a week with intervening cardio workouts is enough, but I'd like to be able to go to work the next day without being barely able to move.

When I used to do martial arts all the time, I found that taking an ibuprofin before I went to classes helped a whole bunch with the soreness.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just went jogging about...12-15 blocks. Got a good heartrate and sweat.

However, I had just gotten up from bed, and I only drank 1 glass of water before going out the door.

When I got back, I proceeded (while my heartrate was good) to start in my simple pushup/curls routine. I took a few sips of water and got at it.

After the 2nd set of pushups, I started getting nauseous and a minute later, vomited clear fluids (water [Razz] ). I thought it was my blood sugar too low because I hadn't eaten yet.

How can I avoid this in the future?

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well today a combination of a renewed exercise spirit and insane gas prices forced me to go get my bike fixed, which I've been wanting to do for weeks. I got a snazzy new bike helmet and a tune up and I'm ready to go. I hope now to bike to work in the mornings that I work and not only save money, but get 10+ miles of cardio (2 intervals of 20-30 minutes) in as well.

And I'm actually getting back into a mild weight routine, 3 times a week working different muscle groups. I used to try and do too much, but this new plan I have is much, much more sustainable than before. And with only 2 months to go before I go on vacation, I think I've got all my elements for success.

The only three things I'm considering purchasing for biking is front and back lights (some simple LEDs) in case I want to bike to work at night as well, gloves for my hands, and almost certainly I'll be getting a more comfortable seat, as the one I am currently using I believe was first manufactured in a Byzantine torture shack.

Anyone else getting back into it?

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish! Somehow I've injured both of my shoulders either by sleeping on them funny for a month or so or being ridiculous during weight training, and have been out of commission for the last two weeks and have to wait until June 4th to see a shoulder specialist.

Though it HAS caused me to become better friends with the elliptical machine, which I've been trying to hit every day and work up to a good hour session (not there yet). Though I still have to learn to take it a bit slower since I'm just starting it again tomorrow after waiting a few days for my ankle to feel better [Razz]

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Progress is progress! [Smile]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

I'm getting back in! High intensity interval training, and a crazy new diet!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this over on the Hatrack sparkpeople.com page (note the cunningly-disguised plug), and I may as well post it here because the more people that know about it, the more people to give me a thwacking when I fall by the wayside.

I have spent what seems to me to be ludicrous amounts of money on a bike and accessories*, but today I rode it to work for the first time and I feel awesome about that. I want to do it whenever I can, all summer. I WANT to bike. I ENJOY it. It is FUN. This is big, since my previous experiences with biking were painful - my poor, poor knees. The money seems to be well-spent, since this bike I can ride with minimal knee-pain. It seems like the normal pain of a newbie, rather than real pain.

Food is going to be a struggle, and I'm re-learning the good habits after a month and a half on hiatus. But I can do it, right?

And man, I'm gonna look AWESOME when I go to the cottage in August, right? [Big Grin]

* Bike, helmet, reflective leg bands, lights, reflectors, computer (odometer, speedometer, etc.), back rack, bag for rack, lock...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I enjoy biking MUCH more than jogging. Especially in the summer, the feel of the wind on my face, the challenge of climbing a hill and the exhileration of speeding back down the other side, it's a blast. And you can go so far on a bike, whereas jogging, for the amateur, really limits your distance.

What is different about your new bike that limits knee pain?

The only accessories I really need to get are a new bike seat and gloves. They are must haves. Someday in the future I'd love to get a new bike, but for now, I think I can add some modest improvements to the bike I have and everything will be fine. I'm still a week or two away I think from riding it to work, but I took look forward to how I'll look in August (hopefully, good).

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
A few notes from scanning the last page:

The best way to relieve muscle soreness from working out is: To work out again. Seriously. Stretch well before and after exercise (I strongly suggest the book Stretch and Strengthen by Judy Alter). Drink a lot of water. Exercising the muscles that are sore gets rid of all the lactic acid build up. If I am dancing every day, or at least four days a week, I only feel a subtle and rather pleasant soreness. If I skip out on a couple days I really feel it. Stretch through the ouch and do some light exercise, it will get better. Consistency is the best way to prevent being so sore you can't walk. Don't push super hard and then give up for two weeks. It is better to go lighter, but with more frequency.

Different bodies react to different diets and exercises. I am a woman, and I NEVER do weights. I definitely have a body type that bulks up very easily. Not everyone has to work years in the gym or take steroids to get bulky; every body is different.

I am already very muscular and maintaing long muscles (I'm so short!) and increasing my range of motion is priority for me.
The best ways to tone up without losing range of motion and flexibility is through exercises that just use your own body weight. Check out some ballet/modern dancers and some jujitsu fighters. Most never do any lifting, and they look AMAZING.

Add variety to your workout. Most people get bored "working out," but learning a new skill or mixing up your environments can really help motivate you.

Great music helps you run faster and longer.

Give yourself very small goals. If you are going from virtually zero, start modestly. It is much easier to progress slowly and maintain, than to punish yourself with a blitzkreig of activity.

Good ways to start have already been mentioned:
-Cut out most if not all fast food.
-drink more water! at least 64 oz a day, but 90 would be better!
-Stop eating at least a few hours before you go to bed, a tiny snack is usually okay, but no big meals after the three hour window.
-I emphasize starting modestly. Make a goal to take a long walk at least twice a week. Do thirty crunches and twenty push-ups five mornings a week. Stretch for five minutes in the moring, and five minutes before bedtime. If this is more than you are already doing, then master that light routine before adding more. It is much more likely that you will succeed and progress.

Take the time to do some research. Borrow dvds from the library to learn to exercises. Take a yoga class. Talk to a trainer. Seek out credible sources. There are many good books and magazines that are reasonable, healthy, and positive.

Patience with yourself and discipline are key. Never work out to punish yourself. It shouldn't be easy, but it should be a positive experience. If your current routines are frustrating, try something new, but stick with the same or greater level of acivity that you've already achieved.

And for heavens sakes, don't go out into the cold after working out without putting on a sweater. It's terrible for your muscles and insides.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm off to the track. I'm back up to three miles walking, but yesterday starting adding intervals of jogging to my walk. I haven't jogged in, I don't know, 20 years? Seriously, I never was much of a runner and the last time I remember doing it was when I had to - when I was on my middle school volleyball team and they required us to run.

But my daughter and I are working up to being able to jog first a lap at our track (1/3 of a mile) then hopefully an entire mile by the end of the summer.

I agree with what was said about the soreness - the best thing for me is to get up and work out again the next day. I've done cardio five days a week for the last few weeks, and I'm always sorer on the weekends, when I don't do it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered a great new (to me, not Eastern Europe) exercise device, kettlebells. They look like a cannon ball with a handle and come in various weights. You use them by swinging and lifting them from all types of positions. (One of the most interesting exercises is the Turkish getup where you stand from flat on your back and return to that position while holding a weight straight up in the air.) They emphasis the core while working cardio and developing strength. 30 minutes of continuous swinging and lifting a 35 lb ball can leave you quivering. I like them because they are an entire gym the size of a bowling ball. I can easily take mine on trips and continue my routine. I have replaced my weight routine with it. Now I alternate kettlebell with high intensity interval training, also using the swiss ball for some of my ab work.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.