FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices, Katrina's Second Blow (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gas Prices, Katrina's Second Blow
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have showers at work when I rode to work. Bicycling tends to keep you cool, since there is a constant wind, unless you're climbing a hill.

Very rarely did I feel a need for a shower, and mostly it was coming home in the afternoon. It's generally pretty cool in the morning, except for a few days a year. (at least around here)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
People who seriously say that driving 15 miles to work every day is unacceptable don't understand what it's like to live in America from a purely geographic standpoint.

For instance, I think it's Charlotte (might be another NC city) which has most of its workers living outside of the city. And it's not like they could change that now.

America is spread out... it's vast. You can't fairly compare it to England and European countries. It's easier to live on a smaller scale there, as they still have neighborhoods with everything you need readily accessable.

In America, though, if you work in the city, chances are you don't live there. And if you live in the "country," chances are things are so spread out that you HAVE to drive to go shopping and go to work.

Maybe if you live in the city and work in the city, biking becomes advantageous... even necessary.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the obvious effects of high(er) gas prices is that we'll see a return to nuclear cities....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn,
I'm fine. My hometown (Hammond) took serious wind damage and the last I heard they'll be without power for 4-6 weeks. A couple of my friends houses got hit by trees, but everyone's alright, and I heard a lot of "It could have been much worse."

My brother is staying with me till LSU goes back to school, cause he still doesn't have power in Baton Rouge. We're all fine though, thanks for asking.

A lot of my friends from college have apparently been freaking out a little cause they can't get in touch with me (my cellphone is a Hammond number, and it's virtually useless) but I think I've passed the word around to everyone by now.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
I think one of the obvious effects of high(er) gas prices is that we'll see a return to nuclear cities....

Never!

I refuse to glow in the dark!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I live 7 miles from work, and I would love to bike to work during all but the harshest months of winter, but there are only two routes that I could really take. One of them involves being on one interstate and one state route for most of the way, both of which strike me as foolish places to ride a bike, and the other is through a series of incredibly bad neighborhoods, in which I definitely wouldn't be safe.

I'd like to carpool with someone, but there doesn't seem to be anyone in my general area who works in my building.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who seriously say that driving 15 miles to work every day is unacceptable don't understand what it's like to live in America from a purely geographic standpoint.
Curious that you would say that because I'm the one who said it and I have lived in the Western US for virtually all of my life.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Its $3.19 in San Diego right now.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
El JT de Spang,

I had to reread your post a couple of times before I figured out you can't be posting from Hammond, 'cause wherever you are still has power. I'd guess there will be problems all over what with shortages and so forth.

Good luck.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:

Which is one of the major arguments against urban sprawl. There was a time when towns were built in such a way that everything was within walking distance.

Then again, 15 miles is within biking distance, yet most people don't see it that way. It doesn't really matter whether winter or other weather interferes with riding your bike, because anytime you can ride your bike is better than nothing.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Biking...bah. I roller blade to public trans hubs and get around that way. Storage is so much easier and blading is a lot more fun. You're kinda screwed if it rains though.

The "bike/blade/pogo stick" to the office initiative is one that I'd love to see carried out, and not just because it would make my life a lot easier. It'd be good for the country, economically, healthy wise, pollution wise, and psychologically. Goodness knows, perhaps the rising gas prices might make this a possibility.

---

So, perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "stratgeic crude oil reserves" and "Increassed oil production" and "price for barrels of crude oil" things unrelated to what's actually happened? That is, except in public perception and people trying to make a quick buck out of it. We've lost refining capacity, not a significant volume of crude oil. The price of barrels of oil is going up because people see an oppurtunity to make money, not because there's any realistic reason why crude oil has become a more valuable commodity, right? I mean, the demand will be effectively lessened as the crude to refined oil throughput is now significantly lower until these refineries (or something replacing them) come back on line.

In the same vein, what the heck is having strategic reserves of crue oil or OPEC pumping out more crude oil going to help us with? As far as I can tell, the supply of crude hasn't changed.

Also, <insert rant about gas stations indulging in price gouging>.

[ August 31, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since prices went up this summer I had already been driving as little as possible, and combining errands so I can conserve gas, but now that school has started I'm going to need at least a tank a week even if I go nowhere but school and back.
I'm the same way. But my problem is that:

1. I live about 13 miles outside of the city limits

2. I'm a full time student in High-school. That means I have to be at school by 7:45 at the latest, which would put me at getting up around 5am to bike there.

3. I work in a theatre. I usually don't get off till about 2 or 3 am. I need to sleep at least 3 hours before even attempting to go to school.

4. I live in rural Indiana... There are a lot of hills, blind curves and pot-hole infested roads between me and town. there are several bicycling fatalities a year. I do not care to be one of them.

5. My income is not predictable. At the moment, I am getting steady work. However, since I'm low on the seniority list (but high on the skills list) I have little job security. If my Unions business agent only has 5 jobs open for a show, and none of them require one of my specific skills (rigging), then the odds of him getting through the 30 some people ahead of me is extremely low.

So basically, I'm going to have to go into debt, in order to have any hopes of one day being able to get out of it....

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

There are long lines outside the gas stations in Orlando. I'm visiting my brother tonight and on the way here, all of them had cars lined up into the street. I'm having flashbacks to the '70s.

There are rumors going around that gas will run out in all or part of Florida and I think people are panicking.

I tend to think that's crazy talk. In this case, I think the market will find a way, but we'll see.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Squick, opening up our crude oil reserves will do absolutely nothing to ease the gas crisis we seem to be finding ourselves in. The bottleneck right now is in refining the crude oil, not producing it. It's a gesture, pure and simple, designed to make people feel like the president is doing *something*, in much the same way the president's leaving his ranch and returning to Washington is a gesture.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...55 miles away from where I work driving an old Cadillac. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The upside of the rising gas prices is that it may focus our country on reducing its dependence on oil, and do it while oil is still plentiful enough that we'll have time to wean ourselves off of it.

Of course, a resonable person would have thought the same thing about the oil crisis of the 1970s, so you never know, but if I were to pick a silver lining for all of this that would be it.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Lots of gas stations with bags over the handles tonight. Had to pass three before I found a Shell with gas....
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

By the way, I think that before the country starts conserving energy, It'll turn to nuclear energy...in the nuclear cities. [Smile]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda looking forward to doing my errands on bike tomorrow. Everything is close enough, and I don't have to haul lots of groceries. I'll save a gallon of gas, at least. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I like living on a university campus in the middle of downtown. Classes? Five to fifteen minutes of walking. Food? In my dorm complex, and no more than twenty minutes to 50 restaurants. Mail? In my building. Doctor? Ten minutes. Library? Five minutes. My friends? Some are down the hallway. Movie theater? Twenty minutes. Rec center? Two minutes. Groceries are an issue, but I could probably ride the bus if I couldn't tag along when my friends with cars go.

Clearly, the solution is for all Americans to go back to college!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Orlando,Fl and I waited 1 hour for gas. I had to use premium because that was that was left. Many of the gas stations were out of gas, and the ones that werent has long lines to get gas.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to wait for gas last night, but that's because the the girl in front of me finished pumping gas, then spent TEN MINUTES CLEANING EVERY WINDOW ON HER CAR TWICE. I swear she did it just to annoy me. I don't know what's wrong with her. >_<

And I paid $36 for 14 gallons of gas. That should last me until a week from tomorrow, though, now that the drive to work is less than four miles.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I stand corrected: Bush has said that he hopes people will conserve gas.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:

Clearly, the solution is for all Americans to go back to college!

Really, colleges are a good model for planning. Many college not only have dorms for student housing, but also buy or build houses within walking distance to campus, which they sell to professors with the agreement that the proffessor has to sell it back to the college when they no longer work there.

Businesses (especially bars, but...) build up in a single district within walking distance, so students from campus can walk downtown for entertainment and shopping.

I question whether this is still true today, since most colleges have been in business for a long time. The infrastructure I'm talking about may predate the automobile in some cases, but thankfully colleges seem to stay in business for a very long time, so the infrastructure still exists.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Florida have its own refineries? Looking at the pipeline diagram... Pipeline Map
it appears that Florida is not connected to the Colonial Pipeline. It isn't all trucked in is it?

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The two short pipelines on the Florida peninsula both come from seaports. I'd guess that gasoline is brought to the seaports by ship, stored in tanks on shore and then transported by truck. Florida has a lot of coastline.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that it's Thursday andI just read the following on the NPR website.

quote:
President Bush acknowledged in a news conference Thursday there would be a temporary disruption in the nation's oil supply, and he called on the country to conserve energy. "Don't buy gas if you don't need it," Bush said.
Remember, you heard it first from The Rabbit at Hatrack.com
We need a gloating icon.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Look 4 posts back.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks Glenn, I appreciate nothing more than a man who admits he was wrong before it's pointed out.
camus
Member # 8052

"Europe will dip into its emergency stocks of gasoline to help the United States through an energy crisis that began when Hurricane Katrina smashed into Gulf coast refiners, EU governments said on Friday.

Spain and Germany said they were ready and able to send fuel across the Atlantic in an operation coordinated by the West's energy watchdog, the International Energy Agency. A U.S. government official confirmed Washington had asked for help and said most of the gasoline would come from Europe."

Hopefully this helps things a little.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

How long does it take an tanker of gasoline to cross the Atlantic?
I seem to recall it's something on the order of 2 weeks.

Depending on the extent of the damage, gasoline from Europe might not make it here before most of the refineries are back up and running.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure how feasible shipping gasoline was. I'm glad to hear this, although I think you might be right about the timeframe.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

Well, it's a nice gesture anyway. And just knowing that there is more coming might lessen some of the fear about shortages and keep the prices from getting out of control right now.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's very true, camus. It's stockpiling that will cause the major problems in the short term.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The IEA is releasing 60 million barrels of oil, gas and other refined materials over the next month, at 2 million barrels per day.

I don't know if that means giving, or selling, or what, but it certainly should help.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a very interesting article in today's Financial Times on the IEA move. Specifically, people are pointing out how the emphasis on the US's massive Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which has long been criticized by other countries, has been proven ineffective in a very important real world scenario. Instead, Europe's much smaller supply of emergency gasoline (both publicly and privately held) is proving far more effective.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
To put things in perspective, the IEA released 60 million barrels of oil and GW Bush authorized 30 million barrels to be released from our strategic reserves. Okay that's a start.

OPEC pumps out 30 million barrels per day.

I have a friend in the oil business, and the problem short-term is refining the crude oil we need for gasoline and other uses. Right now, the Federal Govt is struggling because its source of gasoline refining is without power due to Katrina. Expect gas to go to $4 per gallon if it is not already there.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Groan....I just spent $20 on 6 measley gallons of gas. I've also heard it's supposed to go up to $4 a gallon this weekend.
!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a truck that has horrible gas mileage, and I average about 11.1MPG, but I knew that going in so I couldn't complain because I tow and haul a lot of different stuff.

But the dang thing has a 37 gallon tank and the last time I filled up was about 3 weeks ago when gas was around $2.49. I never knew it before this vehicle, but gas pumps actually shut off automatically when you reach a certain dollar value. I have had pumps shut off at $50 and $75 even. This next fill is going to suck, big time. I might even have to reset the pump twice this next fill.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I feel much better now!
(I have a Ford Focus.)
[Razz]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't driven my car in over 2 weeks. I've been walking to and from school everyday (which sucks in 105 degree weather) and I've been joining carpools to Walmart. I have Corolla and get excellent mileage, but with friends hoping to get gas to go home and help their family...I can't in good conscious use gas that I can do without.

Compared to the thousands walking out of NOLA on foot, I don't mind the inconvience.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
I just did the conversion calculations from litres/CAD to gallons/USD for Newfoundland's current prices... CAD$1.35/Litre works out to... drumroll please... USD$4.29/gallon... and I just got a message saying that it'll probably be going past $1.40 tomorrow! I am so glad that I don't own a car.
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Alucard: also, that's 30 million gallons of petroleum, which isn't the big problem, the big problem is there are no refineries to refine the petroleum. Bush's gesture will have little effect besides symbolism, whereas the IEA release will reach the gasoline market within the next week or so.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually the SPR release will have SOME effect. Refineries are the ones who requested the release, thus, they will be using the oil released to make gas to make up for the interupted supply from the Gulf.

Also, I LOVE my Ford Focus. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking, and has some sweet freeway gas mileage.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I did say it would have little effect [Wink] .
CORPSE-A-TRON
Member # 8560

- posted      Profile for CORPSE-A-TRON           Edit/Delete Post 
If we didn't see the need to find alternative fuel sources and develop them, we should now...
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Bush's gesture will have little effect besides symbolism, whereas the IEA release will reach the gasoline market within the next week or so.
Symbolism will have a decent effect if it stops or reduces hoarding.

And you're not helping by pointing out the release won't increase gas supplies. [Razz]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Eh, the rest of the world has been telling the US to start stockpiling refined products for a while now, I'm perfectly happy to blame our government for not paying attention and then getting a bloody nose politically.

And get a bloody nose it has, the Financial Times yesterday used this headline to explain the situation: "Europe's offer of petrol places Bush in quandary" (its a British paper, so petrol means gasoline, here). Also, the immediate need for making gasoline out of what petroleum there is has led to a reduction in the production of heating oil . . . such that experts think there may well be a shortage of heating oil in the winter. Coincidentally, the IEA also has stockpiles of heating oil, while we do not.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I know this doesn't deal with lack of gas, but it was interesting.

This is still hype from the company, and there's some politicking in there. But, for what it's worth, a feasible method of producing petroleum from oil shale:

quote:
Shell's method, which it calls "in situ conversion," is simplicity itself in concept but exquisitely ingenious in execution. Terry O'Connor, a vice president for external and regulatory affairs at Shell Exploration and Production, explained how it's done (and they have done it, in several test projects):

Drill shafts into the oil-bearing rock. Drop heaters down the shaft. Cook the rock until the hydrocarbons boil off, the lightest and most desirable first. Collect them.

Please note, you don't have to go looking for oil fields when you're brewing your own.

On one small test plot about 20 feet by 35 feet, on land Shell owns, they started heating the rock in early 2004. "Product" - about one-third natural gas, two-thirds light crude - began to appear in September 2004. They turned the heaters off about a month ago, after harvesting about 1,500 barrels of oil.

While we were trying to do the math, O'Connor told us the answers. Upwards of a million barrels an acre, a billion barrels a square mile. And the oil shale formation in the Green River Basin, most of which is in Colorado, covers more than a thousand square miles - the largest fossil fuel deposits in the world.

Wow.

They don't need subsidies; the process should be commercially feasible with world oil prices at $30 a barrel. The energy balance is favorable; under a conservative life-cycle analysis, it should yield 3.5 units of energy for every 1 unit used in production. The process recovers about 10 times as much oil as mining the rock and crushing and cooking it at the surface, and it's a more desirable grade. Reclamation is easier because the only thing that comes to the surface is the oil you want.

If the yield is consistent - which is hardly a given - then each square mile would yield about 49 days worth of U.S. oil consumption. The 1,000 square miles of the formation would yield about 134 years worth of consumption at the current rate. Again, this is dependent on the process scaling up well enough. And, of course, consumption will likely increase. *sigh*

But it's still potentially good news.

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm down to less than half a tank, and starting to panic because I'm not sure how I'm going to get to work once I run out. I finally found a station that had gas yesterday, but they were only taking cash and all I had was a five. I paid $3.09. That station is out of gas now. I hear rumors about stations that have plenty of gas, but most of them are across the MS river from me, and I'm afraid if I drive all the way over there, I won't be able to find any. It's a pretty crappy situation all around. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.