FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kanye West - "George Bush doesn't care about black people." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kanye West - "George Bush doesn't care about black people."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see Kanye West and Mike Myers on the NBC Benefit Concert for hurricane relief?

Kanye clearly went off script and Mike Myers was obviously shocked by this. When West made the statement "George Bush doesn't care about black people", they quickly switched cameras to Chris Tucker who I think was eating a sandwich, either way it was clearly not scripted.

Full story on concert

quote:
“I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they’re looting. See a white family, it says they’re looking for food.
quote:
“George Bush doesn’t care about black people” and said America is set up “to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible.”
Look to the right, and click on the 'Kanye West off the script' link to see video

I understand his anger, but he picked the worst possible time to say it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
Another racist who fails to realize that the real line in this country is drawn between rich and poor, not black and white.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever he believes, it was very poorly timed--this program was designed to encourage people to contribute to the rescue and cleanup effort in New Orleans. Angry people don't write checks.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a joke.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were a black person following the media storm of what is going on in New Orleans right now, you might be a little unreasonably pissed yourself. I'm white, and it's pissing me off. There has been an inordinate amount of coverage about the violence and looting perpetrated by african americans during this disaster. When he says "If you see a black family, it says they’re looting. See a white family, it says they’re looking for food.", he is mostly right. And when he talks about the way the US is set up for disaster relief, with poor people and black people sent help last, well, you can see where he would think that, with the amazing lack of response the government has shown to this disaster, in an overwhelmingly poor and non-white area.

I'm not saying he chose the right forum to air his thoughts, but you could see him shaking with passion and anger when he spoke. He probably felt this was the only time he would really be able to get his point across, and that it needed to be said.
I applaud his bravery, in saying what he really felt, instead of sticking to a milk pap script, even if I dont completely agree with his message.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is bravery in the pursuit of harmful insults a virtue?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with showing mostly African Americans doing the looting is that, well, most of the people still in the city at the time were African American. That had to do with demographics, not racism, that's who lived in those areas of the city and many of the people in the Superdome were from the Ninth Ward area, which is mostly government housing and predominantly minority.

I did see whites going into the superdome and I've seen whites and hispanics on the media looting, but not all that many. And that's not because the media is purposefully editing the coverage, I don't think, I think it's just because that's who is there.

I did see many arrest photos from Mississippi of looters that were white or hispanic, along with looters that were African American and it seemed as if they were all being treated the same way by the police and the media.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I also have seen a ton of pictures of dead and dying people, mostly black, followed my people sending in huge amounts of money.

I have seen pictures of black people doing wonderful things trying to help their fellow man, and have seen a lot of stories of people of all races and creeds donating funds and supplies, and of rescue workers trying to help.

I dislike Bush, but this was hurtful, divisive, ane insulting, and I hope his "career" tanks because of this. . He just got his 15 min of fame, and he chose to be a racist with it.

He had no problem with taking white peoples money, and I bet he will still be fairly rich after all of this....so he is really part of the problem, rather than part of the solution.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Snopes on looting/'finding'
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a free country.

It was probably not the best time for Kanye West to voice his opinion in on this matter, but it was his opinion to voice.

George W. Bush has been extremely rich people friendly, poigntly noted in the Farenhieght 9/11 video where George W. Bush says "Good to see you, the Haves and the Have mores, or as i like to call you, my base."

The republican party did have a long Southern Strategy of being anti-black, which they have acknowledged and apologized for.

So was it poor taste?

Yes.

But...

Bush has caused far more damage to this country, its future and the world, than Kanye West's words ever could.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
And,

The Honorable Leonard Pitts of the Miami Herald pretty much said the same thing Kanye West said in a much better, more thought out column.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

"Is bravery in the pursuit of harmful insults a virtue?"

See, I dont see how most of what he had to say was "harmful insult".

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Calling Dubya an uncaring racist is an insult.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
What if it's true? Still an insult?
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

And it's also certainly harmful, for reasons described here.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Is Bush actually considered a racist? My cousin and uncle said that the reason New Orleans isn't getting as much help as they should be is because New Orleans is mostly black and Bush is racist. I tried to ask why they think that but I got yelled at a whole lot. Does anyone else believe that he is racist and can provide reasons for it?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
An insult can be true and still be an insult (note: I'm not saying it IS true, just arguing the abstract).

It can also be very poorly timed, which this was.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

I dislike Bush, but this was hurtful, divisive, ane insulting, and I hope his "career" tanks because of this. . He just got his 15 min of fame, and he chose to be a racist with it.

This is a tad off topic but 15 minutes of fame? I think he's well aware of his status famewise, and the fact that many of his fans (of which a much larger percentage is white then most other rappers) will listen to him. He thought that this issue needed to be talked about far more, and he made his stand.
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Bush is very, very, very PRO RICH.

A very large percentage of black people are not rich. Bush may not be racist, but sure as Heaven he doesn't know what it's like to be poor.

Bill Clinton was the closest thing America has ever had to a "Black President", and en mass Republicans HATED HIS GUTS and DAMNED HIM TO HELL.

Is America racist and sexist?

EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN PRESIDENT has been a White Man.

How many have their been? 43?

America enslaved black people for the color of their skin.

Fookin' A, B.

Let Kanye speak.

Don't like it?

Don't watch, don't listen.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

You white people should listen to Kanye West's
"Jesus Walks" it is very, very cool.

Let me guess, a lot of you don't like "that type of music".

It's a great song.

And a Great song is more important to this world that anything 90% of politicians do.

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could see this video, but I have a mac and Quicktime:(
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't like it?

Don't watch, don't listen.

No, don't like it, exercise our own freedom of speech to say exactly what we think of him and his lies.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

George W. Bush fights people he believes are the devil. He fights them with money, bombs and guns, Kanye may believe that George W. Bush is on the devil's team, so if he fights him with words and songs so be it.

Word and Song is MORE GODLY than guns, money and bombs.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, keep on singing, Thor...

I will pay as much attention to you as I usually do...

Which is to say little to none.

How's that world changing book coming? [Big Grin]

RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush has placed ENORMOUS amounts of trust and responsibility in the hands of minorities in his administratio - Condi Rice, Colin Powell and Alberto Gonzales just to name 3.

A racist?

C'mon, it's just not true.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
Word and Song is MORE GODLY than guns, money and bombs.
I haven't been impressed with Kanye's godliness.

Here are the lyrics to 'Gold Digger', from the Late Registration album.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

I dont know how Bush feels about people of different races. I dont know him, and I dont trust the media to give an accurate portrayal of anything having to do with his personal life. So, I cant call Bush a racist. I dont think that is what Kanye does. He says that Bush doesnt care about black people, and that the way this country is run stacks up against them.
Mr Bush has displayed plenty of care for the wealthy, and not a whole hell of a lot for anybody else. That includes poverty stricken black and white people.
I like Kanye. I like his music, and I think he is an interesting person. I agree with much of what he says, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me or others.
And Kwea, TSS makes a lot of valid points that you have mockingly brushed aside. I'm guessing he really doesnt care a whole hell of a lot that you dont listen to his song. I know I wouldnt.

bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
and that the way this country is run stacks up against them.
Kanye went a lot further than that. The transcript of his comments are here.

Here's the part that concerns me the most:
quote:
So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help -- with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way -- and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!
What this means, precisely, is not clear to me, but the last sentence sounds like he thinks New Orleans is under martial law. If you've spent any time on Hatrack the last two days, you know that's not the case. Accordingly, no one has permission to shoot anyone. A state of emergency has been declared; that's very different.

If you like Kanye, great; he's gotten a lot of buzz recently. Even Gold Digger is pretty catchy. However, his comments on the benefit were unfounded, poorly timed, and I think I'd need a degree in semiotics to make any coherent sense of them. I'm particulary disturbed by the fact that he choose to participate in a network event if he didn't think he could deliver the comments prepared for him. As someone said, Don't like it? Don't watch, don't listen.

Kanye West hijacked that benefit, plain and simple.

foundling
Member # 6348

Well, part of what he might mean is explained here: ABC News

There are some horrible things going on right now in New Orleans. Anarchy can bring out the scum of the earth, and law enforcement officers need to be able to protect the innocent any way they can.

However, I find these words disturbing:
"These troops are fresh back from Iraq, well trained, experienced, battle-tested and under my orders to restore order in the streets.

"They have M-16s and they are locked and loaded.

"These troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if necessary and I expect they will."

These soldiers wont be fighting insurgents bent on killing as many of them as possible. They will mostly be dealing with desperate people who need to steal to survive.

One police officer "admitted that a number of police officers who had lost everything in flooding after Hurricane Katrina had handed in their badges, unwilling to take the fight to looters." They recognize that these people are just trying to survive. Will troops with guns fresh to the scene feel the same way? Lets hope so.

bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
A National Guardsman was shot outside the Superdome and a shot was also fired at a Chinook helicopter taking part in the operation to move refugees out of the stadium, officials said.
The National Guard is on the scene because NO's local law enforcement has effectively abdicated its duties after a prolonged period of stress.

quote:
W. J. Riley, the assistant superintendent of police, said there were about 1,200 officers on duty on Saturday. He said the department was not sure how many officers had decided to abandon their posts and how many simply could not get to work.
New York Times article quoted above

quote:
{New Orleans law enforcement} recognize that these people are just trying to survive. Will troops with guns fresh to the scene feel the same way? Lets hope so.
There's a vast difference between trying to find food for your family and trying to shoot down a Chinook helicopter. No one with that type of firepower is "just trying to survive." Stabilization efforts--aimed at people trying to shoot down helicopters--are not fun exercises; they are an integral part of being able to supply the poor with things they need, like food, water and medicine.

As you have indicated,
quote:
Anarchy can bring out the scum of the earth.
So what is your point, exactly? The National Guard, who apparently has nothing better to do, is going to descend on New Orleans to "misunderstand" gunfire around the Superdome? That they will somehow be confused by the notion that they must provide food to the hungry?
foundling
Member # 6348

"There's a vast difference between trying to find food for your family and trying to shoot down a Chinook helicopter. No one with that type of firepower is "just trying to survive." Stabilization efforts--aimed at people trying to shoot down helicopters--are not fun exercises; they are an integral part of being able to supply the poor with things they need, like food, water and medicine."

This paragraph I agree with completely. Like I said, there are bad people out there doing bad things, and security forces are there to stop them.

However, this: "So what is your point, exactly? The National Guard, who apparently has nothing better to do, is going to descend on New Orleans to "misunderstand" gunfire around the Superdome? That they will somehow be confused by the notion that they must provide food to the hungry?", I dont get.
I thought my point was pretty clear. That when Kanye west said "and they've given them permission to go down there and shoot us", he wasnt pulling crap out of his ass.
You said "Accordingly, no one has permission to shoot anyone. A state of emergency has been declared; that's very different." That is no longer true. National Gaurdsmen, who dont really have anything better do than save a city full of people, have been given permission to "shoot to kill".
A black man has reason to be nervous in a situation like this.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Yes, he was. They have been permittied to exchange fire with people who shoot at them...so unless he figures ONLY blacks will be doing that, he is full of crap to put it politely.

No one has given anyone orders (or permission) to go into town and start shooting anyone, unless they are under fire themselves.

Stop shooting at me vs stop stealing food...

Big friggin difference.

bunbun
Member # 6814

quote:
National Gaurdsmen, who dont really have anything better do than save a city full of people, have been given permission to "shoot to kill".
A black man has reason to be nervous in a situation like this.

A shoot to kill order does not mean that they have permission to shoot anyone they think deserving on site. We're not talking about National Guardsmen being authorized to shoot people stealing bread.

quote:
"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."
quote:
A day after Nagin took 1,500 police officers off search-and-rescue duty to try to restore order in the streets, there were continued reports of looting, shootings, gunfire and carjackings.
washingtonpost.com article quoted above
Additional Army Times article

Any man has to be nervous under these conditions. These aren't traffic stops, it's an organized attempt whose sole purpose is to save people by giving them food and water--where do you think the confusion comes in?

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

So has America been good and fair to black people?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ask a relevant question, Thor.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Have black people been good and fair to America?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silverblue Sun:
It's a free country.

It was probably not the best time for Kanye West to voice his opinion in on this matter, but it was his opinion to voice.

George W. Bush has been extremely rich people friendly, poigntly noted in the Farenhieght 9/11 video where George W. Bush says "Good to see you, the Haves and the Have mores, or as i like to call you, my base."

The republican party did have a long Southern Strategy of being anti-black, which they have acknowledged and apologized for.

So was it poor taste?

Yes.

But...

Bush has caused far more damage to this country, its future and the world, than Kanye West's words ever could.

We may live in a free country, but when West voiced his opinion during a benefit special on a network's airtime that he didn't pay for, he doesn't have the right to voice it on national television at that time. He shouldn't have used airtime that wasn't his to do this, particularly when it's to raise money to help the people of New Orleans.
Quoting Fahrenheit 9/11 is like quoting a piece of propaganda. Even Moore, when confronted with the fallacies of the movie, called it such. Either way, though, both of the major parties in this country have at their base the rich; it's where they get the money to run campaigns.
You seem to forget that Abraham Lincoln was president during the Civil War. Oh yeah, he was a Republican. This isn't to say that the Republican party hasn't treated blacks badly, but it was a nationwide trend to do so, so the blame doesn't lie solely with them; at least they did more than the Democratic party did.
As RoyHobbs stated, Bush has appointed a number of minority people to his administration. Calling him a racist is unfair and untrue.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Republicans of the 19th century and Republicans of the 21st century would get into a fist fight over policy if they ever met each other.

It's comparing apples to oranges.

Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican too. He'd be called a radical liberal today.

Be careful.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I think it depends on who you ask, what ideology TR would be called today [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's a good point.

What do you think personally?

Just curious.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't think so, he sponsered the largest social program of all time, the very thing that the Repblicans ridicule and protest agains these days. Hell, they run entire campaigns using a "that isn't us" platform, and win. [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought Franklin Roosevelt sponsored the largest social program of all time?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'm not sure WHERE I'd put him, but 'liberal' and 'gunboat diplomacy' don't mix, do they?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

LBJ did more than FDR, although the New Deal was a bigger change from the status quo than the Great Society was.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No I suppose not Rakeesh. I'd say in foreign relations he is closer to a 21st century Republican. But in almost all domestic policies he's more akin to a 21st century liberal.
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
Kanye West.....

What a jackass. I think it was uncalled for and racist. But whatever... I won't get started on the screwed up view of racism in todays society.
I hope his career suffers from his poor timing and 'everyone's against us' attitude, but I know that his target audience loved it... and he will only get more fame. Everyone who hated him before still does, only more. He doesnt care though. He's laughing at the hate all the way to the bank, in his mercedes.. stretch limo... with platinum diamond rims....

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Who hated Kanye before this?
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to say that I did.....

Also... Uhm.... people who mostly listen to country or classical music. Perhaps... fans of punk and ect.

btw... when I say 'hate'.....

'hate' = disliking his music and world views ect.... not... I hate that person and I hope they drop a hammer on the toe when not wearing shoes... hate.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly listen to classical music, and I'd never heard of this guy before this video.

I still only have a very vague idea of who he is.

I feel bad for Mike Myers in that video, though.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ahhh, while I do know the difference between them, I had a brain fart and though you were talking about FDR...sorry 'bout that.. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.